SST vs. Dischord ?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
courtesy of the Fader.They say Dischord wins, but i dont know? I dig Fugazi and all but who's fuckin with the lineup of Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, Meat Puppets and Black Flag?
TAGGED:

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    This is done by Fader magazine? There's your answer.

But it's not quite fair to compare the two: SST was better in the early-80s, whereas Dischord was better in the mid- late-80s.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I dig Void and all but who's fuckin with the lineup of October Faction, Always August, Tom Troccoli's Dog, DC3 and Gone?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Dischord all the way. True to themselves and their artists

SST left Negativland cop all that shit with the U2 case.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Sorry, The Minutemen, Husker Du and Black Flag ALONE trump anything on Dischord added up, multiplied by two and doubled, with change to spare.

I think Ian McKaye is a helluva guy and all, but it has nothing to do with how good his bands were compared to the 3 seminal bands I mentioned above. Dischord can't fuck with 80s SST bands, just not on that level. Not many labels were.

Shit, I didn't even mention the Descendents....

Let me just add that I would rather listen to Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr than anything on Dischord and I HATE listening to those 2 bands. Have I made my point yet?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I will tell you that Dischord has had a much larger impact on people my age (23) and younger, though. I mean, Rites of Spring alone could be blamed for half of the emo bullshit you hear on every college person's MySpace. Throw in some Jawbox albums for the ladies and some Minor Threat t-shirts and you have my Creative Writing class.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Rites of Spring alone could be blamed for half of the emo bullshit you hear on every college person's MySpace.

With one major difference... Rites of Spring were better that those bullshit emo bands.
    Circus Lupus were great, too. Super Genius was some great Fall-type rock style...

I will tell you that Dischord has had a much larger impact on people my age (23) and younger, though. I mean, Rites of Spring alone could be blamed for half of the emo bullshit you hear on every college person's MySpace. Throw in some Jawbox albums for the ladies and some Minor Threat t-shirts and you have my Creative Writing class.

Point taken. While Minor Threat was def a big deal to people my age, all that other Dischord stuff, Fugazi included, did hit the folks coming up a lot harder. I will be the first to admit that I do not grasp it's strident appeal, esp Jawbox. But I did dig Jawbreaker....isn't that emo? I always thought they got lumped into that trend in the late 90s, but they always just sounded like rawk music to me.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Sorry, The Minutemen, Husker Du and Black Flag ALONE trump anything on Dischord added up, multiplied by two and doubled, with change to spare.

I think Ian McKaye is a helluva guy and all, but it has nothing to do with how good his bands were compared to the 3 seminal bands I mentioned above. Dischord can't fuck with 80s SST bands, just not on that level. Not many labels were.

SST wins by a mile. Plus they had VITUS!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just can't choose between the two. There was so much awesome stuff on both labels, but also some suspect stuff too. For me, they are both legendary labels & they both have strong back catalogs. Maybe SST, but I would have a hard time discounting all the wack records (DC3 et al. that were mentioned above). I think maybe the jewels of the SST catalog shine brighter but as a whole Dischord was probably more consistent.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I love that soulstrut can have a discussion about which hardcore label is better.
    I guess i was looking at it more from a moral and business perspective.
    Bad Brains, Black Flag , Fugazi and Minor Threat were my favourite bands growing up and i could never choose between them.
    Seeing Fugazi in 98 at the metro in Sydney was just
    I never realised Sonic Youth were signed to SST?
    Were they ever on SUBPOP?

• Best SST release of all time:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    SST has more good albums...SST also get wildest album cover. 

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Best SST release of all time:

• SST by a fucking MILE despite having more shitty bands than I can count--Trotsky Icepick anyone?

but, no discredit towards Dischord I loved a lot of their stuff

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    It has occured to me before that a lot of soulstrutters actually know a lot about Dischord and hardcore/punk music in general....as for myself I have also really worn out that Dischord catalog about 15 years ago.
    I was up to a point that I had almost every record released (except for the first really expensive 7's, even back then they were just unaffordable)by this label + the split releases which where usually awesome. I remember these were limited thus usually harder to find and we europeans needed to order these directly from the states or we would miss out on them big time.....I guess this kind of set off my recordcollecting interest.
    Lot of these bands made me check out other bands that weren't necessarily punk or hardcore or whatever you wanna call it. I remember Fugazi coming to Europe for the first time, playing these really small 200 people venues......amazing! I have seen Scream, Soulside, Government Issue, Ignition etc etc....awesome gigs to which I have warm memories.

SST....man don't get me started about Minutemen....how freaking great was that band!!! Perfect combination of music and politics and timeless music that still sounds fresh today....."What makes a man start fires" is my favorite!

I have sold off most of my punk stuff because I got into different stuff....needless to say I kind of regret this.

