World Cup Bastards Speak Up!!! (Brits stand up!)

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    damn, our set piece formation is just wretched. Seriously needs to be worked on

It completely fell apart in the second half. First 45 minutes was their best WC performance so far, but they really struggled to impose themselves on the game in any meaningful way after the break. Joe Cole had a great game - the way he held the ball up while Gerrard made his run for the second goal was sublime. And as he probably won't get any credit anywhere else, I have to say Owen Hargreaves wasn't far behind him for England's man of the match imo - he worked hard all night, he was quick and clean in the tackle, and did a lot to break up the Swedish attacks in the first half. He couldn't get into the game as much later on because we were pressed back by the Swedes but, since it was the first full 90 minutes he's played for England in around four years, he justified his selection.

I'm a big Hargreaves fan and think he should always play alongside Gerrard, who's a phenom. But then again, I thought England went out of the last WC because there was no Macca to hold on to the lead against Brasil. I'll say it again: England can score a few goals but they don't know how to play the game of football.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and they are just getting warmed up.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    damn, our set piece formation is just wretched. Seriously needs to be worked on

It completely fell apart in the second half. First 45 minutes was their best WC performance so far, but they really struggled to impose themselves on the game in any meaningful way after the break. Joe Cole had a great game - the way he held the ball up while Gerrard made his run for the second goal was sublime. And as he probably won't get any credit anywhere else, I have to say Owen Hargreaves wasn't far behind him for England's man of the match imo - he worked hard all night, he was quick and clean in the tackle, and did a lot to break up the Swedish attacks in the first half. He couldn't get into the game as much later on because we were pressed back by the Swedes but, since it was the first full 90 minutes he's played for England in around four years, he justified his selection.

Yeah I thought the difference in the first half was that, due to the resting of Gerrard, we actually played with a proper formation and gameplan. As soon as the seond half started we went back to our previous form of just booting the ball upfield for Crouch to try and pick up. I'm not Hargreaves biggest fan but I think he did alright and if Sven had any sort of balls he shoudl seriously consider dropping lampard for the start of the next match.

I can't believe we still haven't beaten Sweden, means that the commentators get to roll out the highly tedious facts about it all over again at our next meet up.....

Also, with Owen out, I want Sven to finally admit to the public that taking Wolcott instead of Defoe was one of the most idiotic things he's ever done in his managerial career.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Last nights match was brilliant and 2-2 was definitly fair.
    Too bad our neighbours have to meet Germany in the next match - statistically the hosts always make it far.

Heja Sverige!!!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    and if Sven had any sort of balls he shoudl seriously consider dropping lampard for the start of the next match.

Lord, I've never agreed with anything more in my life.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Sven doesn't care - he's out like flared pants anyway. If I was the boss, I'd secretly let the players pick the starting 11. No complaints there. March into the dressing room, throw them a pen and paper, say "I'll be back in 10 minutes, lads. Sort it out." Then write about it in a book. Cash it in, and get $10 back [further digresses into Wu-Tang lyrics]

It's hard to pick a good formation when so many of the player's best positions overlap when playing for their country. They need to sort it out between them. I would not object to playing Rooney and Gerrard up front, with Lamps, Joe Cole, Becks and Hargreaves behind.

It was plain clown to take Walcott. The boy can play for sure, but I sense he's not come off the bench because they fear his inexperience will make him less effective. Either Defoe or Shaun Wright-Phillips would have been far better choices. But then, Walcott's dad hasn't slagged of Sven, has he?

I won't complain if we go out after the last 8. You have to be better than this to deserve a crack at the title.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    wow! portugal and mexico going at it! soccer is AWESOME! who else is drinking at 727a?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    wow! portugal and mexico going at it! soccer is AWESOME! who else is drinking at 727a?

Ahh... I can't wait for America to really get into football. If it was to become a 'real' national sport over there, games against your team would take on more interest. There's no real fun beating the US footie team, but I'm sure at the Olympics countries really want to beat the baketball players or baseball squad. Good natured sporting rivalry is what makes the World Cup the biggest event on the planet... of course, the drunken crowd violence is the bad side of it. So far, England fans haven't been too bad, and now Owen is out, Sven might have to make more adventurous choices, and we might have something to get excited about.

Yesterdays first half was great. England showed they can play.
    Rooney is somehow fit and healthy but short of matches.
    The useless waster Owen didn't have a shot on goal in either of his first two games if I remember correctly, and his selection in the team proved that Sven kow-tows to big names and reputation.
    Beckham should have been subbed at half-time - without Neville overlapping and Carragher sitting back to defend, Beckham's lack of pace was obvious and he proved no threat to Sweden.
    Everything for England was going down the left with Joe Cole and Ashley Cole linking up with Rooney or Crouch (who can do what Owen can't in dropping deep and linking up play with midfielders).
    Campbell, like Owen, has had a crap season and shouldn't have been in the squad. Carragher or Ledley King would have been better back-up.
    Dean Ashton should have done enough in the first half of the FA Cup Final while injured to prove to Sven that he's a better player than Michael Owen even when unfit. Defoe must be kicking himself right now, and how we could use him.
    The next serious injury that needs to happen to the England squad to improve our chances of winning the competition is to Sven. His tactics are always wrong, he makes the wrong substitutions and he probably cheered when Larsson got the equaliser. That last point is just being petty, but Sven is our achiles heel.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ledley king was injured, that's why he didn't make the squad. Otherwise he would've been in.

defoe would look mad decent in an england kit right aboot noooooo

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Ahh... I can't wait for America to really get into football. If it was to become a 'real' national sport over there, games against your team would take on more interest. There's no real fun beating the US footie team, but I'm sure at the Olympics countries really want to beat the baketball players or baseball squad. Good natured sporting rivalry is what makes the World Cup the biggest event on the planet... of course, the drunken crowd violence is the bad side of it. So far, England fans haven't been too bad, and now Owen is out, Sven might have to make more adventurous choices, and we might have something to get excited about.

