Colbert at the White House Correspondents dinner!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Some folks are in such a Bush hating frenzy that they don't realize the joke is on them.....

If you want some historic TV lets see some guy ask these type of questions to the President of any number of countries like North Korea or Iraq and see if he gets his head chopped off on the spot, on live TV!!

This is such a straw man argument. Wow, we don't live in North Korea. What a revelation. We actually have freedoms here, I didn't know.

And by the way, you might have meant Iran, not Iraq, because according to Bush Iraq is a growing bastion of democracy in the Muslim world.

This was a roast for the president and the press corps. Everyone expected people to make fun of Bush, and OF COURSE, Colbert's speech was scripted. He's a fuckin TV comedic act. In such an important situation do you expect him to ad lib it??? I can't see the video, but I've heard reports and some of it sounded pretty funny. Mission accomplished I say for a funny guy. Nothing more, nothing less to me.

I'm just sayin' that seeing a guy's head get cut off live on TV would be considered "historic TV"....nothing more, nothing less.

Rockadelic,

The simple fact is: people don't like you

Isn't this what you guys call getting

I'd like to think that there are at least a few folks here that actually like me.

I have no problem with people hating me because of my views or the way I post.

These are probably people that wouldn't like me in real life and vice versa.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I'm just sayin' that seeing a guy's head get cut off live on TV would be considered "historic TV"....nothing more, nothing less.

If I'm not mistaken but you might be able to see public beheadings in Saudi Arabia. I know their public, I just don't know whether they're on TV. And Saudi Arabia is one of our valuable allies by the way. It's also the home of most of the 9/11 hijackers. It also happens to be the main home of most of the foreign fighters in Iraq that go to commit suicide bombings. With friends like these ....

It's still a straw man argument by the way.

Rockadelic,

The simple fact is: people don't like you

Isn't this what you guys call getting

I'd like to think that there are at least a few folks here that actually like me.

I have no problem with people hating me because of my views or the way I post.

These are probably people that wouldn't like me in real life and vice versa.

I love your music posts. I'm really down with the b-ball talk. On politics, I'll take a pass. You tend to repeat the same points over and over, and I've never seen you bring up any facts to support any in depth argument. You also have a very jacked-up opinion of Muslims. I still usually read what you post on any topic however.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    And every president has rallies pre-screened for politics and for security.

A good point, but really NOT true. When Bush and Kerry were running 2004, here in Oregon, the Bush rallies were so controlled that protests were not allowed outside the rallies on public streets, and inside the rallies people were arrested for the statements of their t-shirts!

At the Kerry rally all were allowed in, the only screening was a very quick look into bags, about the same as for any other large event at Portland's waterfront.

Of course Kerry has never been president. When I saw Clinton speak, while he was a sitting president, there was no political screening for the event. If there was a security screening it was at the site and had nothing to do with who was coming in; only what you were carrying.

Bush's tightly controlled events have been so legendary that the fact that he took some questions that were not pre-cleared last month was a news story in itself.

Dan

People have little recollection that for most of Clinton's presidency, the same folks that ballyhoo over GW Bush and think he's God's Choice were actively protesting EVERYTHING Clinton did. Those folks excercised their God given right in America to say WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANTED to about our elected (and quite popular) leader. Nasty shit too, and they bad mouthed him constantly, both citizens and pundits. Now those same jokers who HATED Clinton's guts act like anyone who pokes fun at W is ripe for Gitmo. These folks need to get a reality check and/or balance.

NOW, we got people saying how we gotta respect the office. Sorry, that's just not the American Way!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And every president has rallies pre-screened for politics and for security.

A good point, but really NOT true. When Bush and Kerry were running 2004, here in Oregon, the Bush rallies were so controlled that protests were not allowed outside the rallies on public streets, and inside the rallies people were arrested for the statements of their t-shirts!

At the Kerry rally all were allowed in, the only screening was a very quick look into bags, about the same as for any other large event at Portland's waterfront.

Of course Kerry has never been president. When I saw Clinton speak, while he was a sitting president, there was no political screening for the event. If there was a security screening it was at the site and had nothing to do with who was coming in; only what you were carrying.

Bush's tightly controlled events have been so legendary that the fact that he took some questions that were not pre-cleared last month was a news story in itself.

