urban pet peeves

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    people who break out the fuckin parasol when it rains

thats like getting mad at people who wear overcoats when its cold. what they supposed to do, stay wet?

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    people who are working for charities and get paid on commission. the ones who stand outside my office building and don't let me walk by without a daily "hey man, can i talk to you for a second."

Oof I hate these motherfuckers.

There are some right on michigan ave. every day in red shirts and the worst part is when you say 'no' they start laying in this guilt trip on you, like i don't know that they're glorified fucking beggars.

can't be worse then the peeps who sell comedy tickets. They catch you with "hey do you like to laugh". wtf. they have a retort for any answer you give them.

• people who break out the fuckin parasol when it rains

thats like getting mad at people who wear overcoats when its cold. what they supposed to do, stay wet?

nah nah i'm talking about the 6 foot wide beach umbrella on a crowded nyc sidewalk
    shit is treacherous

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Panhandlers yelling after me once I've already passed that they need to talk to me. Let me get this straight--you want me to turn around and walk back to where you are so you can ask me for money? If you're going to hit me up, you need to at least keep pace with me.

Matter of fact anybody I don't know that "needs to talk to me" or "just wants to ask me a question". If you want money, just ask for it and I'll consider giving it to you. But if you insult my intelligence with such a blatant effort to waste my time, it's not happening.

I'm not above giving a panhandler a dollar or two, but I hate it when they have to tell me their life story along with that. This has happened a couple of times -I'll be walking super-fast, trying to get someplace on time, and those guys will choose that moment to hit me up with a long rap. When I keep hoofing it, they look at me like I'M the one with the problem. Hey, I'm not trying to disrespect you, but I got someplace to be! You got a story? Tell your story walking, in rhythm with me, 'cause I'm not gonna stand still to hear it!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    people who break out the fuckin parasol when it rains

nah nah i'm talking about the 6 foot wide beach umbrella on a crowded nyc sidewalk
    shit is treacherous

Women--and it is always women--that stop halfway down the subway steps to fold up their umbrella, holding everyone else up. Especially annoying on days when you don't have an umbrella.

Some woman I overheard on the subway today telling her friends that getting a tattoo was less about "a beautiful piece of body art" than about "the experience and the endorphin rush."

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Did you just recently stop medication or something?

That's such a primary school come back, My name isn't mylatency.

Naw, I have no complaints, I'll happily give a dollar to someone who needs or doesn't need it. Those charity people are annoying as fuck, but they're doing something that (almost) means something.

One thing I have noticed about most homeless people or people who have mental illness and live in some kind of government housing is they are usually the ones who won't ask you for anything, you can even off them a cigerette, they'll kindly say thanks and no thanks, and then proceed to continue picking every single butt off the road so they can roll one with the 20 or so butts they collect.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    hahaha great stuff in this thread aswell! Cosign on many things said..

Some stuff i hate:

people at work who always have to talk about what i'm eating and don't understand when you just want to read a paper and chill if they pass me on lunch, stop with that...

people in general at post offices/banks, i mean why is it that everyone before me is taking like 5 minutes with their shit and the stuff i'm doing is always taking like 1 minute... i don't understand it..

street vendors/beggars/street musiscians who are trying to make me feel guilty about not buying/paying for their shit, i mean if i don't feel guilty for not buying stuff when i'm acctually looking for it why should i feel bad for not buying something that i don't want and that was forced upon me? Fuck that..

People who knows you love music and wants to talk musci with you even though they know nothing of it and gets offended when you don't like their Ronan Keating crap and boring-ass Radiohead ripoff crap..

See comments in the "cellphones in theatres"-thread...

Youngsters who think they are "soooo subcultre" and got their little punk get-up on them and think they got all these opinions and are sooo enlightened but are really just as bought and commercial as everybody else, i mean everything is just market, profit and strategy these days, the only subculture is to be yourself and dress as you like...

peas
    L

• my pet peeve: dudes who were herbs in their early 20s when everyone was partying and hanging out and getting into shit, linking up with other herbs from that same era only 8 years later, all becoming trendy DJs and at 30 years of age running around like 22 year olds throwing parties populated strictly by their ex-herbish friends, acting tough and trying to relive the years that they were herbs and never had no props, no friends, no chicks, or no life.

GUESS WHAT FOLKS YOU'RE STILL HERBS. JUST OLDER.

Jonny......not that I'm any kind of Marketing genius or anything....but doesn't that describe at least some percentage of your customers???

