THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Blog: Mama McNabb Worried Fans Could 'Crucify' Son[/b]

By Scott Bomboy, Managing Editor, NBC10.com

Slideshow: 40 Viewers Argue About Garcia Vs. McNabb!

In a small item that picked up a lot of steam on local sports-talk radio Thursday, a blog from Donovan McNabb's mom suggests she's fearful for her son if the Eagles win the Super Bowl with Jeff Garcia at quarterback.

Wilma McNabb, known nationally for her soup commercials, has some frank talk on the www.donovanmcnabb.com Web site in her blog, which is at the following link:

Link: www.donovanmcnabb.com/mmc

"We want our team to win and even go to the Superbowl and win it in Miami especially if they continue to play as they have. But oh oh, if they win the Superbowl without my son, what would be the real outcome with the fans? Will they crucify him?"

"Maybe, then the trade talks would begin. Off season madness, worse than last year's fiasco. But guess what, I guess I'll have to take the beating if it comes. I would have to hope that scenario of the madness would not happen or be that bad. Well let's wait and see."

The item appears on the official McNabb Web site.

Since the Eagles went on a playoff run with Garcia at quarterback substituting for an injured Donovan McNabb, there has been a growing debate among fans in public about which quarterback should play for the Eagles next fall.

McNabb's rehab is expected to extend into late summer, while Garcia is a free agent next February.

We've received a huge amount of e-mail on the subject.

And in an NBC 10 Live Vote, about 62 percent of fans preferred Garcia to McNabb as the starting quarterback for 2007.

Within the Eagles' locker room, this is a nonissue.

McNabb won't address the issue publicly but they are believed to get along very well. Garcia has said publicly that McNabb is the team's quarterback and he's here to help until McNabb can play again.

"This is his position,??? Jeff Garcia said Wednesday. ???I have a temporary hold on it. I'm just trying to do the best possible job that I can do to help this team win. And I think he's very supportive of that.???

We'll keep you updated on this developing story as the Eagles march to the playoffs.

Posted on Thu, Dec. 28, 2006

McNabb accepts background role[/b]
    He has backed Garcia during Eagles??? run

By Bob Brookover
    Inquirer Staff Writer

As Jeff Garcia becomes more popular with each Eagles victory, it's only natural to wonder what Donovan McNabb thinks about all this.

You remember McNabb, don't you? He's the guy who used to play quarterback before Garcia burst onto the scene and resurrected this season and his sagging career by leading the Eagles to four consecutive victories and a playoff berth.

McNabb, of course, was having a pretty good season before colliding with Tennessee defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch along the Titans' sideline in a Nov. 19 game at Lincoln Financial Field. The eight-year veteran quarterback left the field on a cart with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee that required surgery and ended his 2006 season.

Except for a few brief television interviews since then, McNabb basically has shied away from the media. The Eagles said yesterday that the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback doesn't want to be a distraction as the team prepares for both Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons and a playoff run that seemed so unlikely when McNabb went down.

McNabb is still around the NovaCare Complex rehabilitating his knee, and those who have spoken to him say he has been nothing but supportive of Garcia's outstanding control of the Eagles' West Coast offense since taking over as the starter.

"I talk to Donovan all the time, and Donovan is one of Jeff's biggest fans," coach Andy Reid said before practice yesterday. "He's in here every day, encouraging people and being Donovan. He's pulling for the team."

(read more)

It doesn't seem like anyone is writing off McNabb as QB, how could they? Without his stellar performance while he was playing, the Eagles wouldn't be in a position to win after he went down. It's not like Garcia turn the team into something they weren't previously, it was just a smart move in the off season for Reid and posse to find a legit backup for Donovan.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Phill[/b] Most, are Eagles a better team w/ Garcia than McNabb? Honest question not baiting......very nervous about the matchup but I'm thinking the Saints should get it done. NFL did you no favors scheduling that game on a Saturday night, believe it.

I gotta be honest, I like Garcia running that offense more than I like McNabb in there. But it's not that Garcia is necessarily a better QB. They run the offense different with Garcia in there, relying more on the running game and the short passing game. In short, they're running a purer version of the west coast offense. With McNabb, they're looking downfield for more big plays, which can mean a more explosive offense but can also mean more three and outs and less time of possession if they don't connect on those big plays. With Garcia in there the whole objective is to just methodically move the sticks, because the coaches know that he's got a pea-shooter throwing arm. So those longer, more sustained drives also help the defense to get their wind and the result is that they've been a lot fresher and haven't been gashed by the run nearly as bad as they were in the middle of the season.
    I'll be happy having McNabb back as the starter next season as long as the coaches keep the run / pass ratio where it's been with Garcia in there, and as long as McNabb just does what needs to be done to get 1st downs instead of always looking for the home run. Donovan is WAAAAY more talented than Garcia, but it's not always about the talent. It's gonna be a tough decision as far as who's gonna be the QB next year, but believe me- that's a good problem to have.

