NBA 2006-2007.......IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    All you Shaq haters explain this to me...

With Shaq = NBA Title

W/O Shaq - 9 & 9 at Home!!(9 & 10 after today)

Who's hating on Shaq, other than him being increasingly lazy and arrogant the older he becomes. But, I think it's pretty indisputable that he's the centerpiece of any team and that the Heat won't do too much of anything without him in the line up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

With Shaq = NBA Title

Who's hating on Shaq, other than him being increasingly lazy and arrogant the older he becomes. But, I think it's pretty indisputable that he's the centerpiece of any team and that the Heat won't do too much of anything without him in the line up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

With Shaq = NBA Title

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That JPG should be a requirement of every NBA thread Shaq mention. LOL!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

With Shaq = NBA Title

Shaq was a decoy in last year's playoffs.

Plus, that stat isn't very impressive. Try taking out Wade from the equation and see what record they get.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    This Heat Mavs was interesting.

You see the heat have improved their defence and wade is simply great (points and especially precise and effective assists)

You see the heat's weaknesses (inconsistent) in both JWill and antoine 'shimee' walker : While walker hit his open shots he is still turnover stupid post shot guy and jwill puts up tempo distorting odd shots but still hustles on defense

However you look at the Mavs and damn its just better

Dirk can shoot at will and if he goes inside (if you can beleive its not his first option anymore) he punishes you. You have stackhouse and more importantly josh howard putting up great numbers scoring, drawing defenses. and just really good offensive boards for the missed shots
    couple that with a decent defense and a JT becoming more and more of a real PG with the depth of above mentioned options and bench

Just a great team

• i didn't hear about this until right now. garnett throws about a punch and only gets a 1 game suspension. i thought they were "cracking down" on the fighting?

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Suns went on a 31-2 run against the timber-whos tonight, watch out gilbert arenas.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Suns went on a 31-2 run against the timber-whos tonight, watch out gilbert arenas.

JEAHHHH!!!!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    the last two knicks games make me wish i didnt even like basketball

At least they're competitive.

And playing with some motherfucking heart.

They just need to learn how to close better, and they will.

No doubt. But not tonight!!!!!!!

Mike Krzyzewski called Dunleavy ???the most versatile player we???ve had here since Grant Hill"[/b]

And Coach K's comment translatte to squat in the NBA. Dunleavy Jr. is a role playing SF who does a lot of things, but none of them well. Get use to him.

• No doubt. But not tonight!!!!!!!

Mike Krzyzewski called Dunleavy ???the most versatile player we???ve had here since Grant Hill"[/b]
    And Coach K's comment translatte to squat in the NBA. Dunleavy Jr. is a role playing SF who does a lot of things, but none of them well. Get use to him.
    I still don't understand why the Pacers made the trade. Maybe Larry really wanted to stock up on mediocre white guys. Don't they already have Austin Croshere? Only risk for the Warriors is adding Steven Jackson really.

• Don't they already have Austin Croshere?

dallas

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

I still don't understand why the Pacers made the trade. Maybe Larry really wanted to stock up on mediocre white guys. Don't they already have Austin Croshere? Only risk for the Warriors is adding Steven Jackson really.
    Hey Jake,

It's all about marketing. White players fill seats and White fans pay for them, and Indy is a very Anglo state. This is similar to rap music (from the fan purchasing side), at least partly, since its primarily populated by minority artists.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Hey Jake,

It's all about marketing. White players fill seats and White fans pay for them, and Indy is a very Anglo state. This is similar to rap music (from the fan purchasing side), at least partly, since its primarily populated by minority artists.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    I dunno...the only white dudes I can think of who fill seats are Dirk and Nash.

Hey Jake,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I can definitely see how the fanbase would get excited over white players if they were winning but I can't see anything but losing coming out of this trade. It just baffles me that they actually traded for Dunleavy with his bloated contract. He is a complete mediocre scrub! Murphy isn't a bad player but he's a terrible interior defender who shoots jumpers. Harrington and Jackson must have really pissed Larry Legend off or something.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey Jake,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Funny enough, research in either Management Science or Organization Science journals (published in the late 1990's) showed a significant positive relationship between number of White players and ticket sales in the NBA, controlling for wins-losses, talent level of players, etc.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Funny enough, research in either Management Science or Organization Science journals (published in the late 1990's) showed a significant positive relationship between number of White players and ticket sales in the NBA, controlling for wins-losses, talent level of players, etc.

See: the "fan favorite"

Hey Jake,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    I believe it. The way white fans have abandoned the Sonics in Seattle is a perfect example. The city will come out for a 95 loss Mariner team in droves, yet if the Sonics don't win 50 games the arena is half full. When I had a job and listened to sports radio all day there was at least a couple angry calls from older white guys about NBA players and their "hip hop attitude" etc..

• Funny enough, research in either Management Science or Organization Science journals (published in the late 1990's) showed a significant positive relationship between number of White players and ticket sales in the NBA, controlling for wins-losses, talent level of players, etc.

See: the "fan favorite"[/b]

big time

although dunleavy was being booed badly in GS. if there is some kind of 'rule' there regarding white players, which i'm skeptical of to begin with, he's easily the exception. dude is just not very likeable.

