whitelily psych mix track id

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I was recently skating away on the river that is Whitelily's number-one-competition-is-none Bottom Of The Universe mix cd from a few years back, and was reminded of a track therein that I been wanting to know:On Track 18, around the 1:55 mark, just after the Mamas and Papas "Strange Young Girls," there creeps in a darkly swinging vocal, like,Have you ever been here before?Or can't you be sure?'Cause life, you've found,has your mind going'round and 'round???Do you find yourself wanting morethan you had before?[something] has shown you a rainbow...The whole thing is periodically punctuated by a little fuzz riff not unlike Gran Am's "Get High," and then after another verse or so, there's this beautiful, insistent brass refrain that pulls back for a restrained chamber-disco groove based on strings and vibes and some hand percussion, over which a kinda West-Indian-inflected male voice intones spacily and solemnly about "Children of the sun / gaze into your mind...Shine on???Shine???"Does anyone know what song that might be? Thanks in advance.james

Comments

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    SUCH A BUMOUT POST JAMES

a) a girl yoinksed that mix from my car a year ago
    b) l**y doesn't post here anymore

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YOUNG CATCH:

I can burn the mix for you homie.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A long time ago, someone mentioned a Fleetwood Mac tune on this mix as well, which I've been trying to remember. The original post must have gone in one of the crashes. Any ideas, people?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    A long time ago, someone mentioned a Fleetwood Mac tune on this mix as well, which I've been trying to remember. The original post must have gone in one of the crashes. Any ideas, people?

Don't have the mix handy, but if I remember correctly, the first track on the mix is the Fleetwood Mac one.

• i never got this and WL seems to have disappeared off SS. Anyone have a copy of this?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    a) a girl yoinksed that mix from my car a year ago
    My condolences. If you've gotta lose that particular mix, though, that's probably the right way to do it.

b) l**y doesn't post here anymore
    I think she does, although very infrequently, and under a different name (*****y*****e?). In any event, her absence is definitely felt. The shit she wrote when her mix first came out--something about how it was the "sound of thoughts inside the heads of metal giants" or some such thing--was gorgeous; I wish it was still around somewhere.

BUMOUT
    I was in a car-rental jernt not too long ago, and across the waiting area was a recently returned, still-camo'ed-up army dude bumping some T.I. on his Coby. The avuncular guy next to him was making conversation, asking him what he did over in Iraq, and so on and so on, including what kind of weaponry he dealt with. The army dude mentioned the specific kind of rifle he carried, and the other guy asked, "Really? What's the range on something like that?" Army guy answered, "Oh, about fourteen blocks."

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

It's on English Rose.

hot.

It's on English Rose.

hot.

Thanks, fella.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

It's on English Rose.

hot.

Or on the 2xLP Black Magic Woman

It's on English Rose.

hot.

Or on the 2xLP Black Magic Woman

Thanks, man. That's a nice little tune.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this mix is the shit and the cover art is focused beyond belief

• lickslicks 6 Posts
    Heya, I've not heard this mix. In fact I've only recently stumbled on this board. But the song you're looking for sounds like Mandrill's Children of the sun.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    Is there any chance of anyone posting this? I've never heard it and everytime it gets a mention everyone goes all

Heya, I've not heard this mix. In fact I've only recently stumbled on this board. But the song you're looking for sounds like Mandrill's Children of the sun.

Thanks very much, licks (and welcome)--after some googling, it appears that that is in fact the jernt (off of one of the, like, two Mandrill albums I don't own, of course). I knew that shit sounded not-expensive, and now I???m kicking myself for not recognizing that good ol??? ???Coffee??? Cave corn (???Children of de sahhhhnnn...???).

And not to rub saltwater in the wounds of the non-knowing, but I've got to exponentially second what Brian said: This mix is sui generis, unfuckwithable, and as fathomless as the day is long. It's on the ever-shortening list of shit that I listen to every once in a while--even if it???s sunny outside and all is well and I'm working on this Orangina here and I really don???t fuckin??? feel like listening to anything that dark and lovely--just to gauge where I'm at. The heart is a muscle, you know? When you're tired of this mix, you're tired of life.

