White Dudes (thug music related)

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    cmon whiteys, take the bait.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yo Damien what I wanna know is a) who specifically did you have in mind (don't be no punk! ) and b) do you really, honestly think anyone here ONLY listens to gangsta rap?

I mean, I listen to hella LONS and Common "Ressurection" and shit. Just cause I don't think there's a lot of worthwhile "peace rap" being made these days doesn't mean I don't listen to what I consider to be GOOD "peace rap".

my .02

• Do I sell tons of coke every day? no. Do i like to pretend i do? Not really.

But sort of?

That would explain the long pinky nail.

And I guess no one read this in Day's original post:

And don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch.

Too late!

B/W

Another White Dude in Earthtones

• Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them?

Well, when you say shit like this it sounds a little offensive, hence the defensive replies.

With all due respect...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this is the most retarded question ever

*TheMack continues to blast Rick Ross "Hustlin"*

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why do you listen to gangster shit? If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?

It seems like alot of you on here more or less listen to it so I thought I'd ask. Cause I seriously wanna know. Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them? Just curious.

For real tho, knowledge me. And don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch.

Corny. WHy dont you like gangster shit? Do you not like mob movies either? Action flicks? Goodfellas?

Its entertainment. Im baffled by people who will watch anything, but will only listen to music that supports their particular world view.

Do I sell tons of coke every day? no. Do i like to pretend i do? Not really.

Dont you like N.W.A.? Kool G. Rap? Cuban Linx?

Where is this vitrol coming from day? What else should a white dude be listening to?

Concious, Pro Black, 5% percenter rap?

I like that shit too. Guess what? I cant relate to that stuff either!

By your logic i should only be listening to music made by people who are like me and share my cultural upbringing? Only music made by white people? WHat is you really saying day?

Damn, did I hit a nerve there, homie?

I'm not saying you can't listen to the shit, I'm wondering why people like yourself ONLY listen to it.

I like Scarface, but I don't need to watch it 24 hours a day.
    Yahm?
    And yo, I just asked what I think is a valid question. Don't get so defensive.

NO, not really, but i knew you were talking to me. And i do think you sound kinda silly in your original post. And that point about re-affirming my views about black people? How is that a valid question?

Furthermore, why do you care?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    serious cosign mcdee...die motherfucker die! jeeeeeyaah...

I personally like saying jeeeyaah like MC8...I have asked at least 10 African American MCs that curse profusely in their rhymes and they said I had a go-ahead to say jeaayaah. I even have jeeeyyaaaah certificate.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is on some DizzyBullshit

For me all rap is judged by quality of beats & rhymes... it really cracks me up when folks think if they listen to 'positive' raps they're somehow saving the world, all I care about is if its good music or not.

You obviously don't understand the subtle genius behind most of my posts.

Including this one.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    dizzy drops knowledge that's over the heads of some headz. I think I'm gonna buy you a new title: "Subtle Genius"

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Can we see some sales statistics broken down according to race?

• what I don't understand is there is nearly as many honest responses to the question as there is with my name involved ala defensive pantybunchng..

nerves have been hit, I thnk we just found the line that most soulstrutters feel shouldn't be crossed.

and for the record this does seem like a question I may of asked but I of course wouldn't, I know self analyzing of this sort isn't something most strutters could handle without getting defensively asshurt

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    The truth bears it's ugly rear.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Why do you listen to gangster shit? If you don't live the life and you're not around people in that life, what does it do for you?

It seems like alot of you on here more or less listen to it so I thought I'd ask. Cause I seriously wanna know. Does it make you feel more "connected to the streets" or do you just like listening to Black folks kick shit that re-affirms your views of them? Just curious.

For real tho, knowledge me. And don't get your knickerbockers in a bunch.

Corny. WHy dont you like gangster shit? Do you not like mob movies either? Action flicks? Goodfellas?

Its entertainment. Im baffled by people who will watch anything, but will only listen to music that supports their particular world view.

Do I sell tons of coke every day? no. Do i like to pretend i do? Not really.

Dont you like N.W.A.? Kool G. Rap? Cuban Linx?

Where is this vitrol coming from day? What else should a white dude be listening to?

