SST vs. Dischord ?

13»

Comments

• Minor Threat created a whole Punk sub-movement and genre of bands: Uniform Choice, Youth of Today, etc.

all of which suck....

Spoken like somebody who was too young to go to YoT and UC shows,
    therefore not knowing what they are talking about

i've heard the records,homey.... eh, whattya want? posicore doesn't do it for me.... i'm a negative creep (and i'm stoned...)........

listen, all hardcore post 1986 is basically inferior...

i recognize that the early 90;s shit i grew up was nothing special...do yourself a favor and realize that all the early Victory and Revelation stuff, compared to Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, SSD, Circle Jerks, Government Issue, Jerry's Kids, Germs, Big Boys, JFA.....

SUCKED!!!!!
    Seriously dude, what planet are you talking from? You cannot hate on early Rev, that stuff owns it's time & place in the history of the genre. Granted, early Victory ain't no thing, but to compare Victory with rev is just silly.

i find most stuff on Revelation DULL... the only thing i own on Revelation that i half-like is the first Sick of it All EP and i listen to it like once every 3 years... listen, i worked w/ a guy who would play me Judge, Youth of Today, Quicksand, Bold, Side by Side, Shelter, etc all day and i never liked any of it... i don't even like Gorilla Biscuits... when hardcore bands only listen to other hardcore bands, it gets stale fast... and while i like Minor Threat (ALOT), streamlining their sound and adding these jock elements and homoerotic overtones is not my thing... once hardcore became a set element w/ set paremeters (say around 1986), it's kinda over for me... and while i grew up seeing Boston hardcore bands like Sam Black Church and touring bands like Ignite, i don't think either of them are particularly special in the general scheme of things and never put on their records to listen to, wheras i listen to DYS, the Misfits, Cro-Mags, Angry Samoans, Agent Orange, Gang Green, etc etc all the time...

if i had to choose to listen to music from that era (1988), i would pick the Touch and Go and AmRep bands any day of the week... bands like Scratch Acid, Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, Laughing Hyenas etc, to me, are the succesors of Damaged-era Black Flag or Is this my world-era Jerry's Kids way more than Ray Cappo (PUKE) ever was... they took the aggression and weirdness and chose to explore it, rather than make the same record over and over again...

couldn't have said it better myself--except I like that gorilla biscuits record a lot!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    other than minor threat and circus lupus, i'm not listening to too much dischord stuff these days...SST is a different story, always feel like listening to one of their bands.

next topic - touch & go vs. sub-pop?

touch&go for me

Twin/Tone vs. Cargo?

Who cares?

Cargo!

No Way! Twin/Tone for the Wallets alone! You are claerly disconnected from the Minneapolis/St Paul streets, poseur!

• other than minor threat and circus lupus, i'm not listening to too much dischord stuff these days...SST is a different story, always feel like listening to one of their bands.

touch&go for me

Twin/Tone vs. Cargo?

Who cares?

Cargo!

No Way! Twin/Tone for the Wallets alone! You are claerly disconnected from the Minneapolis/St Paul streets, poseur!

if Suicide Commandos had been on SST the game would've changed--irrepairably.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Twin/Tone vs. Cargo?

Who cares?

Cargo!

ak! the truth revealed!

wait. are we talking the same Cargo? the Cargo of Angry Samoans and Discharge?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Ian McCay and Henry Rollins are both big Mingering Mike fans.

They were also great friends and grew up together in the D.C. area. Rollins was in an early D.C. Punk band the same time McCay was starting his own group as well.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Personally, the only thing I really like on SST is Black Flag. The rest is just eh. I liked the early Dischord material much better and Nation of Uslysses. The rest can basically bite me. I FUCKING HATE EMO!!?!?!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Minor Threat created a whole Punk sub-movement and genre of bands: Uniform Choice, Youth of Today, etc.

all of which suck....

Spoken like somebody who was too young to go to YoT and UC shows,
    therefore not knowing what they are talking about

i've heard the records,homey.... eh, whattya want? posicore doesn't do it for me.... i'm a negative creep (and i'm stoned...)........

listen, all hardcore post 1986 is basically inferior...

i recognize that the early 90;s shit i grew up was nothing special...do yourself a favor and realize that all the early Victory and Revelation stuff, compared to Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, SSD, Circle Jerks, Government Issue, Jerry's Kids, Germs, Big Boys, JFA.....

SUCKED!!!!!
    Seriously dude, what planet are you talking from? You cannot hate on early Rev, that stuff owns it's time & place in the history of the genre. Granted, early Victory ain't no thing, but to compare Victory with rev is just silly.

i find most stuff on Revelation DULL... the only thing i own on Revelation that i half-like is the first Sick of it All EP and i listen to it like once every 3 years... listen, i worked w/ a guy who would play me Judge, Youth of Today, Quicksand, Bold, Side by Side, Shelter, etc all day and i never liked any of it... i don't even like Gorilla Biscuits... when hardcore bands only listen to other hardcore bands, it gets stale fast... and while i like Minor Threat (ALOT), streamlining their sound and adding these jock elements and homoerotic overtones is not my thing... once hardcore became a set element w/ set paremeters (say around 1986), it's kinda over for me... and while i grew up seeing Boston hardcore bands like Sam Black Church and touring bands like Ignite, i don't think either of them are particularly special in the general scheme of things and never put on their records to listen to, wheras i listen to DYS, the Misfits, Cro-Mags, Angry Samoans, Agent Orange, Gang Green, etc etc all the time...

