THE WIRE AVATAR APPRECIATION THREAD

Comments

• Now, who's got my Harper's? And where is Omar already?

• here, let's pray...

here we lay a couple new york boys who came too far south for they own fuckin' good

fuckin' yankee pride at now, you fuckin' BITCHES. let's get the fuck up outta here

you hungry? you want some chinese?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    she all angry and shit when she was saying that shit too, haha.

one of my favorite snoop scenes was when chris met up with michael at night and when namond passed by snoop and was all "yo snoop, your sister is in my class" and snoop goes "is you high muthafuckah?" i have no idea why i found that so funny but yeah

• i swear to God I did not even know that snoop was a chick until i read about her online. i was like waitaminute... you mean thats.... yo, THAT'S the crazy ass chick on The Wire my boy was tellin' me about??? i thought snoop was a young boy, fo real. EVERYTHING snoop says is funny as hell to me. kinda like ghostface or charlie murphy, talkin' all this tough schitt yet at the same time will have you ROFLAO

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuck man, i didnt know she was a girl either until later on. one of my friends was all "yo, i heard snoop dogg is on the wire" and i was all like nah man what the fuck are you talking about. so i went on the hbo site to check up on that and then i was like "shit, dude is a girl???" crazy

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I haven't kept up with The Wire lately, but I think I'm supposed to be Kima since I'm often told I look like Sonja Sohn (I don't, really).

T****, do you also agree that Detective Greggs needs to fix that hair?

It looks...outdated, no?

It looks a bit like she's trying too hard to be "girly"

My coworker and I were just having this discussion yesterday

I personally preferred the ponytail, but this current hairdo might be the stylist's way of trying to make her look older and wiser? I see this a lot among black women with "good" hair--they tend to cut it and/or straighten it as they age...Unfortunately in Sonja's case, it ended up with too much MC Lyte on it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I haven't kept up with The Wire lately, but I think I'm supposed to be Kima since I'm often told I look like Sonja Sohn (I don't, really).

T****, do you also agree that Detective Greggs needs to fix that hair?

It looks...outdated, no?

It looks a bit like she's trying too hard to be "girly"

My coworker and I were just having this discussion yesterday

I personally preferred the ponytail, but this current hairdo might be the stylist's way of trying to make her look older and wiser? I see this a lot among black women with "good" hair--they tend to cut it and/or straighten it as they age...Unfortunately in Sonja's case, it ended up with too much MC Lyte on it.

Perhaps, but I thought the new hairdo was because she got moved over to working in homicide, the "top" detective duty where she did not have to work out on the streets like she did when she was working on drugs. Hence the wearing of suits as well instead of jeans and a t-shirt with a hoodie like she use to.

• she all angry and shit when she was saying that shit too, haha.

one of my favorite snoop scenes was when chris met up with michael at night and when namond passed by snoop and was all "yo snoop, your sister is in my class" and snoop goes "is you high muthafuckah?" i have no idea why i found that so funny but yeah

dang, i dint even catch that. funny as shit. i thought she was a boy too
    wht do you reckon she does in her spare time? whatkinda hobbies does a nice young lady like that have? taxidermy? no music, no boys...so she definitely aint droppin by no soulstrut

• she all angry and shit when she was saying that shit too, haha.

dang, i dint even catch that. funny as shit. i thought she was a boy too
    wht do you reckon she does in her spare time? whatkinda hobbies does a nice young lady like that have? taxidermy? no music, no boys...so she definitely aint droppin by no soulstrut

I caught that last night while I was watching old episodes

I like how after that, she's all mad at Michael, like "You heard the n*gga right? Givin you PRAISES an shit. And you just standin there lookin stupid."

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Will HBO Series Change Attitudes?[/b]

By LZ Granderson
    Page 2

Be the change that you want to see in the world
    -- Mohandas Gandhi

With all due respect to the good people who hand out the Emmys, the best show on television has nothing to do with horny housewives, castaways or Jersey. It's "The Wire" -- HBO's gritty depiction of Baltimore's war on drugs. It's dripping with so much political corruption and unsettling social commentary that it's hard to tell whether you're watching a TV show or the news.

The series has been the darling of critics since it debuted four years ago. It has also become one of the most-watched programs among black athletes.[/b]

Carmelo Anthony loves the show.

As does Steve Francis.

Larry Hughes is also fan.

The Baltimore Ravens? Half the squad TiVo's it.

"The things in the show are some of the things I saw growing up in Detroit," says the Ravens' Derrick Mason. "Maybe not that drastic, but it's pretty real."

It should be. David Simon, the show's creator, was a police reporter for the Baltimore Sun. His writing partner, Edward Burns, taught social studies for seven years in the Baltimore school system after serving for 20 years as a city police detective. If those two can't get it right, no one can.

