WHO'S A GENIUS IN HIP-HOP?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I dont throw this word around lightly - but I think there's a handful of some real visionary dudes:

Comments

• oh, and:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I like him but genius-level is IMO.

Plus Big Boi's balance has to be factored in.

• feel free to disagree with these:

When is Biggie and 2Pac gonna be throen in the mix?

feel free to disagree with these:

Now it just comes down to making hits?

• lil jon took hip hop and made millions on his own with it while also defining a sub-genre of hip hop, that's genius.

pharrell made millions, tons of hits, and now owns his own business(es) that are making him even more money, all from hip hop. that's pretty genius.

Storch just makes amazing fuckin beats regardless of how hard he seems to try, and i think that's pretty genius.

and here:

U put Scott Storch on the same level as Grandmaster Flash & Russell Simmons?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    fuck scott storch

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I like Eazy as much as anyone, but dude didn't even write his own shit. Or are you talking genius for putting together NWA?

..and yeah,
    fuck scott storch

that dude has zero place in this thread

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Regardless of who wrote it, Eazy was a good rapper.

I like Eazy as much as anyone, but dude didn't even write his own shit. Or are you talking genius for putting together NWA?

Not for "lyrics" but for popularizing "Gangsta Rap".

• U put Scott Storch on the same level as Grandmaster Flash & Russell Simmons?

i didn't think we were comparing people here. the original quaestion was "Who is a genius in hip hop?" not "Who is more of a genius than whoever else in hip hop?" so, no, I do not put them on the same level. Scott Storch is a genius on the level of artistry. Russel Simmons is a genius on the level of business. If you don't think Scott Storch is extremely talented with making hip hop/rap beats then I woudl wonder if you were retarded. Besides, like i said, feel free to disagree, I was just putting it out there.

If you don't think Scott Storch is extremely talented with making hip hop/rap beats then I woudl wonder if you were retarded.

BAN

There's a gang of cats who are "extremely talented", but that doesnt mean theyre genius.

• I agree with this. But I hate that photo of him in trendy "streetwear" shop.

This is more like it:

GENIUS!

Oh- I forgot about somebody...

• haha BAN cuz I think scott storch is dope or because I virtually called you retarded?

Fine then, if asses are hurting, fuck scott storch. Strike him from the record. I guess he really hasn't done anything genius aside form making hit after hit, effortlessly.

And to follow that, would you consider Premier a genius?

• what about:

geniius or just a madman?

Fine then, if asses are hurting, fuck scott storch. Strike him from the record. I guess he really hasn't done anything genius aside form making hit after hit, effortlessly.

Hit Making = Genius?

As many cats have copied Premier's style and still do to this day, YES.

• I agree with this. But I hate that photo of him in trendy "streetwear" shop.

lol. sorry to say it dude, but that's EXACLTY where dude belongs these days. complete with the imac, skateboards and japanese collectible toys in the background.

• I like Eazy as much as anyone, but dude didn't even write his own shit. Or are you talking genius for putting together NWA?

Man I guess I just take issue with the definition of "genius" in this thread.

I mean, is it genius for a little kid to set up a lemonade stand on a hot day?

Eazy E "fell" into a genre that happened to blow up. But even so, he did not capitalize on it NEARLY to the extent that a "genius" would have. It was all about making money, he made some pretty un-genius moves (see Jerry Heller). A genius he was not.

• Hit Making = Genius?

As I said, you can strike storch form this list. MY BAD. haha.

As many cats have copied Premier's style and still do to this day, YES.

Umm, bedroom producers don't count...... But I'll agree, he was genius. as was:

• whoa. beat me.

Man I guess I just take issue with the definition of "genius" in this thread.

I mean, is it genius for a little kid to set up a lemonade stand on a hot day?

Eazy E "fell" into a genre that happened to blow up. But even so, he did not capitalize on it NEARLY to the extent that a "genius" would have. It was all about making money, he made some pretty un-genius moves (see Jerry Heller). A genius he was not.

Ask all the NWA members who orchestrated the concept. "Fell" into a genre that happeend to blow up?
    There's Gangsta rap before NWA and after NWA.