Soul Gospel 2 - tracklisting

BelsonBelson 880 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Here t'is -http://www.badlands.se/003.php?ID=7891Waddya'll think?

Comments

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    with all due respect to Soul Jazz,I think I want to do it a lot better.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    with all due respect to Soul Jazz,I think I want to do it a lot better.

Better how, mate? I think they've upped the bar considerably from the first comp, and I'm sure the customers that bought the first one will buy into this one.....and a few of the rarer titles should perk up interest elsewhere.

Inclusions of one super rare title on this one, should lead to more on the next volume.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here t'is -

http://www.badlands.se/003.php?ID=7891

Waddya'll think?

Tracklisting:
    1. You'd Better Get A Move On - McCord, Louise
    2. Since I've Been Born Again - Bass, Martha
    3. Do Your Thing - Gaines, Marion Singers
    4. Dead End Street - Ward, Clara
    5. Let Them Talk - Meditation Singers
    6. Who Is She - Reese, Della
    7. Praise His Name - Stovall Sisters
    8. Where Will It End - Sensational Cymbals
    9. Have A Talk With God - Summers, Myrna
    10. After The Rain - Barrett, Pastor T.L.
    11. Keep Trying - Clark, Mildred
    12. We Should All Thank The Lord - Lovers Of God
    13. I'll Keep A Light In My Window - NYCC
    14. Bad Times Bad Times - Williams, Marion
    15. Keep The Faith - Mel & Tim
    16. Casanova - Holloway, Loleatta
    17. Why Am I Treated So Bad - Sweet Inspirations
    18. My Soul Has Got To Move - Dixie Wonders & Clephus Mabone
    19. Let Him Come In - Lemon, Howard Singers
    20. Wade In The Water - Angelic Choir
    21. For What It's Worth - Staple Singers

I know most of the performers, some of the songs and a few of the performances. I look forward to hearing it. Does it work as a listen? If it does I like it. who cares if the rarest or funkist gospelsoul records are on their, I just want to enjoy listening.

Dan

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i expect more

• Waddya'll think?

Tracklisting:
    1. You'd Better Get A Move On - McCord, Louise good track, a nice start[/b]
    2. Since I've Been Born Again - Bass, Martha not familiar with it, but I'm hopnig its on par with Louise McCord[/b]
    3. Do Your Thing - Gaines, Marion Singers so far so good[/b]
    4. Dead End Street - Ward, Clara I don't think of this song as really gospel, more like uptempo Axelrod[/b]
    5. Let Them Talk - Meditation Singers Belson did you play this for me?[/b]
    6. Who Is She - Reese, Della Not a gospel track, a good track but doesn't belong on this comp[/b]
    7. Praise His Name - Stovall Sisters Should of went with "Hang On In There"[/b]
    8. Where Will It End - Sensational Cymbals Don't know it, want to hear it[/b]
    9. Have A Talk With God - Summers, Myrna nice to include some Myrna[/b]
    10. After The Rain - Barrett, Pastor T.L. don't know, want to hear it[/b]
    11. Keep Trying - Clark, Mildred I think this is another one you played for me Belson[/b]
    12. We Should All Thank The Lord - Lovers Of God don't know it, [/b]
    13. I'll Keep A Light In My Window - NYCC This song is one of my favorites, never heard this version but Free Life's version is amazing, This is probably the track I most look forward to hearing[/b]
    14. Bad Times Bad Times - Williams, Marion heard about it, would like to hear this[/b]
    15. Keep The Faith - Mel & Tim Don't Know it, want to hear it[/b]
    16. Casanova - Holloway, Loleatta not a gospel track[/b]
    17. Why Am I Treated So Bad - Sweet Inspirations ditto[/b]
    18. My Soul Has Got To Move - Dixie Wonders & Clephus Mabone don't know it, want to hear it[/b]
    19. Let Him Come In - Lemon, Howard Singers meh[/b]
    20. Wade In The Water - Angelic Choir I'm a sucker for this song[/b]
    21. For What It's Worth - Staple Singers is this the buffalo Springfield joint? if so, definitly not a gospel track[/b]

definitely looks better than the first volume. I do think they could of done better, but I'll reserve final judgement until after I give it a proper listen

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    13. I'll Keep A Light In My Window - NYCC This song is one of my favorites, never heard this version but Free Life's version is amazing, This is probably the track I most look forward to hearing

This is pretty discoey. Did they include the 12" version with the extra braekz?

• 13. I'll Keep A Light In My Window - NYCC This song is one of my favorites, never heard this version but Free Life's version is amazing, This is probably the track I most look forward to hearing

do you have an MP3 of this song. I have yet to hear a version I didn't like

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Firstly, the Meditation Singers - yeah, I played you that. Seems to be so overlooked at the minute.

The Martha Bass is an uptempo funky soul cut - s'nice.

Hang on in there by the Stovalls has been comped a few times already - so nice to go with something fresh.

