Music people - post a pic of your setup

2»

Comments

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I like the look of some of these funky lil usb keyboards u guys are using. As a lil dude with no mpc if i get 1 of these can i tap out a beat on it & load it up with a chopped sample?? Im clueless when it comes to midi stuff.
    I hear its slightly delayed & not as instant as tappin on an mpc but i could live with that because at the moment all ive got is a mixer, turntables & my pc so you dont wanna see a picture of that.
    Any info on the above & recommended models would be apprecieted. Thankyou please.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    you need a good soundcard, one with asio, and a good pc, lots of ram. Then there is no latency when you hit the keys. If your using like a soundblaster card though your going to have problems.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I got a decent amount of ram, 2gigs, cos i play alot of geek games. I could use a new soundcard though but i might have a friend that has a pretty good 1 that i can convince him to sell.

• I see way tooooo many MPC2000s...

Got some other Gear thats at the studio now or not included in the picture since I'm changing it all up with new monitors, stands and a quicklok for the mpc:

-mackie 24-8
    -more mpcs
    -crappy hifi reference monitors
    -Logic control
    -RME Multiface

• MortiMorti 68 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    not a good setup pic,....i really love my new lamp though!

• looks hella comfy upskiboo!

• I see way tooooo many MPC2000s...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

Thanks for the info. I got a decent amount of ram, 2gigs, cos i play alot of geek games. I could use a new soundcard though but i might have a friend that has a pretty good 1 that i can convince him to sell.
    i would try to get a pro audio card. The ones for gaming would work, but There is more options and i/o for recording with the pro audio ones. Check these out.
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Audio-Interfaces--2418
    if your not doing a lot of recording, get a 2 channel or 4 channel input. If you are using midi which it sounds like you want to, get one with a midi in built it. Firewire/pci/usb is up to you. I would go for an intermediate card if i was starting out with pc recording. SOmething below $400. I use a maudio delta 66 and a tascam us244 for my laptop. The maudio is tight and gives me no problems 4 ins 4 outs analog 2 digi i/o. i get no latency issues with it on this pc which has only 586 ram in it. The tascam has some driver compatibility problems and only 2 ins so im not feeling it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    took these right now. Some of you dudes have some set ups!

rocking ableton. thats the best tool in my lab. Loving those electric keyboards too man.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Some of you dudes have some set ups!

Yes indeed.

izm707 - nice studio!
    LowEnd, is that last pic of yours a studio you work at or your home?

Always cool to see how people are set up. I used to have a lot of gear (24 ch mixer, outboard processors, vintage keys and drum machines), but then I moved to a tiny apartment, and I didn't have space for it all. Sold a lot of stuff.

Now, I moved in with my girlfriend a year ago, and I've got a whole room just for all my crap, so I'm starting to stack up again. I feel pretty good about not having too much, though. It's cool to have a lot of options, but most times you find yourself returning to the same tools/gear, and the other stuff just sits there.

A lot of times the people I collaborate with bring the gear instead of having it collect dust here. Or I bring the powerbook and do some remote recordings at their location. For instance, I've sold my Ace Tone Organ and MiniMoog to my friend who plays keys for me when I need something above my own rudimentary abilities. I mean, I could have kept it, like "yeah, I've got a Moog", but I'm not the guy with the George Duke skills - he is. So he just brings it over when I need it on a track. That way it's gets used a lot more (he's a busy studio/live player), and I get more space. I don't like when my working space gets too cramped.

thats where i work at. A mackie 24/8 and 2 adats. pro tools in the corner and some cool outboard gear. At home i keep it simple. I used to have a lot of rack mount samplers, 6 groovebox/samplers, a few va synths, an akai dps12, and some outboard pres and compressors.but money got rough for a while and i said screw it and downloaded mad software to replace the hardware. Never looked back. I think a good pc rig, and the knowledge of how to flip it, you can get the same results with hardware or software. Especially due to the availability of cracked software. You can now have a monster pc, without dropping too much. Im not advocating piracy, but when your broke you got to do what you gotta do. And to me a price tag shouldn't interfere with my production. when i do get some real cash though i will buy all the software im using, due to things like registration, tech support, and upgrades.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    from 1970 to 1976 it was here:

now, i haven't really done anything with this yet:

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I think a good pc rig, and the knowledge of how to flip it, you can get the same results with hardware or software.

Nah man... software does not sound as good as hardware. It is comparable, but it does not sound the same. A real 1176 or a real Pultec will sound better than the software versions, believe that.

• from 1970 to 1976 it was here:

now, i haven't really done anything with this yet:

Sexy Neve!!!!

Atleast you put the obligatory Ashtray in place already

Whats the joint ontop of the Rhodes? I've seen these before but cant put my finger on it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ARP/Solina String Ensemble
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Now that's what I'm talking about. I see... a Big Muff a Proco Rat, an old school moog phaser? What's the rest?

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Please to be explainful of the hat.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Please to be explainful of the hat.

haha i was about to mention the same thing

props to those rockin the 60's/3000's
    im in oklahoma right now and cant show yall my studio
    some of you fools got some nice setups

karlophone, do you own stock in post-it notes? damn dude they are everywhere
    ill be joinin you on the minimoog purchase real soon
    that thing is definitely a savings account bandit

monty what model neve is that?

• montymonty 420 Posts
    custom 8028, still in service at Sound City Studios, Van Nuys.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

id really like to have one of those in service in my apartment haha
    i went onto their website to see what was custom about it
    you have any idea?

ive been checkin out some neve sidecars. i see some get custom jobs done to them, mostly replacing the eqs with some 1073s. this needless to say raises the price to pretty much a one bedroom apt mortgage level.
    anyone on this board got a neve sidecar? what you usin it for and how much you dig it?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

lol, cool, you were over at sound city? I was working there alot last year. Nice place. Dope console, i wonder if thats the one they recorded nirvanna with.

• karlophone, do you own stock in post-it notes? damn dude they are everywhere

hahaha i cleaned out office max dude! naw, just my goofy system(s) of doing stuff, combined with the illness of: having to write everything down, or forgetting everything.

ill be joinin you on the minimoog purchase real soon
    that thing is definitely a savings account bandit

the voyager is just about the finest-made instrument of modern times. aside from the display screen, youd swear its old store stock from some nuclear science lab in 1960. solid as a rock. guitar center will do about 15% off their list if you get aggro. id say dont go for the performance guarantee, these things wont die and its close to 3K as it is.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

Now that's what I'm talking about. I see... a Big Muff a Proco Rat, an old school moog phaser? What's the rest?

- spidey
    LtoR..Maestro phaser, MXR flanger, Electro Harmonics freq. analyzer, neXt distortionX, pro co rat, big muff (and an echoplex thats kinda hard to see in one of the other pics). all running into a Shure vocal master PA head and an old SUN bass coliseum cabinet..its kind of an odd setup but it works.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i aint balling like everyone else in this thread but i just bought this today and its fucking awesome