• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    yes fanboy

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Here we go.

I agree.

How could you leave out these people?!?

I'm a fan, but Genius......no.

Will every great producer will be mentioned by this time tommorrow?

Whomever "created" the Scratch.

• I love this dude (no homo). but a genius he was not.

Cab someone list the criteria for the GENIUS status?

A genius is a person with distinguished mental abilities. This can manifest either as a foremost intellect, or as an outstanding creative talent. The term also applies to one who is a polymath, or someone skilled in many mental areas. The term specifically applies to mental rather than athletic skills, although it is also colloquially used to denote the possession of a superior talent in any field; e.g., Maradona may be said to have a genius for football, or Winston Churchill for statesmanship.[/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I ain't calling Eazy E a genius, but there can be no
    doubt he absolutely KILLED IT on those NWA tracks.

I'm sorry, take him off Straight Outta Compton and
    you have a forgotten record.

• MANIFEST!!!

• I ain't calling Eazy E a genius, but there can be no

I dunno man, you'd still have some great beats and, presumably, a notebook full of unspitten dope lyrics by cube.

• A genius is a person with distinguished mental abilities. This can manifest either as a foremost intellect, or as an outstanding creative talent [/b].

Thats big L alright

• ANDRE 3000 AND FUCKING SCOTT STORCH???

now please...

I never understood the hate on Andre 3000... it must be the clothes.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wrong graemlin. try another.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

ANDRE 3000 AND FUCKING SCOTT STORCH???

now please...

I never understood the hate on Andre 3000... it must be the clothes awful solo album[/b].

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

thank you

• I never understood the hate on Andre 3000... it must be the clothes awful solo album[/b].

"Hey Ya" anyone ? As played out is it is...one of the greatest jams. Agree to disagree.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Pimp C.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    early dj muggs. that stanky blues funk in hip hop is the shit.

prince paul for sure

kid koala and qbert for making their music so visual

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i dunno about half of the posts in this thread. Once i saw some asshole put lil wayne in i had to skip to the last page.
    people i think are on some genius shit are

madlib is on some next level shit but i dunno bout genius material
    ghostface has his genius moments
    questlove is on some next level shit also

the term genius though gets the gasface. Whos definition are we basing this on? I believe ALOT of the dudes involved with hip hop and revolutionizing the game are just hard working, creative individuals who stumble upon those lucky accidents that make any genre of music fresh. But to label them geniuses? ehhhhhhh........ I would label what a lot of these people are posting as entrepreneurs and great businessmen. But to say that jayz or rakim are mensa material..................ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

• I believe ALOT of the dudes involved with hip hop and revolutionizing the game are just hard working, creative individuals who stumble upon those lucky accidents that make any genre of music fresh. But to label them geniuses?

Is it just a coincidence then when somebody "stumbles on happy accidents" over and over or do these people actually have a vision and know what it is they are trying to accomplish? The reality is that genius is the wrong terminology to describe the people we are now talking about. A set group of criteria needs to be established in order to effectively carry out this thread...

And fuck, I'M SORRY I mentioned scott starch, I said I take it back TWICE already so get off my case people. Focus on all of the other legit names I mentioned. Like E-40, the self-made millionaire and slanguage director of the game.

• iDox?

• yeah, thanks for taking scott storch off this list. making hit records doesn't make anyone a genius. vanilla ice made a hit record and he's a fuckin moron.

did anyone say sean combs? he's a genius. i'll say it.

did anyone say 9th wonder? no? good, he's not a genius.

premier? yes. guru? no.

hmmm... what about kwame, the boy genius? maybe not.

what about GZA? probably.

i'll cosign on andre 3000, i just want to add big boi in too. if you can do it your way and still appeal to the masses = genius.

eazy e though? genius? wasn't he just following direction from heller? and then screwed his friends over? wasn't he responsible for discovering one of the most annoying groups ever? bone thugs n harmony? they're some wack ass wack for sure.

jay z - yop.

beastie boys are genius.

eminem may even get status. he makes shitty records but that dude can rap writtens and freestyles around most rappers that ever existed.

genius = dondi, ramelzee. dave chappelle. ?uestlove for sure. dilla.

but yeah, the use of genius in this thread is being used very liberally.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Paul C.

• Kwame
    Dilla
    MC Paul Bartman
    Nas
    Ced Gee
    The Great Peso
    DMC
    Rick Rubin
    Method Man
    Redman
    Method Man Redman ("Month Of The Man" = genius marketing plan)
    Ghostface Killah
    MC Lyte
    Genius (but not GZA)
    Tim Dog
    MC Breed
    Bizarre
    The Game
    Malachi The Nutcracker
    most white rappers and producers
    Prince Po
    Large Professor
    Jay-Z
    Jaz-O
    Jazzy Jay
    Jazzy Jeff
    Lord Jazz
    Casual
    Chad Hugo (possibly Pharrell)
    Omar Epps
    Spoonie Gee
    Jin
    Slim Thug
    MC Hammer (you damn skippy)
    MC Ren
    E Money Bags
    David Banner (if not genius then at least very smart for a southern rapper)
    Camp Lo
    Diddy (but not Puffy, Puff Daddy, P. Diddy and certainly not Sean Combs)
    Yung Dro
    Birdman

There are a lot of geniuses in Hip Hop.

• MARLEY MARL definitely.

The man pretty much singlehandedly saved hip hop in the mid 80's from a slow, drum machine-induced death. THE pioneer of sampling in hip hop.
    And his body of work??
    Just seriously think for a moment... what would hip hop be like WITHOUT his discography?

• Mr Gerbick..........

Haha.. I hadn't listened to Dr. Octagon in a few years, and I was driving around with a friend one night.. He puts that song on that starts off introducing Mr. Gerbick and I nearly drove off the road from laughing so hard.

Omar Epps

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

ANDRE 3000 AND FUCKING SCOTT STORCH???

now please...

I never understood the hate on Andre 3000... it must be the clothes awful solo album[/b].

That's what I'm saying.

Anyone that doesn't understand the "hate" must never have heard the first three Outkast albums.

One of the absolute best rappers of his era turns his back on rapping in order to sing (which it turns out he can't actually do), compose (which it turns out he can't actually do), and act (which it turns out he can't actually do).

How can you not hate?

• I had to go through this whole post before I weighed in. I would say that from a standpoint of actually listening to Hip-Hop since '79, being involved since '83 on, this genre hasn't given itself to celebrating genius. there have been technological
    advances and great composers, writers/ artist, but not so many geniuses.

Off the top, I would say there were 4, and this is open for debate..
    Grandmaster Flash
    Marley Marl
    Rakim
    Phase 2

What they bought to the table is being dissected and studied to this day.

A lot of the people you call genius are innovators and some are just plain lucky. Not many are true geniuses.