The Della Reese is an interesting inclusion...I tend to agree with you, even though the version by Andrea Vereen that Jinx included on his gospel mix didn't get slammed at all - OK it has more adaptations but it's still the same track essentially.

Yeah, I played you the Mildred Clark too.

Sensational Cymbals is sweet - you'll like that.

As for the few other tracks that aren't really gospel - yeah, I'ld agree but this comp is part 2 of a series planned for Soul Gospel. Whilst others seem to be talking about getting *a* compilation done, Soul Jazz are putting together a series that grows with its audience. A tracklisting for Volume 3 has already been submitted to the label and yes, it goes deeper still. As a series that is introducing people to it, I think it's moving in the right direction. Many of us can come up with one comp of heaters that the next person hasn't heard - but that's not entirely the point here.

• As for the few other tracks that aren't really gospel

it's not that I mind hearing some of these tracks I just don't think tracks about a man sneaking off with another woman has much to do with the gospel

this comp is part 2 of a series planned for Soul Gospel. Whilst others seem to be talking about getting *a* compilation done, Soul Jazz are putting together a series that grows with its audience. A tracklisting for Volume 3 has already been submitted to the label and yes, it goes deeper still. As a series that is introducing people to it, I think it's moving in the right direction. Many of us can come up with one comp of heaters that the next person hasn't heard - but that's not entirely the point here.

Gr*g, don't get me wrong I'll most likely be picking this up. I'm just playing harsh record nerd critic. Honestly I wish there were more gospel comps out there

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Whilst others seem to be talking about getting *a* compilation done, Soul Jazz are putting together a series that grows with its audience.

so, how are they compensating you mate?

• Options
    13. I'll Keep A Light In My Window - NYCC This song is one of my favorites, never heard this version but Free Life's version is amazing, This is probably the track I most look forward to hearing

do you have an MP3 of this song. I have yet to hear a version I didn't like

Been a playout disco tune for ages. Pretty easy LP and 12 to catch.

Keep a Light clip

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

so, how are they compensating you mate?

Haha - no comensation here, mate......but the two tracks I was asked to submit made it on there.....

seems like alot of gurl diva stuff on there.

maybe not to my taste, but horses for courses & alladat.

the real question remains: will this comp get the t*nyu seal of approval???

---

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

the real question remains: will this comp get the t*nyu seal of approval???

---

not enough gay loft disco...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I will say in defense of SoulJazz (and I need a late pass to the Gospel party, and did not like the 1st Soul Gospel comp) their popularity at this point is going to work against the record geek attitude. Their releases get coverage in Spin, Pitchfork, et mainstream music media al. They have to appeal to more than just the Gospel-obsessed digger; hence, you are probably seeing more disco, mainstream, and cover tracks mixed in with the raers.

Not everyone is going searching for Violinaires records; but, Souljazz still has to have something to appeal to that buyer.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I will say in defense of SoulJazz (and I need a late pass to the Gospel party, and did not like the 1st Soul Gospel comp) their popularity at this point is going to work against the record geek attitude. Their releases get coverage in Spin, Pitchfork, et mainstream music media al. They have to appeal to more than just the Gospel-obsessed digger; hence, you are probably seeing more disco, mainstream, and cover tracks mixed in with the raers.

Not everyone is going searching for Violinaires records; but, Souljazz still has to have something to appeal to that buyer.

Is it not possible to go after both audiences without going the Staples Singers route? Numero covets both, and our funky gospel collection is all rare cuts. The Pitchfork / Spin / flavor of the week sect, while not crate diggers, is still every bit as hungry for the off the wall and out there. They're not looking to be pandered to.

At this point Soul Jazz has a really healthy brand identity. They can go anywhere they want to and people will follow. The real question is, how many of their releases go REALLY deep?

Is it not possible to go after both audiences without going the Staples Singers route? Numero covets both, and our funky gospel collection is all rare cuts. The Pitchfork / Spin / flavor of the week sect, while not crate diggers, is still every bit as hungry for the off the wall and out there. They're not looking to be pandered to.

At this point Soul Jazz has a really healthy brand identity. They can go anywhere they want to and people will follow. The real question is, how many of their releases go REALLY deep?

Well, I don't think that the Staple Singers are pandering. The song in question is NOT a gospel tune, but the group in question DEFINITELY has gospel roots, and there is ZERO shame in the Staples game. I agree that the FLaveOfWeek Sect (henceforth to be referred to as FLOW Sect) wants the off the wall as well, but 1) their standards may be different- I don't expect them to know as much about Soul Gospel in the first place as the dudes on here, so they're off the wall and yours may be different and 2) Comps need to appeal to all audiences, and they need to get people to buy the thing in the first place. A couple familiar names can help lure in those FLOW Sect Fence Sitters.

And, you could do a lot worse than the Staples Singers.

was that you I saw carrying a Soul Jazz logo messenger bag???

---

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Well, I don't think that the Staple Singers are pandering. The song in question is NOT a gospel tune, but the group in question DEFINITELY has gospel roots, and there is ZERO shame in the Staples game. I agree that the FLaveOfWeek Sect (henceforth to be referred to as FLOW Sect) wants the off the wall as well, but 1) their standards may be different- I don't expect them to know as much about Soul Gospel in the first place as the dudes on here, so they're off the wall and yours may be different and 2) Comps need to appeal to all audiences, and they need to get people to buy the thing in the first place. A couple familiar names can help lure in those FLOW Sect Fence Sitters.

And, you could do a lot worse than the Staples Singers.

Agreed on the ZERO shame for the Staples. I was merely trying to demonstrate the use of a familar name to draw people in. I'm not so sure the FLOW sect (nice work there) really cares if Aretha or Marion or Clara is on there, they're looking at the logo.

Again, SJ has done a brilliant job branding themselves, and I commend them for that. If you're posting here, chances are they will never do anything deep enough for you. If you think you can do it better, do it.

Track list forthcoming.

Again, SJ has done a brilliant job branding themselves, and I commend them for that. If you're posting here, chances are they will never do anything deep enough for you. If you think you can do it better, do it.

Track list forthcoming.

And, a 'well said' to you sir...

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

was that you I saw carrying a Soul Jazz logo messenger bag???

Work in distribution long enough and you'll get everything for free. Or nearly free...

Nice bag, really. More companies need to properly accessorize.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Well, I don't think that the Staple Singers are pandering. The song in question is NOT a gospel tune, but the group in question DEFINITELY has gospel roots, and there is ZERO shame in the Staples game.

The track that was originally offered for the comp by the Staples Singers was 'Uncloudy day' - but that was rejected. If you haven't heard that, then you're missing out.

Granted the comp as a whole isn't as deep as most of us would compile something - but has anybody heard the Lovers of God 45, except for the couple of people I played it to? Deep ain't the word and rare as a raer thing.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I don't expect them to know as much about Soul Gospel in the first place as the dudes on here

....I wouldn't say that

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I want to voice my support for the Staples version of For What It's Worth. This is not a gospel compilation, it is a gospel soul compilation. This song fits. While you might not think of the Buffallo S version as gospel when the Staples touch it takes on a whole new meaning.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i think this is definitely better than the first one. better tunes for sure. i guess id just like to see a gospel comp of JUST gospel artists. theyre just the first to do it so of course they wont do it right yet. maybe the third one will be even better.

im sure a few of us on here can do a real solid one but i too am glad that they started doing this. id do the next one for SJ or anyone else who is down to do it. gospel still scares a lot of people though.

• i think this is definitely better than the first one. better tunes for sure. i guess id just like to see a gospel comp of JUST gospel artists. theyre just the first to do it so of course they wont do it right yet. maybe the third one will be even better.

im sure a few of us on here can do a real solid one but i too am glad that they started doing this. id do the next one for SJ or anyone else who is down to do it. gospel still scares a lot of people though.

my sentiments exactly.

If the majority of us gospel heads werent also potheads I thnk we could make a series of facemelting gospel comps.

Soufriere:[/b] That version "Keep My Light In My Window" is pretty good. I have a feeling I've seen that NYCC album quite it a bit actually and always passed it up cause of the "CC" part of their name. This is a fairly common LP, no?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    If the majority of us gospel heads werent also potheads I thnk we could make a series of facemelting gospel comps.

Well hey, that's not such a bad idea.

Everybody who wants in, post up one face melting gospel track that you would like to include in the 'SoulStrut Gospel Face Melters Vol. 1' comp.

Mp3 them and list 'em up below - just snippets if you like, and keep them squirrel if you so desire....see what we come up with.

Anybody want to step up to the plate first?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    NYCC has at least a couple really dope disco singles, I don't know if any of their albums are worth a damn however (the one I listened to wasn't)

I have mixed feelings about these comps, but generally Soul Jazz releases have very high sound quality and are extremely listenable which should be the criteria for a good comp...

• If the majority of us gospel heads werent also potheads I thnk we could make a series of facemelting gospel comps.

Well hey, that's not such a bad idea.

Everybody who wants in, post up one face melting gospel track that you would like to include in the 'SoulStrut Gospel Face Melters Vol. 1' comp.

Mp3 them and list 'em up below - just snippets if you like, and keep them squirrel if you so desire....see what we come up with.

Anybody want to step up to the plate first?

are you willing to head up this project?

Theres been talk of doing something like this before on SS but nothing materialized (I'll take some of the blame on that)

Anyways I think it would be great to put one of these together and maybe sell it with all the profits going to charity. (hopefully something to do with one of the charities SS has contributed to before).

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Yeah hi Breakself!!!

PS: Belson this is my super secret squirrel so please no PMs for track IDs