if you opened up for Mix Master Mike...

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
what would you play? me and 3 friends had the opportunity to open up for MMM last friday. it was a blast. 1200 people came out and filled up a club here in town that i have never seen reach capacity. it was the most people i played for, and it was real dope. i played some classic standards, kinda played it safe i guess. my partners played some more recent stuff for the most part. none of us were heavy on the scratch or juggles, as MMM was there to do that. we just got everybody hype and kinda started a party, basically. pretty much everybody we have talked to since has praised us for getting it hype and starting the party. the show rep told me they went to norfolk, va the next night and only had 250 people come out with a scratch DJ playing chill records, and it was not that hype. she said the DJ was good and all, but he just didnt get em up like we had the night before.so blah blah blah, everything is chill. then a fellow DJ "friend" of ours sent us a message basically totally shitting on us and the job we did. saying we should have played beastie boys songs, and scratched and juggled the whole time, or at least some i guess. said we were an embarrassment to richmond hip hop and shit. i know he hates new rap, so that was expected, but me, i'm just like, i wouldn't play a beastie boys track at a MMM show cuz thats like having a beastie boy cover band open up for the beastie boys. scratching and juggling before MMM is like doing a guitar solo before jimi hendrix takes the stage. at least thats how i look at it i guess.we weren't there to show off, we were there to warm the crowd up. i mean, i am comfortable with the job we did and if we had to do it again i would have done everything the same(minus a few heineken's and that shot of jager).so, WWSSD?(what would soulstrut do?)

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    so, WWSSD?(what would soulstrut do?)

Bury the critic in a hail of graemlins and race-bating put-downs.

Seriously, though, it sounds like you did the right thing with your set versus trying to be MMM Jr. or something.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think your friend is probably jelly that you got the spot. Ask yourself, do you trust one salty DJ dude or 2500 happy partygoers?

Doing a juggle routine in 2006 gets the gasface, I don't care who you are.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if you got paid, and made the person paying you happy, then mission accomplished.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    I think your friend is probably jelly that you got the spot. Ask yourself, do you trust one salty DJ dude or 2500 happy partygoers?

thats pretty much what i am feeling. dude went so far as to post a blog on his myspace paging crapping on us.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Sounds like you did the right thing to me. I mean unless you had skills on par with MMM it would be kind of lame to cut and juggle your whole set. I mean Mix Master Mike puts on a good stage show. He gets crazy and everyone watches. At a club people want to dance too though. If you had spent the whole time playing chill records and scratching people would have gotten really board by the time MMM started up. I mean, it sounds like yall did your job. Don't stress the hatters. At least one person out of evrey crowed will hate what you do, but if the majority were feeling it then its all good.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

thats pretty much what i am feeling. dude went so far as to post a blog on his myspace paging crapping on us.
    who was this??? public blast is

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

although a little juggle here and there doesn't hurt...but then again, before mmm is going on stage? pulleeezze...hold your horses...

on a related note, there was a master ace show a few years ago in cologne and the warm up dj played nothing but master ace records. To this day i still don't know if that's genius or straight dumb....

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    if you got paid, and made the person paying you happy, then mission accomplished.

exactly. the show rep told you that you were on point, end of story.

POST THE LINK OR YOU ARE SOFT!

Dude, an embarassment to richmond hip-hop?? That's like "you disgraced the entire Santa Fe reggae scene."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I wouldn't want to hear you play the Beasties nor do any juggles, but I'd still have to see your playlist to determine if you acted like an embarrassment to Richmond hip-hop or not.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Dude, an embarassment to richmond hip-hop?? That's like "you disgraced the entire Santa Fe reggae scene."
    hey now!!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Sounds like you did the right thing to me. I mean unless you had skills on par with MMM it would be kind of lame to cut and juggle your whole set. I mean Mix Master Mike puts on a good stage show. He gets crazy and everyone watches. At a club people want to dance too though. If you had spent the whole time playing chill records and scratching people would have gotten really board by the time MMM started up. I mean, it sounds like yall did your job. Don't stress the hatters. At least one person out of evrey crowed will hate what you do, but if the majority were feeling it then its all good.

no doubt. i feel you. it goes back to the whole arguement of playing for the 5 DJs in the room, or to the other 1195 people.

getting dissed never feels good though, just had to get a little backing from my fam here.

i am waiting on dude's partner(a soulstrut regular) to weigh in with his opinion of the show...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

lol, thats kind of on point.

