ESPN Lists The NBA's Top Players(NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Writer named Hollinger posted this on ESPN.com today....let the debate begin!!1. LeBron James, CLE 2005-06 season: James was younger than several players who entered the 2006 draft, but despite his youth he was arguably the best player in the league in 2005-06. He became the youngest player to... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 31.86League Avg: +16.862005-06 PER: 28.17 2. Kobe Bryant, LAL 2005-06 season: I don't think Kobe Bryant was the best player in the league over the 82-game season. But when he was at his best, nobody could touch him. Say what you want about LeBron James and... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 27.00League Avg: +12.002005-06 PER: 28.11 3. Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 2005-06 season: It was a banner season for Nowitzki, who sported the league's best PER and led the Mavs to their first-ever conference championship. He set career highs in field-goal percentage,... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 26.86League Avg: +11.862005-06 PER: 28.20 4. Amare Stoudemire, PHO 2005-06 season: It was a wasted season for Amare Stoudemire, who had microfracture knee surgery just before training camp and made only a brief, aborted comeback before calling it a year. His offseason... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 26.12League Avg: +11.122005-06 PER: 17.83 5. Dwyane Wade, MIA 2005-06 season: So ... anyone still think it's Shaq's team? Wade was mysteriously ignored in the MVP voting, based on the flimsy logic that since Shaquille O'Neal was the Heat's best player... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 25.91League Avg: +10.912005-06 PER: 27.68 6. Kevin Garnett, MIN 2005-06 season: It's not his fault. I feel like I need to say this every time Garnett's name comes up, because he's immediately assailed for not doing enough to lift his pathetic teammates to victory.... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 24.97League Avg: +9.972005-06 PER: 26.88 7. Chris Paul, NOK 2005-06 season: Paul had a great rookie year, but I'm not sure people realize just how great it was. Let me crib from something I wrote previously: Paul had the best... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 24.96League Avg: +9.962005-06 PER: 22.14 8. Pau Gasol, MEM 2005-06 season: Gasol opened the new campaign with a shaggy, patchy beard, sending countless reporters scurrying to the Internet to find the Spanish word for "wookie." It seemed to work for him... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 23.95League Avg: +8.952005-06 PER: 22.76 9. Gilbert Arenas, WAS 2005-06 season: Arenas continued his development into one of the game's biggest stars, finishing fourth in the league in scoring and ranking second among point guards in PER. As with many of today's... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 23.78League Avg: +8.782005-06 PER: 23.87 10. Allen Iverson, PHI 2005-06 season: Somebody forgot to tell this guy that short, fast guards are supposed to decline rapidly in their 30s. Iverson celebrated the big 3-oh by putting together the best season of his... Complete Profile 2006-07Projected PER 23.31League Avg: +8.312005-06 PER: 26.02 BTW......Shaq was STILL listed as the #1 Center in the league!!!!

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Too ridiculous to even bother with.

• Not a Kobe fan but I would put him at #1..and D-wade gotta be top 3.Even if he's getting touch falls when he's rolling he's unstoppable..

• umm, this was apparently based on the 05-06 season, and stoudemire is at #4 and Anthony isn't even on the list? Gasol over AI? Dwade at 5?

• is this the top ten fantasy players??

i agree with lebron at #1 and kobe #2, despite the fact that i am a huge kobe fan. the guy had it right when he said, when kobe is on, nobody is better. however, lebron doesnt need to be on to be unstoppable. the dude is just a beast.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    is this the top ten fantasy players??

Nope...it's apparently a ranking of EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE NBA!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger...nger%2frankings

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

329. Ryan Bowen, HOU
    2005-06 season: As impressive as his relentless hustle has been to watch for the past several years, in 2005-06 Bowen reached the point where he was just completely overmatched by the NBA's talent... Complete Profile

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This list like any is not too accurate. although I like the KG inclusion.

I still stand by this....BY DEFAULT and considering how he tore it up in pressure situations. Dwyane Wade is the current #1 PLAYA IN DA WORLD. enough said.

One of the reasons why I became a fan of his...

329. Ryan Bowen, HOU
    2005-06 season: As impressive as his relentless hustle has been to watch for the past several years, in 2005-06 Bowen reached the point where he was just completely overmatched by the NBA's talent... Complete Profile

haha. that's funny.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Chris Paul #7????????

No Elton Brand?????????

