Strut Profession Roll Call (Your Job Related)

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm an editor/copy editor/writer/general word nerd. It's hard out here for a grammar pimp!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I'm a Masters student in chemical engineering. Looking for a job for when I finish since I got my last fellowship check today.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Hi,

HAZBEEN (Formerly just HAZ). At present, I am a University administrator in Montreal, in charge of residences. McGill/Montreal folks holla!

Peace

h

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I teach high school music. At this college.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

I'm a potter.

tjames

• mr_chinnmr_chinn 89 Posts
    my parents are upper class, self made millionairs who have helped me buy all my 'obscure' records then i sell them to dumb rich white kids that spend all there time trying to be black...

sad but true....stop spottin and find your own anthem cracka

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    my parents are upper class, self made millionairs who have helped me buy all my 'obscure' records then i sell them to dumb rich white kids that spend all there time trying to be black...

sad but true....stop spottin and find your own anthem cracka

This dude is on fire.

But this said, I want to note that we've managed to have a 126 post thread so far with no flaming and a minimum of silliness (mr. chin-chin excepted)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Shout out to all the other teachers on here. There are a couple others that haven't posted yet.

I'm currently finishing my 10th year teaching at Oakland Tech. H.S. in Oakland, CA.

Currently I teach 9th grade CA Studies, it's an advanced block class that combines CA History with CA Literature. I also teach a 12th grade Government/Economics class. Have also taught 11th grade U.S. History, 11th grade U.S. Lit, and 9th grade Eng.

After work I have work grading papers and being a full time boyfriend and daddy to my girlfriend and 7 year old kid.

sorry your boy noz got me heated....the stuff i've poted is only %80 true...

i do sell to dumb japanese people though...i swear

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

i do sell to dumb japanese people though...i swear

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Dr. O-Dub,

I'm a tenure-track, management professor in a business school (shhhhh!!!!). Publish or perish, baby!!!! Tenure prospects are looking niiiiiiiice for the fall.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    My dad nearly lost his sanity getting his tenure, so I hope you're holding up alright.

How's Milwaukee been treating you lately?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    My dad nearly lost his sanity getting his tenure, so I hope you're holding up alright.

Hey Aaron,

My department is great but I hate living in Milwaukee, as does my wife. It's a backward, regressive, racist, insular, and clique-is, place. I'm on the market as we speak. I hope to go back east.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i do sell to smart japanese people though...i swear

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

thanks for the "Rap" quote, your concern and i can see its emotional, but
    lemme tell ya kid....im japanese..."mr_chinn"....uummmm

dont take board postings yo seriously....love ya...whatever you are....
    i am now working to become a better human being.

thankyou for your inspiration ...no pun

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    but

Maybe it's because I'm only half-Asian, but when I see mr. chinn I would take a guess at CHINESE, not Japanese.

but

Maybe it's because I'm only half-Asian, but when I see mr. chinn I would take a guess at CHINESE, not Japanese.

HEY!! TEACH!!! easy.....lets not go too far...it's gettin way outta context...
    We're all people...im also mixed

Chinese, Japanese, look at these....and so on

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I know we've got some other chefs on here: add me to the list. I've got a pretty good CA gig that allows me to spend Jan-Feb-Mar working in New Orleans.

I know we've got some other chefs on here: add me to the list. I've got a pretty good CA gig that allows me to spend Jan-Feb-Mar working in New Orleans.

Post your restaurant in Cali or you're Beard Papa cream puff soft.

And yo - what's NOLA been like this year?

Hey Aaron,

My department is great but I hate living in Milwaukee, as does my wife. It's a backward, regressive, racist, insular, and clique-is, place. I'm on the market as we speak. I hope to go back east.

If I got to choose a coast I got to choose the East

I live out there, so don't go there

But that don't mean a n---- can't rest in the West

See some nice breasts in the West

Smoke some nice sess in the West, y'all n----s is a mess

Thinkin I'm gon stop, givin L.A. props

All I got is beef with those that violate me

I shall annihilate thee

Case closed, suitcase filled with clothes

Linens and things, I begin things

People start to flash, 818's, 213's

313's, B.I.G.

Frequently floss hoes at Roscoe's

If I wanna squirt her, take her to Fatburger

Spend about a week on Venice Beach

Sippin Crist-o, with some freaks from Frisco

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

I work here ->
    Where you should sell your product too, very cool idea. Im going into 2nd year at Ryerson for Geographic Analysis.

Hey Aaron,

If I got to choose a coast I got to choose the East

I live out there, so don't go there

But that don't mean a n---- can't rest in the West

See some nice breasts in the West

Smoke some nice sess in the West, y'all n----s is a mess

Thinkin I'm gon stop, givin L.A. props

All I got is beef with those that violate me

I shall annihilate thee

Case closed, suitcase filled with clothes

Linens and things, I begin things

People start to flash, 818's, 213's

313's, B.I.G.