As retribution you should run an "Old Herb 4% Off Sale"

No way... they are way to cool to buy old records. They might stop in, flip through three or four titles, then get a call on their sidekick and run out, but the folks I am talking about shop elsewhere.

My customers are (for the most part) awesome. Yesterday was totally rad - my customers ranged from a middle-aged gay couple who are old Loft heads that shop for disco raers together to a jolly Japanese dealer to Dante Carfagna.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    "Whenever I need to leave it all behind
    Or feel the need to get away
    I find a quiet place, far from the human race
    Out in the country
    Before the breathin' air is gone
    Before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime
    Out where the rivers like to run
    I stand alone and take back somethin' worth rememberin'
    Whenever I feel them closing in on me
    Or need a bit of room to move
    When life becomes too fast, I find relief at last
    Out in the country"

oh, yeah, x-urbanites who are all smug & shit
    about how nice it is out in the stix
    where none of these peeves even matter

(i'll be back up for the 8/15 night owl style sale)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    crusty punk squeegie kids with their tatooed faces and stinky dogs

homeless people who litter... its one thing to sleep on the street but you cant get off your subway grill for 30 seconds and walk to the corner to put your trash in the can?

parents who litter with their kids garbage

useless cops - dood there is a crack whore dancing in the street, drunk people harassing people walking by, litter EVERYWHERE, people doing illegal u turns, and you are just chillin on your bike drinking tim hortons making your presence felt??

boored youth - bunch of kids walking down my street last night making a ruckus.. decided to light a pile of branches somebody left out for trash on fire at 2am... 20foot blaze and 1/2 an hour of sirens and firetrucks in front of my house... bitches i got to WORK tomorrow!!!!

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    People who blow their car horns to get you to accelerate faster when the light has just turned green.

People who make illegal u turns that cant make the turn in one lock of the steering,that ends up in creating a backup of traffic,this is the reason it's illegal bumbofuckin'rassclaat ediaat unuh!!![/b]

Be it city, suburb or any paved road both these things are annoying as hell. Growing up my dad would use that horn like thirsty people use water.

Straight up a car horn is not a taskmaster whip shit ain't really designed to make you move faster

Interesting.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Oh damn so on point, urban bike culture is insufferable...dudes who show up to parties looking scruffy with their jeans rolled up wearing messenger bags and ranger caps, gtfoohwtbs. I don't care how practical it is, you look like a hipster doofus.

Someone should make a graemlin of kramer saying 'hipster doofus.'

don't fuck with bike messengers.

fuck with people who cop the look who aren't messengers.

thank you.

that is all.

i totally endorse the female version of this style.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    This one hasn't been hit on yet and really, for me it goes for any place but the open highway.

BIKERS.

You're sitting there having lunch at a nice spot with your lady, sipping a beer, and talking about how nice it is to be able to relax even though you only get one day off a week and....BRRRRRRRRRGRRGRGRGRRGRGGEJHDJHDHFFGEGEG!!!!!!!!!!

4 bikers floor it down the street stopping everyone from doing what they are doing because the noise is so god awful.

That shit sets me off. You have a small dick or got beat up when you were younger great, now you have to show the world how loud you can be on a machine that you didnt even make?

Bikers (obviously not all, i have met some very nice, sincere, and cool bikers) are like anyone else, they buy their personality and don't have to do anything but act like everyone else. Greasey fanboys and fanmen, nothing more nothing less.

And i'm talking Harleys too, young guy fast bikes, whatever you're being young and dumb, thats part of growing up. But grown men thinking its cool or funny to disturb everyone around them is just ignorant. i have kicked many bikers out of the bar i work at and its always over stuff that could be resolved easily.

"Excuse me, could you please move your bike over where the rest of the vehicles are parked."

'You got a problem with bikes?'

"I've got a problem with anything that blocks the entrance to the restaraunt, and if its a bike, yes."

Anyway, i'm mad doggie. These clowns wake me up on saturday mornings at the corner beneath my windows.

• Anyway, i'm mad doggie. These clowns wake me up on saturday mornings at the corner beneath my windows.

Add to the 'bikes of all stripes,' fools racing littletoy mini-bikes up and down the street at all hours of the night. I hope a bus hits you.

Oh damn so on point, urban bike culture is insufferable...dudes who show up to parties looking scruffy with their jeans rolled up wearing messenger bags and ranger caps, gtfoohwtbs. I don't care how practical it is, you look like a hipster doofus.

thank you.

that is all.

i beg to differ. my mailman performs the same function as bike messengers, albeit more efficiently, yet he doesnt feel the need to "send a message" with the shit he wears. get these dudes a blue uniform and a reality check. your part of the system if your delivering packages to BUSINESSES. take that hipster shit to urban outfitters where they appreciate it.

