The REALLY Scary Movie Thread.

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
I've asked this question before, but what are the REALLY scary movies to watch?

Anna recommended The Changling, and that was alright. But I need something that will seriously make me scared to go to bed. Session 9 was pretty creepy, I enjoyed that. Some of these Korean and Japanese horror films are decent too.

For real. Scare the shit out of me!
TAGGED:

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I just started to get into the horror genre in the last few years. Here are a few that have totally creeped me out :

Audition
    The Sentinel
    Rosemary's Baby
    Poltergeist 1
    The Shining (duh)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
    Lots of Hitchcock
    The Exorcist

these are all pretty obvious now that I think about it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    well, what scares you?

for example, some people get real freaked out by all that jesus christ exorcist shit. for others, it could be as simple as a note on the keyboard and some dude jumping out of trees.

in any case, i always go with the shining. some of them images just creep me out.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    shining
    dead birds
    session 9 (one of the best movies in my opinion)
    jacobs ladder
    burnt offerings
    prince of darkness
    the brood
    gozu (kinda creepy but more just fucked up)
    may (just cause it reminds me of my boss)
    tenant
    picnic at hanging rock (creepy)
    and i hear the ugly is good
    i have more but i have to go home

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Anna recommended The Changling, and that was alright. But I need something that will seriously make me scared to go to bed. Session 9 was pretty creepy, I enjoyed that. Some of these Korean and Japanese horror films are decent too.

Dennis took me to see a movie in Portland that was based on a Swedish nursery rhyme. About a woman that can't have a child, so she finds a tree stump that looks like a child, begins breast feeding it, then it comes to life and starts eating people. The mailman. Mom's aunt. They lock it in the basement and bring like 400 gallons of porridge down there a day. It eats kids that lose their balls and go looking for them in the basement...

SHIT WAS WEIRD FUCKED UP INTENSE MY STOMACH HURT THROUGH THE WHOLE FILM BIZZARE

I forget the name, but absolutely nothing else.

(Dennis also recommended that movie, another title I forget, where the kid wraps his cat in cellophane and bangs it on the table -- among other memorable scenes. What's the fucking name of that movie. Call Dennis. He's got creepy movies on lock)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    serious answer:

Uzumaki

Sleepaway Camp

Sleepaway Camp is corny, but worth hunting down.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Dennis took me to see a movie in Portland that was based on a Swedish nursery rhyme. About a woman that can't have a child, so she finds a tree stump that looks like a child, begins breast feeding it, then it comes to life and starts eating people. The mailman. Mom's aunt. They lock it in the basement and bring like 400 gallons of porridge down there a day. It eats kids that lose their balls and go looking for them in the basement...

SHIT WAS WEIRD FUCKED UP INTENSE MY STOMACH HURT THROUGH THE WHOLE FILM BIZZARE

I forget the name, but absolutely nothing else.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    just seeing that fucking picture makes me squinch my sphincter.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Event Horizon -- really fucking scary

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Hellraiser is a classic. Dark atmosphere, sexualizing pain and people getting their skin torn off alive? Holy shit! Clive Barker is a crazy MF. Although a majority of the series is corny as fuck. See the first one, second and maybe the fourth, preferably while chonged

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    just seeing that fucking picture makes me squinch my sphincter.

now THAT'S really scary.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dont sleep on "The Hitcher"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I know i might be perceived as a " Lightweight " for saying this but i thought the Exorcist:The Beginning was scary.Give it a chance you'll be suprised.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Event Horizon was some scary ass shit. DOnt know if it hold up nowadays though, havent seen it since it came out. Audition is pretty scary. Ju-on was fuckin lame.

Saw the updated Dawn of the Dead last night. Not scary, but the shit was fuckin RAW.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Event Horizon had some cool parts, but overall, not at all scary

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    well, what scares you?

for example, some people get real freaked out by all that jesus christ exorcist shit. for others, it could be as simple as a note on the keyboard and some dude jumping out of trees.

in any case, i always go with the shining. some of them images just creep me out.

My bad. I guess I should be more specific. I like movies that are creepy, like unexplained creepy phenomena. The grudge was pretty good for that, like when that raspy ODB type voice kept calling her phone and then showed up under her covers.

The Shining is definitely a favorite of mine. I don't really get into the gore flicks, though. I don't associate stomach-turning with fright (although that log-baby thing looks dope).