Dan

People have little recollection that for most of Clinton's presidency, the same folks that ballyhoo over GW Bush and think he's God's Choice were actively protesting EVERYTHING Clinton did. Those folks excercised their God given right in America to say WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANTED to about our elected (and quite popular) leader. Nasty shit too, and they bad mouthed him constantly, both citizens and pundits. Now those same jokers who HATED Clinton's guts act like anyone who pokes fun at W is ripe for Gitmo. These folks need to get a reality check and/or balance.

NOW, we got people saying how we gotta respect the office. Sorry, that's just not the American Way!

Great point! Today if we critisize the prez we are helping the enemy and putting our troops in harms way. When we had troops stopping actual genocide in the Balkans Rockadelic's heros were impeaching the prez for a personal, not political, failing.

Dan

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

roasts are not meant to be fun for the person under said roast.

Ahhhh.....not really true, Odub. tradionally, Roasts are meant to be great fun for both the Roaters and the Roastee. Provided, of course, that the Roastee has a sense of humor.

My favorite line from Redd Foxx's episode of Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast:

Aunt Esther: "Redd Foxx's first wife was SOOOOO ugly...

Dean Martin: "How ugly was she?!!"

Aunt Esther: "She was SOOOOOO ugly, they coulda put her face on a postage stamp and STILL no one would lick her!"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the recent roast of Jerry Stiller on Comedy Central was funny. Kevin James killed it.

My highlights from this Colbert thing:

- Rocky metaphor

- the 68% approval thing

- believes the same thing on Wed that he did on Mon...no matter what happened on Tues.

- "misery accomplished"

- "those were good times...as far as we knew..."

- calling out the generals was classic

- when he clowns Scalia

- outing Vallerie Plame...

All in all not the best performance but still pretty funny.

I'm prevented from truly enjoying this thing because deep down I know a) that these jokes do not affect Bush (he doesn't understand them or doesn't care) and b) shit like this changes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So I chuckle to myself and then sigh, depressed.

judging by the non-plussed look on his face maybe he's not as stupid as he'd have us believe.

He is not.

Can we get a "Is Bush really that stupid" thread? I have a hommie that swears he has footage of Bush correctly pronouncing nuclear, etc. before Rove got ahold of him and turned him into this average Joe character, which, the theory goes, is all an act. (I don't buy this theory by the way.)

by the way how does this woman sit in the same room with W? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him. How fake are all these people?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

by the way how does this woman sit in the same room with W? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him. How fake are all these people?

Was she really there?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Must of been a little awkward for Bush

judging by the non-plussed look on his face maybe he's not as stupid as he'd have us believe.

He is not.

Can we get a "Is Bush really that stupid" thread? I have a hommie that swears he has footage of Bush correctly pronouncing nuclear, etc. before Rove got ahold of him and turned him into this average Joe character, which, the theory goes, is all an act. (I don't buy this theory by the way.)

Not sure whether I would say Bush is stupid. He didn't appear to give a fuck about his Ivy League education. Partying was his #1 priority. I do know that he doesn't really know much about the world. He's a big picture kind of CEO. For example, when he met with some pro-invasion Iraqi exiles before the war they commented that Bush didn't seem to know anyting about Iraq other than Saddam was a bad guy. That's not stupid, just not informed.

I made this comparison before, but he seems like Reagan. Outgoing kind of guy. Comes up with big ideas for his administration, but leaves all the work and details to others while he hangs out at his ranch.

And yes, Rove did create an entire image of him as a down home Texan when he and his family are actually blue blooded northerners. Is Bush a carpetbagger???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is Bush a carpetbagger???

Can you say, "poster boy?"

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    "Journeys With George," behind the scenes of the 2000 primaries, is probably the most intimate portrait of W you'll ever see. It proves he's not stupid and makes you wish he was a drinking buddy instead of the president. A couple of facemelting moments. Highly recommend everyone check out this movie.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Think what you want of the man, the office demands respect.

Respect is earned, not granted.

• Id love it if all this hysteria was genuine. Id love it if you people were genuinely living in a state of unrelenting terror but alas I know its merely grandstanding. But hey, if spending five minutes on the net regurgitating vacuous rhetoric before going to listen to obscure(therfore better!) jazz makes you feel like a courageous political dissenter, good for you.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    wow...who knew there were republican lurkers who secretly despise the fact that people on this board listen to obscure music!

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Think what you want of the man, the office demands respect.

Respect is earned, not granted.

Truth.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Colbert's speech was historic!!! To anyone who says otherwise, you don't know sh*t. Nobody has ever sonned the president like this...ever. It is not "customary" for the president to get his ass handed to him at these dinners. Yes, Imus made the news for criticizing Hillary Clinton, but it was mostly cause he sounded like a complete asshole and made idiotic accusations like she had slept with Vince Foster.

Also, to those fools who think that the media is controlled by liberals, again, you don't know sh*t. Yes, there are liberal writers at the Post and Times, but who do you think is funding these papers?? Big business, who if you haven't noticed, is Bush's bread and butter supporters. Bush couldn't cater to big business any more than he does. It is sickening. In return, the press gives him a pass and like Colbert mocked, basically reports what his press secretary says word-for-word.

There have been plenty of news stories that have been anti-bush lately, but that is only cause he has been involved in continious scandal. Iraq, the CIA leak, Katrina, wire tapping, the oil crisis, Abramoff...its fucking never-ending. Take yourself back a little bit though, and you might remember how post 9-11, the press was a complete puppet for the president. There was zero dissension. Now there is some, but in the mainstream it is considerably diluted. If you don't see how big business is censoring the press, than you missed the whole point of Colbert's speech.
    This isn't a conspiracy theory, its fact and is exactly what explains all the during his complete ass-ripping of the president and the press.

Wake up fools.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Colbert's speech was historic!!! To anyone who says otherwise, you don't know sh*t. Nobody has ever sonned the president like this...ever. It is not "customary" for the president to get his ass handed to him at these dinners. Yes, Imus made the news for criticizing Hillary Clinton, but it was mostly cause he sounded like a complete asshole and made idiotic accusations like she had slept with Vince Foster.

Also, to those fools who think that the media is controlled by liberals, again, you don't know sh*t. Yes, there are liberal writers at the Post and Times, but who do you think is funding these papers?? Big business, who if you haven't noticed, is Bush's bread and butter supporters. Bush couldn't cater to big business any more than he does. It is sickening. In return, the press gives him a pass and like Colbert mocked, basically reports what his press secretary says word-for-word.

There have been plenty of news stories that have been anti-bush lately, but that is only cause he has been involved in continious scandal. Iraq, the CIA leak, Katrina, wire tapping, the oil crisis, Abramoff...its fucking never-ending. Take yourself back a little bit though, and you might remember how post 9-11, the press was a complete puppet for the president. There was zero dissension. Now there is some, but in the mainstream it is considerably diluted. If you don't see how big business is censoring the press, than you missed the whole point of Colbert's speech.
    This isn't a conspiracy theory, its fact and is exactly what explains all the during his complete ass-ripping of the president and the press.

Wake up fools.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-daou/ignoring-colbert-a-small_b_20092.html

I love your music posts. I'm really down with the b-ball talk. On politics, I'll take a pass. You tend to repeat the same points over and over, and I've never seen you bring up any facts to support any in depth argument. You also have a very jacked-up opinion of Muslims. I still usually read what you post on any topic however.

No doubt I don't take the time nor the effort to have the lengthy bibliography you have with your research. What I post here is my opinions based on my experiences and what I see in my everyday life. Same as my music and hoops posts.

As far as just making the same point over and over....if that point was "Bush Sucks" no one would have a problem with it as that happens here 10-20 times daily, so it's not just the repetition that's the problem.

There is no question that as a whole SS has a left leaning political atmosphere which carries the "If your not with us you're against us" attitude. This is not merely my opinion but the consensus of those folks who I've discussed this with off board. And I find it ironic and amusing.

The few people who are not intimidated by the overwhelming opposition to anything right of center, like Vitamin, get little respect even though their research and arguments are at least as compelling as anyone elses here.(I find Motown and Vitamin to be the two most informed and articulate posters here when it comes to politics) Therefore I realize there is little hope that my less informed opinion will be respected.

If my opinions and observations are so hated here as to say "no one likes me" I guess I should decide how important making friends here is and take it from there. I can come here and only post about music and sports and hope to make friends, but if you met me in a bar, and the topic turned to politics, my opinions would be the same there that they are here. And I would have no problem sharing them.

Personally I think it's more entertaining when a thread has two opposing sides vs. one that just becomes a cheerleading seesion for one ideal. Those types of posts are gonna be awfully boring if only like minded people participate..... maybe that's what most folks want??

