P BROTHERS...

Comments

• "yes, there are some uk mc's that are tolerable..."

hush your mouth. theres a tonne of killer mc's from boogie down britain.

jehst has got a proper flow. kashmere has a great voice. lowkey is great. cappo is obviously the uk's down syndrome nas -

"i crush the imbeciles, i used to care but not now/ you lost out, too much fart in your mouth"

as is scorsayzee (although i hear he retired!!!!!)

and klashnekoff is running things on the road. yardie style.

anyone heard kashmere's new single? the zygote remix of "shaolin iron claw" is super duper heavy

• does anyone have the first three "heavy bronx experience" ep's for sale??

ive only got 4 and 5 and cant find the others.....

• No one fucks with Ivory when it comes to rap records and the fact that they work with BX people like sadat and money boss etc...is not because they shelved out a lot of money to be down

Exactly, and to my understanding the "Bronx" thing is symbolic of a back to basics philosophy i.e. "Loud drums" etc.

Nah, it's romanticising myths about NYC, while being disconnected from the Bx skreetz of today. Bit like MySpace Suburban Gangstas. Sure they make some nice beats though, same goes for a lot of UK producers.

Kalashnekoff is fucking terrible though!!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    No one fucks with Ivory when it comes to rap records and the fact that they work with BX people like sadat and money boss etc...is not because they shelved out a lot of money to be down

Exactly, and to my understanding the "Bronx" thing is symbolic of a back to basics philosophy i.e. "Loud drums" etc.

Nah, it's romanticising myths about NYC, while being disconnected from the Bx skreetz of today.

No, I think it is about the music mate...

Bit like MySpace Suburban Gangstas.

I definately think you have the wrong end of the stick here mate...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Bit like MySpace Suburban Gangstas.

yeah, I mean Delay argued about this (see my location) that "Disconnected from the street is the norm in Germany"...but I don't know if that holds for Nottz, too. I mean, it can be pretty rough there i guess. And like IM said, it's more a "state of mind" concerned with making music..."suburban gangsters"? i don't think so...and if HipHop is a global thing (which it is right now), the Bronx is universal, mang....

• Bit like MySpace Suburban Gangstas.

yeah, I mean Delay argued about this (see my location) that "Disconnected from the street is the norm in Germany"...but I don't know if that holds for Nottz, too. I mean, it can be pretty rough there i guess. And like IM said, it's more a "state of mind" concerned with making music..."suburban gangsters"? i don't think so...and if HipHop is a global thing (which it is right now), the Bronx is universal, mang....

Streets being rough has nothing to do with being "connected" to those streets, wherever they may be. They haven't paid dues in the Bx (how could they?) so they will always get the "who?" reaction. I will concede that they may be more connected than Delay.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I will concede that they may be more connected than Delay.

hahaha...indeed

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Mical Parkinsun

what kinda jerkoff name is that ?

Micall Parkinsun is fucking dope.

I've been rocking "I Don't Wanna Stay Here" for a minute now. Dude flips that Marvin sample like whoa and talks about regular life shit (raising his kid, etc.).

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF196610-01-02-02.mp3

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I Don't Wanna Stay Here is sick, agreed, Beat Butcha kills it with that one, definitely a producer to look out for...
    Also guesting on that lp is an emcee called Dubbledge, really charismatic and one of my favourites in a long while...
    Suprised with all these uk names there hasn't been any mention of any of the Poisonous Poets, Lowkey, Reveal, Stylah, Tony D, Doc Brown and Therapist are all doper than dope and it's gonna be a big year for them...
    Some talent coming from Wales too with Mudowth, Ruffstylz and Ralph Rip Shit....

Spaz The World is certainly not the UK Illmatic, i don't think one of those exists...

• hush your mouth. theres a tonne of killer mc's from boogie down britain.

Thank you, Pencilface. I shall cherish this quote forever.

• So Cappo deserves to be hated on because he doesn't have big tatoos and nice muscles? I know this cover

"nice muscles"??? lol i'll leave that one alone... but if you really think this guy is talented, why would you even think to make such an absurd comparison like calling it the "UK Illmatic" or whatever it was you said?

• well they must be doing something right if they're in the Zulu Nation...

• PM if you want to sell that vol.1 CD as I can't find it anywhere.