LOL! Americans will NEVER really get into football on a massive national level. The U.S. is huge and people are already fixated on all of their favorite American sports teams. The NBA, NFL, MLB & NHL run shit here. Fools even call the tournaments "World Series" and the like. LOL! Many Americans really think that the United States is the whole world. Lots of Americans could not even locate the countries of famous world cup teams on a map! Most Americans could care less about a true international sports event. The only reason most Americans watch the olympics is to watch the American athletes. After the olympics and world cup football, Formula One racing is the largest spectator sport in the world. When I tell people I watch Formula One racing I usually have to explain what it is! LOL. People here have no clue! Americans would rather watch a bunch of rednecks drive in circles in wack U.S. factory sponsored teams. NASCAR! Nascar racing puts me to sleep and it is now one of the largest sports here in the U.S. Last time I checked, ALL Nascar drivers are from the U.S.

• Americans would rather watch a bunch of rednecks drive in circles in wack U.S. factory sponsored teams.

I like the bit on the home straight where the spectators see the approaching cars and go

"Wooooooooooooooooooooooo"

and then when they pass they go

"Hoooooooooooooooo"

Makes the "USA USA USA USA USA" chants seem really boring.

Drive fast turn left mofos!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Argentinia vs Holland was weaksauce, there was NO , I was expecting the teams to deliver some A+ football, but nooooooooooooooo.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Netherlands vs. Argentinia: weak game. sooooo boring.

What happened to the Dutch team? Trying to copy the traditional German style? Where's their useless aggresiveness? I used to like the Dutch team. They might win the cup this time, but they lost their attractiveness.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

What happened to the Dutch team? Trying to copy the traditional German style? Where's their useless aggresiveness? I used to like the Dutch team. They might win the cup this time, but they lost their attractiveness.

Yeah unfortunately the fact they had both qualified dampened the whole occasion too much. I was kinda hoping that some of the peripheral players may seize the opportunity to shine but it never really kicked off.

Argentina still look very good though, depth of their squad is very impressive and they're still probably the team to beat (though Spain are going up in my estimation every match they play)

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    Argentinia vs Holland was weaksauce, there was NO , I was expecting the teams to deliver some A+ football, but nooooooooooooooo.

Yup, this game was boring...

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    They might win the cup this time

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

I dunno man, they were both playing with a b-team and were pretty evenly matched up. Gotta give it up for Riquelme and Messi, those dudes were . The lack of goals was compensated by some great football.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    as an american who doesnt watch no soccer, i have to say that dutch v. argentina game was far from boring. in the 10 minutes that i watched, i saw 4 shots on goal.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I don't know why van basten didn't punish the argentinian b-team more. They had nothing to lose since 2nd place was guaranteed. I would've played a more aggressive formation to try and win first place.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

soccer can be so damn boring sometimes.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I don't know why van basten didn't punish the argentinian b-team more. They had nothing to lose since 2nd place was guaranteed. I would've played a more aggressive formation to try and win first place.

Co-sigh. I don't get playing to tie when Portugal awaits. Holland wil regret this. Messi and Tevez just toyed with dudes out there today. They are clearly the best team right now. Can Brasil summon some pace and intensity by bringing in Robinho earlier?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Can Brasil summon some pace and intensity by bringing in Robinho earlier?

not sure if you are being sarcastic, but i am dying to see robinho come in earlier. i know they need to play off the whole "ronaldo ain't fat" shit, but robinho just speeds up the whole tempo of the game. he's still plenty young and still has a while to grow, but i like the dude and wish he would get some more playing time.

that being said, the last games of this round have been really hampered by the cards and everyone putting in their b-skwad. Group D should be really fun to watch tomorrow though. Shame I will be working.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Is Ronaldo too busy scanning the crowd for someone with a spare pie, or is he genuinely too fat to be good any more?

I know I'd have him @ Manchester City, fat or not.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Is Ronaldo too busy scanning the crowd for someone with a spare pie, or is he genuinely too fat to be good any more?

I know I'd have him @ Manchester City, fat or not.

It's real obvious that Ronaldo just seems to lack the drive. He never comes back for the ball or works for it, he's content just waiting up front for a through ball to put in the back of the net. I'm sure he's still fully capable of scoring but all the standing around is not a good look for him. My prediction is that Robinho will replace him for both club and country within the year if not sooner.

it seems like fat, dumb & lazy boy should have thought twice about that NY Redbulls offer of $120 million for 7 seasons. He's got maybe 2 years TOPS left in the top flight leagues.

-B-

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Word on the street is that he wants to come to America when he weighs 250. So I say have at the schnitzel over in Deutschland, Herr Naz??rio de Lima.

Brasil is

Ronaldo scores a goal, Ronaldinho is looking good, great game!

DAAAAAAAAAAMN, Ronaldo is back!!!!!!!!!!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    oh snap! last 5 minutes of Australia - Croatia were total madness.... ref was

congrats to the ozzies!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Brasil is

I was laughing when Japan scored the first goal cuz I knew Brazil would storm back. I am afterall, Korean though...so....GO SOUTH KOREA!!!!!

but damn, those Brasilenos are dope as fuck. The whole team moves up to attack and shit. ILL.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Ghana and Australia made it to the 2nd round,
    Italy better watch out,if they thought the US had a lot of fight in them,they're gonna be up against it when they play Australia.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I doubt that Brazil will win the cup. They won, but they are not looking good. Very lazy players. Weak defense and no tactics. They won't make it to the finals like that.