Can't hang with the hypy movement

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone with me? I've just grown tired of the stripped down sound. After a while it just sounds like a re-arrangement of the same keyboard synth sounds. Almost gives me a headache. I also can't stand E-40's voice or his delivery and he seems to be on everything now. This is coming from a Bay Area head. I mean, I tried to like it and it was a pleasant change for a bit but if the Bay Area is going to have any lasting success it needs to step it's game up. Probably why I never got into the Bay music in the first place. Maybe I just haven't heard enough good recent Bay Area rap. Someone school me. Show me the sound that backs up the hype. I need to know.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I also can't stand E-40's voice or his delivery

Now this is just out of hand... I don't think you need to be critiquing hyphy if you can even get with Forty...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I also can't stand E-40's voice or his delivery and he seems to be on everything now.

This is coming from a Bay Area head.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Like whatever you want to like, dude. Personally, I think E-40 is fantastic, but I wouldn't expect my momma to give a shit. And yes, stripped down one note synth shit played itself out 5 years ago, but whatever.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Maybe I just haven't heard enough good recent Bay Area rap. Someone school me. Show me the sound that backs up the hype. I need to know.

Slump N Grind vol. 1 & 2

DJ Arcadian = Disconnected from the Yay Area streets

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I will say that some of the newer joints do sound a little too familiar though

I can't think of one since 'Tell Me When To Go' that pushed my wig back

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I have only come up on this recently but find it's like all facets of Hip Hop/Rap.
    About 20% junk, 70% ok and 10% excellent.
    Just remember without the shit the gems would not shine...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duly noted.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I have only come up on this recently but find it's like all facets of Hip Hop/Rap.

Actually, in accordance with Sturgeon's Law, 90 percent of everything is crap.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Actually, in accordance with Sturgeon's Law, 90 percent of everything is crap.

Ya know, they say 75% of the time, it works every time

I'm with ya on this one. I've really tried to like it, but I just don't and I'm not gonna force it just because I live in the bay area. Even so, I respect it and am all for the success of it as a movement. It's hurt my DJ prospects out here as the rare groove scene is all but dead, but that's okay... I'm probably moving soon anyways. Also it's good to see R*ss and J*sh get some recognition on the Slump and Grind tip. Keep it going fellas!

DJ Ferrari

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    go hard or go home

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    It's hurt my DJ prospects out here as the rare groove scene is all but dead

If only someone would mis-read this as

HYPHY MOVEMENT KILLS BAY AREA RARE GROOVE SCENE
    "I'm hella gutted," says local DJ Ferarri. "Looks like I'm going to have to pack in my African Music Machine 45s and move to England. I bet it's not anywhere near as hyphy as here in the yay, bruv."

Ubiquity Records could not be reached for comment on rumors of their supposed GHOST RIDE THE JAZZ DANCE remix album.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    go hard or go home

AYO.

"I'm hella gutted," says local DJ Ferarri. "Looks like I'm going to have to pack in my African Music Machine 45s and move to England. I bet it's not anywhere near as hyphy as here in the yay, bruv."

Ubiquity Records could not be reached for comment on rumors of their supposed GHOST RIDE THE JAZZ DANCE remix album.

Ha! Nice one.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    DJs Arcadian & Ferrari:

Were you guys ever into west coast rap?

DJs Arcadian & Ferrari:

No... I was into hip hop when I lived on the East Coast so that was what I listened to. I've phased out of hip hop for the most part the last few years since I've been in California. I'm not one of those stubborn old hip hop heads trying to revive the Golden Era, I just got into other types of music more and lost touch with the scene.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

you could call your night LOOK-KA HYPY

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    E-40 needs to make MORE tracks like 'Sideways'. that '95 west coast slap shits on most tracks out right now.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    DJs Arcadian & Ferrari:

Sure. Never bought any of it because of it's region though. Just for it's quality. I don't spin anywhere so I buy music for my pleasure.

DJs Arcadian & Ferrari:

Sure. Never bought any of it because of it's region though. Just for it's quality. I don't spin anywhere so I buy music for my pleasure.

I mean, you liked 40, Mac Mall, Spice 1, Lil Bruce, etc etc etc in the 90s?

I don't see how anyone into that sound could dislike what's coming out now.

Unless you think [hipster_carpetbaggeur]Studio Ton is a musical genius[/hipster_carpetbaggeur]

• I probably need that beating a dead horse graemlin but this came out in the SF Chronicle today.

For what's worth, I kind of like all this hyphy business but that's coming from someone who appreciated but was never really big in the local Bay shit in the 90's and now doesn't listen to KMEL ever. So it's still kinda fresh to these ears. I need my Slump and Grind 2...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

this argument is holier than the pope.
    keak federation mac dre etc sound as similar to 90's bay rap acts as illmatic sounds to streets disciple, as southernplayalistic to the love movement, as 'we can't be stopped' era geto boys to chingo bling.

please dont tie the reputation of bay music to the fad of hyphy music.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I will say that some of the newer joints do sound a little too familiar though

I can't think of one since 'Tell Me When To Go' that pushed my wig back

plaese to hear "18 Dummy" by the Federation

and if you don't get the whole hyphy movement it's prolly because you haven't experienced it firsthand. go see the Federation, it's like a religious experience.

• and if you don't get the whole hyphy movement it's prolly because you still haven't purchased Slump & Grind 2.

HI DAZE!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    If you can't get with this than it ain't for you. FUCK YOU!

East Oakland is mega fresh.

and if you don't get the whole hyphy movement it's prolly because you still haven't purchased Slump & Grind 2.

HI DAZE!

haha, oh shit I straight forgotted...see how I am.

where's the paypal link?

never mind...found it

this argument is holier than the pope.
    keak federation mac dre etc sound as similar to 90's bay rap acts as illmatic sounds to streets disciple, as southernplayalistic to the love movement, as 'we can't be stopped' era geto boys to chingo bling.

please dont tie the reputation of bay music to the fad of hyphy music.

You're talking out your ass dude.