if i had to choose to listen to music from that era (1988), i would pick the Touch and Go and AmRep bands any day of the week... bands like Scratch Acid, Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, Laughing Hyenas etc, to me, are the succesors of Damaged-era Black Flag or Is this my world-era Jerry's Kids way more than Ray Cappo (PUKE) ever was... they took the aggression and weirdness and chose to explore it, rather than make the same record over and over again...
    Man. We obviously have super different tastes. I can't stomach stuff like Scratch Acid, Jesus Lizard etc. But YOT, Judge, Bold etc. I'm so there. I don't mind it being samey, because to me it's such a great same & is tied to many good memories.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    other than minor threat and circus lupus, i'm not listening to too much dischord stuff these days...SST is a different story, always feel like listening to one of their bands.

touch&go for me

Twin/Tone vs. Cargo?

Who cares?

Cargo!

if Suicide Commandos had been on SST the game would've changed--irrepairably.

They would have still been ultimately overshadowed by the Huskers in terms of influence AND the quality of their musical output. While I have a ton of respect for the Commandos and what they did for the Minneapolis scene, there is little evidence to suggest that they would have had much to offer beyond the one studio LP they put out and a huge live reputation supposedly backed up by a live LP on Twin Tone. The subsequent musical output of the seperate members is not particularly impressive. I still give props to Chris Osgood however, he kept a lot of Minneapolis bands going.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ..and like I said, re Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Dag Nasty, etal -
    having been able to actually see these bands live in their prime, circa
    85-89, makes a big difference.

Trust me, P-Gunn, if you had been at the show in Boston that
    graces the cover of the "Break Down the Walls" LP, you would
    probably be singing a different tune about this stuff...but
    you were home watching Voltron and eating pudding cups...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ..and like I said, re Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Dag Nasty, etal -
    having been able to actually see these bands live in their prime, circa
    85-89, makes a big difference.

Trust me, P-Gunn, if you had been at the show in Boston that
    graces the cover of the "Break Down the Walls" LP, you would
    probably be singing a different tune about this stuff...but
    you were home watching Voltron Star Blazers and eating pudding cups granola bars...

could be... i saw Leeway recently, and although i'm no fan of their records, they were a lotta fun live...

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

what about the adolecents their 1st lp was a classic & still is

"Amoeba" is a stone cold fox of a 45. I totally fucked up and traded it to Epicenter in 92 for something so lousy that it can't even be mentioned. I've been waiting for that 45 to fall in my lap for less than $20 ever since.

I pretty much sold all of my skatepunk records (Faction, McRad, Drunk Injuns, etc) around the same time and totally regret it. Recently scored JFA's "Beach Blanket Bongout" for a buck and will YSI it to anyone who needs to relive via PM.

And if anyone has a spare Skatemaster Tate 12 that they want to part with cheap, check in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Co-sign on Verbal Assault ... seeing them open
    for (then-still-fronted-by-Dave-Smalley) Dag Nasty
    in 1987 was one of the best times of my entire life.
    KILLER show.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

iand while i like Minor Threat (ALOT), streamlining their sound and adding these jock elements and homoerotic overtones is not my thing...

funny shit... most HC bands hated the jock shit, listen to 7seconds i hate sports...

also ignite sucked & was late to the game...
    they had 3 singers all of which sucked... one being my old bands singer...

before there was uniform choice, there was unity who only released one 7" & its dope... they started wishing well records which put out a YOT album & helped mr. capo pay for some chicks abortion on the DL...

boston HC slapshot nuff said...

couple things...

first, Pat Dunbar from Uniform Choice played varsity baseball at Pepperdine (one of the best college baseball programs in the country at the time), so i stand by what i said about bands from that time period being more jock...

second, you saying "Ignite sucked and was late to that game" is kinda silly, b/c

a)i already said that
    b) all you are doing is repeating the exact same argument i used on mid to late 80's hardcore on early 90's hardcore... to me, compared to 80-86 stuff, it all sucked and it's all late to the game...

lastly, i love Slapshot (choke gave me a free haircut at vidal sasson!), seen 'em twice, but I love SSD more...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Been away from SS for a few days & too tired to read all the new stuff, but all I can say about SSD is "Get It Away" was the fucking record! Out of all the punk & hardcore records I no longer have, I really miss that one. Damn what a amazing record.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here's some of my old 7"s. I dug these out & then realised that most of the stuff mentioned in this thread is in storage at my parent's place. Anyways, some of the late 80s/1990 stuff in this photo is way cool still & I will still pick this stuff up cheap if I see it around. Discuss if you want....

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Classic B0mp

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    SST had the stronger line up. But Dischord never sold out like (SST leaving negative land high and dry in the U2 lawsuit. )
    Black Flag vs Fugazi I mean who wants to choose really both amazing bands.