Now, as for this New Orleans game- it's gonna be tough. The Saints have a lot of weapons on offense, and that Sean Payton dude KNOWS what to do against the Eagles. I think it's gonna come down to who's defense plays better, because both offenses are high-powered. Of course I'm biased, but I think we have a couple of difference makers on defense who will make some key big plays and that's gonna be what wins it for us. The Superdome is gonna be rockin', though... hopefully we won't be crushed by the "Saints Fever" that's gonna overtake the whole stadium

• Westbrook scares me more than anyone on the Eagles team. He's just nasty. Garcia in there actually helps out the Saints a tiny bit from the perspective of the Saints get gashed w/ long bombs. Garcia gives them a better chance to "keep everything in front of the defense." That defense is playing great for the Eagles...still they gon' have a lot of weapons to deal with. Two great gameday coaches...this has the makings of a great playoff game.

The Eagles did us baaaad though in the playoffs back in 94 or 95...would like a measure of revenge. (Saints playoff memories have to go back a while...lol).

• Jeff Garcia is 37 years old. He's still one of the best backups, but he would break down over a full season.

Jeff Garcia is 37 years old. He's still one of the best backups, but he would break down over a full season.

I agree... he still looks spry, but the Eagles would have to be the biggest folls on earth to jettison one of the top 5 qbs in the league in favor of a dude who's pushing 40. EVEN if he takes us to the super bowl. Philly fans are brutal, though... if Donovan has a couple of bad games next season (as he undoubtedly will), the fans are gonna be calling for McNabb's head and chanting Garcia's name. Probably won't even take a couple of bad games, just a couple of bad throws.

• Where's Giants fan at?

You gotta love J. Shockey man. He left it out all on the field yesterday. YOu could tell he was in some pain. That play where he lost his helmet and kept battling was crazy.

• FUGGIT.

Here's my picks but I reserve the right to change them.

Saints over Eagles and you know this
    Ravens over Colts
    Chicago over Seattle
    and these dudes are gonna break some hearts on the West Coast:

I had some concerns about the Saints, but after re-evaluating them, their season and that game we lost to them in week 6, you know what? The Saints ain't all that. They were 10-6, same as the Eagles... people talk about them like they're some 15-1 juggernaut or something. We basically GAVE them that week 6 game with a handful of boneheaded plays- that won't happen again. And the main reason I'm not worried about the Saints... dammit, they're the Saints. Y'all musta forgot.

Mark this down: Eagles DOMINATE this game. We comin' to Nawlins to beat that Bush up and put paperbags back on all Aints fans' heads. I can't wait for saturday night!

• Saints over Eagles and you know this

I had some concerns about the Saints, but after re-evaluating them, their season and that game we lost to them in week 6, you know what? The Saints ain't all that. They were 10-6, same as the Eagles... people talk about them like they're some 15-1 juggernaut or something. We basically GAVE them that week 6 game with a handful of boneheaded plays- that won't happen again. And the main reason I'm not worried about the Saints... dammit, they're the Saints. Y'all musta forgot.

Mark this down: Eagles DOMINATE this game. We comin' to Nawlins to beat that Bush up and put paperbags back on all Aints fans' heads. I can't wait for saturday night!

WHAT IS THIS BULLSCHITT?

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS HOMMIE.

WHAT UP WID IT?

• Saints over Eagles and you know this

This is some faulty analysis. Gave away the game? How bout couldn't get the ball back w/ 9 minutes left cos y'all D couldn't stop Drew and the boys on a game-winning drive and you had no TOs left because your team was shook by the fans in the Dome that will be at least twice as crazy this time around.

I'll give you a healthier Westbrook but that's not > than Bush + Deuce.

Close game, close teams. I'm not saying this is a whitewash or nothing, but Saints will get it done.

WHAT IS THIS BULLSCHITT?

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS HOMMIE.

WHAT UP WID IT?

LETS DO THIS[/b]

MONEY AIN'T A THANNG AND SCURRED SCRILLA DON'T MAKE NUNNN

GET CHO GWOP UP... I'M READY TO GET PAID BY SOME MO' DOWN SOUTH FOLK!!!

YOU NAME IT, CUZ, WHAT IT DEW??? A GENUINE PHILLY HOAGIE fo' a SCRIMP PO BOY???

WHO DAT GON' BEAT DEM IGGLES??? THE AINTS??? I AIN'T HEARDA THAT[/b]

This is some faulty analysis. Gave away the game? How bout couldn't get the ball back w/ 9 minutes left cos y'all D couldn't stop Drew and the boys on a game-winning drive and you had no TOs left because your team was shook by the fans in the Dome that will be at least twice as crazy this time around.

I'll give you a healthier Westbrook but that's not > than Bush + Deuce.

Close game, close teams. I'm not saying this is a whitewash or nothing, but Saints will get it done.

Trust me, this is NOT the same Eagles that lost that week 6 game. Not the same offense- get ready to get gashed on the ground and WE will be the ones controlling the ball and winning the time of possession battle- but ESPECIALLY...

