Can't hang with the hypy movement

2»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I will say that some of the newer joints do sound a little too familiar though

I can't think of one since 'Tell Me When To Go' that pushed my wig back

White Gurl? How dos White Gurl not push your wig back?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I will say that some of the newer joints do sound a little too familiar though

I can't think of one since 'Tell Me When To Go' that pushed my wig back

White Gurl? How dos White Gurl not push your wig back?

Evidently I haven't been hearing enough of the new shit... excuse me while I order some mo Bay rap

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Unless you think [hipster_carpetbaggeur]Studio Ton is a musical genius[/hipster_carpetbaggeur]

Oh snap!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Look into some San Quinn. His latest album (The Rock) is pretty good, but the one before that (I Give You My Word) was the shit that those routinely looking past good Bay rap need to get with.

The shit I'm saying ain't funny.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Look into some San Quinn. His latest album (The Rock) is pretty good, but the one before that (I Give You My Word) was the shit that those routinely looking past good Bay rap need to get with.

I did give him a listen a while ago and remembered that he stood out. I'll give his album another listen this weekend.

JP: Never really listened to the Bay Area rap prior with the exception of a few Mac Dre (who I like) tracks.

I also suggest The Genie of the Lamp from Mac Dre as a complete album.

And make sure at some point to backtrack 12 years and discover the most completist of them all:

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I mean, you liked 40, Mac Mall, Spice 1, Lil Bruce, etc etc etc in the 90s?

I don't see how anyone into that sound could dislike what's coming out now.

this argument is holier than the pope.
    keak federation mac dre etc sound as similar to 90's bay rap acts as illmatic sounds to streets disciple, as southernplayalistic to the love movement, as 'we can't be stopped' era geto boys to chingo bling.

please dont tie the reputation of bay music to the fad of hyphy music.

it's a different style created from the same foundation. to call it a fad is dissing OG heads who are making the movement what it is (40, keak, etc.).

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Mob shit & Hyphy = Apples & Oranges

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

keak federation mac dre etc sound as similar to 90's bay rap acts as illmatic sounds to streets disciple, as southernplayalistic to the love movement, as 'we can't be stopped' era geto boys to chingo bling.

it's a different style created from the same foundation. to call it a fad is dissing OG heads who are making the movement what it is (40, keak, etc.).

Seriously... stop the ass talking

Mob shit & Hyphy = Apples & Oranges

Not really...more like apples & apple juice.

• I agree with what GB is sayin, but JJ also makes a point: mob shit is very different from hyphy shit, even if some of the same artists have done both.

San Quinn "Hell Yeah" for example is one of the hottest songs in the Bay right now, but I would never classify it as hyphy. Nor would I say that "Sideways" is at all hyphy (a term that wouldn't really catch on until about 7 years after "Sideways" dropped).

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

You're talking out your ass dude.

no you are

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    To separate the two is to engage in the worst kind of carpetbaggeury. Archaic, can I get a witness?

I'm not saying the two are the same, but this whole thread reaks of what Keakers would call "booboo mouth and shit kiss".

Either start calling what Richie Rich and Mac Dre were doing circa '91 hyphy or start calling what Mistah FAB and Turf Talk are doing in '06 mob shit...because they are for the most part one and the same.

I see no reason to separate them except for the devices of hateurs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    devices of hateurs

devices of hateurs

devices of hateurs