Cooking Strut?

Comments

• Could be a little far fetched but it seems to me most DJs or musicians I know are into food, in an epicurean way. Either excellent cooks or gourmets. There might be a corelation between food appreciation and music appreciation.

Definitely.
    Speaking for myself: my childhood dream was to become a chef (ended up having a masters in communications instead). Loads of dj's / collectors i know are deep into their food (and drink as well)

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    to my knowledge, risottos are pre-prepped to a certain step, then once ordered it'll be finished by adding the final last amount of stock and stirring it in until it evaporates.

as in most restaurant cooking, a lot of preparation steps are taken before service opens. Also most menus are designed around efficient turnaround times.

that's what I figured... I thought chefs would have better things to do than stir risotto for half an hour!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Could be a little far fetched but it seems to me most DJs or musicians I know are into food, in an epicurean way. Either excellent cooks or gourmets. There might be a corelation between food appreciation and music appreciation.

Definitely.
    Speaking for myself: my childhood dream was to become a chef (ended up having a masters in communications instead). Loads of dj's / collectors i know are deep into their food (and drink as well)

Yeah I was baking texas brownies from scratch at age 7 and i was convinced from that age until about 14 that I would be going to the NY Culinary Institute (or whatever it's called) after High School and go on to become a chef at a nice restaurant in NY somewhere. Of course I dropped out of high school and got into art and then soon after music-making and here I am. halfway sick of music wishing I had followed my childhood dreams. ha! nah i'm happy with where i'm at. but damn if cooking don't sound like a great thing to be into again! it's like choppin' up breaks, but choppin' up carrots instead. i always made food analogies with music too. makes sense.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I figure this is as good as any thread for me to get my nerd on.....

I just got reservations for fronch laundry today, mad hyphy son!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I just landed a chef's job at the Black Whale seafood restaurant in Beach Haven, NJ after spending 7 years cooking at Mud City Crabhouse in Manahawkin, NJ So if any of you heads are heading to the jersey shore (long beach island) this summer hit me up for some eats. After cooking mostly seafood all summer I like to make dishes that I wouldn't serve there. Such as osso bucco with rissoto (mmmm bitch) Slow cooked types of food. For inspiration I like to check out some cookbooks. Here's three I recommend.

1. Susanna Foo - Chinese Cuisine (I love this cookbook)
    2. Rick Bayless - mexican kitchen
    3. Jean-Georges - cooking at home with a four star chef

There's three to get you started. One thing about being a cook is that it interfere's with my digging. But I'll be rocking tunes in the kitchen!

Hey I've always wondered something - do restaurants really make risotto from scratch after you order it? Seems like it would take too long, and since I try to avoid a half-assed version, I never order it. What really happens?

I worked at a Jewish country club and we did dinners on select nights and the menu's always changed. When we made risotto we made it from scratch and cooked it til it was almost done. Then we kept it on the hot line til dinner was over. Then we fed the help with the leftovers. My wife loved when I brought home left overs from that place. All kinds of stuff. I remember for valentines day dinner we made a bunch of creme brulee. Not many people showed up. I remember scooping them out of there dishes into quart containers. Now that's a nice late night snack to find in the fridge. It always cracked me up when (mostly Italian) people came to the crabhouse and asked for their pasta al dente. Do they actually think we make the pasta to order at a seafood restaurant that always has a two hour wait and does takeout to boot.

I just landed a chef's job at the Black Whale seafood restaurant in Beach Haven, NJ after spending 7 years cooking at Mud City Crabhouse in Manahawkin, NJ So if any of you heads are heading to the jersey shore (long beach island) this summer hit me up for some eats. After cooking mostly seafood all summer I like to make dishes that I wouldn't serve there. Such as osso bucco with rissoto (mmmm bitch) Slow cooked types of food. For inspiration I like to check out some cookbooks. Here's three I recommend.

1. Susanna Foo - Chinese Cuisine (I love this cookbook)
    2. Rick Bayless - mexican kitchen
    3. Jean-Georges - cooking at home with a four star chef

There's three to get you started. One thing about being a cook is that it interfere's with my digging. But I'll be rocking tunes in the kitchen!

very interesting dude, how are you enjoying life as a chef? I always like talking shop w/ chef's, you dudes are a different breed that's for sure.

I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.

This is going to be the first kitchen where I'm the man so we'll see how it goes... My last restaurant I was the man but a lot of the responsibilities that a chef has was handled by the owner. I dig working in the restaurant business. It's a grind for sure but with winters off right now I can handle it. I don't know how some people do it year round with tons of hours. It's hard to maintain a healthy family life when working so much. I also like that kitches are so NOT pc. Human resorces at normal companies would had me in their offices for a "talk" a number of times. I'm sure I will let you guys know how I make out at my new position. I will have minions though....

