Define "Tacky Funk"

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
ok, whats the deal here? to me tacky funk is like ohio players, dazz band, cameo, wild cherry, etc...anyways when strutters say tacky funk is dead do they mean like curtis mayfield, jbs, the counts, nite-liters, charles earland, funk inc, etc? let's discuss...dig the new graemlins!

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    tacky funk = anything < than Reynaldo or < than boscoe,pap ,ill horn stabs,AP's ButtHairs or swingin' on K in
    canada's Nut Sack

• to me tacky funk is like ohio players, dazz band, cameo, wild cherry

Me too. Any funk where the singer has a nasal voice and goes "Yeowww" a lot is tr??s tacky.

But I think you're right in your assumption: the "tacky funk" phrase users on this board are denigrating pre-1975 funk that is too raw for their refined tastes.

• But I think you're right in your assumption: the "tacky funk" phrase users on this board are denigrating pre-1975 funk that is too raw for their refined tastes.
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    lock into 1968 to 1974 pre disco 16 track anaolg drum tape distortion compression minus the cocaine and leather outfits

• ok, whats the deal here? to me tacky funk is like ohio players, dazz band, cameo, wild cherry, etc...anyways when strutters say tacky funk is dead do they mean like curtis mayfield, jbs, the counts, nite-liters, charles earland, funk inc, etc?

let's discuss...

dig the new graemlins!

I personally like Cameo and Ohio Players a lot. A lot more than "the real deep funk made between the years of 69 and March of 71 buy unknown artists". Its all personal preference though. I can't imagine anybody referring to Curtis shit as "tacky" though. Thats just wrong.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tedious, un-dynamic, unchanging, uninspiring, incompetent, ugly, low replay value.

FRANK MOTLEY

nite-liters, charles earland, funk inc are on life support.

JB gets a lifetime pass.

curtis is not at all tacky funk.

• I can't imagine anybody referring to Curtis shit as "tacky" though. Thats just wrong.

co-sign...curtis is the man....

• No not curtis. I am the one who coined this term so let me give the the definative answer.

Tacky Funk: Most items on the Groove Merchant label. In example certain recordings by George Freeman. Some Kudu too. Basically mid to late 70's nonsense that is overproduced and commercial in nature. Not real, not raw.

Now before I take any heat for not liking funk music let me be the first to say this is untrue. I like Jimmy McGriff Soul Sugar and Fatback Band on Perception and The Edwards Generation and BW Souls and all kinds of shit. I just dont want no grover washington jr chest hair up in my grill. That shit is tacky funk son.

• charles earland =

SORRY

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Charles Earland is definitely not tacky.

"Black Talk" is NOT tacky,.

Charles Earland "III" with Lee Morgan final session ("Speedball")
    and "Girl You Need a Change of Mind" is NOT tacky.

Charles Earland on Ivan Jones sessions, Rusty Bryant sessions,
    Charlie Earland "Black Drops" "Living Black" "Intensity" are NOT[/b] tacky.

Charles Earland "Live at the Lighthouse" is NOT tacky.

Black Drops is the only Earland I haven't purged. It has some sac to it.

• I agree.

I also think Ohio Players and Cameo are for the most part AWESOME, and I can't really
    front on the Dazz band either.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    No not curtis. I am the one who coined this term so let me give the the definative answer.

Tacky Funk: Most items on the Groove Merchant label. In example certain recordings by George Freeman. Some Kudu too. Basically mid to late 70's nonsense that is overproduced and commercial in nature. Not real, not raw.

Now before I take any heat for not liking funk music let me be the first to say this is untrue. I like Jimmy McGriff Soul Sugar and Fatback Band on Perception and The Edwards Generation and BW Souls and all kinds of shit. I just dont want no grover washington jr chest hair up in my grill. That shit is tacky funk son.

If I may embellish upon the creators definition just slightly, there is plenty of late 60's and early 70's TACKY FUNK. Lots of the Prestige shit that was like one session broken into 4 lp's is TACKY FUNK, IMHO. GEEZER jazzmen way past their prime cutting sessions for Blue Note in 1972 can often be TACKY FUNK.

I mean come on dudes, play a Mike Longo record or whatever and then play the Meters on Josie. If you don't understand after that, then you might just be a TACKY FUNK WHORE.

Get "III" - not tacky funk or funk at all but a
    great mix of post-bop and soul jazz.
    The Eddie Kendricks cover is the icing on the cake.

I just think it's silly when defining tacky funk to single
    out a jazz artist with the integrity of Charles Earland.
    There are a lot of more reasonable targets to go after.

When I think of tacky funk I think of the sound of bands who
    were good at first, but got lazy with success and just started
    playing by the numbers or smoothing their sound for crossover appeal.

See late-70's Ohio Players and Fatback Band for examples.

I mean come on dudes, play a Mike Longo record or whatever and then play the Meters on Josie. If you don't understand after that, then you might just be a TACKY FUNK WHORE.

• but Fatback was killing it in the late 70's!

yadaming. I have all those records. Want the cd's now too. "Backstrokin" = Tacky??? I just think most of you guys never liked funk in the first place. Nothin wrong with admittin it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Look a Py Py

I just think most of you guys never liked funk in the first place.

Wow! You nailed it!

I just think most of you guys never liked funk in the first place.

Wow! You nailed it!

Bullshit. I have to like some cheesey late 70's swill to like funk? Uhhh... OK...

Agreed, but it was unquestionably funk of a different order. I dig Cameo and late-era Fatback band, but to me a lot of the funk from the late 70's just isn't as raw or inspired as the late-60's to mid-70's stuff I listen to.

• charles earland =

SORRY

i respectfully disagree....the man could burn...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Hcrink? Check. Anthony Pearson? Check. Jacob Wizzle? Check. Am I the only one getting deja vu here? How many pages before mojoworking comes in and throws a hissy fit?

Hcrink? Check. Anthony Pearson? Check. Jacob Wizzle? Check. Am I the only one getting deja vu here? How many pages before mojoworking comes in and throws a hissy fit?

added just in time...

Agreed, but it was unquestionably funk of a different order. I dig Cameo and late-era Fatback band, but to me a lot of the funk from the late 70's just isn't as raw or inspired as the late-60's to mid-70's stuff I listen to.

It might not be "raw" but it is still funk music. A lot of it is dope to me. FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk. Its not that serious really though. Maybe I should start speaking on folk and rock because I know nothing about them. Its the soulstrut way. Nothin more to say.

FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

It might not be "raw" but it is still funk music. A lot of it is dope to me. FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk. Its not that serious really though. Maybe I should start speaking on folk and rock because I know nothing about them. Its the soulstrut way. Nothin more to say.

also 80s cheesy funk is a whole other level of dopeness!

• FYI if you don't like Cameo, Parliament, Zapp, Bar Kays or late 70's Fatback etc... you don't like funk.

i think we can all agree that parliament gets a pass up until the early 80's

I mean, the thing is there is compelling funk from every era since the beginning. I think anyone who is semi musically literate will agree with this. But saying that you have to like late 70's bar-kays sounding shit is ridiculous. Likewise, I am not saying anyone has to dislike late 60's Rusty Bryant on Prestige - just that there is way more worthwhile music to pursue of this genere and era, in my opinion.