Who else used to be into that stuff??? Share stories for goodtimes sake!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    SST by a fucking MILE despite having more shitty bands than I can count--Trotsky Icepick anyone?

bingo..... it's no contests... no matter how much crap SST put out, they still put out Black Flag, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Sonic Youth, Bad Brains, Soundgarden, etc etc etc...

plus

SACCHARINE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Who else used to be into that stuff??? Share stories for goodtimes sake!

I have great memories of going to hardcore shows. My first show was Government Issue in Philly back in 85. The whole do it yourself attitude was very appealing to me as a teenager. I was was talking to a member of the band Electric Love Muffin and told me there was a book called Going Underground which covers the history of american punk from 79-92. The book is supposed to be really good. He also told me his band was on the back cover opening for the Dead Kennedys. The photo of the band playing live at the blue horizon ballroom in Philly featuring a young Prime Cuts in the pit mixing it up. I need to check out this book.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

This was the SST release for me. One brutal LP. As great as the earlt Black Flag records were, this was just outta sight. Quite fond of Sonic Youth's "Sister" LP as well.

But I gotta say that Dischord had more of an impact than SST in the 80's. I lived in DC in the summer of 1999 (or was it 2000?), and saw some amazing bands, particularly the Nation of Ulysses. Holy Rollers had a great stage prescense as well. So many great releases, too (Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Beefeater, Soulside, Ignition, and the list goes on....).

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I lived in DC in the summer of 1999 (or was it 2000?), and saw some amazing bands, particularly the Nation of Ulysses. Holy Rollers had a great stage prescense as well.

I'm not quite sure how this is possible. NOU were done by 1992, with Cupid Car Club and the Make Up rising from their ashes. The Holy Rollers put out their final LP in 1993 and broke up a few years later. For the record, Fabuley was in constant rotation in my 14 year old world.

• No mention of SST super-producer SPOT yet? That man is a legend in Austin. Too bad he's still scrapin' by.

I remember the first time I met him. Somebody said, "Yo, that's Spot!" I was like, "Where? Behind that nerdy lookin' black dude in glasses?"

"Um...that's him."

Super chill guy and unbelievably talented. Besides being a sound genius, he is an incredible guitarist and songwriter. It's just crazy to imagine conversations between him and Henry Rollins.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Allow me to swear by these:

• dig_thisdig_this 279 Posts
    SST has more good albums...SST also get wildest album cover.

definitely. flipping through the Black Flag bin at the mall Disc Jockey was the definition of

SST by a mile for me, but I have to admit that growing up in the middle of Indiana, you checked for every record that took an ad out in Thrasher (on newsprint, foll!), and SST was all over that book....so if they pushed "You're Living All Over Me" you were copping it the next weekend. fIREHOSE? Minutemen? Black Flag? Descendants? cmon, Kira's got the 10 1/2!

bonus: has anybody else noticed in that Boost Mobile TV spot using that Travis Barker guy that in the scene where he's a kid in Venice he's checking out the Descendants' "Coolidge"?

• one point that makes this an unfair comparison-
    Dischord was a strictly local label.

• My 2 cents:

Plus, Dischord was relevant for a much longer period of time.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I lived in DC in the summer of 1999 (or was it 2000?), and saw some amazing bands, particularly the Nation of Ulysses. Holy Rollers had a great stage prescense as well.

I'm not quite sure how this is possible. NOU were done by 1992, with Cupid Car Club and the Make Up rising from their ashes. The Holy Rollers put out their final LP in 1993 and broke up a few years later. For the record, Fabuley was in constant rotation in my 14 year old world.

It was 1990.....that's what happens when I try to take a trip down memory lane before having my first cup of coffee.......

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nation of Ulysses broke up THE NIGHT BEFORE they were going to play my
    town. I was so into the album, and had been waiting and waiting for
    them to come through, and on college radio that morning they were
    like, "they broke up after their show last night, tonight's is cancelled!"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Man, I can only imagine those propping up Dischord as more influential or having a greater catalog are completely disconnected from rock...

Dischord definitely played a large part in the development of emo, some modern strains of punk/HC and maybe even math rock... but these scenes are all basically footnotes whereas the Minutemen, Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Descendents, Bad Brains etc CHANGED THE WHOLE GAME UP... basically put out some of the greatest records of the 80s and altered the course of rock/pop as we know it

As has been said, there's a lot of bullshit in the SST catalog (but I'd say the same for Dischord personally) and Ginn & MacKaye's business practices aren't comparable... but Dischord has only been involved with a handful of records which are important in the grand scheme of things

• SST with a bullet. Anybody remember those xeroxed Raymond Pettibon comic books you could pick up at the record store for a buck? I wish I still had some of those along with all show fliers I used to pull down.

• Man, I can only imagine those propping up Dischord as more influential or having a greater catalog are completely disconnected from rock...

fader

experts on everything from 1 week ago until 15 minutes from now