Frequently floss hoes at Roscoe's

If I wanna squirt her, take her to Fatburger

Spend about a week on Venice Beach

Sippin Crist-o, with some freaks from Frisco

Hey O-Dub,

The West is cool, but the cost of living in Cali is a bitch and my wife is quite averse to earthquakes. She had the misfortune of experiencing one when she accompanied me to a conference in LA last year. Not my call on that one, she's not down with it. As far as going north of Cali, there aren't many "folks like me" there. Feel me??? It'd be nice to live in a place with progressive Black folks that are doing well, and where a large part of the majority population (and institutions such as the city government, school board, police force, etc.) are a bunch of flaming racists.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I hear you. No disrespect to your wife but I always found the fear of earthquakes to be a curious phobia insofar as most Americans are probably more likely to lose life or property in some other kind of natural disaster (tornado, hurricane, flood, etc.) than I think most Californians risk with a major earthquake. It occurs to me that the main fear is just the overwhelming-ness of it: I was in high school during the Whittier quake (but never experienced either the Loma Prieta nor the Sylmar) and admitedly, there's something pretty crazy about having the entire ground beneath you rumble.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm a handyman at a goverment subsidized apartment complex.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I'm an editor/copy editor/writer/general word nerd. It's hard out here for a grammar pimp!

I cover politics for a local newspaper in Vancouver, plus some part time work. I'm about to hit the road though, maybe start some new work in Toronto in a few months.

I'm also thinking about a career shift to doing media work with NGOs internationally. Strangely enough, there's better money and more reliable work in this field.

• Financial Advisor for dough. Filmmaker for fun.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Building Inspector for my local city government.
    -my area of inspections is the oldest and blackest part of town, i've uncovered many dope record collections from old ladies to guys just wanting beer money. I get paid thousands of dollars a month to ride around in a truck, talk to different people, and look at buildings all day. I love it.

Masters Degree in Urban Planning also.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    So yo - we have no medical professionals? Wow.

I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist. I've been praciticing for over 5 years. I just took a position on a Cochlear Implant Team at a major university. Kind of my dream job at my dream location. I'm pretty psyched. I help kids learn to hear and speak, so it's good. I assume my posting abilities will decrease bigtime by the end of the summer.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    i'm a cook as most of my other posts suggest. but right now cooking malaysian dim sum in a penthouse/rooftop restaurant in midtown manhattan, which is kind of cool because as far as i know nothing like it has ever been done before. it's also a lot of fun because I have the opportunity to play with some really cool obscure shit...indonesian long peppercorns, dried kaffir limes, fresh pandan and curry leaves, pigs heads, live eels, etc.
    the bar has been open for a few weeks but we start serving food on monday. it's really crazy right now because no one involved really knows how this is actually going to go down, and we're starting with a skeleton crew. the place was so packed last night that it's impossible to imagine dim sum carts rolling through the space. but anyway, that's what i do right now. anyone in the NY area should come check it out...although the drink prices are borderline offensive, and the music tends to be even more so. but the food is going to be really good. we're going to be serving these mini white castle size "bahn mi" sandwiches with home made sriracha

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i'm a cook as most of my other posts suggest. but right now cooking malaysian dim sum in a penthouse/rooftop restaurant in midtown manhattan, which is kind of cool because as far as i know nothing like it has ever been done before. it's also a lot of fun because I have the opportunity to play with some really cool obscure shit...indonesian long peppercorns, dried kaffir limes, fresh pandan and curry leaves, pigs heads, live eels, etc.
    the bar has been open for a few weeks but we start serving food on monday. it's really crazy right now because no one involved really knows how this is actually going to go down, and we're starting with a skeleton crew. the place was so packed last night that it's impossible to imagine dim sum carts rolling through the space. but anyway, that's what i do right now. anyone in the NY area should come check it out...although the drink prices are borderline offensive, and the music tends to be even more so. but the food is going to be really good. we're going to be serving these mini white castle size "bahn mi" sandwiches with home made sriracha
    sounds killer!! hopefully things will go well...In the fall when things slow down around here I'll have to make a trip up there from dirty jersey....will I get to pick my food from a cart rolling around the dinning room????

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    So...I'm always quite impressed/amazed to see the depth and breadth of people's careers up on the Strut.

Ahh I love this question now.. a year ago I'd have to try and explain my boring job but now I can just say..

"I run a record store"

-'Whistle while you work'

http://tinyurl.com/pgomn

-Flyer

http://tinyurl.com/ntddw