05 Summer Jam(s)

Comments

• Not your typical summer jam, but I can feel it in the air should get some serious windows-down 3am car play, waking the neighborhood or rocking them to sleep.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    holla back girl dont get no play in the hood son

i disagree. that's a big song in hip-hop clubs (at least in NY) and it gets a lot of play on mixshows.

I've heard it on Hot97, but I assumed it had something to do with Emmis. I'm not entirely convinced headz are nodding and whispering "that's my shit" along with Gwen.

t**YA do I count as a head because this shit is definitely bananas ans shit ooh that's my shit that's my Schnip

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i been hearing all the sisters on long beach transit singin" "holla back" and "rich girl" stein. . .

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    holla back girl dont get no play in the hood son

i disagree. that's a big song in hip-hop clubs (at least in NY) and it gets a lot of play on mixshows.

I've heard it on Hot97, but I assumed it had something to do with Emmis. I'm not entirely convinced headz are nodding and whispering "that's my shit" along with Gwen.

t**YA do I count as a head because this shit is definitely bananas ans shit ooh that's my shit that's my Schnip

Scnipper, man, that record is so obnoxious.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This is hardly a worldwide hood barometer, but my boy who teaches at an all boys reform school in North Philly tells me all his gully ass students (who were kicked out of public school for various offenses: bringing guns to school, fighting teachers, etc) love the fuck out of the beat. And, to echo urrs, shit gets run in the hip-hop clubs out here (philly), too. I do get the feeling that it is indeed a succesful crossover track.

By the way, when did "crossover" come to mean "crossing over to the urban audience"? I always thought it was the other way around? Or has it always gone both ways (no homo) and I haven't noticed it?

Anyway, I fucking hate Gwen Stefani, but that beat is really too fucking hard to do anything but like that song.

-e

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

By the way, when did "crossover" come to mean "crossing over to the urban audience"? I always thought it was the other way around? Or has it always gone both ways (no homo) and I haven't noticed it?

Anyway, I fucking hate Gwen Stefani, but that beat is really too fucking hard to do anything but like that song.

-e

yeah, i basically retracted my initial "crossover" remark...the sentiment (urban->mainstream) here is flipped from the traditional sentiment. then again, crossover has meant many things to many people--from the whitewashed aping of r&b groups in the 50s to rap/rock duets to non-threatening pop-rap.

this could be considered a reversal, although the gwen cut probably wasn't written as a means to "tap into" the urban audience per se--she just wanted to work with hot producers and had a decent budget and the Neptunes obliged. I think it's more a sign of the pop/rap cultural convergence than anything else, not a crossover. but i'd love to hear other people's opinions as well since i'm definitely oversimplifying things here.

i also think gwen's vocals are obnoxious as hell on this song.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

-e
    yeah, the beat knocks, but the chorus is trash! missy's gonna take the crown this summer. she's got two certified summer jams just waiting for the 'mainstream'to catch up to them.
    also, who knows what just blaze + saigon have for the summer.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    the gwen cut probably wasn't written as a means to "tap into" the urban audience per se

I'm not one to really start discussions about an artist's intentions, but I would disagree with this statement. In fact, I would probably argue that the whole reason she enlisted the producers that she did (and worked with folks like Eve a couple years back) was a way to tap into the urban audience. Which isn't to say she's not genuinely into the music or anything... but still. What's remarkable about it is that it actually kinda worked... which almost never happens. But, I guess it's been happening slightly more frequently lately (i.e. Justin Timberlake with the Neptunes and Timbaland, etc). I suppose there's something interesting to be said about issues of "authenticity" (cultural and artistic) for succesful "crossing over" (both ways), but I dislike stupid Gwen Stefani to give it much thought.

That "bananas" part is hands down some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard in my life.

-e

the gwen cut probably wasn't written as a means to "tap into" the urban audience per se

I'm not one to really start discussions about an artist's intentions, but I would disagree with this statement. In fact, I would probably argue that the whole reason she enlisted the producers that she did (and worked with folks like Eve a couple years back) was a way to tap into the urban audience. Which isn't to say she's not genuinely into the music or anything... but still. What's remarkable about it is that it actually kinda worked... which almost never happens. But, I guess it's been happening slightly more frequently lately (i.e. Justin Timberlake with the Neptunes and Timbaland, etc). I suppose there's something interesting to be said about issues of "authenticity" (cultural and artistic) for succesful "crossing over" (both ways), but I dislike stupid Gwen Stefani to give it much thought.

That "bananas" part is hands down some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard in my life.

-e

Good observations.

I just wanted to point out that unlike "Hollaback Girl," Justin Timberlake's album was actually really good. It pains me slightly to say this, but I thought it was the RnB album of the year in '02.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

It makes me a poptart to say this, but I thought it was the RnB album of the year in '02.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

It makes me a poptart to say this, but I thought it was the RnB album of the year in '02.