"A lot of black athletes like the show because it really tells it like it is," says Hughes, who grew up in St. Louis. "It goes beyond just who got shot, which makes it more interesting, because life in the 'hood is more complicated than that."

Which brings me to my point.

Omar -- the gun-slinging vigilante who, without question, is one of the most respected and loved characters on the show -- is gay. And I'm not talking the secretive and shady Haggard/Foley variety. I'm talking waking-up-buck-naked-with-his-buck-naked-Latino-boyfriend-on-the-other-side-of-the-bed gay. Everyone on the block knows. And so does the audience.

Can you think of another show or movie in which pro athletes openly root for the gay guy? I can't.

(read more) video included

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo I came up in here.

• "Chris! I didn't!"

"yeah. that's good."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's right.

• Omar -- the gun-slinging vigilante who, without question, is one of the most respected and loved characters on the show -- is gay. And I'm not talking the secretive and shady Haggard/Foley variety. I'm talking waking-up-buck-naked-with-his-buck-naked-Latino-boyfriend-on-the-other-side-of-the-bed gay. Everyone on the block knows. And so does the audience.

Can you think of another show or movie in which pro athletes openly root for the gay guy? I can't.

Omar's ghey ass is one of the baddest muthafuckas of ALL TIME. The fact that he's homo just adds to his hard-as-fuck-ness. Walkin' down the street in a teal bathrobe lookin' for some Honey Nut Cheerios, all the little kids runnin' away in fear until the whole damn street is deserted! You CAN'T top that schitt!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Omar -- the gun-slinging vigilante who, without question, is one of the most respected and loved characters on the show -- is gay. And I'm not talking the secretive and shady Haggard/Foley variety. I'm talking waking-up-buck-naked-with-his-buck-naked-Latino-boyfriend-on-the-other-side-of-the-bed gay. Everyone on the block knows. And so does the audience.

Omar's ghey ass is one of the baddest muthafuckas of ALL TIME. The fact that he's homo just adds to his hard-as-fuck-ness. Walkin' down the street in a teal bathrobe lookin' for some Honey Nut Cheerios, all the little kids runnin' away in fear until the whole damn street is deserted! You CAN'T top that schitt!!!

• Omar -- the gun-slinging vigilante who, without question, is one of the most respected and loved characters on the show -- is gay. And I'm not talking the secretive and shady Haggard/Foley variety. I'm talking waking-up-buck-naked-with-his-buck-naked-Latino-boyfriend-on-the-other-side-of-the-bed gay. Everyone on the block knows. And so does the audience.

and people droppin trash bags of dope out the window to him as he smokes newpoats in aforementioned teal bathrobe. downright legendary. he's the most comic book character on that show. the fact that he dont curse either???? ruthless stickup fearless assassin who aint afriad to shed a tear and live by a code of ethics.

interesting that no one has him in their avatar though
    cosmo, step up...someone got chris already,and omar is way iller (soulstrut poll says it is so)

• nobody got Chris yet, I don't think.

Is homie supposed to be Jamaican on the show? I sometimes hear a slight patois.

• ok....i just always pictured cosmo as omar.

i dont know about chris' jamaican ness, i never caught any accent.

drewn, thanks for the article...when i watched the video, the writer definitely registered highly on the gaydar. i wonder if omar is gonna be embraced as a hero for the gay community.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh okay Tony, I guess Omar's just gots to do.

• Oh okay Tony, I guess Omar's just gots to do.

yeah baybeeeee!!!!! honey nut cheerios on me!!! haha
    seriously, thats my favorite character on the show. i was hoping to see more scenes of omar going "american me" on fools in prison. but he's thorough even when he's lurking, takin notes, stalkin motherfuckas

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and a pack of newports

• and a pack of newpoats[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i wasn't exactly sure how to spell it
    what episode is this shit on anyway? i wanna talk about more shit but i don't want to spoil anything for you guys

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i wasn't exactly sure how to spell it
    what episode is this shit on anyway? i wanna talk about more shit but i don't want to spoil anything for you guys

Yeah, I want to be active in this thread but I've only seen the first 3 episodes of Season 4.

• i wasn't exactly sure how to spell it

I think all episodes that have been televised are fair game. dudes who downloaded the whole season online should not discuss schitt that has not aired on HBO yet (that goes for the on demand schitt that airs a week early, too... keep it )

I'm almost up to speed, should have all of season 4 viewed by Saturday. Schitt is heating up!

• BTW, Brian, that Omar schitt is from episode 3 from this season, "Home Rooms".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, i dont even know what happened in what episode so i just gotta wait until the whole season is done cos i know how much it sucks when people spoil shit.

• I just bought the first three seasons. My girl is hella mad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im waiting for the great grand big box set that they're bound to release. hbo is so fucking shiesty, the sopranos "half-season" 6 is like fucking 65 bucks

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    haha, the couple that watches the Wire together stays together! she's got gotta get with the program, mayne.