And a note to Blighty and whoever else hasn???t heard it yet but wants to: This mix will not--I repeat, will not--split your wig and/or melt your face. Its merits will not be immediately apparent (my first thought upon hearing it was ???Wow, this is very...long???), and it will not reward The Missouri Listen (???Show me!???). Despite the big talk, please do not expect it to gut you like a blunt and reconstruct your design. Rather, it is the grass--let it work.

• The heart is a muscle, you know? When you're tired of this mix, you're tired of life.

ok, that's it - i cant take it anymore! i really want to hear this too. Most constistenly repped mix on the strut for a few years now... please to hook me up!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Its merits will not be immediately apparent

My first listen was on a typical winter day in Portland, i.e. cold, overcast and pouring rain. Lily's mix couldn't have been a more perfect soundtrack to that specific morning.

• Please to post this in Real Headz. Sounds like a lot of y'all have it. Thanks!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

My first listen was on a typical winter day in Portland, i.e. cold, overcast and pouring rain. Lily's mix couldn't have been a more perfect soundtrack to that specific morning.

That's so funny because - not my first listen, but my first moment - was on a California beach with the sun beating down and kids and dogs playing and it also sounded just right, but in a very melancholy way.

Oh, I believe it. I was speaking more to the folks that have read all the praise and subsequently expect that said mix will be some acid-drenched beast that will grab them by the throat and lock them in the deep, dark, sub-compact trunk of their own soul or something. I should have said that its full merits will not be immeidately apparent. Because as perfect a soundtrack as it may have been that first time, I'll bet you a dollar that you're still getting to the bottom of it. I know I am.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Is there any chance of anyone posting this? I've never heard it and everytime it gets a mention everyone goes all

Here you go, hommie:

http://rapidshare.de/files/19076877/whitelilly-bottom_of_the_universe.mp3.html

• ="" />

If someone can yousendit.com me this then I'll put it on my webspace and shove a link up. I can get anything off Rapidshare due to my ISP giving 1000 people the same ISP number.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    been wanting to hear this for ages. even set up a deal with rillytruffflez only to have something go wrong in the end (i think it was the fact that i was in canada)/// could someone reup this onto something that is not way shady like rapidshare? they only wanna give me 9megs. i just have good feelings about this mix, like it will be somewhat lifechanging

Thanks very much, licks (and welcome)--after some googling, it appears that that is in fact the jernt (off of one of the, like, two Mandrill albums I don't own, of course). I knew that shit sounded not-expensive, and now I???m kicking myself for not recognizing that good ol??? ???Coffee??? Cave corn (???Children of de sahhhhnnn...???).

And not to rub saltwater in the wounds of the non-knowing, but I've got to exponentially second what Brian said: This mix is sui generis, unfuckwithable, and as fathomless as the day is long. It's on the ever-shortening list of shit that I listen to every once in a while--even if it???s sunny outside and all is well and I'm working on this Orangina here and I really don???t fuckin??? feel like listening to anything that dark and lovely--just to gauge where I'm at. The heart is a muscle, you know? When you're tired of this mix, you're tired of life.

And a note to Blighty and whoever else hasn???t heard it yet but wants to: This mix will not--I repeat, will not--split your wig and/or melt your face. Its merits will not be immediately apparent (my first thought upon hearing it was ???Wow, this is very...long???), and it will not reward The Missouri Listen (???Show me!???). Despite the big talk, please do not expect it to gut you like a blunt and reconstruct your design. Rather, it is the grass--let it work.

Hahahaha! SOLD!

I've got it now thanks to On_the_Red_Clay (and twoply too). It's being uploaded now but it will be a while due to the 10kb upload cap I get from my ISP. If you're in the UK NEVER use NTL.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    [Little dude alert] Can someone post the tracklist, please? [/Little dude alert]

Many thanks in advance.

Peace

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to this. I'll put it up on soulseek tonight if more people want to look there for it.

This really is a superb mix. Totally worth the wait. Very inspired and very

Enjoy.

whitelilly-bottom_of_the_universe

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    This really is a superb mix. Totally worth the wait. Very inspired and very

Ditto.

This mix has sweetness all over it.