whitelily psych mix track id

2»

Comments

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Its merits will not be immediately apparent

My first listen was on a typical winter day in Portland, i.e. cold, overcast and pouring rain. Lily's mix couldn't have been a more perfect soundtrack to that specific morning.

That's so funny because - not my first listen, but my first moment - was on a California beach with the sun beating down and kids and dogs playing and it also sounded just right, but in a very melancholy way.

same with me. it was a hot day in the valley and i was driving around looking for records with no air condition...fit the vibe nicely.

for some reason i prefer to not know the tracklist for this one.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    There's a few tunes in there that I recognise; Free's "Mourning Sad Morning", for example. There are a few moments where it actually sounds like she's rocking doubles of folk tunes without drums, which is seriously

This is remarkable shit, though. Thanks to everyone who re-upped it as well - I always regretted missing this back when Rilly Truffle put it out.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Listened to this several times at work the past couple of days. So good. Really well done. Thanks to y'all for sharing this with us.

The schoolkids singing "Band on the Run" is craaaazy. Lovin' it. Is that from the "Langley" thing or somethin' else?

• The schoolkids singing "Band on the Run" is craaaazy. Lovin' it. Is that from the "Langley" thing or somethin' else?

Yup!

Would someone please take a crack at ID'ing the song about a half-hour into this mix.....almost Elliot Smith-esque vocal refrain: "Sail away/taking a holiday". Any help appreciated.

• Wow. Thank you seriously guys, for all the amazing compliments on this mix. It makes me really happy to know that people are still enjoying it and passing it around. Took me a long and involved time to make this and its sort of an audio record of the most timultuous and emotional year of my life, so I'm glad that other people can relate to it and understand it...wasn't sure when I was making it if anyone would be into it because its sort of different, but I'm so excited that you guys love it.

The sail away track that you are talking about is from Terry Jacks' (from the Poppy Family) solo record, but its just a few parts of the song cut up and looped.

Glad to answer any other track questions people might have, though I'm not on this board so much anymore, will try to check periodically.

- Lily

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    shit, can someone re-up that? or post in RealHeadz?

hey Rilly! Hope you are good, gurl.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Bumping it just in case DJAnna didn't download it yet.

shit, can someone re-up that? or post in RealHeadz?

hey Rilly! Hope you are good, gurl.

Hey Anna

This link was posted sometime ago here at SS and it's still valid.

WhiteLily

Here's the artcover (thanks to Bambooshay)

Peace

• Did we ever get a complete tracklisting for this fabulous mix?

If I could get any, it would be the very last song. Anyone know?

• Did we ever get a complete tracklisting for this fabulous mix?

If I could get any, it would be the very last song. Anyone know?

Gale Garnett and the Gentle Reign - My Mind's Own Morning

• Hey all,

I just recently joined and am loving all the amazing info I'm getting on mixes like these... is there any chance of re-upping this one, I'd love to get my hands on it, it sounds absolutely amazing.

Peace,
    Daysun

• Its merits will not be immediately apparent

My first listen was on a typical winter day in Portland, i.e. cold, overcast and pouring rain. Lily's mix couldn't have been a more perfect soundtrack to that specific morning.

Oh, I believe it. I was speaking more to the folks that have read all the praise and subsequently expect that said mix will be some acid-drenched beast that will grab them by the throat and lock them in the deep, dark, sub-compact trunk of their own soul or something. I should have said that its full merits will not be immeidately apparent. Because as perfect a soundtrack as it may have been that first time, I'll bet you a dollar that you're still getting to the bottom of it. I know I am.

I got this from Lily right when she put it out. While none of the tracks on here are hard to locate, the concept and feeling with which it was assembled are what makes it so special. IMO, it has very personal touches all over it; excerpts from answering machine messages, dreamy (and somewhat sloppy) transitions and a certain awkward flow that can only come from accidental sequencing. One of those instances where it all falls into place. I used to bump it constantly in my ride when I had a job that required me to drive 200 miles a day. Really good driving music when you're by yourself. Actually, this is one of those things that ONLY works on a personal level. I can't imagine kickin back with some friends and putting this on. This is strictly introspective stuff. I miss Lily's presence on here. Hope she's doin alright.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Actually, this is one of those things that ONLY works on a personal level. I can't imagine kickin back with some friends and putting this on. This is strictly introspective stuff.

I hadn't really thought about it like that, but you're exactly right.

• Is there anywhere where I can still d/l this mix?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    sounds great how did I snooze on this bad boy?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    "You have seen more of me than I will ever see of myself."[/b]

Actually, this is one of those things that ONLY works on a personal level. I can't imagine kickin back with some friends and putting this on. This is strictly introspective stuff. I miss Lily's presence on here. Hope she's doin alright.

Funny, I understand completely--but couldn't disagree more (respectfully, of course).

This is the exact type of thing I put on when a mess of dudes are hogging my couch. But then, I am not a 'party' type guy (that is, I don't put on some bangers and talk progressively louder at my dudes while they play, drink beer and throw things, or keep telling the dude across the room to "turn it up... this here is my fucking jam!" -- I'm more the type to say, You wanna listen to "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" again, hommie?, or pass around the cover of this mix and ask you your thoughts on unicorns and dream warriors kissing atop rose pedals. If that's soft, than I'm cool with that). In other words, introspection is imperative if you and I are gonna chill with any regularity. Probably why Lily and I get along so famously, I suppose?

The mix is all over the place with seeming randomness, but I helped her break it up into tracks at the very end, and she had pinpointed clarity on where everything was, giving me the impression that the scales were tipped full on the side of exact. I appreciated that.

And while the noise and distortion was an actual mistake, I have grown to love it like I love (and wait for) those random French language instructional vocals and Nitzer Ebb bleeds on the Happy Go Licky LP. Wrong? Yea, probably. Appropriate? Absolutely.

Lily gone is like having to look at everything through dirty glass.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I still have the original mix that I pmed Lily my address and paypaled her $5 for (it should have been $10). I've listened to it more times than I can count, and on repeat.

I also still have the beat to hell copy of Black Magic Woman, the 2LP retrospective of Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac that Epic put out for the American audience, the one that compiles "Fleetwood Mac" and "English Rose". I got it because it had "Without you" which I heard for the first time on Lily's mix.

Now that Lily has left us, this entire board should play with that song on a loop underneath it. We are all cheaper for driving her away, and she is better for it.

Hi Lily,
    JRoot

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    DCastillo's Zero Time mix got re-upped, and so must this:

http://download.yousendit.com/C09F46EF7EA8A4C3

• DCastillo's Zero Time mix got re-upped, and so must this:

Thanks very much....looking forward to hearing this after I missed it when it was last discussed.

Hi, I have??nt heard DCastillo??s mix... you got a link to it?

fred

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What is the short instrumental song that plays just before the one where the guys singing

LA LA LA LALA LA LA LAAAA...

it's at the 39:29 minute mark.

and it's infecting my b r a i n.

- spidey

• yo re up the DCastillo mix anyone

• yo re up the DCastillo mix anyone

It's over here: http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=808641&an=0&page=0#Post808641

Thanks to m dejean.

Very much appreciated, thank you...

• As a new poster, I'm grateful beyond words... these are both amazing mixes, and I'm thrilled.

Peace,
    Daysun

• A. Been revisiting this lately. I was hoping to find a tracklist in here. :-(

B. I miss OldenStrut. I can't keep up with this place these days. :-(