Um, your mailman isn't riding a bike.

Rolled up pants have a function, as does the bag and most
    gear that couriers wear. I was a courier for years, had what
    I'm sure you all consider this trendy "look," yet, what do you
    know, pretty much my entire outfit was based on function - putting
    in 300 miles a week on a bicycle in urban traffic.

There were some dudes/girls who were definitely clowns and hung up
    on some kind of fashion, but just like most things in life, "real
    headz know the deal" and look that way for a reason.

I don't understand the deal with rugged ass, "I ride 300 miles a week in urban traffic, bro" Great! Are you fronting or are you complaining? If it sucks that much then do something else. If you are capable of conjuring up the 3rd hand image/fantasy of being some cornball bike messenger then I am sure you'll qualify to something else. But dudes walk around all "Bro, traffic was all thick today, and I put my life on the line everyday n' shit, but that's just a urban way of a being a bike messenger man. you have to be hard to hang"
    Come on, you ride a bike around all day. I mean window washers who hang off the side of 50 story buildings don't run around acting all hard, adopting some fake ass wanna be hard persona. Who gives a shit?

GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

I'm asuming you're not serious. But anyways...

Fuckers who complain about gentrification are usually twenty something hipster crackers from McSprawlville by way of Nowhere.

Gentrification is so terrible. It's a fucking tragedy when blighted boarded-up crack houses get renovated. Or when home owners actually see appreciation in their property values.

You miss the good ol' days when entire blocks were empty but for a few hookers, dealers, packs of feral dogs and garbage tumbling around...even though you grew up in a gated golf community. Nah really, you just hate that rent keeps going up and that fine arts degree only landed you a bike messenger job.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

Fuckers who complain about gentrification are usually twenty something hipster crackers from McSprawlville by way of Nowhere.

Gentrification is so terrible. It's a fucking tragedy when blighted boarded-up crack houses get renovated. Or when home owners actually see appreciation in their property values.

You miss the good ol' days when entire blocks were empty but for a few hookers, dealers, packs of feral dogs and garbage tumbling around...even though you grew up in a gated golf community. Nah really, you just hate that rent keeps going up and that fine arts degree only landed you a bike messenger job.

Thats some lazy ass thinking dude. Gentrification sucks for a reason, and yeah lots of fauxhemians get all bent out of shape about it but it is a problem. Don't give me this "yeah sure sucks when the crime goes down lol!" sarcasm because you know that ain't what it about. If you think gentrification is turning poor people into happy homeowners you are tripping.

thank you.

that is all.

i beg to differ. my mailman performs the same function as bike messengers, albeit more efficiently, yet he doesnt feel the need to "send a message" with the shit he wears. get these dudes a blue uniform and a reality check. your part of the system if your delivering packages to BUSINESSES. take that hipster shit to urban outfitters where they appreciate it.

I don't understand the deal with rugged ass, "I ride 300 miles a week in urban traffic, bro" Great! Are you fronting or are you complaining? If it sucks that much then do something else. If you are capable of conjuring up the 3rd hand image/fantasy of being some cornball bike messenger then I am sure you'll qualify to something else. But dudes walk around all "Bro, traffic was all thick today, and I put my life on the line everyday n' shit, but that's just a urban way of a being a bike messenger man. you have to be hard to hang"
    Come on, you ride a bike around all day. I mean window washers who hang off the side of 50 story buildings don't run around acting all hard, adopting some fake ass wanna be hard persona. Who gives a shit?

You sound ass-hurt.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    -girls with no ass walking in front of me...get an ass so i can stare at it

-the homeless guy on the train who feels the need to show you whats wrong with his legs. yea we get the point. you shot so much dope in there its infected. no one will give you money so give it up

-$13 turkey sandwiches

-BAPE retail store? might as well just throw wet multi colored paint on the floor, give a pair of white AF1s to every one who enters and let em jump around in the paint. then charge them $200 for the pair.

-people asking for a "swipe" at the turnstiles

-loud and obnoxious school kids in delis who yell at the workers to put more mayo on their "shit" and complain when a 2 liter of grape soda is $2.00. i dont know where you buy 2 liters, but since when is $2 too expensive for one?

People holding up the line at the deli counter at the grocery store by ordering sandwiches, as if there aren't a million other places to get a sandwich.

GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

Ha Ha. So true.