Oh yea I like that cookbook...Anthony Bourdain cracks me up...he's definately a cook's cook. Even though I thinks he hams it up a little...get it ham

• I figure this is as good as any thread for me to get my nerd on.....

Congrats, mang. Thomas Keller is a major influence on the way I think about things...Like, way more than food, but philosophies on how to live elegantly without being wasteful. Post a report (all 9 courses) or your soft.

I figure this is as good as any thread for me to get my nerd on.....

Congrats, mang. Thomas Keller is a major influence on the way I think about things...Like, way more than food, but philosophies on how to live elegantly without being wasteful. Post a report (all 9 courses) or your soft.

cosign

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I have heard that the DJ from Digital Underground (DJ Fuze?) and on of the Jungle Brothers have serious culinary backgrounds. Any other (semi)celebrity musicians with cooking credentials?

I have heard that the DJ from Digital Underground (DJ Fuze?) and on of the Jungle Brothers have serious culinary backgrounds. Any other (semi)celebrity musicians with cooking credentials?
    I remember watching bands where are they now and the bass player from Husker Du is a chef or maybe he owns and cooks at his restaurant.

• I have heard that the DJ from Digital Underground (DJ Fuze?) and on of the Jungle Brothers have serious culinary backgrounds. Any other (semi)celebrity musicians with cooking credentials?

Yeah, Fuze worked at Chez Panisse! He is about it. Who else do you know who can say he's cooked at a world-class restaurant AND was Tupac's DJ?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Carbonara

Alright, I have seen this dish fucked up so many times in the US it makes me ill. There is no cream or milk in it so if you ever see a recipe with that spit on it and flick your chin at it. It is easy to make, but it requires speed at the end. If you are a lily livered chef don't even bother you will fuck it up.

cousin,
    on point with the recipe, but some people (my alcoholic zio roberto) do choose to cook the pancetta in buttermilk...just to add some extra cholesterol.

this is one dish i do miss in my past decade of vegetarianism. sigh.

Could be a little far fetched but it seems to me most DJs or musicians I know are into food, in an epicurean way. Either excellent cooks or gourmets. There might be a corelation between food appreciation and music appreciation.

theres a couple kids at the high school that i work who are not afraid to try ANY food. they are the royal food tasters of my room and they get to try shit first (cause i know theyll tear it up). i think their open mindedness will lead to an open minded life in general...try new things, see the world, etc.

being vegetarian for a decade i can honestly say i've never been happier eating meat. it's taken me a long time since i started eating bird to be able to stomache steak and pork but i can do it now and life is so much better. food tastes better to me now than it ever has. quitting cigarettes also helped this. flavor is the shit.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    i think their open mindedness will lead to an open minded life in general...try new things, see the world, etc.

it really is a good barometer of someone's personality, I fully subscribe to this model.

actually my favourite question to ask folks is "How do you like your steak?"

there was a hiphop recipe book i saw around last year. nothing too fancy or crazy. lot of soulfood recipes, definitely some tasty little things going on.

my repertoire is strictly simple things, so i wont insult anyones palate by posting. sounds good though. keep cookin

i think their open mindedness will lead to an open minded life in general...try new things, see the world, etc.

it really is a good barometer of someone's personality, I fully subscribe to this model.

actually my favourite question to ask folks is "How do you like your steak?"

I get bummed when somebody orders a well done steak...well done brisket, yes. Well done steak

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the cow when I have to cook a steak well done.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    after reading this thread, i notice that the Chinese culture of cooking is sooo sooo different to thr western cooking, in a way that Chinese cooking really isn't as healthy or fresh aster all.

BUT i'm talking home cooking. Of course, you have the choice to go out to a mad classy Chinese cuisine where everything is guaranteed fresh and no oily sauces etc.

but anyway, i made chicken and pickles stir fry last nite. simply just atir fry the chicken breast cubes to light golden brown, add pickles and little bit of fresh chilli in, and Meggy Sauce (my new favourite) simmer for a minute or 2...and serve on dish with rice, DONE!

uh!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm cooking up a storm recently. Even starting buying some special pans and such for the job. I haven't cooked the same dish twice since X-mas if you can believe it.

Here's the last couple dishes I made:

Sausage Sandwiches

Beef With Balsamic Vinegar

Chicken In A Box

Chicken Stroganoff

Honey Drumsticks

Pancetta Tagliatelle Pasta

Pasta Shells With Veggies

Rigatoni, Zucchini & Sausage

Zucchini Soup With Pasta Shells

Sicilian Easter Soup

On the deck for the rest of this week:

Tortellini With Cheese Sauce

Mexican Pork Chops

Italian Chicken

Chicken With Sausage

• I figure this is as good as any thread for me to get my nerd on.....