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Well cotdamn... Tim Duncan fell off THAT much last season that he can't even make the top 10??? Not that I'm a big Tim Duncan fan, but still

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'm so fuking excited for the season to start even though suns are a lock if amare plays decently
    this list is too listy to even discuss

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    i'm so fuking excited for the season to start even though suns are a lock if amare plays decently
    this list is too listy to even discuss
    13 days and counting, I may stay in on halloween to watch the suns run LA. When does the new NBA thread start?

• Are we rocking the fantasy league this year???? I clearly need another thing to waste time on this winter.

• Are we rocking the fantasy league this year???? I clearly need another thing to waste time on this winter.

I don't have time to set it up this year, but I will play if someone else sets it up. Last year was fun but a lot of people stopped playing after the first week.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are we rocking the fantasy league this year???? I clearly need another thing to waste time on this winter.

I don't have time to set it up this year, but I will play if someone else sets it up. Last year was fun but a lot of people stopped playing after the first week.

I'm already in two, but I'd be game for a SoulStrut league again this year. Last time we did rotisserie, which I think contributed to people getting lazy with it 3/4 of the way through the season because teams tend not to move as much. Has anybody had experience with head-to-head NBA?

I'll set up the league by the end of the week if additional people show interest.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Head to head works alrite.....just gotta be careful about categories...also you need to limit roster moves per week or freeze rosters during the week to prevent some fool from just accumulating stats by playing a dude everyday...and im junior but id be in.

• i have already been to an exhibition to get things warmed up. first home game of the season for my team is nov 3rd and i plan to be there. nuggets got j.r. smith and joe smith and kenyon said he was sorry. andre miller had a crazy new haircut. 06-07 is upon us.

whats up with kobe? why isn't he playing? he was in the stands last night for the kings/lakers game and they said he may not even start the first few games of the season...

co-sign brand and duncan not being on the list, as well as nash..?

whats up with kobe?

Recovering from knee surgery.

• i would be in for fantasy, but am not a fan of the head-to-head leagues.

i would be in for fantasy, but am not a fan of the head-to-head leagues.

In your experience, what's the down side of head-to-head?

I'm doing in NFL league now which is head-to-head each week. The rankings include both how many games you've won against other opponents in the league and total accumulated points.

• I'm doing in NFL league now which is head-to-head each week. The rankings include both how many games you've won against other opponents in the league and total accumulated points.

yea, that would be good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tim Duncan

MVP Steve Nash & Jason Kidd > Chris Paul.

Elton Brand/Jermaine O'Neal > Jump Shooting Bitch - Dirk Nowitski.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Dirk is certainly known for his shooting, but if you think that's all he brings, you're mistaken.

Dirk, if all facets of the game are considered, may be the best player in the league.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Dirk is certainly known for his shooting, but if you think that's all he brings, you're mistaken.

Dirk, if all facets of the game are considered, may be the best player in the league.

Of course he does more than shoot, but that Patrick Ewing Fadeaway bullshit will not win titles. He has too get IN THE PAINT. That was the biggest critique on his playoff performance. I'm sure he's learned his lesson this time around.
    He needs to look at some Tim Duncan footage.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    One of the reasons why I became a fan of his...

My favorite player in the league. One day he will wear a ring.

Not in Minnesota. Wasn't there talk that he could have gone to Detroit at the end of last season?

That was a rumor of creamed-jeans proportions!

Not in Minnesota. Wasn't there talk that he could have gone to Detroit at the end of last season?

That was a rumor of creamed-jeans proportions!

I think he's kinda like AI in Philly. There's gonna be rumors but I don't think he'll go anywhere, anytime soon.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

He needs to look at some Tim Duncan footage to learn how to be a whiney bitch as well.[/b]

footage like this?

Elton Brand is , though...

• Of course he does more than shoot, but that Patrick Ewing Fadeaway bullshit will not win titles. He has too get IN THE PAINT. That was the biggest critique on his playoff performance. I'm sure he's learned his lesson this time around.
    He needs to look at some Tim Duncan footage.

He did some paintwork in the WC playoffs. Recall the driving and 1 to send the what-looked-like-over game 7 against SA to OT. But man, first game against Miami, Shaq got him hard on the dome and that was that. Effects weren't truly felt until later in the series but he wasn't going to the paint near as much. He was barely above a "no show" in games 3-6. He's like 8 years in but just hitting his prime. If he can become more physical and at the same time accept the physicality better, it will be unreal. Dirk doesn't need to carry the Mavs talent-laden roster to the ring, just put them over the top.

Definite top 5, probable top 3, but I can't put him over Lebron or Kobe.