Gentrification has done wonders for some neigborhoods. I mean if I had to choose between people who want to take care of their neighboorhood and property vs. dysfunctional, alcholic crackheads, who don't give a shit about themselves or their surroundings. I'll take the people who care. (And it's not a race thing either.)

• GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

Thats some lazy ass thinking dude. Gentrification sucks for a reason, and yeah lots of fauxhemians get all bent out of shape about it but it is a problem. Don't give me this "yeah sure sucks when the crime goes down lol!" sarcasm because you know that ain't what it about. If you think gentrification is turning poor people into happy homeowners you are tripping.

My new neighborhood has been gentrified and the only folks who remain - on account a' laws that prevent housing projects from being bought or demolished - continue to piss in doorways, throw trash in the street, have knife fights over baby mamas/daddies, drink and gamble until daylight, allow their children to hang on the block all day instead of going to school, front on applying for service jobs in any of the new businesses, or get fired within weeks for employee theft.

Gentrification is a doozie but there's plenty of blame to go around.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i know a girl from Brooklyn who gets mad when "they" move into "her?" neighboorhood

last time i checked though, she didnt own the neighboorhood, nor does she pay rent

off topic?

who cares

retardedddd

thank you.

that is all.

You sound ass-hurt.

???

GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

You don't know shit. Nothing.

What's it about fucker? Huh?

Black people who hate whites?

Losers who hate those who work hard and moved up?

Fucking bleeding heart bitch. Do you work for HUD? No, better question...do you own property?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GENTRIFICATION
    MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

You don't know shit. Nothing.

What's it about fucker? Huh?
    Black people who hate whites?
    Losers who hate those who work hard and moved up?
    Fucking bleeding heart bitch. Do you work for HUD? No, better question...do you own property?

I find nothing wrong w/ Gentrification. But when u look a how cultureless SOHO is I cant co-sign %100.
    My hood is next and I'm all for it. I dont imagine Abercrombie & Fitch in the South Bronx..............yet.
    Sometimes the scrubbing away can turn a hood into anytown usa. The right mix of folks is essential.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'bleeding heart bitch' are you serious?
    What the fuck do you know about urban development dude?

I'm not blaming any individuals for gentrification.
    I'm saying gentrification is not a positive process. Neither is CRIME which I also listed in this thread. I'm talking about I grew up living in apartments and my mom lived paycheck to paycheck paying rent, and her rent is shooting up because some folks decided now was a good time to build condos. Do I blame them? No. I've done research on this, white flight (and a corresponding shrinking tax base) were going on in my hood for the last 30 years, and someone saw it happening and wanted to stop shit from turning my neighborhood into a sinkhole of poverty. But I know that a bunch of condo dwellers are not a perfect answer. My friend's mom owns a house in the area where ten years ago he would hear shots fired every other night, and in the last three years the value of his mom's place has tripled as crime has dropped. In this case, crime dropped before the condos but it paved the way for them, paved the way for rising housing values.

Which is good in the short term - money in his family's pocket - but in the long term yr talking about sacrificing the integrety, diversity and nature of the neighborhood. You're talking about the end results of gentrification, which is moving people who don't have discretionary income (i.e. families, renters) to the outskirts of the city as property values rise closer to downtown, knocking down inner city projects (robert taylor homes are almost entirely gone, cabrini is halfway, etc) and shunting people who don't qualify for mixed income (a lot of people) to the outer reaches of the city and the inner ring suburbs. It turns an inelastic city into a Mexico City-style metropolis, with slums ringing the area - see no evil hear no evil.

OK some of this is debateable and I wasn't an urban studies major or anything but from personal experience, personal observation (ever been to Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville? Who shops at Bucktown boutiques? Why is west division st. past cabrini full of so many overpriced restaurants? 9 dollar pulled pork sandwhich, wtf?) and the cursory research I've done.

Sure lots of cornballs rail against gentrification and don't know what they're talking about but gentrification does not = 'improvement' - it fundamentally changes the neighborhoods in which it occurs. Sure some good things happen as a result of gentrification, (improved city services, assuming the neighborhood doesnt get too conservative too fast) but to act like its a wholly positive process is the definition of

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Also, WTF @ assuming property owners have the only legitimate opinion on gentrification?!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    GENTRIFICATION

MINORITIES
    VICE MAG-STYLE "IRONY"

I have a friend who exemplifies this. Grew up in a nice house, nice stable family but totally does the hobo, I hate gentrification, I don't bathe because it's cool, I only eat at hole-in-the-wall places, etc. He totally co-opted some counter culture lifestyle and then has the balls to call people hipsters.