That was, of course, largely due to the production. But seriously, can you identify a better produced RnB record from that year?

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

That was, of course, largely due to the production. But seriously, can you identify a better produced RnB record from that year?

I think the point was more along the lines of it takes a poptart to have even listened to Justin's entire album.

I think the point was more along the lines of it takes a poptart to have even listened to Justin's entire album.

Yeah, yeah, yeah---thanks for clarifying; I don't even speak the same language as you poptarts.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    This is hardly a worldwide hood barometer

Uh, hello? What do you think SoulStrut is?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    but I dislike stupid Gwen Stefani to give it much thought.

Why do you dislike Gwen Stefani? She is not stupid. She is IMO a strong female and good role model as one of the most succesful artists out right now. Just 'cause she is blond and from Cali and wears make-up does not make her stupid. You are sounding a little sexist w/ this.

Why do you dislike Gwen Stefani? She is not stupid. She is IMO a strong female and good role model as one of the most succesful artists out right now. Just 'cause she is blond and from Cali and wears make-up does not make her stupid. You are sounding a little sexist w/ this.

Just to clarify: while that quote appears to be attributed to me, I'm not the one that posted it.

She does seem stupid, though.

Just to clarify: while that quote appears to be attributed to me, I'm not the one that posted it.

She does seem stupid, though.
    sorry not trying to atribute it to you.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Uh, do i need to take this post seriously?

Because I don't like Gwen Stefani (for reasons I never specified), I am suddenly sexist? Isn't it a bit more sexist for you to assume that I don't like her because she's "blond and from Cali and wears make-up."

Suffice it to say that I find her music to be stupid and, I suppose, for lack of a better word "inauthentic." I don't require "authenticity" for music to be any good (in fact, I rather like a lot of blatantly "inauthentic" music) and therefore don't much mind that she's a white girl appropriating "other" music(s). What I do mind is that she's a white girl appropriating "other" music(s) in a wholly uninteresting way (i.e. her absolutely awful rendition of "Rich Girl").

Her rather racist Asian fetishization in her clothing line LAMB is fucking dispicable, too.

She's a terd.

And she's really not as cute as the world makes her out to be.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    [sexism]And she's really not as cute as the world makes her out to be[/sexism]

terd

New addition to the SoulStrut lexicon?

Can we get a ruling from Reynaldo?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    terd

I am down with this.

Because I don't like Gwen Stefani (for reasons I never specified), I am suddenly sexist? Isn't it a bit more sexist for you to assume that I don't like her because she's "blond and from Cali and wears make-up."

Suffice it to say that I find her music to be stupid and, I suppose, for lack of a better word "inauthentic." I don't require "authenticity" for music to be any good (in fact, I rather like a lot of blatantly "inauthentic" music) and therefore don't much mind that she's a white girl appropriating "other" music(s). What I do mind is that she's a white girl appropriating "other" music(s) in a wholly uninteresting way (i.e. her absolutely awful rendition of "Rich Girl").
    Dude, I didn't say you were sexist I said "you are sounding a little sexist" that was just an invitation for you to explain why you think Gwen is "stupid"(one of the least descriptive words ever btw). I guess I don't feel like Gwen is "appropriating" anything, either autheniclly or in-authenticly. I thought "Rich Girl" was pretty good, I liked dre's beat and think overall it was a good pop song. I guess musicians are not allowed to cover reggae unless they are black huh? Keepin' that mind open. And "Holla Back Girl", I guess that is inauthentically apropriating marching band music and simple synth lines? And you really think the asian entourage is racist? I think it's just capitalizng on the Kill Bill thing, but maybe that is racist to you too? Maybe us white folks should all stick to appalatian folk music and quilting but then we'd have to only do fiddle tunes b/c the banjo is of African origin. Sorry to be venting and ranting but I'm getting really sick of people judging art as good or bad based on wheter or not it "appropriates" elements from other cultures.

• terd

sorry for my rant up there. I guess I should just go back to not giving a shit about things. Later

Daniel I know you only hate Gwen because you don't like fun.

Also, I like when we have conversations about authenticity and identity!

I am more fun than your dour little mind can even conceive of, terd!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    terd

I am down with this.
    Huge cosign.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Dorphlit!

My mind is very creative and right now it pictures you in a room with overweight and/or absurdly hairy men listening to Bizzy Bone and going "that's real" while I chill with Gwen Stefani in an adjacent room and eat candy and spell names of fruit. We will also be wearing comfortable shoes while you are dressed in business attire

PS Have you heard that Ciara song I mentioned before? Hotline - go download it