ESPN Lists The NBA's Top Players(NRR)

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    YOu commented on the scouts' views of Kobe. I said he was talking about his whole game and trying to find a balance between his game and the teams'. Here's the complete report that I just found that goes into more detail about just that topic. How do you interpret this as me being "obssessed with the downfall of the Lakers"? That sounds like insecurity on your part. "Oh my god, someone is talking about MY Kobe."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You see Motown, you write a lot, but it's not saying much....cuz you don't acknowledge anybody else's points.

the points Motown doesn't care to acknowledge:

1) Athletes get paid well. Who wouldn't want a long career?

2) He's playing on one of the youngest teams. If you watch closely he gives them opportunities. Do you expect someone in their prime to wait 5 years for teammates to mature? You would know the feeling all too well, if you've actually played a pickup game before.

3) Again, that's ONE EXAMPLE. SLAM also hyped up players like Lebron James, Sebastian Telfair, and Amare Stoudamire before any SI was covering them. Now, you're hating on SLAM. Is there anything in this world you don't hate?

4)-5) yea Kareem!

6) You really are glorifying the past A LOT. "Quality to dominant big men". LOL When Rockadelic speaks, it sounds convincing cuz HE'S ACTUALLY SEEN THEM PLAY.

YOu commented on the scouts' views of Kobe. I said he was talking about his whole game and trying to find a balance between his game and the teams'. Here's the complete report that I just found that goes into more detail about just that topic. How do you interpret this as me being "obssessed with the downfall of the Lakers"? That sounds like insecurity on your part. "Oh my god, someone is talking about MY Kobe."

edited: I had a long week. I'm gonna get some fresh air. PEACE.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You are in imminent danger of being WORKED, SON.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

3) Again, that's ONE EXAMPLE. SLAM also hyped up players like Lebron James, Sebastian Telfair, and Amare Stoudamire before any SI was covering them. Now, you're hating on SLAM. Is there anything in this world you don't hate?

Yuichi, it's not like SLAM did a single misguided D. Miles story five years ago; they do one pretty much every year.

And I believe SI put Lebron on the cover about six months before SLAM did... not that it ever exactly took a Basketball Scientist to identify dude's potential.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hey Keith, is Batmon giving you a hard time? Man, Batmon couldn't win in a one-on-one against me, even if he were wearing his Foamposites, and I had a broken leg!

And the season hasn't even started....

Ill play you and KVH, 2 on 1. Cigarrette in mouth,Bottle of XO in my right, will only use my left hand, Low Chucks,Full court game.........

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    So many responses so I'll try to cover all of them here. Hopefully I'll get through everything.

1) Did Kareem just collect checks at the end of his career? To me, Kareem played for one purpose from his high school years until the end with the Lakers, that was winning. He played until he was 40 and he couldn't play anymore. He stuck around because the Lakers were still title contenders. I never EVER thought he was playing for the $$$.

Kareem acknowledged during his career that his last contract was signed to cover some bad business dealings with a California electronics company.

So many responses so I'll try to cover all of them here. Hopefully I'll get through everything.

1) Did Kareem just collect checks at the end of his career? To me, Kareem played for one purpose from his high school years until the end with the Lakers, that was winning. He played until he was 40 and he couldn't play anymore. He stuck around because the Lakers were still title contenders. I never EVER thought he was playing for the $$$.

Kareem acknowledged during his career that his last contract was signed to cover some bad business dealings with a California electronics company.

Regardless, He's not OVERRATED.

Never said that, dun.

Never said that, dun.

Relax, I'm not pointing at you.
    The Abdul-Jabbar critique has spiralled into off court decisions.

True, true.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of my fave SLAM articles was on Nene Hilario and how he learned to hoop.

He was a Soccer player and a local coach thought that with his size and athleticism he could play BBall.....there were no courts in his hometown so this coach dude erected a ten foot goal in the back of his pick-up truck and would drive slowly around town as Nene shot and rebounded while following the truck for hours at a time!!!

One of my favorite sections in SLAM is the history of certain cities. The local heroes,the college ballers, the nba legends that came from there or played there.
    I would like to have all that put into one book.

My only "critique" of Kareem was that he held on too long, and that's something most athletes (MJ, Emmitt, Lawrence Phillips) do.

One of my favorite sections in SLAM is the history of certain cities. The local heroes,the college ballers, the nba legends that came from there or played there.

I'd pay big bucks to see film on Oakland street ball legend "Hook" Mitchell!!!!

My only "critique" of Kareem was that he held on too long, and that's something most athletes (MJ, Emmitt, Lawrence Phillips) do.

True, but for a big man to be productive past the age of 35 is

Karl Malone not a center, played decent compared to Patrick Ewing's latter years. And Pat still thought the offense should go through him. Shaq has learned to defer to Wade. Kareem knew his role when Magic and them came. The Pivot was still important in his latter years.

I'd pay big bucks to see film on Oakland street ball legend "Hook" Mitchell!!!!

Yuichi, it's not like SLAM did a single misguided D. Miles story five years ago; they do one pretty much every year.

