05 Summer Jam(s)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Daniel I know you only hate Gwen because you don't like fun.

Also, I like when we have conversations about authenticity and identity!

I am more fun than your dour little mind can even conceive of, terd!

My mind is very creative and right now it pictures you in a room with overweight and/or absurdly hairy men listening to Bizzy Bone and going "that's real" while I chill with Gwen Stefani in an adjacent room and eat candy and spell names of fruit. We will also be wearing comfortable shoes while you are dressed in business attire

Okay, I am humble enough to admit when I've thoroughly been sonned.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Daniel I know you only hate Gwen because you don't like fun.

Also, I like when we have conversations about authenticity and identity!

I am more fun than your dour little mind can even conceive of, terd!

My mind is very creative and right now it pictures you in a room with overweight and/or absurdly hairy men listening to Bizzy Bone and going "that's real" while I chill with Gwen Stefani in an adjacent room and eat candy and spell names of fruit. We will also be wearing comfortable shoes while you are dressed in business attire

Okay, I am humble enough to admit when I've thoroughly been sonned.

Sonned? But I am so young and you are so old! I think you maybe have been fathered?

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    Amerie - 1 Thing
    Brooke Valentine - Girl Fight
    Common - Go
    & Anything produced by the Neptunes

P.S. I know I left a lot out, but this is all I can think of right now.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Dude, I didn't say you were sexist I said "you are sounding a little sexist" that was just an invitation for you to explain why you think Gwen is "stupid"(one of the least descriptive words ever btw). I guess I don't feel like Gwen is "appropriating" anything, either autheniclly or in-authenticly. I thought "Rich Girl" was pretty good, I liked dre's beat and think overall it was a good pop song. I guess musicians are not allowed to cover reggae unless they are black huh? Keepin' that mind open. And "Holla Back Girl", I guess that is inauthentically apropriating marching band music and simple synth lines? And you really think the asian entourage is racist? I think it's just capitalizng on the Kill Bill thing, but maybe that is racist to you too? Maybe us white folks should all stick to appalatian folk music and quilting but then we'd have to only do fiddle tunes b/c the banjo is of African origin. Sorry to be venting and ranting but I'm getting really sick of people judging art as good or bad based on wheter or not it "appropriates" elements from other cultures.

Dude, you're getting worked up and really simplifying the arguments I'm making int arguments that I'm just flat out not making.

First of all, yeah, I kept it vague with the "stupid" comment because I really wasn't trying to make the effort to thoroughly articulate why I dislike her.

But, that being said, there is absolutely no question that Gwen's music is "appropriating" (and, in fact, one can make the argument that all music done by white folks today is, at a very basic and important level, "appropriation"). However, that isn't my criticism of her music. The fact that it is "appropriative" in and of itself doesn't make it or "good" or "bad" music and that's something I mentioned quite clearly that you chose to ignore.

Let me try again here:

The reason I dislike "Rich Girl" has nothing to do with the fact that it's a white girl covering a dancehall song but has everything to do with the fact that I think the song sucks. It loses all the energy of the original and doesn't add anything to it. It sounds[/b] like a white-washing and/or re-marketed and re-manufactured version of a popular dancehall song. I don't care whether or not it is actually "authentic" or "inauthentic." I'm just saying the sound of it is "inauthentic." If Mary J did that exact same song, I'd be saying it sucks for the same reasons. Don't ask me to articulate exactly what it is about the beat or her delivery that makes it "not work" (although I will say it has something to do with the tinny, stiffness of the beat and Gwen's completely uncharismatic delivery) and just accept my opinion of the song for what it is. But, just as a contrast, I rather like Justin Timberlake's recent appropriation of hip-hop (I absolutely LOVE "Cry Me a River"). He pulls that shit off in a convincing and provocative manner and, I simply don't feel like Gwen does this.

In all honesty, I'm all for "appropriation" and I find hip-hop's obsession with "authenticity" to be pretty frightening, frustrating, and even quite off-base (i.e. I feel like one of the main lessons that hip-hop music is trying to teach us is that "authenticity" is not to be trusted and yet, interestingly, there is still a huge obsession with "authenticity" in the music). I am by no means saying something reductive and ridiculous like "white folks should all stick to appalation folk music." But, we also shouldn't forget that given this country's racial history that white people do have a certain responsibility to, at the very least, "be careful" when they do appropriate from other cultures-- especially black culture. What "being careful" entials exactly is up for debate and I don't know if I would argue that Gwen really breaks these unwritten rules of appropriation in her music, but suffice it to say that I think her appropriation is an unsuccesful one because of how it sounds[/b] the same way that I find Justin Timberlake's appropriation to be a succesful one because of how it sounds[/b].