• Jazz_OneJazz_One 55 Posts
    Is this friend a Strutter? Got to be by the sound of the critique. What's his username?

then a fellow DJ "friend" of ours sent us a message basically totally shitting on us and the job we did.

hey now!!!

nah I mean no disrespect to VA! But you know what I mean, Tom, I'm sure people are prolly like "man that dude Tom Thumz went up north and got all big headed."

I encounter the same shit when I'm at home in the Bay.

Btw, Santa Fe may have a serious reggae scene, I just thought it was a weak diss.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

no doubt. i feel you. it goes back to the whole arguement of playing for the 5 DJs in the room, or to the other 1195 people.

getting dissed never feels good though, just had to get a little backing from my fam here.

i am waiting on dude's partner(a soulstrut regular) to weigh in with his opinion of the show...
    oh, so it was James???? go figure.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    I wouldn't want to hear you play the Beasties nor do any juggles, but I'd still have to see your playlist to determine if you acted like an embarrassment to Richmond hip-hop or not.

from what i can remember one of my sets was something like:

"they want efx"
    "choice is yours"
    "t.r.o.y."

you know, shit like that.

my boys played a lot of current stuff. you know, pretty much everything we would play at a hip hop party.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

ding ding ding

check it

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

hey now!!!

nah I mean no disrespect to VA! But you know what I mean, Tom, I'm sure people are prolly like "man that dude Tom Thumz went up north and got all big headed."

Btw, Santa Fe may have a serious reggae scene, I just thought it was a weak diss.
    john, not for nothin, but it's exactly the opposite. nyc has made me soft. when i lived in va, i thought i was the shit. now i feel miniscule.

was the issue with the current hip-hop?

Sounds like you played a pretty safe "true school" set, I mean I guess one could say "damn that was too safe" but how are you gonna be mad at golden-era shit.

Now if your partners were playing Dipset and The Game and shit, then yeah you will earn the eternal ire of salty underground hip-hoppers the world over!

Which, btw, is why nobody likes underground hip-hop anymore.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Playing beasties songs before their dj goes on is exactly what you shouldn't have done. I've never seen MMM in person, but i caught Dj Hurricane in '99 and he opened up with a set of Beasties.

• Bury the critic in a hail of graemlins

Y'all are funny today!

Jonny, LOL at Santa Fe reggae scene

THERE ARE THOSE AMONGST US WHO SPEAK ON WHAT THEY DONT KNOE.

Ha-Ha

Also LOL at Ganksta Marco

Also, DUDE, post the HATTAR's myspace page or your soft like
    princess and the pea's pillowtop.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    your "frond" is adverse to dancing, he also wears LRG doesn't he?

hey now!!!

john, not for nothin, but it's exactly the opposite. nyc has made me soft. when i lived in va, i thought i was the shit. now i feel miniscule.

I was just referring to the percieved-bigheadsyndrome that hometowns tend to get when you move on to a bigger city. NYC makes me feel soft too but I know for a fact my game is stepped up 500%, I'm sure that's true for you too.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    was the issue with the current hip-hop?

Sounds like you played a pretty safe "true school" set, I mean I guess one could say "damn that was too safe" but how are you gonna be mad at golden-era shit.

Now if your partners were playing Dipset and The Game and shit, then yeah you will earn the eternal ire of salty underground hip-hoppers the world over!

Which, btw, is why nobody likes underground hip-hop anymore.

yeah no doubt. i figure he was probably hating on my safe set(i knew it was safe, thats why i played it) plus the fact that we were playing current shit=the hatred.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

ding ding ding

check it
    "What the hell was that garbage that you call djing on Sat. night @ the Mix Master Mike show? That was beyond disappointing. You guys made fools of Richmond Hip Hop and i am amazed. There is no excuse for the way you represented our city or hip hop.

They didn't scratch, they didn't blend, they didn't juggle, and even worse they didn't play one MMM or Beastie Boys song.

and anyone who tells you that ya'll did a good job on Sat. night is FUCKING IGNORANT."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! jelly city, baby. it's one of the main reasons i left.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, VA is definitely for haters. i love it here though. thats fuckin inspiration if you ask me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "whateverhappenedtotherealnessfrombackinthepast???"