if you opened up for Mix Master Mike...

Comments

• i have never heard of an artist who wants thier music or amalgamations of their music (i.e. beastie boys in this case) played right before they go on. i would suspect most would probably look down on it.

In my time as a concert promoter I actually had many requests, and even rider requirements, from artists who did not want the opening dj to play any of their music prior to the performance. It makes sense, because it sort of diminishes the expectation of seing the songs played live.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I think your friend is probably jelly that you got the spot. Ask yourself, do you trust one salty DJ dude or 2500 happy partygoers?

Doing a juggle routine in 2006 gets the gasface, I don't care who you are.

thats pretty much what i am feeling. dude went so far as to post a blog on his myspace paging crapping on us.

POST THE LINK OR YOU ARE SOFT!

Dude, an embarassment to richmond hip-hop?? That's like "you disgraced the entire Santa Fe reggae scene."

HAHAHA dude, what's not funny about that is the reggae sunsplash tour hits santa fe every year, they got some deep ass reggae heads there. trust.

but funny anyways

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think your friend is probably jelly that you got the spot. Ask yourself, do you trust one salty DJ dude or 2500 happy partygoers?

Doing a juggle routine in 2006 gets the gasface, I don't care who you are.

thats pretty much what i am feeling. dude went so far as to post a blog on his myspace paging crapping on us.

POST THE LINK OR YOU ARE SOFT!

Dude, an embarassment to richmond hip-hop?? That's like "you disgraced the entire Santa Fe reggae scene."

HAHAHA dude, what's not funny about that is the reggae sunsplash tour hits santa fe every year, they got some deep ass reggae heads there. trust.

but funny anyways

Nah i know, I was gonna say Vermont or Sacramento but there's serious reggae heads there too...

OK NORTH DAKOTA REGGAE SCENE

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    whoa, didnt know this thread would go here. hahahaa. funny. hopefully dj barnacles will come on and explain his point of view. i think that might liven up the conversation a little. or his homie mordecai. where you at?

man.

i slowly scrolled through this 3 pager thinking they would come on here and back that shit up. what a bunch of fucking pussies!

but, i don't think it's a good look to keep checking your email during your sets. i mean, at least pretend like you wanna be there.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

but, i don't think it's a good look to keep checking your email during your sets. i mean, at least pretend like you wanna be there.

yeah, their wireless connect was mad slow, kinda pissed me off...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i slowly scrolled through this 3 pager thinking they would come on here and back that shit up. what a bunch of fucking pussies!
    not sure what I should say yet.
    i'm not the guy that made the comment.
    i've been DJ'ing with Barnacles since 1999. we taught each other and still teach each other. we have similar views on some points, we disagree on others. we don't share a brain.
    He often says things quickly without thinking much about it.
    i will say that yes, jealousy probably played a role in that comment, as I know Barnacles (and I) have been long-time fans of MMM.

...but it mostly stems from disagreement on taste.
    i don't think i was there for "TROY" or some of the other classics, but i was there for "Choice Is Yours" and then I heard MMM play it too. i was also there for "Let Me Clear My Throat" and heard MMM drop it too.
    MMM played one Beastie Boys track ("Brass Monkey") and I don't think he played any of his own tunes minus some Serato home blends/production. I also think its weak to play a bunch of tracks by the artist about to perform. I think Barnacles point was guessing that the crowd would have preferred stuff more in line with the purchases of a MMM fan than songs like "Kryptonite" and "I'm A Hustler".

i also think the opening DJ's had too much to drink or something as did a lot of the crowd in the middle section.
    i thought the "go-go dancers" (Hooters-like wannabe strippers) on stage weren't adding much to the experience either...and the girls I talked to also found it degrading.
    Maybe from the stage you felt like you were rockin' it cause the middle section was nodding their heads to the songs that get overplayed on the radio (frat guys), but there was a good majority of the crowd at the bar, pool tables, all around, and downstairs (punk rockers, backpackers, hipsters, etc) that I think wanted to hear something different than commercial rap or at least some skills flexed to warm them up to MMM. It doesn't have to be "chill beats" or "turntablism" or whatever... but I think people are more open-minded than maybe you guys were giving them credit for.

i'm really not trying to get into any e-beef, but mesh asked for my opinion of the show.[/b]
    ...i guess i missed the classics set, but we did catch a good 2 hours or so of songs none of us like (Montell Jordan? mesh knows how i feel on this one already). I think the crowd could have been rocked to just about anything as it was a free show and a lot of them spent their extra $$ on alcohol. So, why not play something besides the same repetitive, uncreative bullshit the radios play? I mean if you do have to go that route, fuck it up. Yeh, your not MMM, but you can scratch, blend, double-up (juggles aren't necessary, but i know you can do them) and basically keep everyone guessing.

