Define "Tacky Funk"

Comments

• but Fatback was killing it in the late 70's!

Agreed, but it was unquestionably funk of a different order. I dig Cameo and late-era Fatback band, but to me a lot of the funk from the late 70's just isn't as raw or inspired as the late-60's to mid-70's stuff I listen to.

It might not be "raw" but it is still funk music. A lot of it is dope to me. FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk. Its not that serious really though. Maybe I should start speaking on folk and rock because I know nothing about them. Its the soulstrut way. Nothin more to say.

Oh absolutely it's still funk, but it seems plausible to me that someone could dig "There Was a Time" and not really feel "Holy Ghost" and still be considered a funk fan.

• Maybe I should start speaking on folk and rock because I know nothing about them. Its the soulstrut way. Nothin more to say.

ABSURD. trust me when i tell you i have listened to a lot of funk records. i know many of these records inside out. i am down for 80's funk ozone and the like. ok earland can shred it too. i know and have been there done that. in fact it was about 14 years ago now when i used to buy that ish for a dollar.

now with that being said every genre has its highs and lows. there is some HORRID private issue folk and rock records that suck an ass.

as far as funk is concerned you guys mean to tell me there are no lows? bullshit. mike longo on pablo leaves something to be desired so deal with it bra. you mean to tell me that earland does not have some serious low points and some serious burnt jams? i find that hard to beleive.

ap

• There's no accountin' for taste.

Tacky funk is perhaps not a genre, but more of a trolling keyphrase?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tacky

Not Tacky

• haven't heard the pablo longo (looks kinda boring) but the mainstream stuff kicks hard and his work with diz (especially on the perception albums)is beyond reproach. yes, charles put out some clunkers(those mercury albums are poo) but none of this is realy cut and dry. all the muscians being discussed have had highs and lows (ie. freddie hubbard); i think thats probably obvious. charles earland albums aren't rare or expensive and most have at least 1-3 filler jazz ballad tracks and he's one of those guys that you start with when you get into that genre so the thrill doesn't last but he played with feeling and originality. smoke a j, then listen to oh let's say his cover of "its only just begun" and tell me thats not beautiful. i mean, when he plays you know its him.

i have to cosign on reynaldo's demonstration...

Perhaps we can all agree, however, that modern funk cover/jam bands with names like 'Funky Brothers of the Groove' that play at the bar down the street are always, without exception, and by definition, tacky.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's no accountin' for taste.

Perhaps we can all agree, however, that modern funk cover/jam bands with names like 'Funky Brothers of the Groove' that play at the bar down the street are always, without exception, and by definition, tacky.

LOL I was thinking about this just tonight, I was listening to the
    radio in the car and they had a local concert report, and I just heard
    the dude say a band named "FUNK NUGGET" and I was like and could
    totally picture the whole scene - it made me start wondering, though,
    what is the source/inspiration for bands like these? Like the dude who
    plays congas in "FUNK NUGGET" with his trustafarian cap, hemp shirt &
    sandals - what is his favorite "funk" record? Has he ever even
    HEARD OF Eddie Bo?

• That's my favorite Hap Palmer album too.

• i think i know where david byrne got his sound for remain in light now..

HEARD OF Eddie Bo?

I'm afraid the funk jam band may exist on a plane of musical aptitude and ingenuity that is simply incomprehensible to pedestrian music fans like you and I.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There's no accountin' for taste.

HEARD OF Eddie Bo?

I'm afraid the funk jam band may exist on a plane of musical aptitude and ingenuity that is simply incomprehensible to pedestrian music fans like you and I.

AKA: Phish.

• string cheese incident

• i loathe phish, string cheese incident, widespread panic and all that jam band crapola...once loved a girl who was super into phish and i teased her about it almost every day. i have never dated a chick that liked my music and my current lady friend is into tepid canadian rock. frankly, i think its better that way.

on an entirely differnt note, i wish i had a bag of that bc bud right now. the shit out here is whack.

• string cheese incident

Oh shit, here we go. Hahaha. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with where this thread is going.

FYI, the dude with the biggest, and craziest collection of funk 45s in Michigan (and it's a race he's winning by a large margin) used to be a Phish fanatic. In fact, I'm pretty sure he still bumps Phish at home with quite some regularity. He's also the scourge of many funk collectors on ebay...$i*ka$pr*ce

Define "Tepid Canadian Rock"

• $i*ka$pr*ce

• nicklebag, wide mouth mason, 54-40...do you want me to go on?

personally, almost all the pop-rock coming out of montreal these past few years is just as schlocky, sentimental, and mawkish

but let me just say this...sam roberts is worth checking out (even if he is a lil brit pop)

• $i*ka$pr*ce

hahaha! i know, the mind boggles.

