Raer Mixtapes

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    can't wait.

here's a few more before i catch some sleep. shit, i gotta be up at 0400 for work. this thread has me fucking up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    holy shitballs!! FUCK!! i'd pay you for your time to dub a few of these up at your leisure, noz. seriously...wow.

fuck that, lets trade.

unless you want that green lantern tape, which just fell apart in my deck

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    DUDE I SKEETED IN PANTALONES!

I was a huge mixtape trader back in the late 90's so this is pretty much how I was living in those days. Dude I really wish I got the o.g. copies of these tapes/saved 'em

anyways when I went to Japan, This store called "Vinyl 7" had a nice little hip-hop tape box.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Okay folls, time to get next level with the Muro joints! 3 hour mixtapes in custom two tape cases:

Super Funk Breaks 1&2 and Super Samba Breaks:

• Chan - What are on those other, non-red WKOD tapes? Are those different Kohji/Muro faceoffs, or are they just alt covers?

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Man you motherfuckers know how to make someone envious. I need to step my mixtape game up already. A good mixtape puts me in the right mood

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Chan - What are on those other, non-red WKOD tapes? Are those different Kohji/Muro faceoffs, or are they just alt covers?

The blue WKOD is "The golden era of disco" A side Muro and the B side is DJ Dimitri from Paris. This was retitled "Super disco friends" and released on double CD in the UK.

The black WKOD is "The new era of breakbeats" A side Muro and the B side is Paul Nice. Paul re-titled this "From Narita to JFK" and released it as a double CD.

Muro has a whole WKOD series of mixtapes where there is a theme or genre and he does one half and a guest DJ does the other half.

Muro still releases ALL his mixtapes on TAPE. He loves cassette tapes. He has only released a few mix joints on CD. Here are a few:

"20 Street Years" CD - Latest studio album
    "20 Street Years" Instrumentals mix CD
    "Now and Then in Search of Disco Breaks" Promo only old school disco/hip-hop mix CD.
    "North Face 2005 summer" promo mix CD
    "Super Disco Breaks" mix CD. Released by Universal in Japan.
    "Diggin' Ice" mix CD. Released by Universal in Japan.

• had no idea people collected mixtaps...found these in the gargae

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    OH...SHIT...

• Various mixtapes and cassette-only releases:

Cassette tapes of radio shows I have done from 1993 to the present. I only got disciplined about recording them from about 2000 on, so 350+ of them cover that time frame.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    cotdamn i need them premo crooklyn cuts ...
    i notice evil dee mixtapes are also somehow
    oh and here is the wild pitch mix
    hxxp://wxw.megaupload.com/?d=E8C535J0 just modify the url ..gotta look out for them link crawlers

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    JEEBUS this thread is taking me back. Gotta get ahold of a digicam, por favor believe I got some shit too!

My favorite mixtape to this day - which I lent to an old friend and never saw again, was

Shortkut - Reconstrukted Elements

sooooo ill...

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i got the shortkut on my pc.. should i upp it for you?

• SureshotSureshot 134 Posts

2. DJ Buckwild-#19-where Lord Finesse disses Mr. Funky Man and Snaggle Puss destroys the mic afterwards.

Is the Lord Finesse dis live? Never heard the Buckwild tape, but I wonder if he pulled it from the "Rocksteady Anniversary Jam - Vol. 2" LP... That shit is BONKERS!!!

• The shit is def. live cause you hear the crowd..plus, I was at that Rock Steady that year. Also Lord Tariq and Snaggle Puss ripped shit that day.
    peace,
    amir

• Oh yeah, I bought that Buckwild tape in like 93 or 94..when did the rock steady ann. jam vol.2 Lp come out??
    amir

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    all I have to say to this thread is WOW. wait FUCKIN AMAZING. I really took my early mix tapes for granted. dubbed over most them. junked, etc.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    enki, what is that exile tape? is that the one with the 1st half of emanon joints and the 2nd half a big'ol mix or something else?

It's a mix he did for Subculture magazine, which I was writing for at the time. It's a pretty wide array 1998ish indie/underground stuff...pretty solid.

As for Mixmaster D...that dude's tapes were my bible in NC. As soon as I got to town, I hit up the local hip-hop jernt and asked for the dope local mixtapes. The dude at the store (who I think was Fly Eli, also shouted out in "Droppin' It") asked what kind of style I wanted--blends, cutting, hip-hop--and when I said I wanted all of the above, he steered me to Mixmaster D, and it was over. I was in that store constantly: "Is there a new D tape yet?" Loved 'em.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

that purple tape

there you go. those 1200 hobos joints...tapes, skills, techniques and evolution are .

i have an og tapes skills too. let me try and get a photo on here of my collection...i'm a fiend. this is a dope thread...!

anybody have any og coldcut mixtapes? i imagine those are drying up...

cas has some dope tapes, too. gotta up my rob one game i see...his mixes are some of my favorites.

we should get a trade going on...i need some of the ones yall posted.