Aser - I'm so jealous! Please to report when you get back and let me know of all the other adventures, culinary or otherwise. http://www.yelp.com is an interesting resource for "real person" reviews for spots in the bay and beyond.

B**an - You really shocked me with this thread. We've known each other for so long, and I never knew I had a fellow foodie in my midst. When we were at Jr's we should have been looking at Chez Panisse reservations

Joe loves to bbq and we recently did these steak burritos with marinated flank steak, roasted corn, and fresh guacamole.

Kula strawberries with creme

Lightly Seared Ahi belly with fresh mango/cilantro/jalepeno salsa

mock chicken salad

Pesto is essential. We grow our own basil now. 2 packed cups of basil, 2-3 teaspoons of pine nuts or mac nuts, and then I eyeball about 3/4 of a cup of parmaesan, 3-4 cloves of garlic, and olive oil to desired consistency. Blend in a food processor. Great on pasta, french bread, turkey sandwiches, etc.

crab and avacado stuffed tomatos

more later, with actual recipes....

anyone see top chef? it takes place in san francisco. the first episode was pretty good...

http://bravotv.com/Top_Chef/

• I love to cook. Never happier than when I've slapped a record on and are chopping up something in the kitchen. I love Caribbean food, and living in Bristol (has a big Jamaican population), it's pretty easy to pick up all the various ingredients that you can't find in the supermarket. Jerk chicken/pork/fish is always good, but I'll hit you off with something a bit different that you've got to try out - Mackerel rundown (serves two):

1) Take a decent sized pot and put in a tin of coconut milk, fill the tin just over half with water and toss that in too. Bring to the boil rapidly until the liquid looks like it's releasing some of it's oil and has reduced to about half.
    2) Cut some fresh mackerel fillets up into bite size chunks (skin on), while the liquid is reducing. You can use salt mackerel for this, but you'll need to soak it in water for 24 hours. Place these in the bubbling liquid.
    3) While that's simmering, chop up a few (3-4) spring onions (scallions), a scotch bonnet pepper, a couple cloves of garlic and a couple of fresh tomatoes.
    4) Put the stuff you've chopped in the pot, along with a pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper, a small dash of vinegar, a pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated if you have it) and some thyme (fresh or dried will do).
    5) Simmer for 10 minutes, then serve with cooked yam or plantain and dumplings (google some recipes for these), or rice and peas.

Rice and peas recipe:

1) take a large put with a tight fitting lid
    2) Put in a couple of cups of rice and a one and a half cups of vegetable stock, about 100ml of coconut cream (I use some of that stuff that comes in a hard block that you grate into hot water and mix until smooth), a tin of Gungo peas with the liquid from the tin (or red kidney beans if you can't get, but try and find gungo peas. 'cos they work better for this IMO), a pinch of dried - or a couple sprigs of fresh - thyme, some freshly ground black pepper, a bay leaf, a couple of finely chopped spring onions and a couple cloves of crushed garlic.
    3) Put the lid on the put and bring to a rapid boil, when it boils turn down heat to a high simmer for 15 minutes.
    4) when all liquid has been absorbed, turn off heat, leave lid on and sit for 10-15 minutes (essential, don't think about serving it without resting first).

...or if you have a rice cooker like I do, put all the above ingredients in, turn on and let it do its thing while you flip on Heart of the Congos and take it easy.

ENJOY!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the cow when I have to cook a steak well done.

i hate this. my wife likes it well done... ugh! ive finally got her to begin ordering medium well... whew! baby steps. we went to a nice steak spot and she ordered it well and the waiter was like "sorry miss, we cant give you that. thats a waste of the cooks time. medium well?" wasnt happy with the sarcasm but i did agree.

we got our drinks and dessert comped...

its 4:20a here in SF. i hate waking up in pain... argh! okay off to cook eggs, longanisa and rice for breakfast.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Carbonara

Alright, I have seen this dish fucked up so many times in the US it makes me ill. There is no cream or milk in it so if you ever see a recipe with that spit on it and flick your chin at it. It is easy to make, but it requires speed at the end. If you are a lily livered chef don't even bother you will fuck it up.

cousin,
    on point with the recipe, but some people (my alcoholic zio roberto) do choose to cook the pancetta in buttermilk...just to add some extra cholesterol.

Yeah, but the whole point IMO is for the pancetta to be crispy. Cooking it in buttermilk kills that. Can't really argue taste though.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    4 cans[/b] of veggie or chicken broth

Dude! Using canned stock is

Making an adequate chicken stock is ridiculously easy. Making a good chicken stock is more difficult, but well worth the practice it takes to perfect. I can share my recipe of people are interested.