And I believe SI put Lebron on the cover about six months before SLAM did... not that it ever exactly took a Basketball Scientist to identify dude's potential.

By the time SI puts a player on the cover, almost everyone knows, and they have more or less proved themselves that they are the real deal. Now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go ahead and look for that article in SLAM where LBJ is rockin' the fro and adidas sweatpants.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go ahead and look for that article in SLAM where LBJ is rockin' the fro and adidas sweatpants.

Why does this sound pron-o-graphic?

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go ahead and look for that article in SLAM where LBJ is rockin' the fro and adidas sweatpants.

Why does this sound so pron-o-graphic?

hahahaha. get your head out the gutter son!

My favorite player in the league. One day he will wear a ring.

Just like this cat?

K.Garnett is DOOMED unless he gets the hell out Minnesota.

You see Motown, you write a lot, but it's not saying much....cuz you don't acknowledge anybody else's points.

the points Motown doesn't care to acknowledge:

1) Athletes get paid well. Who wouldn't want a long career?

In no way invalidates my point. The guy said Kareem was only playing to collect a paycheck. I gave my personal opinion that I never saw him that way.

2) He's playing on one of the youngest teams. If you watch closely he gives them opportunities. Do you expect someone in their prime to wait 5 years for teammates to mature? You would know the feeling all too well, if you've actually played a pickup game before.

Which the scout quoted brought up.

Dude, I like slam, but to say that they aren't a hype machine seems niave. Please tell me one player they have ever criticized in an actual article? I don't mean tearing a guy down, but bringing up the good with the bad instead of endlesses talking about how "real" they are would be a nice change in their style.

6) You really are glorifying the past A LOT. "Quality to dominant big men". LOL When Rockadelic speaks, it sounds convincing cuz HE'S ACTUALLY SEEN THEM PLAY.

Wow, I have to see guys to be able to talk about them? All of the centers I named I've seen play on TV. (Thank you NBATV & ESPN Classic!) Guys I named that I actually saw play live at NBA games: Kareem, Moses Malone, Jack Sikma, Robert Parish.

4)-5) yea Kareem!

Wait, did you "ACTUALLY SEE [HIM] PLAY"??? If not, I cannot find this praise for him convincing.

6) ... When Rockadelic speaks, it sounds convincing cuz HE'S ACTUALLY SEEN THEM PLAY.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Now tell me again about how he is overrated?

6) The NBA isn't like it was then? True, the biggest difference is that when Kareem played most NBA teams had a quality to dominant big man. He did not score all those points against chopped liver. He went up against some of the great big men in NBA history: Wilt Chamberlain, Nat Thurmond, Artis Gilmore, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Dave Cowens, Robert Parish, Willis Reed, Bob Lanier, Jack Sikma, and others.

Case closed!

Case closed is right.....

And you young guys best believe this....

Nate Thurmond was the 3rd or 4th best Center in the NBA in his day and he kicks Ben Wallace's ass before the game in the alley, during the game on the court and later that night at the Club.

Today's game is faster and more athletic.

Today's game has a "wow" factor that old school didn't.

But DON'T underestimate the 60's-70's game

Oh, and don't forget these cats:

-Walt "Clyde" Frazier.
    -Earl Monroe.
    -Jerry West ("Mr. Clutch").
    -Elgin Baylor.
    -Bob Petit.
    -Bob McAdoo (was a beast back in the day; don't sleep).
    -"Pistol" Pete Maravich (the original "White Chocolate).
    -Norm Van Lier (the original "glove" on D).
    -Alex English.
    -DT, David Thompson (44" vertical).
    -Randy Smith (the Buffalo Braves had some cats on that 70's roster).
    -AD, Adrian Dantley (the original SF that played "big" ala Sir Charles).
    -Walter Davis.
    -Nate "Tiny" Arhcibald.
    -John Havlicek.
    -Dave Bing.
    -"The Wizard" Gus Williams (and his little brother Ray at the Knicks).
    -Marques Johnson.
    -Rick Barry (was a monsta' scorer).
    -Calvin Murphy.
    -Dan Issel.
    -Kent Benson.
    -Jo Jo White.
    -Bobby Jones.
    -George McInnis.

...more to come.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

6) The NBA isn't like it was then? True, the biggest difference is that when Kareem played most NBA teams had a quality to dominant big man. He did not score all those points against chopped liver. He went up against some of the great big men in NBA history: Wilt Chamberlain, Nat Thurmond, Artis Gilmore, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Dave Cowens, Robert Parish, Willis Reed, Bob Lanier, Jack Sikma, and others.

Case closed!

Nate Thurmond was the 3rd or 4th best Center in the NBA in his day and he kicks Ben Wallace's ass before the game in the alley, during the game on the court and later that night at the Club.

