THE WIRE AVATAR APPRECIATION THREAD

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I just bought the first three seasons. My girl is hella mad.

man, i would so love to be watching all of them for the first time again. I gotta check out season 1 again. I just remember bodie being so young.

Season 3 is still my fave, but this season tackled the problems with our school systems so brilliantly that i gotta put it up there too.

Next season is all about the media i guess. Sounds brilliant already.

• man, i would so love to be watching all of them for the first time again. I gotta check out season 1 again. I just remember bodie being so young.

bodie is small timehustler for life. can he afford a car? does he have any plans of promotion. he seems fairly content just holding down a corner and spitting out the side of his mouth wvery once in a while. maybe poot being back will reinvigorate him to get up get out and get somethin

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    This is my fave season right here, I am in love with all these kids I guess, they are just so hilarious/heartbreaking, shit just connects to me as a teacher more than any other season. I even talk about the show with some of my students, apparently BET is going to start showing old seasons? My kids are into it!

• I just saw season two which was very powerful. It's the best show on television.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I just bought the first three seasons. My girl is hella mad.

yup

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just saw season two which was very powerful. It's the best show on television.

Yes, people seem to complain about this one as being too slow, but I thought it was just so deep about what happened down on the docks, while still keeping up with the Barksdale crew.

• i don't get it.

• bodie is small timehustler for life. can he afford a car? does he have any plans of promotion. he seems fairly content just holding down a corner and spitting out the side of his mouth wvery once in a while. maybe poot being back will reinvigorate him to get up get out and get somethin

My man Bodie had better figure out a plan soon....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I just saw season two which was very powerful. It's the best show on television.

Yes, people seem to complain about this one as being too slow, but I thought it was just so deep about what happened down on the docks, while still keeping up with the Barksdale crew.

I ride for Season 2 as well, even though most of my Wire-loving friends don't. I think Season 2 is when it all came together as a different beast entirely, breaking free of a lot of cop-show cliches that Season 1 exploited and turned inside out to great effect. And then Season 3 combined it all with spectacular payoff. But Season 3 would not have the heft it does without all the Season 2 depth.

• yo... had to switch it up and ride with my entrepreneurial youngin. Anybody want that Snoop, she's all yours

• man, i got my fingers crossed for him, but dude is in a precarious situation.

• man, i got my fingers crossed for him, but dude is in a precarious situation.

yeah... I'm watching the last episodes of this season tonight. Got my fingers crossed too but schitt ain't lookin' good, knowing the people he's now on the wrong side of.
    T**y, i imagine this season with the youngins must hit home with you a little bit, right?

• yeah, shit is pretty crazy. i see so many teachers who are clueless and disconnected like prezbo was at first. and the kids who get mixed up in shit is evident, but still surprising. i taught a couple classes at strawberry mansion last week and on the way back, i rode (on bike) through mantua. at a desolate corner, at 1pm, i see two guys who i used to work wiht years ago when they were in 4th grade. shoulda been seniors,about ot graduate, but they were standing next to the grocery store. so we were talking and one of the old janitors from UcityHischool (they all got moved or laid off when the school privatized the cleaning) rolls up to them on a bike, ready to cop. he sees me and kinda plays it off and acts like he was just saying hi. i told the boys to be safe and i broke out. it wasnt realy a bad situation...just kinda bleak

the whole scene seemed straight out of the wire.sadly,all their school scenes seem real, so i assume that the depiction of homelife is realistic too.

• yeah, unfortunately the home situations are VERY realistic in a lot of cases. obviously every kid in the hood isn't dealing with schitt as bad as what Dukie and Michael have to go through, but way too many definitely are. it's just sad, because i know you know a lot of these youngins deep down are not bad kids... just came up in a bad environment and feel like they have no way out. I really love the way The Wire shows the truth about schitt like this, not just showing the criminals and thugs but also showing the bleak childhood conditions that made them what they are

• freal. the thing is 99% of the students ive worked with oevr the last ten years have been really good kids. these last few years in high school some of the "bad" kids are fine when given the right situation. ive taught knife skills (for cooking...no ninja) to packed classrooms, with dozens of knives out...and have never had the remotest problem. i really like a lot about Colvin and the professor dude's behavioral class. give em hands on shit to do. evry one doesnt learn the same way.

anyway,this could be its whole thread. i know anna,motown, drewn and a lot of other people would have stuff to add.

back to the show.
    anyone have predictions of what season 5 has in store for Bodie? i just watched the chess scene from season one on youttube and it mighthave been a foreshadowing of bodie's future path.