-e

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Amerie - 1 Thing
    Brooke Valentine - Girl Fight

These coulda been but are already too old

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I'm going to see Emynd's "stupid" and raise it to "stupid clown."

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

You guys are mean! She has a really bad team of stylists and whatnot but she's so good! So what if she looks a little cartoonish? I know I am stretching because she looks like a total douchebag but have you heard her album I love that shit my god this thread is killing me

Someone photoshop emynd, urrs, and faux's face onto this photo so they feel the pain (no dinosaur jr)

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

You guys are mean! She has a really bad team of stylists and whatnot but she's so good! So what if she looks a little cartoonish? I know I am stretching because she looks like a total douchebag but have you heard her album I love that shit my god this thread is killing me

Someone photoshop emynd, urrs, and faux's face onto this photo so they feel the pain (no dinosaur jr)

Man, I can't front, she does look kinda cute in that pic.

I'll admit to liking some of the Gwen album, including Hollaback (shit IS bananas)... NO Rich Girl however, like the local deejay says on the mixshow "I like the original better!"

The one thing that bugs me about the whole presentation is the Asian chicks - shit is MAD racist... seeing her on television interviews with them in tow is what cemented that for me - she refuses to acknowledge them at all (never mind as human beings) when asked, they are truly just a part of her "image"

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    The one thing that bugs me about the whole presentation is the Asian chicks - shit is MAD racist...
    how about midget sidekicks? What's that, sizeism? It's just a freakin' publicity stunt/performance art piece.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I predict these guys will come out of hiding

and will drop a

o h s n a p

I really hope so.

im afraid their time may have passed.

what? Dude you gotta explain.

Well I don't have all the "I been in the studio with such-and-such A&R" access that B does

But I did download about 15 songs supposed to be their new album and I think one and a half were good

hahaha, oh please. I aint been in the studio with nobody. I was just saying that completely off speculation. And the fact that theres really no hype behind them right now at all. Seems like I might be right though.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    It's just a freakin' publicity stunt/performance art piece.

This is part of what makes it so darn reprehensibly racist, silly head!

-e

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

and will drop a

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

and will drop a

ooohh!!!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    It's just a freakin' publicity stunt/performance art piece.

This is part of what makes it so darn reprehensibly racist, silly head!

-e

i heard the harajuku girls are all fluent in english but are contractually bound to never speaka engrish when in the company of gwen.

silly headz know the deal!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

i heard the harajuku girls are all fluent in english but are contractually bound to never speaka engrish when in the company of gwen.

I'm surprised they're not contractually bound to refrain from driving.

-e

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    emynd
    Are you the dude who runs "so many shrimp"?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    emynd
    Are you the dude who runs "so many shrimp"?

Um, yeah. I mean, I don't "run" it but I post there along with dave, serg, and icarus.

I feel like I'm about to get called out for something.

-e

I'm surprised their feet aren't bound to make them seem more "ethnic"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I'm surprised their feet aren't bound to make them seem more "ethnic"

I'm just disturbed that her infatuation with Japanese women surpasses my own.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

DO THE FANDANGO!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Wow.

GAME OVER.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Oh look! Is that cashress? He real hottie!

We ruv you cashress!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Oh look! Is that cashress? He real hottie!

We ruv you cashress!

Thanks for taking me back to 1999.

More like right about now...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    terd

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

he he. dude, this is the hot shit in harajuku right now...

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

locally there are a few local-ish tracks hitting big in baltimore/DC:

Lil' Mo - Them Boys
    uses the junkyard band break, sounds like beyonce lite to me but the beat is still catchy. lyrics are silly though--if it's all about them boys who can spend it, how are you not a golddigger? EPMD needs to weigh in...

correction. they used the bar kays "holy ghost" break about 3 months after i relased my joint.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

locally there are a few local-ish tracks hitting big in baltimore/DC:

Lil' Mo - Them Boys
    uses the junkyard band break, sounds like beyonce lite to me but the beat is still catchy. lyrics are silly though--if it's all about them boys who can spend it, how are you not a golddigger? EPMD needs to weigh in...

correction. they used the bar kays "holy ghost" break about 3 months after i relased my joint.

ahhh--my mistake...i'm tripping. damn i need to pick up that holy brown joint

• slushslush 691 Posts
    aint nobody saying 'lose control'??

on&on is nice but lose control got that 'sweating like big gulps on a hot day' vibe

dear summer too. thats like textbook summer jam