WHO'S A GENIUS IN HIP-HOP?

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    the reason this thread is suspect is that people are just repping their favorite artists. the only people on here i would consider genius would probably be prince paul, rza, and dj shadow.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

this thread is just getting hilarious now.

I'll say. It turned into "Artists I like and/or have sold a bunch of records are geniuses!" even quicker than a thread about classic albums devolves into "Albums I like and/or have sold a lot of copies are classic!"

BTW, somebody's gotta put up Paul C as a genius. May as well be me. (No, I'm not being sarcastic about that.)

• Flava Flav is definitely not a genius.

The Yang to Chuck D's Yin. Take Flav's vocals away from P.E.'s albums and shit changes dramatically.

and that makes Flava Flav a genius how? If anything, it makes a stronger case for Chuck D for making sure he had a hype man that would offset the seriousness of his tone.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm just saying, it takes more than luck and hot beats to have chart topping singles for 10 years straight. Please name a few artists who have reached this mark that you would not consider genius...

LL

• the reason this thread is suspect is that people are just repping their favorite artists. the only people on here i would consider genius would probably be prince paul, rza, and dj shadow.

Really? Wow. You wouldn't consider Dre, Rick Rubin, GM Flash, Rakim, etc. genius? Wow. To each his own, but that's kinda surprising. Maybe half my picks aren't geniuses, but some heads here you can't really deny...

• I'm just saying, it takes more than luck and hot beats to have chart topping singles for 10 years straight.

it does? i'd say hot beats are pretty much all it takes these days, and has been for at least ten years.

• I'm just saying, it takes more than luck and hot beats to have chart topping singles for 10 years straight. Please name a few artists who have reached this mark that you would not consider genius...

LL

And LL's chart topping singles every year for the past 10 years were? I don't even think he's had an album every year. In fact, I think Busta has more albums and hit singles than LL, and he's had a shorter career by about 8 or 9 years...

I'm just saying, it takes more than luck and hot beats to have chart topping singles for 10 years straight. Please name a few artists who have reached this mark that you would not consider genius...

LL

And LL's chart topping singles every year for the past 10 years were? I don't even think he's had an album every year. In fact, I think Busta has more albums and hit singles than LL, and he's had a shorter career by about 8 or 9 years...

You going to have to give more evidence than charting to convince me that Busta Rhymes is a Genius.

• Hmm. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, I can't really pitch it better right now. I just think he's made all the right moves and decisions to get where he got, and most rappers aren't smart enough to make that work, especially not for that long. It takes a certain understanding of the industry and the trends to remain current and in the spotlight so consistently, and I really can't think of anybody else who has done that as well as Busta except maybe Jay-Z, and Jay had Dame's help for a lot of that.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    timbaland.

• Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society

...which is what exactly?

It's all rorschach baby. That's tha point. I can't tell you what it means to you, only what it means to me.

And to me it all comes down to the flightcrank remix of Leave Me Alone, that's a keith gem I found after some digging, and damned if it isn't more euphoric than whatever smoking crack might feel like, I sho wouldn't know...ask Clipse.

Or maybe sampling Cabin Boy for Half Shark, It's a statement about the fact that we may fish our oceans to death by 2040.

Pittsburg Pirate/Admire it

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I'll say. It turned into "Artists I like and/or have sold a bunch of records are geniuses!" even quicker than a thread about classic albums devolves into "Albums I like and/or have sold a lot of copies are classic!"

BTW, somebody's gotta put up Paul C as a genius. May as well be me. (No, I'm not being sarcastic about that.)

he's a genius rapper. its like he was born with the gift. if you've heard him freestyle (not to mention his mixtapes or albums) you'd be wrong to disagree. "very natural flow"

• K-Fed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Flava Flav is definitely not a genius.

The Yang to Chuck D's Yin. Take Flav's vocals away from P.E.'s albums and shit changes dramatically.

and that makes Flava Flav a genius how? If anything, it makes a stronger case for Chuck D for making sure he had a hype man that would offset the seriousness of his tone.

Neither are genius - Public Enemy is. That means - Chuck, Flav, terminator x, S1W's, bomb squad, the artwork, videos etc. As soon as those elements weren't together ( right after "Planet" - the prime bomb squad disbanded) - PE were no longer genius.

Read the article in http://www.waxpoetics.com/issues/issue_17/ and I dare you to disagree.

is an understatement.

• timbaland.

definitely innovative....

• All these posts and no on mentioned Danno.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

this thread is just getting hilarious mastubatory now.

Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society

...which is what exactly?

It's all rorschach baby. That's tha point. I can't tell you what it means to you, only what it means to me.

And to me it all comes down to the flightcrank remix of Leave Me Alone, that's a keith gem I found after some digging, and damned if it isn't more euphoric than whatever smoking crack might feel like, I sho wouldn't know...ask Clipse.

Or maybe sampling Cabin Boy for Half Shark, It's a statement about the fact that we may fish our oceans to death by 2040.

Pittsburg Pirate/Admire it

No doubt, but the Cabin Boy sample seems to be an Automater idea hence the name Sharkman Pubilshing.

Mr Gerbick..........

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

he's a genius rapper. its like he was born with the gift. if you've heard him freestyle (not to mention his mixtapes or albums) you'd be wrong to disagree. "very natural flow"

I don't even know who that little kid is.

Geniuses:

Prince Paul
    PE
    Luke Skyywalker (yeah, I said it)
    Too Short (maybe...)
    RZA
    Ghostface

• how about:

dude managed to stay current and up date and was able to sell albums consistently (or pretty consistently) for over a decade. genius?

No, but props for being one of the hardest working dudes in the industry.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hank and Keith Shocklee.

• when it comes to putting on a live rap show, I'd like to think Doug E. Fresh is a genius.

• SD50's

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society, and reflects the listener's biases and memes back at them.

LOL... whatever makes you feel less embarassed about listening to that schitt.

Storch is a knob twister in the most square and low-road tradition. He makes predictable hits, I love Don't Say Nothin and a bunch of his smackdowns, but they are not illuminated by anything more than basic graph-paper theories.

The return of iDox?

• BIG WORD on shocklee, bellcity!

now, lets get to it:
    WHAT THE FOOK IS WRONG WITH YALL????
    ANDRE 3000 AND FUCKING SCOTT STORCH???

now please...
    How could you leave out these people?!?

as already mentioned:

&

so many missing that brought us amazing shit, but who of them is really genius...?

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts