Blue Velvet appreciation

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this is the only Lynch movie ive seen. have i been sleeping?

Twin Peaks

Am I the only one here that hated 'Twin Peaks' and thinks David Lynch is a pretentious fraud????

I think that he is for the most part a pretentious fraud, but I did really like both Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. I haven't seen either one since eighth grade, though, so I don't know how I'd feel about them now. I was really into "Twin Peaks" at that time, too, which is how I discovered him.

• I'm dj'ing a wedding off of Bainbridge Island in Washington this summer.. it's being held at the same place where Twin Peaks was filmed. The beach where Laura Palmer's body was found is right there ("she's dead.. wrapped in plastic").. and the ceremony is being held in the lodge.

I'm hoping the Log Lady will make an appearance.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    cmon guys... how could you forget:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    cmon guys... how could you forget:

This must count as one of the biggest missed chances in the history of cinema.
    Can you imagine what would have happened if Jodorowski would have finnished that and someone would have given him money to burn?

Very sad...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my boy is really good at imitating that weird sad clown face that sandy makes when she sees dorothy hugging on jeffrey all naked.

yeah this movie rules. i think that opening sequence is brilliant. it's like underneath the veneer of this perfect suburban small town there lies a bloody severed ear covered with ants!

pure gold.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I also recommend reading David Foster Wallace's essay on Lynch in this book.

you know someone is the shit when their style and vision is so distinctive that their last name commonly gets used as an adjective (i.e. Lynchian, Kafkaesque, Orwellian, etc)

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i think Blue Velvet is a movie that is about MUCH more than meets the eye. theres some DEEp shit goin on in that movie and TONS of symbolism

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i think Blue Velvet is a movie that is about MUCH more than meets the eye. theres some DEEp shit goin on in that movie and TONS of symbolism

prepare yourself for all the stuff mentioned above and finish it off with FIRE WALK WITH ME.

oh shit i didnt even read Coma Toasts essay. DOPE

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned Lost Highway yet?

Hell, I even liked his disney movie, The Straight Story.

The pilot for Twin Peaks is my shit though.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    you guys are buggin'! Twin Peaks is "that heat"!!!

Man, I spent 40 bucks on that season dvd cause I like most of his flicks, but Twin Peaks sucked donkey. You dont even find out who the killer is. I know its some famous cliffhanger, but whatever. It kind of reminds me Alias or Lost or something. Nothing acutally happens. Killing time. But much better characters and acting.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

This must count as one of the biggest missed chances in the history of cinema.
    Can you imagine what would have happened if Jodorowski would have finnished that and someone would have given him money to burn?

Very sad...

TRUE DAT! Jodorowsky's Dune would have been.....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Hell, I even liked his disney movie, The Straight Story.

That was a good movie. I saw it like the one day it was in theaters.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You dont even find out who the killer is.

He's a disembodied spirit by the name of BOB who is capable of possessing people and ultimately comes to possess Kyle McClachlin... it seemed pretty clear to me.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

He's a disembodied spirit by the name of BOB who is capable of possessing people and ultimately comes to possess Kyle McClachlin... it seemed pretty clear to me.

yeah, I mean, DUH!!!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

How's Annie?

How's Annie??

HOW'S ANNIE??????????????

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

How's Annie?

How's Annie??

HOW'S ANNIE??????????????

I guess I missed it. Maybe I was too stoney or not enough.

• I got pretty into Twin Peaks when I first moved out to Seattle in 97--it rained for like 3 months straight, so we drank whiskey and watched every episode. The next summer, we went to the David Lynch Film Festival at the museum, where my homegirl got hit on (in an extremely otherworldly way--for a second I thought he was really talking backwards) by the midget dude. GARMANBOZIA

who really is the villain in Blue Velvet? Frank is played up as the evil one, but Jeffrey is more of a manipulator, he cheats on his girlfriend with a married woman, and he actually kills someone, so who really is the bad guy? hmmmmmmmm

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    who really is the villain in Blue Velvet? Frank is played up as the evil one, but Jeffrey is more of a manipulator, he cheats on his girlfriend with a married woman, and he actually kills someone, so who really is the bad guy? hmmmmmmmm

Evil is the enemy within.

don't tell me you didn't know...

got that. one thing that confused me the most, was at the end when Jeffrey went back to Dorothy's house and the yellow man was there. he was all fucked up. what happened to him?

• got that. one thing that confused me the most, was at the end when Jeffrey went back to Dorothy's house and the yellow man was there. he was all fucked up. what happened to him?

That was some creepy shit right there...

SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT! i just watched this movie again and cant figure out what happened to the yellow man. did Frank hit him with the TV?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The_Mack may want to check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090756/ for said answer that may or may not be on the message board.HAPPY READING.