Concious, Pro Black, 5% percenter rap?

I like that shit too. Guess what? I cant relate to that stuff either!

By your logic i should only be listening to music made by people who are like me and share my cultural upbringing? Only music made by white people? WHat is you really saying day?

Damn, did I hit a nerve there, homie?

I'm not saying you can't listen to the shit, I'm wondering why people like yourself ONLY listen to it.

I like Scarface, but I don't need to watch it 24 hours a day.
    Yahm?
    And yo, I just asked what I think is a valid question. Don't get so defensive.

NO, not really, but i knew you were talking to me. And i do think you sound kinda silly in your original post. And that point about re-affirming my views about black people? How is that a valid question?

Yeah, you were definitley in my mind when I made that post. I think you're a good example of what I'm trying to get at.

I think some of you dudes spout that "well, you just don't know the real Black experience" shit while you watch from the sidelines. These same dude's will swear to be down for the people, but when someone like Talib (who I don't dig as an MC but respect what he's about) or any other group doesn't follow what they deem as "real rap" that the streets is feeling, they get clowned. When in actuality, if they truly cared about what was going on, would respect what they're trying to do regardless of their musical talent or lack thereof. It just seems silly to me when I see all these White guys pontificating on what Black is when the majority of you probably insulate yourselves from the culture itself.

That's why I asked what I asked.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

A veteran social commentator and music critic argues that hip-hop has broken down more racial barriers than any other social development since the Civil Rights movement

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    shit!

Day, you created a problem where there's no need to be.

Your ?uest, man...

When you ask : Why...bla...bla...WHITE...bla...bla...BLACK...?

Personally, I consider that we're all grey.

B.

{PS/ No, I don't like Eminem...LOL}

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Instant classic!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Instant classic!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Don't make me get out the jpeg rare of me in Cross Colors and KJ Converses. Fuck Karl Kani.

Let's make this more gender inclusive: White girls in "Ghetto Fabulous" shirts. Your thoughts?

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Why does "ghetto fabulous" need to be a black "concept"? Isn't that just silly stereotypical thinking, or am I the silly one now? There are white ghettos, you know. Or white people living in ghettos. The difference is that the black urban ghettos has an "advantage" - mainly because of hip hop's domination. So media (and then the people) is small thinking the whole concept of a "ghetto".

A white girl with a rich daddy, though... that would in itself be a contradiction, but hey, I guess they call it fashion these days, anyway.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Maybe because it was a term introduced by black people, or at least used almost exclusively by? Stop taking the context out of it.

I do agree with the media's horrible portrayal of what defines ghetto. We can thank C.O.P.S. for that one.

• I think some of you dudes spout that "well, you just don't know the real Black experience" shit while you watch from the sidelines. These same dude's will swear to be down for the people, but when someone like Talib (who I don't dig as an MC but respect what he's about) or any other group doesn't follow what they deem as "real rap" that the streets is feeling, they get clowned. When in actuality, if they truly cared about what was going on, would respect what they're trying to do regardless of their musical talent or lack thereof. It just seems silly to me when I see all these White guys pontificating on what Black is when the majority of you probably insulate yourselves from the culture itself.

Day, be careful pushing this line of questioning defintely hits some deep nerves in many people.

I've said several times I got no issue with all the thugged out gangsta shit, but what I do have a problem with is when some middle upper class white guys with college educations talking shit about a black rapper cause he doesn't fit the guns, crack and bitches stereotypes in his style.

its like its too hard to accept people as human beings capable of the same choices in thought and actions as themselves. A one sided view of an entire race and culture is the opitomy of

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Just another point... a black girl with a rich daddy wearing a ghetto fabulous shirt would be just as much contradictionary, but she would in most cases get away with it because her skin color matches the stereotype. Of course it's okey that she gets away with, because everyone should wear what ever the hell they want (but then the white girl should get away with it as well, no mather what class she's from), but she shouldn't get away with it because it's more "correct" for a black girl to be from the ghetto.

Sorry for being a serious dork. I'm just like that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...as this thread spirals into NAGL territory...

Maybe because it was a term introduced by black people, or at least used almost exclusively by?