• anyone have predictions of what season 5 has in store for Bodie? i just watched the chess scene from season one on youttube and it mighthave been a foreshadowing of bodie's future path.

I'll PM you if you want some info on that (no spoiler)

• anyone have predictions of what season 5 has in store for Bodie? i just watched the chess scene from season one on youttube and it mighthave been a foreshadowing of bodie's future path.

I'll PM you if you want some info on that (no spoiler)

Don't do it, Phill!!!

• back to the show.
    anyone have predictions of what season 5 has in store for Bodie? i just watched the chess scene from season one on youttube and it mighthave been a foreshadowing of bodie's future path.

"You're a soldier, bodie..."

• Don't forget who you talking to. in here , East side , Westside or anywhere else you may decide to lay your head. My word is still law.

• Namond: That's Michael's mom, yo
    Kenard: Maaaaan, she's a dope fiend.

good episode...
    what will happen to Snitchin' Ass Randy?
    Prop Joe shook?
    Will Cheese live to see the end of the season, with Omar on him?
    Will Daniels make commissioner??
    Can Herc possibly fuck up anything else???

• thoughts (dont read if you didnt jump ahead on demand)

i think herc fucked up enough...probably his career
    cheese's last name is wagstaff.
    randy's last name is wagstaff.
    randy lives in foster care and doesnt know his pop.
    cheese suddenly appears after a loooong hiatus. i wonder if theyre kin and their paths are going to cross.

the ring has been passing through a lot of hands.
    how is walker not going to go completely homicidal on the kids now?????
    kenard is iller than namond.

bodie/mcNulty scene...CLASSIC!!!!
    almost as good as bodie and poot seing herc and carver at the movies.

2 episodes left!!! i dont want to hear NOTHIN phil!!!!!

• Prop Joe shook?

scared but smart. the fat man got survival skills and knows how to float the right propositions to save his skin. he aint going nowhere.

• I was wondering about the Wagstaff connection myself

Loved the scene with Bodie and McNulty. Play in dirt, get dirty.

That ring is like some straight LOTR shit! "MY PRECIOUS..." I wonder if Michael is gonna return it to Marlo.

• Prop Joe shook?

scared but smart. the fat man got survival skills and knows how to float the right propositions to save his skin. he aint going nowhere.

Dude is an institution. I say next season is when marlo really starts to scheme on joe.

Triple: whoa, good catch on the wagstaff name. Didn't even see that. Hmm.

Other than that, I'm staying mute.....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was wondering about the Wagstaff connection myself

Loved the scene with Bodie and McNulty. Play in dirt, get dirty.

That ring is like some straight LOTR shit! "MY PRECIOUS..." I wonder if Michael is gonna return it to Marlo.

Do I get to post in here without a Wire avatar?

Anyway, didn't TripleD or someone bring up the fact that only bad things happen to those with the "ring"? When Michael took it I thought oh shit, something's going to go down with him.

Speaking of which, the previews for the last two episodes looked like shit was going to blow up seriously. Don't want to mention too much for those that haven't peeped the newest episode on demand.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I ride for Season 2 as well, even though most of my Wire-loving friends don't. I think Season 2 is when it all came together as a different beast entirely, breaking free of a lot of cop-show cliches that Season 1 exploited and turned inside out to great effect. And then Season 3 combined it all with spectacular payoff. But Season 3 would not have the heft it does without all the Season 2 depth.

Me too. Season 2 added a ton of depth. And you're right about breaking out of the copshow conventions. Season 2 really felt like a natural progression, not just some episodic rehash of the same formula. The insight into the working class life of a union dock worker felt just as realistic as anything else on the show.

I think someday they should show alot of this stuff in schools.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Joel,

What do you think of the show's depiction of inner city public schools?

• 2 episodes left!!! i dont want to hear NOTHIN phill[/b]!!!!!

Yeah... it ain't as good when you don't have that anticipation from week to week. So don't worry, I won't tell you how ******* went and ******ed ******** over that **********

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i cant wait until the season is officially over so i can actually discuss a few things that happened. one thing that happened this season really didnt make sense to me at all and usually things are spelled out pretty well

• i cant wait until the season is officially over so i can actually discuss a few things that happened. one thing that happened this season really didnt make sense to me at all and usually things are spelled out pretty well

PM me on that, I'll set it all straight for you

really i'll probably just confuse you further, but try me anyway