i'm not so sure that all the people here would be agreeing that you guys played what a crowd at a MMM show would want to hear, if you can recall some of the last 10-20 songs played before MMM hit the stage.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the crowd would have preferred stuff more in line with the purchases of a MMM fan than songs like "Kryptonite" and "I'm A Hustler".

disconnected from the streets???????

i kid, i kid, but seriously, i thnk that for that type of show, the job of the opening dj is just to get the crowd hyped thru song selection, not to do too many dj tricks... that's what MMM is there for... and while you may think they may have played it a bit safe, that's their perogative... i also hate being in that situation where if you wanna play some club hip hop, indie rockers and backpackers act you just took out your dick at their grandmother's funeral... (i also hate it when thugs and paris hilton wannabees request club hip hop when i wanna play Souls of Mischief, so go figure...)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    took out your dick at their grandmother's funeral

Eloquent as ever.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Btw, Santa Fe may have a serious reggae scene, I just thought it was a weak diss.

Actually, its pretty much all bluegrass/blues/ right now...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    not sure what I should say yet.

i'm not the guy that made the comment.
    i've been DJ'ing with Barnacles since 1999. we taught each other and still teach each other. we have similar views on some points, we disagree on others. we don't share a brain.
    He often says things quickly without thinking much about it.
    i will say that yes, jealousy probably played a role in that comment, as I know Barnacles (and I) have been long-time fans of MMM.

...but it mostly stems from disagreement on taste.
    i don't think i was there for "TROY" or some of the other classics, but i was there for "Choice Is Yours" and then I heard MMM play it too. i was also there for "Let Me Clear My Throat" and heard MMM drop it too.
    MMM played one Beastie Boys track ("Brass Monkey") and I don't think he played any of his own tunes minus some Serato home blends/production. I also think its weak to play a bunch of tracks by the artist about to perform. I think Barnacles point was guessing that the crowd would have preferred stuff more in line with the purchases of a MMM fan than songs like "Kryptonite" and "I'm A Hustler".

i also think the opening DJ's had too much to drink or something as did a lot of the crowd in the middle section.
    i thought the "go-go dancers" (Hooters-like wannabe strippers) on stage weren't adding much to the experience either...and the girls I talked to also found it degrading.
    Maybe from the stage you felt like you were rockin' it cause the middle section was nodding their heads to the songs that get overplayed on the radio (frat guys), but there was a good majority of the crowd at the bar, pool tables, all around, and downstairs (punk rockers, backpackers, hipsters, etc) that I think wanted to hear something different than commercial rap or at least some skills flexed to warm them up to MMM. It doesn't have to be "chill beats" or "turntablism" or whatever... but I think people are more open-minded than maybe you guys were giving them credit for.

i'm really not trying to get into any e-beef, but mesh asked for my opinion of the show.[/b]
    ...i guess i missed the classics set, but we did catch a good 2 hours or so of songs none of us like (Montell Jordan? mesh knows how i feel on this one already). I think the crowd could have been rocked to just about anything as it was a free show and a lot of them spent their extra $$ on alcohol. So, why not play something besides the same repetitive, uncreative bullshit the radios play? I mean if you do have to go that route, fuck it up. Yeh, your not MMM, but you can scratch, blend, double-up (juggles aren't necessary, but i know you can do them) and basically keep everyone guessing.

i'm not so sure that all the people here would be agreeing that you guys played what a crowd at a MMM show would want to hear, if you can recall some of the last 10-20 songs played before MMM hit the stage.

saul good man, thats why i wanted you to weigh in. i know you wouldn't verbalize your dislike as loud and proud as your man. i also know you probably weren't feelin our set. but to be honest, we weren't playing for you. we were playing for the people right in front of us, as we always do. i aint trying to bring the dude playing pool with a backpack on to the front of the stage so he can ice grill me for 2 hours. i want people to party. thats just how i dj these days. get it hyphy.

hey, i will be the first to admit we played some easy hits, i already said that at the beginning.

i can personally attest to too much to drink(admitted to that one in the beginning, too) but i know JAZ was not drunk at all. im pretty sure the front of the crowd was on our level. i didn't hear a single boo or get any ice grillz from anybody so we thats why kept it in the direction we kept it.

i have to repsectfully disagree about the scratching. not my place to do it before MMM comes on. i would have looked like a toy IMO. i can chirp and stab and do some other shits, but to me its ridiculous to try and do that before one of the best in the world is coming out to do it in a little while. my opinion, thats all.

i aint mad at ya man. and i aint really that mad at b, but i think it was pretty toy to send us a shitball message and post a blog up totally crapping on us. i wouldn't do that to you guys if i didn't like one of your events(some of which i haven't really liked in the past). but thats me.

you guys do what your gonna do. we're gonna do what we do. i guess thats why we never do events together anymore, huh?

be easy, see you at the masta ace show.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dude you should of scratch and juggled, and better yet, you should have summoned those UFOs MMM used to communicate with..you should have had them land in the club and made the little aliens come out of the UFO and start breakdancing..that would have been the only true "hip hop" way to warm that crowd up.

I kid, I kid.

that hatter dude has a sore pussy.

i'm very disappointed in you and your boy. this attitude is at best immature and at worst counterproductive. so you should just step off. you ain't all that and neither is richmatic. (neither am i, for sure). but if we all stuck together, we could really make this scene take off. richmond has a lot of potential. nothing will evar happen with this attitude though. the choice is yours.

saul good man, thats why i wanted you to weigh in. i know you wouldn't verbalize your dislike as loud and proud as your man. i also know you probably weren't feelin our set. but to be honest, we weren't playing for you. we were playing for the people right in front of us, as we always do. i aint trying to bring the dude playing pool with a backpack on to the front of the stage so he can ice grill me for 2 hours. i want people to party. thats just how i dj these days. get it hyphy.

hey, i will be the first to admit we played some easy hits, i already said that at the beginning.

i can personally attest to too much to drink(admitted to that one in the beginning, too) but i know JAZ was not drunk at all. im pretty sure the front of the crowd was on our level. i didn't hear a single boo or get any ice grillz from anybody so we thats why kept it in the direction we kept it.

I'm not saying it has to be "chill"...the music can still be hype without being commercial. I think there is a middle ground that could have worked. Classics are great...I have no beef with that.

i have to repsectfully disagree about the scratching. not my place to do it before MMM comes on. i would have looked like a toy IMO. i can chirp and stab and do some other shits, but to me its ridiculous to try and do that before one of the best in the world is coming out to do it in a little while. my opinion, thats all.
    I understand your view here completely, but to me (and most likely B as well) if you are going to play commercial stuff, the only way to keep us interested is to cut it up a bit ...and I know you are capable. it doesn't have to be laser scribbles or whatever but I think some chirps and stabs would be a nice touch. Yeh, thats the "DJ seeing another DJ" in me, but there were a significant number of DJ's in the place besides us.

i aint mad at ya man. and i aint really that mad at b, but i think it was pretty toy to send us a shitball message and post a blog up totally crapping on us. i wouldn't do that to you guys if i didn't like one of your events(some of which i haven't really liked in the past). but thats me.
    True. It wasn't phrased delicately and it was semi-public which is kinda weaksauce.

i'm very disappointed in you and your boy. this attitude is at best immature and at worst counterproductive. so you should just step off. you ain't all that and neither is richmatic. (neither am i, for sure). but if we all stuck together, we could really make this scene take off. richmond has a lot of potential. nothing will evar happen with this attitude though. the choice is yours.
    Not quite sure what you are disappointed with me about. I went to see MMM who came up thru the underground hip-hop scene on the West coast. Sorry if I wanted to hear some hip-hop rather than new rap radio b.s. I don't think I'm "all that" or whatever. Dude asked my opinion of the show and so I said it. I'm definitely about building the hip-hop scene here, so we aren't the North Dakota Reggae of the hip-hop world.

What should he have played? (plaese name names).

Not trying to start beef, I am really curious. I don't even know what underground records are happening these days. At least, enough to fill an hour or two in a set.

Also, the whole attitude of "building up the scene" or whatever, I don't know about others watching this but to me it's like nails on a chalkboard... it seems kind of like the kid who doesn't want to be seen with his mom walking down the street. Like now MMM isn't gonna come back or the scene won't pop because someone played "Kryptonite"?

My 2...

Not quite sure what you are disappointed with me about.

Yes you are. Don't be silly. Have you no shame? How old are you? Do you really think people give a fuck about your conservative golden era fetishes? I guess you'll show me how it's done at your Masta Ace show. We'll see.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    * Engaging your audience in 15m call & response sessions about which part of the room "real hip hop" is residing in tonight.

gee, has someone seen De La Soul live?