The word "ghetto" was "introduced by black people?"

and they "exclusively use it?"

The difference is that the black urban ghettos has an "advantage"

• ...as this thread spirals into NAGL territory...

Maybe because it was a term introduced by black people, or at least used almost exclusively by?

The word "ghetto" was "introduced by black people?"

and they "exclusively use it?"

for clarification

Ghetto
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Ghetto is an area where people from a specific racial or ethnic background or united in a given culture or religion live as a group, voluntarily or involuntarily, in milder or stricter seclusion. The word historically referred specifically to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, where Jews were required to live; it derives from the Venetian gheto (slag from Latin GLITTU[M] cfr. Italian ghetta (slags)), and referred to the area of the Cannaregio sestiere, the site selected for the Ghetto Nuovo where an iron foundry cooled the slags (campo gheto). It was later applied to neighborhoods in other cities where Jews were required to live. The corresponding German term was Judengasse; in Moroccan Arabic ghettos were called mellah. The term now commonly labels any poverty-stricken urban area.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

I've said several times I got no issue with all the thugged out gangsta shit, but what I do have a problem with is when some middle upper class white guys with college educations talking shit about a black rapper cause he doesn't fit the guns, crack and bitches stereotypes in his style.

its like its too hard to accept people as human beings capable of the same choices in thought and actions as themselves. A one sided view of an entire race and culture is the opitomy of

Can you point to any instances of this happening on this board?
    I can't recall anyone seriously criticizing a rapper because "he doesn't fit the guns, crack and bitches stereotypes in his style".
    The usual criticism I see on here regarding "positive" rappers is that they are boring. But this is usually directed towards their delivery and/or the specific lyrics they are putting forth, NOT the message behind it.

• I really don't want to be the spark that set ablaze yet another 5 pager, but I'll just say that certain people here know what I am talking about, and as for that "concious rappers are boring" excuse I find that to be a very generalized statement about an entire genre of music and its artists.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

What I mean is that the stereotypical urban struggle in hip hop overshadows other realities, because of hip hop's mainstream position. Poverty is not restricted to any specific area, but ask any person what "ghetto" means to them and they will most certainly limit it by race. What about the reservations? The trailers? The rural parts of your country, with a lot a poor white people. I'm just trying to break down the stereotypes. It's wrong to think of white poverty as something from the past.. from the Depression... as something you only see when the Waltons are on the tellie, and they even have a pretty good life. The word "ghetto" in itself was first used for poor, jewish areas like Warsaw, Krakow, etc. in Europe for what I know - at least that is what I learned in school. Of course I know it's mostly used by blacks today, but I just taught it was a little stereotypical to think of "ghetto faboulous", or at least ghetto, as something race limited. But we don't need to take the discussion any further. I didn't mean to stirr up anything here.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Let's make this more gender inclusive: White girls in "Ghetto Fabulous" shirts. Your thoughts?

Btw, I might missed the irony and sarcasm in this, and therefore was overly serious in my answer.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What I mean is that the stereotypical urban struggle in hip hop overshadows other realities, because of hip hop's mainstream position. Poverty is not restricted to any specific area, but ask any person what "ghetto" means to them and they will most certainly limit it by race. What about the reservations? The trailers? The rural parts of your country, with a lot a poor white people. I'm just trying to break down the stereotypes. It's wrong to think of white poverty as something from the past.. from the Depression... as something you only see when the Waltons are on the tellie, and they even have a pretty good life. The word "ghetto" in itself was first used for poor, jewish areas like Warsaw, Krakow, etc. in Europe for what I know - at least that is what I learned in school. Of course I know it's mostly used by blacks today, but I just taught it was a little stereotypical to think of "ghetto faboulous", or at least ghetto, as something race limited. But we don't need to take the discussion any further. I didn't mean to stirr up anything here.

Right, except that you seem to think Americans only think of
    non-whites as poor, and that's just not true - and I still don't
    understand why it's an "advantage" for poor people of color to
    be identified with the "ghetto." Are you talking about street cred
    or something?

And you still say this:

Of course I know it's mostly used by blacks today

to which I still say