NOT THE SAME DEFENSE[/b]

• Nothin personal man...I's just gettin hyped for the game. The Saints have been in this round of the playoffs ONCE in 40+ years and that was on the road. I GOTS TO GET HYPE.

I will counter and say the Saints are improved on offense and defense as well since that game. Last five games not counting the final game when 3rd teamers played, the defense gave up 13, 10, 17, 16 and 7 against some of the same teams the Eagles played down the stretch.

Edge to Philly on experience. Big edge hopefully to Nola for crowd enthusiasm. Edge to the Saints for rest and preparation. Eagles down a ProBowler....on a short week...just feel the Saints should get this done. Payton has come up big in big games so far this year.

If WEstbrook gets 160+ or Saints commit turnovers then it could be a wrap.

Bets.......how about if I lose I'll cop that Whut it Dew 4 down here or something locally similar and if you lose you send me some of your music or some Philly illness or whatever?

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!

Bets.......how about if I lose I'll cop that Whut it Dew 4

uhhh... shouldn't the winner get something they might actually enjoy?

if you ain't down to go G for G, let's just make it one of those deals where you have to sport the avatar of my choosing for a month or whatever.

excuse me, let me reword that- the loser has to sport the avatar of the winner's choosing for a month or whatever. The first way I wrote that was more accurate, but I don't want to come off as being presumptuous or anything

• Bets.......how about if I lose I'll cop that Whut it Dew 4

if you ain't down to go G for G, let's just make it one of those deals where you have to sport the avatar of my choosing for a month or whatever.

excuse me, let me reword that- the loser has to sport the avatar of the winner's choosing for a month or whatever. The first way I wrote that was more accurate, but I don't want to come off as being presumptuous or anything

Oh we can do $$. I musta misunderstood. Name it.

It don't matter, my man! Fitty, a hunned?? You wanna get into some high stakes schitt? LET'S DO IT

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    B***n, I'm sorry but the 'Aints are soft-served. They're not seeing those dirty birds.

Yo, and anybody out there who got some Colts money they want to throw away, HOLLA ATCHA DUDE. My paypal address is [email]soulman@worldofbeats.com[/email], just send that loot to me today and wait for the Colts to get deflowered tomorrow

Oops, I forgot... Colts play today, right? Even better.

• Yeah Let's Go Baby!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Indy at Baltimore :[/b] ...I smell Cinderella's twat ......It happens every year, in every sport ....There must be a Cinderella .....Playoffs are not official until somebody says "nobody believed in us ...but we believed in ourselves" ......Baltimore hasn't played anybody since they lost to The Bengals....McNair is still McNair....Eli deserves more misery ...Tony deserves a break

Colts[/b]

Philly at New Orleans:[/b] ...The Jeff Garcia show ends today....You have to throw the ball down field to beat The Saints....This is Jeff's weakness...Westbrook did nothing when they played earlier this year....The Eagles defense couldn't catch Brees or stop Horn when they were healthy

Saints[/b]

• Indy at Baltimore :[/b] ...I smell Cinderella's twat ......It happens every year, in every sport ....There must be a Cinderella .....Playoffs are not official until somebody says "nobody believed in us ...but we believed in ourselves" ......Baltimore hasn't played anybody since they lost to The Bengals....McNair is still McNair....Eli deserves more misery ...Tony deserves a break

Colts[/b]

Philly at New Orleans:[/b] ...The Jeff Garcia show ends today....You have to throw the ball down field to beat The Saints....This is Jeff's weakness...Westbrook did nothing when they played earlier this year....The Eagles defense couldn't catch Brees or stop Horn when they were healthy

Saints[/b]

Fuck man I thought you'd take Ravens so I played it safe. I'm rooting for the Colts. Ballsy pick.

• B***n, I'm sorry but the 'Aints are soft-served. They're not seeing those dirty birds.

This post has been marked for future reference. Like maybe 10:30 ish tonight.

• Bets.......how about if I lose I'll cop that Whut it Dew 4

It don't matter, my man! Fitty, a hunned?? You wanna get into some high stakes schitt? LET'S DO IT

I'm good with Fifty.

I'm good with Fifty.

That's a bet. Once again, paypal payments may be sent to [email]soulman@worldofbeats.com[/email]

Enjoy the game!

• I'm good with Fifty.

That's a bet.

Enjoy the game!

You too man. It should be pretty live. I'm gonna go get a big spread from Popeye's about an hour before kickoff.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    B***n, I'm sorry but the 'Aints are soft-served. They're not seeing those dirty birds.

This post has been marked for future reference. Like maybe 10:30 ish tonight.

Yeah Let's Go Baby!

I can't even believe the way these dudes are playing in this game. NO intensity whatsoever. They're letting Peyton feel comfortable!

12-3 in the 3rd... Rhodes just broke off a big run... the writing's on the wall, this one is basically