05 Summer Jam(s)

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Okay, it's almost June--are any early favorites emerging? I can't call it...And nobody come in here talking about Quasimoto or some sh!t... that is not what we are talking about when we talk about Summer Jams.

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    In the Bay--and only in the Bay--it's gotta be Keak Da Sneak - SuperHyphy.

On a national level (which I'm guessing is what you're really asking), I can't call it, either. I'd love to see something produced by Jazze Pha fill the slot--either the new Slim Thug "Incredible Feelin'" or maybe T.I. "Get Loose." Both have a nice summer vibe to me, although at divergent BPMs.

Anyone else?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    alls i know is lisa lisa and stacey q will be performing for free down here in losu this summer while i be coppering my tan on you biznarchezzzzz!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    so iCY?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    so iCY?

B, did you like that song? I think it's WACK!!!!!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    so iCY?

I don't know. I'm certainly not hearing it up here, and it's been out for quite awhile down south... maybe Gucci Mane's current notoriety will lead to a resurgence.

I know I hate that I'm missing ATL's uptight evening newscasters being forced to wrap their mouths around the word "Mane"...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Papoose "Charades"

Seriously, I like:

Missy feat. Ciara "Lose Control"

The Game "Dreams"

Joe Budden feat. Nate Dogg "Gangsta Party"

But the summer jam of 2005 will probably be something lame and formulaic like that Fat Joe/Nelly "Get it Poppin'" song or Rihanna's "Pon de Replay."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Missy feat. Ciara "Lose Control"
    The Game "Dreams"
    Joe Budden feat. Nate Dogg "Gangsta Party"

These are some suspect picks.

I like the Ciara/Ludacris joint... and some of the new Missy cuts seem like likely candidates, but none of them have made it into rotation yet.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

I know I hate that I'm missing ATL's uptight evening newscasters being forced to wrap their mouths around the word "Mane"...

i picture them pronouncing it like a horse's mane.

and this fills me with joy.

lose control has people going wild in the club. Mabye when the video comes out it will really blow.

I like the Ciara/Ludacris joint...

Are you talking about "Oh?" That song hit mainstream radio back in March, old man...

so iCY?

B, did you like that song? I think it's WACK!!!!!!!

Im a young jeezy fan.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    lose control has people going wild in the club. Mabye when the video comes out it will really blow.

Definitely a sure shot... she'll probably have another hit late Summer as well...

Usually I'd have a good idea what some of the jams would be at this point, but most of the ones I can think of are too old or don't have an anthemic part that EVERYBODY can latch on to

Surely T.I., Mike Jones, and Paul Wall will be in there though... Fat Joe, R Kelly...

Paul Wall

I'm not so sure about this...I think they're going to release "Sittin' Sideways" as the next single. Not a summer jam.

Paul Wall

I'm not so sure about this...I think they're going to release "Sittin' Sideways" as the next single. Not a summer jam.

It was released a while ago as a single, I lumped into the "not anthemic enough" category... though I wish it could be a hit

I'm sure they've got something more accessible on the way from him

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Ying Yang Twins wait? Yeah I know it's been out but that shit is still gaining momentum and the video is only like 2 weeks old (?).

Does anyone know what albums are dropping during the summer?

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

it seems like any song getting major airplay these days surfaced back in March at the latest...think bobby valentino and ciara and faith and amerie and destiny's child and fantasia and TI and ludacris. not saying they won't have summer hits, but the current playlist can't sustain.

locally there are a few local-ish tracks hitting big in baltimore/DC:

Lil' Mo - Them Boys
    uses the junkyard band break, sounds like beyonce lite to me but the beat is still catchy. lyrics are silly though--if it's all about them boys who can spend it, how are you not a golddigger? EPMD needs to weigh in...

Paula Campbell - Caught Up
    smooth local R&B with a corny hook. if this ran the city i wouldn't be too dissappointed.

philly radio was playing the hell out of Redman's new cut "Gillahouse Check" this weekend--caught that twice on the drive up to the record fair. i like the track a lot, but from the looks of it it'll probably end going nowhere fast.

not that i want to stir up a "radio spins = certified summer jam" argument, but i like checking out mediabase's free weekly playlists--chances are your market/format is represented:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/rronline/StationsMenu.asp

it's interesting to see the Radio One/CC playlist correlations across markets as well as multiple-station inconsistencies in larger cities.

Missy's new cuts are in the running for sure but yeah, i can't call it.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I hope that Hotline by Ciara is released as a single. It's produced by Shondrae "Bangladesh" Crawford, and he has that husky "Bangladesh" whisper at the beginning of all his tracks that I think would sound nice coming out of cars.

Ying Yang Twins wait? Yeah I know it's been out but that shit is still gaining momentum and the video is only like 2 weeks old (?).

Hasn't that already been superceded by the NEW new Ying YAng?

Anyway, its too old, isn't it?

not saying they won't have summer hits, but the current playlist can't sustain.

Last year's jams were tracks that had started getting play loooooooong before Summer hit. The lagtime between release and hit status seems awfully stretched out these days.

Lil' Mo - Them Boys

Mo's album is gonna be on Cash Money - could be interesting

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Webbie & Bun B - Gimmie That

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I'm all soul jazz lately so ,mine it would be

Summer Breeze, a song out of '"75"

Could be a contender - relentlessly catchy and its been simmering towards the surface for some time... I guess it doesn't even matter how offensive it is...

Whats up with the album being withdrawn and rereleased by a major? Is it the same record?

Webbie needs a haircut in order to achieve true crossover success.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Im a young jeezy fan.

Too old bruh. Definitely losing momentum.

I sholl wish "Isa Playa" gets some late-in-the-game-love like Still tippin' did and gets posted up as a late summer jam?

• What about "fandango" by Quick and B-Real?

Dress

Too old bruh. Definitely losing momentum.

I'm sure its old to yawl down there but for the rest of the country it just started picking up steam...

I sholl wish "Isa Playa" gets some late-in-the-game-love like Still tippin' did and gets posted up as a late summer jam?

That shit is truly MY SHIT but there's simply no way... thats more on some old head pimp funk shit than anything you'd hear in the club or on the jamz station, at least in this state...

That shit is truly MY SHIT but there's simply no way... thats more on some old head pimp funk shit than anything you'd hear in the club or on the jamz station, at least in this state...

True.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'ma go with the Missy and Pharrel "On and On" shit. That shit ain't really hittin' yet, but I'm pretty got damn sure it will.

-e