Define "Tacky Funk"

Comments

• Phish is good stuff, get familiar.

• FYI, the dude with the biggest, and craziest collection of funk 45s in Michigan (and it's a race he's winning by a large margin) used to be a Phish fanatic. In fact, I'm pretty sure he still bumps Phish at home with quite some regularity. He's also the scourge of many funk collectors on ebay...$i*ka$pr*ce

fr*nk raines is deeper than dante?

• FYI, the dude with the biggest, and craziest collection of funk 45s in Michigan (and it's a race he's winning by a large margin) used to be a Phish fanatic. In fact, I'm pretty sure he still bumps Phish at home with quite some regularity. He's also the scourge of many funk collectors on ebay...$i*ka$pr*ce

fr*nk raines is deeper than dante?

Most definitely not. Why, did Dante move to Michigan?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    phish sux

---

• Wait for it

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, the thing is there is compelling funk from every era since the beginning. I think anyone who is semi musically literate will agree with this. But saying that you have to like late 70's bar-kays sounding shit is ridiculous. Likewise, I am not saying anyone has to dislike late 60's Rusty Bryant on Prestige - just that there is way more worthwhile music to pursue of this genere and era, in my opinion.

Personally, I would much rather listen to late 70s Bar-Kays than to late 60s Rusty Bryant on Prestige.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Nor is Khemistry.

khemistry isnt funk at all. not to me...

• you're correct. but it phonicly sounds good next to kashmere.

what i mean is the 80's era of funk...

dazz band
    ozone
    zapp
    shotgun
    dayton
    lakeside
    bb&q
    bt express
    crown heights
    sunfire
    edwin birdsong
    cameo
    la connection
    t connection
    keni burke
    ttf
    pleasure
    gap band
    fat larrys band

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Can everyone agree on the position of The Crusaders (sans "Jazz"), at the very least?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I coined the term so lets set some parameters.

This is the internet age, nobody owns anything anymore!

I always took tacky funk to mean anything with obnoxiously in-your-face horns and more of a "funky steppin" beat. Pre or Post 1975

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how about latin percussion heavy bongo funk ala manteca?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    and while some of the blue note 'soul jazz' era may not be the best--how can one deny the quality of records that donald byrd was doing when he was past his 'jazz-prime'. granted, some of the blackbyrd's output is kinda cheesy--but 'places and spaces' as tepid and tacky?
    the mizzell brothers--nothing wrong with most of thier production/arranging.

• and while some of the blue note 'soul jazz' era may not be the best--how can one deny the quality of records that donald byrd was doing when he was past his 'jazz-prime'. granted, some of the blackbyrd's output is kinda cheesy--but 'places and spaces' as tepid and tacky?

i will never deny this greatness. places and spaces as always great. blacks and blues is awesome. that stuff is not tacky funk. i am a huge mizzell fan.

and while some of the blue note 'soul jazz' era may not be the best--how can one deny the quality of records that donald byrd was doing when he was past his 'jazz-prime'. granted, some of the blackbyrd's output is kinda cheesy--but 'places and spaces' as tepid and tacky?

i will never deny this greatness. places and spaces as always great. blacks and blues is awesome. that stuff is not tacky funk. i am a huge mizzell fan.

Not sure it's funk at all...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Tacky Funk: Most items on the Groove Merchant label
    I mean come on dudes, play a Mike Longo record or whatever and then play the Meters on Josie.

this mike longo record rules! i love this shit and play it often. i must like tacky funk.

• There is a reason why you see Prestige and Blue Notes from the late 60's and early 70's with "3 for $1"

Couldn't this have been a normal sale price?

Anybody on here remember the price of records during this time?

:elderly folks know the deal:

There is a reason why you see Prestige and Blue Notes from the late 60's and early 70's with "3 for $1"

No--LPs were definitely not 30 cents in the early seventies.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Black Drops/S> Dynamite Borthers OST is the only Earland I haven't purged. It has some sac to it.

• There is a reason why you see Prestige and Blue Notes from the late 60's and early 70's with "3 for $1"

:elderly folks know the deal:

no way. list prices were $4.99 to $6.49, budget labels $2.99. 3 for a dollar at fedco equals cant give this shit away.

and that mike longo is one of the best lp's on groove merchant. right up with ramon morris and larry willis.
    i am sure there are some others i am spacing on. oh yea, i like joe thomas feelings from within because of a little mellow synth jam that is on there. o'donel levy floats my boat too. as for the majority of that labels output i question it as tepid imo.

i guess what i am saying is i cannot reconcile the respect i have and joy i receive from an artist like horace tapscott when confronted with a cheese affair like jimmy mcgriff red beans. fell me?

• I just made a hammond thread without reading this one first....

sheesh, Earland tacky?

Oh well, considering the ball sweat that is drummed up for tacky ass records like the James Mason.....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Ya'll are describing what I've been calling Yatch Jazz. Replace the coke with Coca-cola. Forget about the yatch, just the hat will do. I like it.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    I just made a hammond thread without reading this one first....

sheesh, Earland tacky?

Oh well, considering the ball sweat that is drummed up for tacky ass records like the James Mason.....

james mason tacky? now you are trippin

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I just made a hammond thread without reading this one first....

sheesh, Earland tacky?

james mason tacky? now you are trippin

maybe he means bill mason? either way though. thou hast trippeth.

• nah...I mean James, I know not tacky, but just as silly to say Earland is tacky as well, so I thought I would throw up a revered raer on the choppin' block. But all things aside, I am not really feelin' the James Mason, thinkin' I might trade/sell it...also have a sealed Tarika Blue if that also tickles folks fancy. Not my style.

and as far as the Groove Merchant label what is tacky about Junior Parker "Love Aint nothin' but a Business Goin on"("Tomorrow Never Knows is (shit, we need a "deep" graemlin) killer) or McGriff's "Groove Grease" or Rueben's "the Sweet Life"?

• nothing much... whats tacky about masada, fly dude, red beans, man and woman?

• ITS TACKY FUNK DUDE.

• this thread is almost as embarassing as the "(crac)K in Canada" thread

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Naugahyde Funk.

Naugahyde Funk x Paul Frank

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Oh to be stranded on a desert island with nothing but Dennis Coffey "Sweet Taste Of Sin", and Groove Holmes "6 Million Dollar Man". Sweet heaven....

• alright...

whos going to defend this trud...