-Walt "Clyde" Frazier.
    -Earl Monroe.
    -Elgin Baylor.
    -Bob Petit.
    -Alex English.
    -Walter Davis.
    -Nate "Tiny" Arhcibald.
    -John Havlicek.
    -Dave Bing.
    -Marques Johnson.
    -Calvin Murphy.
    -Dan Issel.
    -Kent Benson.
    -Jo Jo White.
    -Bobby Jones.
    -George McInnis.

...more to come.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Willis Reed
    Walt Bellamy
    Bob Love
    Sweet Lou Hudson
    Walt Hazzard
    Zelmo Beatty
    Gail Goodrich
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Bradley
    Charlie Scott
    Artis Gilmore
    Chet Walker

Case closed!

-Walt "Clyde" Frazier.
    -Earl Monroe.
    -Elgin Baylor.
    -Bob Petit.
    -Alex English.
    -Walter Davis.
    -Nate "Tiny" Arhcibald.
    -John Havlicek.
    -Dave Bing.
    -Marques Johnson.
    -Calvin Murphy.
    -Dan Issel.
    -Kent Benson.
    -Jo Jo White.
    -Bobby Jones.
    -George McInnis.

...more to come.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Willis Reed
    Walt Bellamy
    Bob Love
    Sweet Lou Hudson
    Walt Hazzard
    Zelmo Beatty
    Gail Goodrich
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Bradley
    Charlie Scott
    Artis Gilmore
    Chet Walker

You really are glorifying the past A LOT.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

But wait, here's more:

-Lionel Hollins.
    -Cazzie Russell.
    -Alvin Adams.
    -Purvis Short.
    -Phil Ford.
    -Spencer Haywood.
    -Kevin Porter.
    -"Slick" Watts.
    -T.R. Dunn (another backcourt stopper).
    -Mike Mitchell.
    -World B. (Lloyd) Free (I remember seeing him dunk on Elvin Hayes live in the Cap Center )
    -Maurice Lucas.
    -"Downtown" Freddie Brown.
    -Larry Kenon.
    -John Williamson.
    -Austin Carr.
    -Phil Chenier.
    -Truck Robinson.
    -Garfield Heard.
    -Phil Smith.
    -Marvin Webster.
    -Lucuis Allen.
    -Billy Paultz.
    -Lonnie Shelton.
    -Brian Winters.
    -Danny Roundfield.
    -Otis Birdsong.
    -John Drew.
    -Sidney Wicks.
    -Geoff Petrie.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

John Williamson

Super John Williamson

Came to the New York Nets as a rookie free agent for 1973-74 season. As a rookie, was inserted into New York starting lineup after Nets endured a 4-10 start and a nine-game losing streak -- Nets proceeded to go 51-19 and won ABA Championship. Had 16 of his 28 points in the 4th quarter of Game 6 of the 1976 ABA Finals, as the Nets erased a 22-point deficit and clinched the series. Williamson's # 23 was retired by the New Jersey/New York Nets franchise on December 7, 1990 (only four ABA Nets have had their numbers retired by the franchise: Williamson, Wendell Ladner, Bill Melchionni and Julius Erving). Williamson died of kidney failure (related to diabetes) in November 1996.

John Williamson

Super John Williamson

Came to the New York Nets as a rookie free agent for 1973-74 season. As a rookie, was inserted into New York starting lineup after Nets endured a 4-10 start and a nine-game losing streak -- Nets proceeded to go 51-19 and won ABA Championship. Had 16 of his 28 points in the 4th quarter of Game 6 of the 1976 ABA Finals, as the Nets erased a 22-point deficit and clinched the series. Williamson's # 23 was retired by the New Jersey/New York Nets franchise on December 7, 1990 (only four ABA Nets have had their numbers retired by the franchise: Williamson, Wendell Ladner, Bill Melchionni and Julius Erving). Williamson died of kidney failure (related to diabetes) in November 1996.

Now we're talking......I attended close to 100 Long Island Net games as a kid at both the dilapidated Commack Arena(I was there the night when a game was cancelled because of a leak in the roof)......at half time they let kids go out on the court and shoot!!! I worshipped players like Sonny Dove, Lavern Tart and Willie Somerset and our coach was Lou Carnesecca.

Super John could HOOP!!! Saw him score 40 on more than one occasion. Was sad to see him pass away at such a young age....he had a son that played at St. John's.

I still have all my Net Yearbooks and Scorecards....and I'll always have memories of Larry Kenon, Brian Taylor, Billy Paultz, Rick Barry, Doc, John Roche and many more.

The real difference between the 60's/70's game and today's game is the "TRUE" Center. The center that played the low post, filled the middle and would never take a shot further than 10 feet. The way the game was meant to be played. Over a ten year stretch you could have seen these TRUE centers...
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Willis Reed
    Bill Russell
    Wes Unseld
    Walt Bellamy
    Artis Gilmore
    Nate Thurmond
    Bob Lanier
    Marvin "The Human Erasor" Webster

And those were just the good ones.....and ANY of those guys would be in the Top 3 Centers playing today as all the NBA has in the way of true centers is Shaq and possibly Tim Duncan.

Playing basketball without a true center is like every team in the NFL going to the Wishbone offense!!!!