Cooking Strut?

124»

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

if you're really into the turtle thing, us chinaman have something that is best described as turtle jello. Besides turtle being the main component, It has various bits of chinese herbs/medicine so the taste is definitely acquired. It is a part of everyday life in HK as there're plenty of shops all over where you can get your bill cosby on.

In regards to recipes disappearing, one need not look any further than offal. Modernization and increase in wealth has led to the preference of prime cuts, leading less aesthetically pleasing bits squandered. It is a shame, but the problem starts young really. If parents are repulsed by such things, what chances do kids have to judge these wonderful bits on their own merits.

Unfortunately it's really too late for N. American food culture to reverse its trend.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Unfortunately it's really too late for N. American food culture to reverse its trend.

Although I've yet to meet any trip I enjoyed, I'm all about offal. It kills me that I can't find a reliable supply of sweetbreads (although there are kidneys for days). People who squirm at eating offal are lame-o. Only eating steak is like limiting yourself to top 50 radio. Give me some sauteed kidneys, some marrow bones, and some fried brain and I'm a happy camper. (But please, prepare them properly because badly made organ meat is seriously )

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    nose to tail eating, that's my motto dude.

• nose to tail eating, that's my motto dude.

Viva Fergus Henderson!

Cock's combs, brah...all about the cock's combs.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    glad you caught that reference

danno - at least you can get some decent seafood, smoked fish, etc no?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

danno - at least you can get some decent seafood, smoked fish, etc no?

Smoked fish we can get. Otherwise, seafood is no better than you would get anywhere else. In fact, aside from mussels, it's probably worse. Fredericton is inland and isolated. Fresh seafood was likely something of a luxury until not so long ago and it's not a part of the local cuisine. This is a beef and cabbage town that likes lousy pub when it eats out.

Fredericton does have great produce in the summer, including superlative apples. There's also a lot of very high quality Germanic smoked meets and excellent beef producers. However, you can't find any game birds, lamb is rare, and good chicken is hard to come by. No one can say I'm not suffering for my education!

• nose to tail eating, that's my motto dude.

AYO???

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Couldnt you get pre-shellsmashed fresh turtle meat.

I guess? I've never seen it. Getting the turtle isn't the problem. Finding a recipe that's decent is. I know one chef who's parents restaurant used to sell snapper soup. I tried to get the recipe from him before. He hasn't given it up yet. I'll ask him again. Another mystery of the kitchen is...Why are monkey dishes called monkey dishes? Who came up with that. I asked Jeeves and he came up with a hole lot of nothing.

Interesting you should mention this--I was just having a discussion about how Joy Of Cooking used to contain turtle recipes. Turtles used to be reasonably popular delicacy; now, for whatever reason, they've disapeared from our diet like so much else. Keep me posted on whether you get a turtle recipe.

Also, folks need to check out tampopo for a turtle as food scene...

My friend showed me an old copy of Joy of Cooking that had a squirrel recipe in it! There was a whole "game" section.

• My friend showed me an old copy of Joy of Cooking that had a squirrel recipe in it! There was a whole "game" section.

If you want some funny reading, check out the older Joy of Cookings...man, that is an A-1 cookbook. A lot of experts on the Joy say that the years from 50-53 are the top editions, with '51 being the Joy at its peak. (I had to research Erma Rombauer for a radio show a few years back, and got a crash course education.) I picked up a '52 used for like $10, so they're pretty easy to find.

The section at the beginning on Hosting a Cocktail Party is excellent.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Couldnt you get pre-shellsmashed fresh turtle meat.

I guess? I've never seen it. Getting the turtle isn't the problem. Finding a recipe that's decent is. I know one chef who's parents restaurant used to sell snapper soup. I tried to get the recipe from him before. He hasn't given it up yet. I'll ask him again. Another mystery of the kitchen is...Why are monkey dishes called monkey dishes? Who came up with that. I asked Jeeves and he came up with a hole lot of nothing.

Interesting you should mention this--I was just having a discussion about how Joy Of Cooking used to contain turtle recipes. Turtles used to be reasonably popular delicacy; now, for whatever reason, they've disapeared from our diet like so much else. Keep me posted on whether you get a turtle recipe.

Also, folks need to check out tampopo for a turtle as food scene...

My friend showed me an old copy of Joy of Cooking that had a squirrel recipe in it! There was a whole "game" section.

I always said I'll eat human if they cook it right...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What about the bug game? A friend brought back a container of this from Thailand.

Water bug - Mangda [/b]

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    What about the bug game? A friend brought back a container of this from Thailand.

Water bug - Mangda [/b]

I'd give it a go