I have to wonder if the reason folks dislike me is that A) they think I am stupid and my posts make little sense...B) My opinions are viewed as that of "the enemy"... or....C) If it's the fact that I do like to argue a point when most people just want to be safe with their opinions in their own little "mind garden" and make believe everyone has the same opinion as them??

If the answer is "A" it's a wonder I get as many heated responses as I do...why argue with an idiot?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

No doubt I don't take the time nor the effort to have the lengthy bibliography you have with your research. What I post here is my opinions based on my experiences and what I see in my everyday life. Same as my music and hoops posts.

Cue Colbert talking about how he looks it up, not in a book, but in his gut.

I have to wonder if the reason folks dislike me is that A) they think I am stupid and my posts make little sense...B) My opinions are viewed as that of "the enemy"... or....C) If it's the fact that I do like to argue a point when most people just want to be safe with their opinions in their own little "mind garden" and make believe everyone has the same opinion as them??

If the answer is "A" it's a wonder I get as many heated responses as I do...why argue with an idiot?

My answer is A, and you notice that I've basically stopped arguing with you. But I agree with Motown, your music and basketball posts are alright. There is more subjectivity in those realms than in politics, where things like the torture you legitimately suggest be meted out to people have meaningful consequences for our rights and culture.

My answer is A, and you notice that I've basically stopped arguing with you. But I agree with Motown, your music and basketball posts are alright. There is more subjectivity in those realms than in politics, where things like the torture you legitimately suggest be meted out to people have meaningful consequences for our rights and culture.

Fair enough.....I'm no genius but I may not be as stupid as you'd like to think I am.

Unquestionably the post I made about torturing convicted child molesters is the most outrageous one I've made to date...

I did it for a few reasons.

1) As a gut reaction to a heinous and sub-human crime that I read about that morning.

2) Somewhat tongue in cheek as I certainly realize this will NEVER happen in the U.S.

and

3) To test the SS double standard that I've been able to detect in almost every post made on political topics since I've been here.

So I ask one of you folks who are alot smarter than me to explain this simple equation.

Why am I hated and ridiculed for suggesting torture be applied to certain criminals while (at least one sect) of the Muslim religion which is respected and held in high esteem by most of the folks here, calls for an Adulterer(amonst many other perceived criminals) to be STONED TO DEATH!!!

Oh yeah....facts to back my claim up....
    http://www.steinigung.org/artikel/sharia_adultery_rape.htm

Maybe Motown can school us on the overall Muslim view on how to punish rapists and child molesters.

If y'all are OK with this double standard than I'm OK coming here and making an idiot of myself on a daily/weekly basis.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (at least one sect) of the Muslim religion which is respected and held in high esteem by most of the folks here

I don't think you're dumb, Rock, and I don't hate you.
    I do think you like to come into threads and say
    shit you know is extreme and will get a rise out of people,
    just to turn the thread into a dialogue of "Soul Strut vs
    Rockadelic," and I, for one, find it tiresome.
    However, it's only the internet, everyone says dumb ass
    shit on here, and it takes alot more than moral/ethical/political
    disagreements for me to "hate" anyone.

• Colbert's speech was historic!!! To anyone who says otherwise, you don't know sh*t. Nobody has ever sonned the president like this...ever. It is not "customary" for the president to get his ass handed to him at these dinners. Yes, Imus made the news for criticizing Hillary Clinton, but it was mostly cause he sounded like a complete asshole and made idiotic accusations like she had slept with Vince Foster.

Wake up fools.

you're disturbed.

(at least one sect) of the Muslim religion which is respected and held in high esteem by most of the folks here

I don't think you're dumb, Rock, and I don't hate you.
    I do think you like to come into threads and say
    shit you know is extreme and will get a rise out of people,
    just to turn the thread into a dialogue of "Soul Strut vs
    Rockadelic," and I, for one, find it tiresome.
    However, it's only the internet, everyone says dumb ass
    shit on here, and it takes alot more than moral/ethical/political
    disagreements for me to "hate" anyone.

No question I say stuff to get a rise out of people.

But also understand what is said here by the masses would get the same rise out of folks at a website with differing political philosophies.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

what's funny is that the president portrays himself as such an oaf that you almost wonder if he really sees what's happening...judging by the non-plussed look on his face maybe he's not as stupid as he'd have us believe.

non-plussed=confused

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Wake up fools.

you're disturbed.

So stop disturbing him...