Dude's DJ box is THICK.

nicklebag, wide mouth mason, 54-40...do you want me to go on?

I was joking

I should have said "Define Non-Tepid Canadian Rock" for a real challenge!

• $i*ka$pr*ce

Dude's DJ box is THICK.

I'll bet.

Dang, well this is just a good example to show that generalizing or pidgeonholing someone else's tastes because of their fondness for a particular group or sound is silly. In a sense, it's 'keeping it real' (limited). This is why I have a problem with mindgarden roundups such as 'tacky funk'. I respect those musicians who put it down and kept it relevant, especially throughout several eras of a changing music industry. Context.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    $i*ka$pr*ce

Dude's DJ box is THICK.

I'll bet.

Dang, well this is just a good example to show that generalizing or pidgeonholing someone else's tastes because of their fondness for a particular group or sound is silly. In a sense, it's 'keeping it real' (limited). This is why I have a problem with mindgarden roundups such as 'tacky funk'. I respect those musicians who put it down and kept it relevant, especially throughout several eras of a changing music industry. Context.

J*sh, I hate to be the one to say this, but you are just way to open-minded and non judgemental for the internet.

• but Fatback was killing it in the late 70's!

Agreed, but it was unquestionably funk of a different order. I dig Cameo and late-era Fatback band, but to me a lot of the funk from the late 70's just isn't as raw or inspired as the late-60's to mid-70's stuff I listen to.

It might not be "raw" but it is still funk music. A lot of it is dope to me. FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk. Its not that serious really though. Maybe I should start speaking on folk and rock because I know nothing about them. Its the soulstrut way. Nothin more to say.

i agree cameo, parlimanet, gap band etc is the stuff that got me into funk in the first place.

i'm really confused about this term...so it's basically any funk music you don't like ?

• $i*ka$pr*ce

Dude's DJ box is THICK.

I'll bet.

And with that, the thread was done.

• Look to me tacky funk is weak commercial jazz based funk on the Groove Merchant, Kudu, Prestige, Blue Note, Mainstream labels. Shit like that. I coined the term so lets set some parameters.

No way is Kashmere tacky funk. Nor is Khemistry. I am talking about tepid imo 70's commercial jazz funk that will make you depressed and make you want to kill yourself. I am not talking about funk records with a pure approach, The Meters or The JB's.

I respect most any musician or artist, but to the contrary I think it is pretty damn depressing what happened with labels like Prestige and Groove Merchant and the like.

To me a lot of the tracks that producers were having these artists record at the time were a direct attempt at making "jazz" music commercially viable as it was truly beaten down by the mid 70's. That's sad in and of itself.

There is a reason why you see Prestige and Blue Notes from the late 60's and early 70's with "3 for $1" stickers on the shrink wrap. No one was buying this stuff. In fact it is really amazing that these records are worth $25 to $40 each today.

So basically a lot of these recordings were an attempt in vain to make a commercial record and some of them just come off tacky.

Now don't get me all twisted with this... I find a lot of 70's Prestige to be amazing. Fire Eater for one is no joke. I dig Funk Inc.'s version of "I'll be Around" off Priced to Sell. In makes me feel all happy the way the horn line stabs mellow. I like all kinds of good shit.

With that being said I have heard some depressing ass shit on the Mainstream, Kudu, and Groove Merchant labels from the mid 70's. I felt straight up sorry for Kynard when he recorded for Mainstream.

There is something so sad about having to hear a great musician like Johnny Hammond or Jimmy McGriff have to play some sorry funk version of a lame 70's pop song because some producer was trying to save a sinking boat.

All you have to do is look at the advertising in 70's Downbeat's to understand what I am saying.

As far as I am concerned CTI saved the day. I just think there was so many other vital sounds in jazz at the time besides the commercial funk tepid. Mahavishnu, Tribe and Strata East, CTI give me that shit any day of the week over this tacky funk shit. This was real, vital music that was serious shit. I kind of can't take a record on Groove Merchant seriously after listening to some gnarly CTI.

• IMO of course.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    gnarly CTI

• charles earland =

SORRY

gets him a pass imo

if you diss this, you diss yourself..

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    why im on here at 6:30 am is beyond me

i think that your taste matures. im sure a lot of the older diggers here were hype to find groove merchants or kudus or anything in the same vein when they first started diggin
    not everyone that collects records has access to or even knows about strate east or tribe. not everyone goes to the internet to see what they should be lookin for. if they werent put onto some real grimey funk from the jump, tacky funk becomes more of an introduction to that raw funk since its pretty easy to come across
    ive got records from all those labels. there isnt much depth to them and im sure i picked them up because of one track on it.
    im goin to sleep