My last, great pre-law school dish was a cantaloupe risotto developed from an old recipe originating in Pope Calixtus III's kitchen. It's really very lovely and not terribly difficult provided you have access to ripe, quality melons. Ideal for summer nights. I've got directions written somewhere and can look them up if folks are interested.

What else can I bring to the table...

It's seville orange season and I've been using these to make tarts, time permitting, but I've enjoyed them most in an orange sabayon. In lieu of marsala, which, horror of horrors, you cannot buy in the ENTIRE province of New Brunswick, I add the orange juice. You do need to be cautious because seville orange juice is awfully potent stuff and your sugar needs to be adjusted accordingly. Blood oranges, sadly no longer available out here, also work well and add really dramatic colour.

For the past months I've been making quinoa puddings for breakfast. It's high in protein, low in fat, and a perfect alternative to cereal, hot or cold. Preparation is easy: you whisk together a cup of milk, whatever fat content you like, brown sugar to taste, three eggs and a little vanilla. Grate in cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a cup of boiled quinoa, cooked until very fluffy, mix, and then stir in whatever nuts and dried fruit (ie currants) you like. Cook for approximately 40 minutes at 375 and you're in business. Keeps for several days no problem.

Friends, especially those of you eating at French Laundry, do not for a moment take for granted the joys of living in a place with good restaurants and good groceries. Neither of these are available here in Fredericton. I have trouble imagining a value system which permits a person to spend a life in a town without a single decent restaurant or a grocery store that isn't a big box place that sells apples from chile when local orchards produce some of the country's best varieties.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Yeah, but the whole point IMO is for the pancetta to be crispy. Cooking it in buttermilk kills that. Can't really argue taste though.

Not only should pancetta be crispy it should, if possible, be cured without chemicals. It shouldn't be hard to find real pancetta for most of you. I can't even find the lousy quality stuff where I live.

Not only should pancetta be crispy it should, if possible, be cured without chemicals. It shouldn't be hard to find real pancetta for most of you. I can't even find the lousy quality stuff where I live.

Yeah, its hard to find the real stuff, but so worth the extra cost. And cosign on the joy of having really good places to buy food. When I lived in Rome I could walk to a huge open air market and buy the freshest food I have ever had. Fresh pasta, bread, produce, meat and fish these things cost a lot more and are not nearly as easy to get in the US.

And I want your cantaloupe risotto recipe Danno.

I will trade you for my green onion & bree risotto.

B**an - You really shocked me with this thread. We've known each other for so long, and I never knew I had a fellow foodie in my midst. When we were at Jr's we should have been looking at Chez Panisse reservations

Joe loves to bbq and we recently did these steak burritos with marinated flank steak, roasted corn, and fresh guacamole.

Haha, yeah, secret pleasure I guess! I did fall off from the passion of cooking for a long while, but I still have always loved food. Yeah I could have driven us all there in Jr's car too since he was always too scare to drive lol. I think I put more miles on that guy's car driving around the bay than he did the entire time he owned it. When are you going to he bay again or cali or at least the mainland in general? I still need to get out to the islands!

It sounds like you guys are really moving it forward with the cooking. The barbecue sounds dope. Fresh pesto with homegrown basil sounds delicious! I can't wait til I have a place where I can grow an herb & chile garden. I live in the warehouse area downtown right now and there's barely dirt much less healthy soil to grow anything. If I did planters outside some bum would probably piss on them. haha. Next time I move, though, I'll probably be buying, so I'm gonna make sure the kitchen is tight and there's a spot to grow some herbs.

I am also addicted to the Food Network. I did see a bit of Top Chef the other night and it looked pretty good. It's not on Food Network though so I don't see it often. It's crazy how many cooking shows are on nowadays.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i hate this. my wife likes it well done... ugh! ive finally got her to begin ordering medium well... whew! baby steps.

Well, one problem I've run into is that so many places seem to define "medium well" as "still almost entirely raw," so I've kind of slid into the habit of ordering well done in order to get medium well, ya know? I do like steak to be more cooked than uncooked.

Also, cosign that there are few things doper than putting on a great record while preparing a great meal.

i hate this. my wife likes it well done... ugh! ive finally got her to begin ordering medium well... whew! baby steps.

Well, one problem I've run into is that so many places seem to define "medium well" as "still almost entirely raw," so I've kind of slid into the habit of ordering well done in order to get medium well, ya know? I do like steak to be more cooked than uncooked.

Also, cosign that there are few things doper than putting on a great record while preparing a great meal.

I used to split food with my roomate in collage. I would cook and he would do dishes. We would split the cost of food down the middle. It worked out great, because I love to cook and I hate dishes. One night I hooked up some nice NY Strip Steaks, we sit down to eat and he pours katchup all over the damn thing.