Heh, saw them about three or four months ago and that's just how it was. It got so boring that one of our party started calling back with pirate cries of "Aaaaaarrrgh!" and although he got a lot of death ray looks from the stage by the end of the show the rest of the club were all shouting like pirates too. De la looked kind of confused. Made the show more fun though.

• i don't think i was there for "TROY"

i was there for "Choice Is Yours"

You act like one of these songs is played out and the other isn't, like they somehow exist in mutually exclusive musical universes, each accessible only via magical golden backpack flights.

You and your man sound ridiculous with this whole thing.

accessible only via magical golden backpack flights

YOUNG_PHONICS LOCATIONS REVEALED!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    skills flexed

This thread is great--a new SoulStrut classic!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    this is still going on, huh?... why so much crticism put into such a small portion of the evening? especially when noone else even gives a fuck about what you guys have to say?

dudes are acting like the joan rivers of hip-hop or some shit.

How old are you?

Do you really think people give a fuck about your conservative golden era fetishes?
    no, but mesh asked my opinion of the night, so I gave it.

i don't think i was there for "TROY"
    You act like one of these songs is played out and the other isn't...
    not sure what gave that impression. i don't really think either is played out. i have no problems with classics. i love em.

You and your man sound ridiculous with this whole thing.
    yeh, i don't really like the way i'm coming across.

skills flexed
    This thread is great--a new SoulStrut classic!
    that was for you.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have Djed with everyone involved in this. I've done stuff with the Richmattic djs and I've done the radio show with Mord and Barnacles. I think yall are all good dj's you just do different things and are coming from different places. Look Fatback is right there are a lot of opportunities in this town and plenty of dj gigs. A crowd at UofR probably doesn't want to hear radio hip hop, but a crowed in the bottom probably does. I don't really like "play that funky music", but when Mesh and I djed my company Christmas party we played it because its what drunk balding tech support dudes wanted to hear. If you are not willing to play what people want to hear don't dj that gig, I know what it feels like to stand in the back of a club and get all bitter because the dj is playing crap, but I also know it feels a lot better to stop giving a shit and have fun.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    stop giving a shit and have fun.

see, i figured that out a couple of years ago and have since been adjusting my DJ sets to reflect that thought process.

now let's dead this thread. the point has been made, and i got the support i was looking for. mordecai is a good dude, lets not forget that. everybody is entitled to their opinions.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    mordecai is a good dude

so is james, btw. some questionable moves made, but who am i to talk.

mordecai is a good dude

you sure you don't want me to tell Barnacles about this thread? that could give us another 5 pages.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    mordecai is a good dude

you sure you don't want me to tell Barnacles about this thread?
    that could give us another 5 pages.

I am kind of suprised he hasn't seen it what with all of the SS people posting on his myspace blog.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Over analyzation - maybe ? Shall there be a battle between the two crews? It be another "cool party" at least.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    mordecai is a good dude

you sure you don't want me to tell Barnacles about this thread?
    that could give us another 5 pages.

yeah, i thought you would have, too. but whatever.

but again, i was trying to end this sucker a couple posts ago. the point has been made, its over IMO.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i don't think i was there for "TROY"
    You act like one of these songs is played out and the other isn't...
    not sure what gave that impression. i don't really think either is played out. i have no problems with classics. i love em.

Um, can't we all agree that both of these songs are played out?

I like 'em as much as the next man - sweated them when they were new -
    but by now they must be in the top 20 of songs I never ever need to hear again.

• bwhenbwhen 1 Post
    ay..I'm the new guy..actually I was one of them djs that rocked this party. yea I know i'm late, but my profile just got approved.

Here is MY 2 i mean 50 cents:

Yea I rocked dem franchise boys, d4l, Jeezy, 50, etc....

I also rocked biggie, jay, and Mobb Deep. also played some dancehall...

now picture this, us 4 are doing 15 minute sets each from 9pm to 12:30am where we were conastantly rotating, in my opinion the best time I had djing EVER.

Okay so I leave j.a.z with a joint from dem franchise boys, jaz leaves mesh a joint from the youngbloods, mesh leaves krames with that ill ass prince joint, and krames leaves me with welcome to jamrock..

what the f. you think ima drop now? definately not mf doom..although I love some doom

of course Ima drop something I think will get it even hyper.

SO this was the context of the whole time we were performing on stage.

easy