White Dudes (thug music related)

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
Why do you listen to gangster shit? If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?It seems like alot of you on here more or less listen to it so I thought I'd ask. Cause I seriously wanna know. Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them? Just curious.For real tho, knowledge me. And don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch.

Comments

• mrdeemrdee 29 Posts
    ?
    i listen to breaks too but i was never a drummer in an early 70s band...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    In how many pages?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    In how many pages?

i say people start asking how many jpegs?

i see 13 jpegs in this thread, not including the two requoted to ask a question with the strike out and replacement of some vocabulary. but yeah, im calling 13. 

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why do you listen to gangster shit? If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?

It seems like alot of you on here more or less listen to it so I thought I'd ask. Cause I seriously wanna know. Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them? Just curious.

For real tho, knowledge me. And don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch.

Corny. WHy dont you like gangster shit? Do you not like mob movies either? Action flicks? Goodfellas?

Its entertainment. Im baffled by people who will watch anything, but will only listen to music that supports their particular world view.

Do I sell tons of coke every day? no. Do i like to pretend i do? Not really.

Dont you like N.W.A.? Kool G. Rap? Cuban Linx?

Where is this vitrol coming from day? What else should a white dude be listening to?

Concious, Pro Black, 5% percenter rap?

I like that shit too. Guess what? I cant relate to that stuff either!

By your logic i should only be listening to music made by people who are like me and share my cultural upbringing? Only music made by white people? WHat is you really saying day?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Why do you listen to gangster shit? If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?

Cause it makes me feel gangster! Seriously, silly thread. But I think that's what you wanted to hear.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    good music is good music, irrespective of if i've hold a gun in my life time

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Cause it makes me feel gangster! Seriously, silly thread. But I think that's what you wanted to hear.

that too!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

this is why i listen to gangster rap

• Im gonna give dude the benefit of the doubt and assume he is being sarcastic.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Why do you listen to gangster shit?
    If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    day you really should've known better than to give guzzo your password.

• 'cause the beats and rhymes are funky.

and it's

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    cause mommy and daddy never loved me!!!!!

• Exotic equals erotic.

• Exotic equals erotic.

yuck.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is on some DizzyBullshit

For me all rap is judged by quality of beats & rhymes... it really cracks me up when folks think if they listen to 'positive' raps they're somehow saving the world, all I care about is if its good music or not.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I don't listen very much to "gangsta rap", but I do sometimes. Just a few points:

* My english is not brilliant, and I'm not very often too into the lyrics. It's the sound and production that first off is appealing.

* It's an artform. There's a story behind it, I and don't believe you must have lived to the story to understand and some how relate to it. I have a lot of friends listening to black metal as well, and lyrics about church burning, killing and so on - that's not appealing in itself, not even for them (well, at least for my friends) - it's the art that appeals.

* It's good for parties.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I listen to everything, including gangster rap.

I think B-sides nailed it, as far as appeal. P-Ro nailed it for my personal taste.

Also consider that 99% of gangster rappers never did the shit they rap about.

So you might want to ask them the same question.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    it really cracks me up when folks think if they listen to 'positive' raps they're somehow saving the world, all I care about is if its good music or not.

hahaa, no doubt.

i like all types of music. i don't really care if i can relate to what they are saying. half the time i am not even paying attention. i just like the way they rap to the beat, but i like the beat itself more than anything.

also, being a dj influences what i listen to a lot. when i listen to a song for the first time, i am thinking of whether or not this would hit on the dance floor. unfortunately, i find myself missing out on hot music only because it might not be something i would play in the club.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I like to pretend Im a hard [email]motherF@%^ker[/email] that gets lots of hot big-booty arss.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

It seems like alot of you on here more or less listen to it so I thought I'd ask. Cause I seriously wanna know. Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them? Just curious.

Corny. WHy dont you like gangster shit? Do you not like mob movies either? Action flicks? Goodfellas?

Its entertainment. Im baffled by people who will watch anything, but will only listen to music that supports their particular world view.

Do I sell tons of coke every day? no. Do i like to pretend i do? Not really.

Dont you like N.W.A.? Kool G. Rap? Cuban Linx?

Where is this vitrol coming from day? What else should a white dude be listening to?

Concious, Pro Black, 5% percenter rap?

I like that shit too. Guess what? I cant relate to that stuff either!

By your logic i should only be listening to music made by people who are like me and share my cultural upbringing? Only music made by white people? WHat is you really saying day?

Damn, did I hit a nerve there, homie?

I'm not saying you can't listen to the shit, I'm wondering why people like yourself ONLY listen to it.

I like Scarface, but I don't need to watch it 24 hours a day.
    Yahm?
    And yo, I just asked what I think is a valid question. Don't get so defensive.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Damn, I just read everybody else's responses:

Haha I wrote this obviously on some Guzzo shit, but I honestly had a couple of white dudes in mind on this board when I wrote it. I should have known better, but fahk eet.
    And I definitley like gangster shit, too.

• I like Scarface, but I don't need to watch it 24 hours a day.

damn, can my man live?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    mn, did I hit a nerve there, homie?

I'm not saying you can't listen to the shit, I'm wondering why people like yourself ONLY listen to it.

I like Scarface, but I don't need to watch it 24 hours a day.
    Yahm?
    And yo, I just asked what I think is a valid question. Don't get so defensive.
    Yeah I feel you Day. Dudes are afraid to even like Common at this point.I blame all that late 90's experimental crap. Underground rap didn't used to be a rest haven for dorks.

Personally I've been goin hard on the "gangsta" music because I like it and its payin me but I'm even gettin burnt out on it. Only so many times I can hear a song about what a rapper will do to me.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I don't listen to gangster shit, but I listen to lots of music I don't live. I listen to both historical and contemporary music from around the world. From South Africa to Tuva.

1) The only problem I have with gangster rap is the insistence on artists to live the life they sing about in their songs. No one wanted Jimi or Neal to shoot their babys down, but if you are a gangster rapper and don't occasionally pull a gun or give a beat down you are not keeping it real. That is bullshit. Gangster rap is entertainment, same as scarface, and the artist who produce it should realize that and be proud of their art, not their subject.

2) There was an old Southern Appalachian fiddler (Tommy Jarrell?) who hosted a steady stream of young people who wanted to learn to fiddle. Many of whom were Northern urban and Jewish. One day the great Northern urban Jewish old time fiddler Andy Staten was on the front porch fiddling with him. Tommy asked Andy about his heritage. Then he asked "Don't your people have their own music?" Andy went back to NYC and helped start the klezmer revival.

Dan

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    damn, can my man live?

the yellow brim on the hat of the dude next to him makes it look like scarface jacket guy has a duckbill for a mouth.