"this user does not accept private messages"

email me: [email]a.marshall@virgin.net[/email]

cheers noddy

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

For real, I think we should all do this. Imagine the Bay Area equivalents:

"The Boogie Down Berkeley"
    "Marina Bronx"
    "Oakland-Stuyvesant"

i'm not gonna get into this... let's just say, you are incorrect!!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

haha...

uk hip hop = women's basketball...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I think my original post was misinterpreted a bit... My point was, if you see UK hiphop for what it is, a different thing but often dope, Cappos debut would be the UK equivalent of Illmatic - a short consise album (so rare in hiphop these days) by a young MC that's dope all the way through with excellent production. My point wasn't to say "Spaz the world is as good as Illmatic". Cappo's taking a lot of heat from people considering nobody here seems to have HEARD the album though, but whatever... This is SOULSTRUT after all.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when you make ridiculous comparisons without backing them up or even attempting to justify them, people will react in a similar manner.

What did you think of the album? Just curious.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if that was a "try to get me to say i haven't listened to it" attempt, then it worked; i haven't listened to it. i also have no desire at all to check for any overhyped bullshit like this. if one were to post a soundclip, i would listen to it but i ain't going out to buy some shit because someone compared it to illmatic.

Fair enough. Anything I say by this point probably won't convince anyone to give the album an honest listen either, so I'll just leave it alone. I'll refrain from speaking on UK hiphop on this board in the future, and concentrate on the race threads where there's less chance of conflict...

when you make ridiculous comparisons without backing them up or even attempting to justify them, people will react in a similar manner.

• Ghost is sick. But I would've thought it was a bit too traditional for you these days, but awesome stuff.
    I haven't heard Nostaglia 77s Octet thing yet. Supposedly more like a live jazz group.

You might like Travis Blaque's two 12" singles...
    Produced by some Swedish dudes for a German label, Unique.

I presume you've heard Modaji's new album under the moniker HARVEY LINDO.
    That nu-soul, broke beat influence you like... No UK emcees oddly enough.

Hearin' Aid & Up Hygh from Sweden.

You should check for the Dutch label Kindred Spirits. Especially the 'Megaplast EP' by MWSLEE.

And The Politik's 'High Priestess' on Dopeness Galore I reckon you might like. More soul than hip hop.

Omar's new track 'Gimme Sum' on P-Vine from Japan is pretty dope. With Common & Rodney P.

Can't really recall a lot of recent stuff in that style. They are the ones that come to mind.

thanks for the recomendations, there are a few of lables/artists I wasn't up on.

I'm looking forward to the Up Hygh release that drops next month. I'm curious if it's going to be very dilla & sa-ra influenced.

i didn't make a comparison, just a comment. but it's an entirely different topic in itself, so i'll leave it alone...

uk hip hop = women's basketball...

Ha Ha, typical small minded mentality,the world is bigger than your backyard.
    Get out and see a bit of it mate...its a bit like me saying...

Americans = overweight ignorant rednecks...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Americans = overweight ignorant rednecks...

No, that's pretty spot on, actually.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    no overweight ignorant rednecks in Great Britain, right?

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    (note: I have posted before, but not often, so by way of introduction - I am, erm, English (half anyway), and have been into hip hop since the golden age of, erm, 97)

This post will no doubt end up convoluted and ineffectual, but here goes...

Firstly, "Spaz The World" as the UK's "Illmatic", in terms of the talented young emcee makes short album with good production, the comparison does hold up somewhat, although Cappo is a bit of an acquired taste outside of the uk hip hop zealot circles (and obviously no Nas). He is a thoroughly nice chap, though, and the P Brothers have beats for days (although they are obviously not Extra P and Primo), and retrospectively, I'm quite glad the Skitz-Cappo hook up I tried to engineer never happened, ha ha...

But, I think British people have to come to terms with the fact that 99.9% of Americans into hip hop have no desire WHATSOEVER to listen to artists from this sceptred isle, and furthermore, artists from the UK can't expect to be given 'a fair listen'. That's just the way it is. Why would an American, bombarded by native hip hop 24/7 ever wanna listen to people rapping in a funny accent? I mean, the big thing about emcees in this country mentioning Eastenders, etc, in their rhymes is so that we can relate better, but that just serves to distance hip hop from these shores from being understood in the States.

I was gonna go off on one about the state of the current UK scene (quite healthy, even though everyone is an artist, there's no more fans anymore) but I can't really be bothered seeing as no-one's interested.

So, to finish up, a shameless plug - check for the 'Soul Trader' EP by Sonnyjim, featuring two beats by a certain JBC, and the 'Desert Sounds' EP when I get round to putting it out...

see - I said everyone was an artist.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    everyone is an artist, there's no more fans anymore

True. Why do UK artists even bother getting respect or featurettes from US hiphoppers ?

Plus, name one UK hiphoprapper who is hanging on every (male & female) 15-year-old's wall ? There's very few, yet there's where you gotta be to achieve real success, countless French, Dutch and German acts pull this off while keeping there integrity, performing on rock-orientated festivals and shifting units. What went wrong ?