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    maybe it doesnt scare you months later like Rosemary's baby will, but in the theatre that shit freaked me out.

Also, Altered States -- file under the "truth is frightening."

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I just noticed that's by the guy who did Alice. That was a pretty creepy movie as well.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ya'll folls are sleeping. You NEED to watch ALL the classic films of the sick ass Italian horror film master, DARIO ARGENTO! This dudes movies are BANANAS!!!!! Wifey got me into his movies, she saw all the classics as a kid in Japan. These are some of my favorite movies! His camera work is incredible. Crazy crane shots, overhead shots, all that. DOPE soundtracks by Goblin. Suspiria, Tenebrae and Deep Red are REQUIRED VIEWING peoples! These are all available on DVD in the U.S. and Europe.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Suspiria is one of the most beautiful studies of color in cinematic design, ever.

Argento freaks me out bigtime. I can barely remember tenebrae except for all the gruesome killing

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Did you know that Argento does all his own "hand work" (ie hands reaching through a window to strangle somebody, stabbing shots, etc)?

The Wicker Man is horrifying. The Fury is one of the greatest movies ever made, and is really more of a thriller than anything, but it has one or two genuinely disturbing moments. But I would say the scariest movie I've ever seen is Painful Deception, which is about the fact that there was a vast conspiracy behind 9/11.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The Wicker Man is horrifying.

Suspiria is one of the most beautiful studies in color and cinematic design, ever.

Argento freaks me out bigtime. I can barely remember tenebrae except for all the gruesome killing

Word young Mark! I agree with you on Suspiria. Wifey saw Suspiria UNCUT on Japanese TV in the middle of the day when she was like 10 years old. It fucked her up!!!! You NEED to watch Tenebrae again. Anchor Bay put out a nice special edition DVD that I'm sure you can catch on eBay. After you watch Tenebrae a few times and really get into it, it's just as ill as Suspiria. I've got lots of books on Argento where film critics and writers break down all the symbolism and meanings in his films. Pretty interesting reads. Argento is a CRAZY DUDE!!!!
    How is he gonna have his daughter being raped in a movie and sit there and watch it/direct it? Then dude is always killing his ex-wife, Daria Nicolodi, in the movies and the murders get worse every film! There are a few Argento documentaries out that are quite good. The interviews with his daughter Asia(HOLLA!!!!!!!!) are quite creepy. She said sometimes she thinks the only reason her father had her was to be able to put her in all those crazy movies!!!!

Asia Argento......

Did you know that Argento does all his own "hand work" (ie hands reaching through a window to strangle somebody, stabbing shots, etc)?

Word. Dude always wears black gloves. He is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    He even looks crazy....

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    The Fury is one of the greatest movies ever made

You talking about the Brian DePalma / Amy Irving joint?
    I'm in the middle of watching this now for the first time.
    I'm on a big DePalma kick right now.
    "Sisters" was ILL.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    People were either scared shitless by The Ring, or were thoroughly dissappointed.

I was scared out of my wits for a week afterwards. The weird thing is I watched the movie in broad daylight with some friends, and throughout the entire thing I was thinking almost nothing but how easy it would be to make a parody of it. Afterwards, however, when it got dark, and the TV was on, and that noise-stuff was there when I got back...

Jeez...

- J

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    Event Horizon was some scary ass shit.

for some reason, the good people at phiilippine airlines decided it was a good idea to make this an in-flight movie.... it was in the middle of the flight, so most everyone was asleep, but i'm sure everyone who was awake and watching were thinking "why the fuck are they playing this?"

i liked it though... felt like "hellraiser" in space... although i guess thats what hellraiser: bloodline is supposed to be

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I don't know about "scare", but this one will probobly fuck with your head a bit... I'm not sure if this is horror or slasher or what;

I also would like to say avoid "Eye 10" like the plague. It's so god awful it's pathetic. It's a comedy.

Some others;

...and this one seems to be getting it's p's, although I find it to be a bit overated. A little advice would be to import the dvd as opposed to watching it when it comes out on the 3rd. The US theatrical version is missing something like 10 minutes due to censors. I don't know, there are a few plot holes that need filling.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Wicker Man is horrifying.

I think Wicker Man is suspenseful and intriguing, but I wouldn't call it horrifying. I can't remember any frights, just an overall dread and suspense, that shit is just off.