• SureshotSureshot 134 Posts
    Oh yeah, I bought that Buckwild tape in like 93 or 94..when did the rock steady ann. jam vol.2 Lp come out??
    amir

There were 4 volumes of the Rocksteady Anniversary Jam (from what I can best tell, they came from the same year)... They were released in 1996, but the performances were definitely a few years old by that time... Finesse no longer had that chip on his shoulder with the whole "Mr. Funkyman" beef in '96... Mad Lion was on with KRS as well -- that alone puts it in the 93/94 timeframe... Lots of dope peformances on all of the volumes... Cold Crush doing some of their old routines was real nice...

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    i got the shortkut on my pc.. should i upp it for you?

YES!!!! PLEASE!!! Or pm and we can talk trades...

• Yo, here are some more dope mixtapes I just dug up from the collection.

1. DJ Baby G-Bomob Ass Tape #2

2. DJ Cash Money Vol.1

3. Rob Swift-Pure Moods

4.DJ Riz-In The Mix

5. DJ Daze-Hip-Hop From the Good Old Daze Vol.1

6.DJ Jazzy Jeff- The Vibe I'm On.

7.DJ Melo D-The Turn Table

8.Fat Beats Presents DJ Three (featuring early Fat Beats classics)

9.Shortkut-Rekonstrukted Elements

10. DJ Eclipse-Coffee Syrup

Peace,
    Amir

• Yo, here are some more dope mixtapes I just dug up from the collection.

4.DJ Riz-In The Mix

Peace,
    Amir

Yo, this is one of my favorites too! I dug it out last year and listened to it again and still sounded good. Too bad the actual tape doesn't sound good anymore. There was an AVEE joint from that era that I like a lot too.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

3. Rob Swift-Pure Moods

I got Soulful Fruit at the crib (Who got that schitt on vinyl??) Pure Moods is the joint with the Burgundy cover right?

Cas, why you didn't post any pics of your mixtape?

Sort of related but do any of y'all got any raer radio show's on cassette? Someone sent me a dub of In Control hosted by Marley Marl (circa 1989). Run DMC, EPMD and DJ Scratch was on the show with Marley.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

that purple tape

there you go. those 1200 hobos joints...tapes, skills, techniques and evolution are .

i have an og tapes skills too. let me try and get a photo on here of my collection...i'm a fiend. this is a dope thread...!

anybody have any og coldcut mixtapes? i imagine those are drying up...

cas has some dope tapes, too. gotta up my rob one game i see...his mixes are some of my favorites.

we should get a trade going on...i need some of the ones yall posted.

did your 1200 Hobos "tape skills & techniques" come with this really ill-ass graffitti sticker wrapy-thingamingabob? Mines did and it's probally one of the illest things ever.

• I got soulful fruit on Vinyl..the og shit from Nu Gruv Stones Throw days before Fat Beats. Also I wish I could post pics but I am not able to yet....i am surprised no one has said anything about the baby g mixtapes. I mean dude is a dj legend from Dallas and one of the first dmc winners from the eighties. Oh yeah, pure moods is def. wit the burgundy cover!!
    amir

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Sort of related but do any of y'all got any raer radio show's on cassette? Someone sent me a dub of In Control hosted by Marley Marl (circa 1989). Run DMC, EPMD and DJ Scratch was on the show with Marley.

I used to tape Red Alert's show religiously. Of course, I have none of those tapes anymore, which sucks, but I have the memories. Sigh....

I got soulful fruit on Vinyl..the og shit from Nu Gruv Stones Throw days before Fat Beats. Also I wish I could post pics but I am not able to yet....i am surprised no one has said anything about the baby g mixtapes. I mean dude is a dj legend from Dallas and one of the first dmc winners from the eighties. Oh yeah, pure moods is def. wit the burgundy cover!!
    amir
    The Nu Gruv one got the Stones Throw label right? I got to dig that shit up when I'm at the house.

Speaking of Baby G, I was watching his set from the 1990 DMC US finals and I must say, dude killed it! Body tricks were on point.

Pure Moods was my shit. The first time that I heard Ian Carr 'Roots' was on that mixtape.

• Yeah, the Nu Gruv shit has the stones throw label on it. I got to know Baby G from my days at Fat Beats..he was a buyer at a store in Dallas called Bill's Records and Tapes. He used to send me mad mixtapes that he did. An all around good cat!! You're right the body tricks were craze, and many don't know Q-Bert used to say that baby g was his real inspiration!
    amir

Yeah, the Nu Gruv shit has the stones throw label on it. I got to know Baby G from my days at Fat Beats..he was a buyer at a store in Dallas called Bill's Records and Tapes. He used to send me mad mixtapes that he did. An all around good cat!! You're right the body tricks were craze, and many don't know Q-Bert used to say that baby g was his real inspiration!
    amir

Thanks. When On Track Vol. 6 coming out?

Headz wanna know.