See: the "fan favorite"[/b]

big time

although dunleavy was being booed badly in GS. if there is some kind of 'rule' there regarding white players, which i'm skeptical of to begin with, he's easily the exception. dude is just not very likeable.

Hey,

Among fans, I think it's subconscious, a manifestation of the old "similarity-attraction hypothesis." From social psychology, this hypothesis (by Byrne, 1971) states that people are more attracted interpersonally to similar others because of perceived similarity in values, tastes, historical experiences, etc. So, it's logical for White fans to connect with White players. Owners, however, are fully aware of the dollars and cents impact of having White players on the roster. Statistical analyses showed how the effect of number of White players on ticket sales was strong outside of more logical correlates like win-losses, talent level of the team, previous team performance, etc. Similar findings have held for major league baseball (look at Jake-One up on the literature!!!). I went to my vaults to try to find the studies since I was working on something related to the topic, but I couldn't find the papers. I'll do an EBSCO search and track 'em down for interested readers (sometime this week).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Guys,

I found a couple readings that report on customer discrimination in professional sports:

Kahn, Lawrence M. (1991). Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 44 (3), 395-418.

Kanazawa, Mark T., & Funk, Jonas P. (2001). Racial discrimination in professional basketball: Evidence from Nielsen. Economic Inquiry, Vol. 39 (4), 599-608.

I must be getting old, as I thought these were in Management Science and Organization Science journals. The memory is slippin'

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• (look at Jake-One up on the literature!!!).
    Haha. Yeah I might have read something on this in the process of getttin that worthless Sociology degree! I would be willing to bet that the same findings would be found in a study of underground hip hop for example. Once white rappers started coming out of the woodwork in the late 90's, all the underground hip hop fans (obviously mostly white) shifted to them. I guess they could identify with them or whatever.

Hey Jake,

I agree, this similarity-attraction tendency is definitely out there. It manifests itself quite often here on the 'Strut. Social identity theory (Henri Tajfel and John C. Turner, 1986) predicts the same thing, in-group favoritism (and outgroup derogation). These are just natural human tendencies, but it is interesting. This explains why I love research so much. I like seeing how concepts relate, especially in an applied sense. I have a cool study under review right now showing how diversity climate in stores (of a large U.S. retail chain) interacts with race such that Blacks' and Hispanics' sales per hour were significantly greater when stores were perceived as highly pro-diversity than less pro-diversity. The increase in sales in stores with supportive diversity climates would equate to millions of dollars in added sales annually. That's real $$$$ talk that CEOs can understand.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (look at Jake-One up on the literature!!!).

Haha. Yeah I might have read something on this in the process of getttin that worthless Sociology degree! I would be willing to bet that the same findings would be found in a study of underground hip hop for example. Once white rappers started coming out of the woodwork in the late 90's, all the underground hip hop fans (obviously mostly white) shifted to them. I guess they could identify with them or whatever.

I remember Defari giving an infamously ass-hurt interview around the time that I discovered SoulStrut--basically, he was made that white dudes were getting all that talentless indie rapper money that used to be his.

Hard to feel too bad for those dudes, though--they should've put their money on fans that actually like rap.

• Stat of The Day

NBA Double-Doubles

1. KG - 34
    2. Boozer - 31
    3. Dwight Howard - 30
    4. Steve nash - 26
    5. Dirk - 24
    6. Zach Randolph - 23
    Emeka Okafor - 23
    Tim Duncan - 23
    8. Jermaine O'Neal - 22
    Amare Stoundemire - 22
    11. David Lee - 21

Steven Jackson had to go. Its not like Donnie Walsh was salivting at the mouth for Dunleavy Jr. & Them.
    Ike Diogu was who they really were checkin for. Yes adding some cream to coffee for the fans always works but the Pacers have thrived for years w/ a mostly African/American roster. The Warriors/Mullin wouldnt take Jax unless Harrington came along,who couldnt produce w/ O'Neal dominating the paint.
    In the last game against the Knicks Dunleavy Jr. lead the 3rd quarter comeback by scoring 14. I'm happy w/ the trade after seeing the product. These new cats wont bring the same ego bullshit that Jackson brought.
    I'll miss him(especially on my NBALIVEseason) but his time ran out.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I found a couple readings that report on customer discrimination in professional sports:

Kahn, Lawrence M. (1991). Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 44 (3), 395-418.

Kanazawa, Mark T., & Funk, Jonas P. (2001). Racial discrimination in professional basketball: Evidence from Nielsen. Economic Inquiry, Vol. 39 (4), 599-608.

I must be getting old, as I thought these were in Management Science and Organization Science journals. The memory is slippin'

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oy Vey...The black man hi-jacked our culture!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just read this and it blew my mind......only ONE of the below listed players is in the Top Ten of official NBA Jersey sales of all ACTIVE players.....pick the right one!!

Yao Ming
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Ben Wallace
    Stephon Marbury
    Amare Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Pau Gasol

Just read this and it blew my mind......only ONE of the below listed players is in the Top Ten of official NBA Jersey sales of all ACTIVE players.....pick the right one!!

Yao Ming
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Ben Wallace
    Stephon Marbury
    Amare Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Pau Gasol

Marbury

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Yao Ming
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Ben Wallace
    Stephon Marbury
    Amare Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Pau Gasol

Marbury.