Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I can cosign on these:

so far...

1. J DILLA (JAY DEE) - Donuts
    2. CAT POWER ??? The Greatest
    4. Ghostface- Fishscale
    5. TV ON THE RADIO - Return to Cookie Mountain

Not a stellar year for albums, but i'm still looking forward to the new Clipse.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    At the moment it's got to be Trae.

However I want to hold off making further commentary so as not to ruin the fun of the 10 page rap album of the year thread to come in December.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    juvenile

HE STILL EXISTS?!?

His last album wasn't an end-to-end banger, but it certainly fulfills most of the criteria necessary for it to qualify as "slept-on".

• The only album from 2006 that I've listened to
    more than a couple of times is the Awesome Color LP.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Christina and Primo did release the single of the year, IMO. I love that song.

The album's actually pretty good. Her voice can get a little wearing over an entire album, though. I'd put "Tell Me When To Go" ahead of anything as single of the year, personally. It's not suffered from the sort of over-exposure in the UK as it must have done in the US.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Dilla - Donuts (it made my all time list so i guess that counts for this year as well)
    Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor (the leak was hot, the retail is even better even if they did take off the best track)
    Sway - This Is My Demo (deecyyyphha)

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    hello everything
    doughnutz
    fishscale

• The best album of the year has yet to be released, trust me...

i still want to hear that latest Juve album.

• 6th Sense - Highing Fly

Soon to be Album of the Year....that I may or may not have had involvement in....

You guys are gonna be BLOWN AWAY with how Snoop is coming on this record. Amazing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    juvenile

HE STILL EXISTS?!?

His last album wasn't an end-to-end banger, but it certainly fulfills most of the criteria necessary for it to qualify as "slept-on".

Well he seems like a nice fellow, so I certainly wish him the best!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The best album of the year has yet to be released, trust me...

i still want to hear that latest Juve album.

It's too uneven to push for an album of the year but the first half in particular is great stuff.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i really want to hear this.

• I can cosign on these:

so far...

1. J DILLA (JAY DEE) - Donuts
    2. CAT POWER ??? The Greatest
    4. Ghostface- Fishscale
    5. TV ON THE RADIO - Return to Cookie Mountain

Not a stellar year for albums, but i'm still looking forward to the new Clipse.

• DESTROYER'S RUBIES

• DESTROYER'S RUBIES

That is good.

• that cover is just awful.

• this is the correct answer.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

this is the correct answer.

I think the cover is dope, and its at current the best album of the year.

.....No wait, its still that lil wayne mixtape.

Im hoping luda is about to drop something serious.

Or jeezy.

• Donuts --Proobably the best piece of art in any medium of the new millenium, perhaps even the one before, in my opinion.

Replace "book" with "album." From Kafka:
    "We need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen see inside us."

• overall this is a year of cool random tracks but very few excellent albums. But this is a definite exception:

dont sleep!!

almost as bad as the lead single.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm the official poster-boy for Lil Wayne jocking (after all, I am selling this t-shirt), but all this jocking of "Dedication 2" is kind've ridiculous. It's easily one of his weaker mixtapes from the past year or so.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That album is very good, though not the record of the year.

• LATE PASS:

I JUST BOUGHT THESE...Dedication #2DJ Drama & Lil' Wayne
    Young Jeezy:Trap Or Die DJ Drama & Jeezy

I ALSO REALIZED I NEVER HEARD 50 CENT IS THE FUTURE...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Young Jeezy:Trap Or Die DJ Drama & Jeezy
    ! talk about a late pass

yeah the jt is dope and so is the album cover. i bought some shoes like those yesterday

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Compilation of the year (hands down):

The cover is awesome. Works on so many levels.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    juvenile

HE STILL EXISTS?!?

Yeah, he's called adult now.

he had one of the biggest songs of 2004, and also offered the first and best post-Katrina commentary by a rapper.

i didn't hear Juvenile's post-katrina commentary, could it have been better than Kanye's? It certainly didn't get as much press. (i'm somewhat serious - kanye's commentary was bold, although lacking in much by way of detail.) The only other post-Katrina rapper commentary that I've heard was from David Banner, who called in to some radio show in Atlanta or somewhere and went off, in a good way. I don't remember what exactly he said right now, but I remember being impressed. I don't really like David Banner's music that much, but he was clearly speaking from the heart about the impact of the disaster on his community.

I hear that the new DJ Shadow album has a post-Katrina commentary track, too, but I haven't heard that yet either. (Dizzy - didn't DJ Shadow remix one of Keane's songs? Although I haven't heard it, that's the only reason that I have heard of Keane - something about a 10" got my record geek throbbing)

Anyway, as for the best album of the year, I haven't bought a lot of albums this year. But I still have discovered some new music.

I don't think that JOLIE HOLLAND released an album this year, though she might have. If she did, it would go on my best album list even though I haven't heard the whole thing. So far I've only heard a few of her songs. This guy who used to run a record store in my newly adopted town resigned when he got "Rookie manager of the year" from the new corporate glom that bought the small chain despite having managed the shop for 25 years. He opened an experimental music shop so he could live out some of his retail fetishes, like getting to know his customers and giving away free sampler CDs and including sales tax in the price of everything. the first sampler he gave me was called "Tuff gals" and it started off with two songs by Jolie Holland. Man, I listened to those songs over and over again (the rest of the sampler CD was just ok). "Mexican [something]" and I forget what the other one was called. Her voice is just haunting, almost too much by way of twang but somehow not quite too much. At least not for me. the verse about the bird tearing the world apart and putting it back together again with its melody really got me. but I like to watch birds, so maybe I'm an easy target for that verse.

I've heard FISHSCALE, and purchased it. it's pretty good, but I have found myself listening to certain tracks on the dj Ayers ghostface mix CD that came with it (can you tell I got it at Labcabin) more than the actual record. Those tracks where he raps over La-La means I love you and In the rain are really where it's at for me. What can I say? I'm a softie.

I haven't listened to DONUTS, but I think I have it in my record room. Is it really that good? what do you like about it? Will it be worth more sealed? (that was a joke - I don't resell records, if I don't like them, I tend to give them away. But I also don't always listen to stuff right away when I get it. I used to, but there are other more important things going on these days.)

The latest album release in 2006 that has me going is ABRACA e TRISTEZA by JUDITH & HOLOFERNES. J&H describe themselves as Fadocore, and they are heavily influenced by the fados of Portugal, but they usually sing in english (at least on this record they do). The opening track (after the gentle instrumental track that sets the tone - I guess it's track 2 on the CD) is about alcohol and kissing, and is highly recommended. Everything else is just as good, but somehow that one is the one that stays with me. (E*** I will send you a longer review in the post. but for now, accept my virtual thanks.) it's nothing like rap music, so don't buy it if that's what you're looking for. it's closer to folk, but without the mighty wind jokey pathetic undertones. And they plug in, so it's not acoustic (at least not all the way acoustic).

I'm looking forward to getting the new DJ shadow album and giving it a listen. I may not like it much, since I don't really get into this hyphy craze that the kids are talking about. I'm sure it's fun in the clubs and on the streets, but where I live, I'm in neither place very often. But I expect it will be interesting.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the new Outkast album. they haven't released a bad album yet, so I hope they don't start now.

There may have been some other good albums that I've heard in 2006 - I have the new Belle & Sebastian record, but it hasn't really stuck with me so much. Maybe I haven't given it a fair chance.

Anyway, those are my thoughts about post-Katrina rapper commentary and the best albums of 2006.

Thanks,
    JRoot