THE WIRE AVATAR APPRECIATION THREAD

1235»

Comments

• i cant wait until the season is officially over so i can actually discuss a few things that happened. one thing that happened this season really didnt make sense to me at all and usually things are spelled out pretty well

PM me on that, I'll set it all straight for you

really i'll probably just confuse you further, but try me anyway

Brian,

PM me. I'm curious to know what part you're talking about.

Phill,

PM me too. I wanna know your thoughts.

We can keep this on the DL.

*PASUE*

Herm

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Joel,

What do you think of the show's depiction of inner city public schools?

A lot of it rings true.

Do people remember towards the beginning of the season when they would have kids in rolling chairs going up and down the hall ways? Happens at my school, in fact with one of the teachers across the hall from me.

Teaching to the No Child Left Behind tests isn't as bad in high school as in the elementary and middle schools, at least in Oakland. At Tech, they're lucky if half the kids show up because they know they don't have to take it and there's no consequences for not doing it. In fact, for the last couple years we haven't had enough kids take the test to even qualify to be reported. (I think the minimum is 70% of the students taking the test). In the elementary and middle schools however they have this English program called High Point. All the teachers are required to use the curriculum. You have to use the textbooks, and there's actually scripts that the teachers have to read off of for the lessons. Administrators go around and check on teachers to make sure they're sticking to the text just like in the Wire. The results are extremely boring sessions of English with teachers reading off of scripts and hardly any novels being read.

Kids at my school are also running into all kinds of problems. One of my kids got kicked out of her home, last week there was a big, I mean BIG fight between blacks and Mexicans at the Burger King across the street with probably a dozen kids involved. One of my own kids got jumped after school last week as well, etc.

• damn...i want to jump to the spoiler thread so bad

• damn...i want to jump to the spoiler thread so bad

DON'T DO IT, PHILAHOBO!!!

Herm

• ok. i'll distract myself with sublime directory for 2 weeks

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ok. i'll distract myself with sublime directory for 2 weeks

Right there with ya'll.

So, I'm browsing these threads: http://www.hbo.com/thewire/community/

And found this to be quite surprising:

"There's something coming up in the next two episodes that will make you think that Dukie will be the next Marlo wit Mike as his muscle."

DUKIE ---> Marlo?!?

Say it ain't so!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dont read the hbo forums. mufuckaz will put spoilers in titles just to be assholes

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    OK, I wouldn't have posted into this thread without a Wire avatar but A) I'm holding out for an animated gif and B) the quality Wire discussion seems to have migrated here.

Now a question, my cable provider has not posted the current episode yet. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm rocking Comcast Digital Cable in Mountain View and this problem has occurred before. I need to get my fix before I stumble on a spoiler, particularly with the penultimate episode coming up next week (and need I point out that in seasons 1, 2, and 3 the biggest shock comes in the second to last episode).

One Ring to Rule Them All

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    call your provider and tell them that you have not been receiving on-demand shows on time. i've heard of someone putting whoever manages that shit with hbo and their cable provider on a three way call because the provider kept on insisting it was hbo's fault. the "problem" was fixed that day

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    FUCK- this episode was BANANAS.

I am worried about my boy, namely, ME
    <<<<<< Michael

I think Randy is going to be alright because killing him would be too obvious, but WHO KNOWS?

well, some of you know, but SHUT IT.

Prop Joe is shook and oh shit there's Cheese. I love how Prezbo stepped up. Herc may go down and you know, he's kind of a fuck up, I dunno. Alls I know is Lester is the man. And Daniels too. And Garcetti is doing good shit so far.

As far as school, hell yes it rings true. The shit with the chair rolling down the hall is a perfect example of stupid shit kids will get into if you are not watching.

We have also had some major Hispanic/Black violence at the high school. The fight with Randy and Michael after school only rang untrue because there was no security out there when the kids got out- lunch and after school is when shit goes down and security is always in full force. Maybe it is different in Baltimore, but all those kids wouldn't be outside by themselves like that at my school and my shit is not anywhere near as crazy as there.

Herc may go down and you know, he's kind of a fuck up, I dunno.

Herc lives up to his name and has not progressed as a cop since the first season. He still has that "western district way" about him. I would not be at all surprised if he went down for what he did to that minister.

We have also had some major Hispanic/Black violence at the high school.

Join the club Drewn!

Anyway, all I gotta say is that Omar is more "police" than the real police. He staked out Marlo and quickly found his way to the co-op and Fat Joe.

And I loved how Carcetti went around to all the city services' heads and got them cleaning up the city unwittingly. "I saw a car it needs to be toed." "The address? The address?"

I just have this big nagging feeling that nothing will work out. I can already see Carcetti being dragged down by the in-fighting and power politics of the city that are working around him, plus they dropped the school deficit bomb on him at the end of the episode.

As for the kids, I just know most of them are not going to make it. PLEASE NO SPOILERS if you've finished the season.

P.S. - As for Herc, he has had his moments. I can't remember what season it was, but he was going around busting all the white drug dealers and putting on a show making wise cracks into his wire while he was buying. Plus he had that classic line, "Leave no white man behind!" while he was describing how dumb the white dealers were compared to the black ones.

• The fight with Randy and Michael after school only rang untrue because there was no security out there when the kids got out- lunch and after school is when shit goes down and security is always in full force. Maybe it is different in Baltimore, but all those kids wouldn't be outside by themselves like that at my school and my shit is not anywhere near as crazy as there.

i didnt even think of that. at my high school, students are shooed off the premises and dismissed in shifts. and all this happens twenty minutes before the middle school next door lets out. we had a new principal this year and he put dismissal as the same time as the middle school. result? gunshots outside.
    kids arent allowed to be out front in a cipher, freestyling. i talked to the sergeant "theyre keeping it in control Lee. theyre being creative too" but unfortunately, "school policy...it will inevitably lead to something ugly once they start rapping about moms"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So I recently moved back to DC, after living just across the DC border in PG County(you know, where Namond's aunt lives)....

Anyway, lately watching the news is more like watching the Wire than ever! The new Mayor, who as a councilman was never quiet about his distaste for Chief of Police Ramsey, has announced that the Chief will be let go. And thanks to my hours of Wire watching, I can just imagine the shitfights that went on behind a decision like that. After all, Ramsey, while not universally loved, is well beyond some of the jokers who have been Chief in the past.

And to top it off....here's the new DC Chief of Police

before y'all go off 'sounding white', ol' girl is born and raised in DC and has been on the force for years and is from Fenty's district(someone he trusts I assume). But it was still a big stunner here in the District.

And the stuff with Carcetti looking at Governor in two years while O/Malley, Baltimore's recent white mayor, is packing his bags for Annapolis and the Governor's Mansion as we speak.

Ripped from todays headlines indeed!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    props to all of you for putting me onto this show, i didn't catch this on FX+ (where it's shown on the UK) and no one has really heard of it otherwise. anyway i used to think TV was a redundant format until this show, the slow pace combined with a rich narrative and strong characterization (yawn) makes this the shit. i just finished season 1 in about 2 days. can't wait to get up to the current stuff.

Writer and producer Ed Burns interviewed on today's Fresh Air:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5782928