P BROTHERS...

Comments

• djobelixdjobelix 23 Posts

as far as the general state of hip hop, the UK is on the verge of actually getting quite big

I wish I had a tenner for every time I've heard someone say this over the last ten years. I've even said it a few times myself. It's not going to happen. Critical acclaim in the blogosphere might create the impression that Dizzee, Roots, Micky Skinner et al are "big" in the US. The numbers tell a different story.

im not even talking about in US terms im just saying in terms of artists now being able to live off uk hip hop, that was almost unheard of a while back, if you wanted to live off uk hip hop it meant you had to be on dole or shotting something or other or both. i doubt we'll ever get to a state where UKHH artists are 'pop stars' so to speak but its all relative, anyway the US scene isn't the only territory Australia, Holland, Germany, Czech rep, etc... are all areas where UKHH has a really good chance of getting some decent exposure and becoming quite 'big'.

Well, that's a good thing, definitely. The mere fact that it's now possible to walk into the bigger HMV/Virgin stores and see huge sections of the racking given over to UK material has to bear out what you're saying to an extent - it wouldn't be in those kinda places if people weren't buying it, after all. Nevertheless, I'm afraid I'm no longer one of those people, and I speak as someone who goes back to the days of Kold Sweat, MC Duke, Gunshot and all that lot. I still maintain that UK acts will always suffer from the kind of disadvantage that someone like, say, Akhenaton in France will never have to worry about, simply because he knows there's no point in trying to compete with the Nellys and Fiddys of this world on their terms (not while he can regularly shift six figures at home, anyway). There's often a tendency for people over here to claim that UK hip-hop would get a foothold in the US if only it was given the chance, but if the artists themselves are no longer deluding themselves that this is ever likely to happen, then that's real progress.

hey man agreed, some people over here are in some sort of denial, i mean i don't see why producers can't blow up in america but being a bit of bastard foreigner with no real roots i can see how the americans could be put off by the accent and the fact that they can't relate to watching eastenders or going down the chippy before match of the day its a culture thing. personally the term 'blowing up' should be down to sales figures not where the records were sold.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well, I don't know if the accents are the problem people... Americans simply DO NOT HEAR any UK rap... I've only been made aware of Dizzy & M.I.A. (who I dig) and Roots Manuva and Lady Sov (whom I can't stand) and thats far more than most American rap fans have ever heard... in fact its mostly college rock fans who have even heard of the acts I've mentioned, for the most part rap fans would be completely unaware of them.

There is SO MUCH underground American rap to pursue one would have to have a deep interest in the UK stuff just to ever hear it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There is SO MUCH underground American rap to pursue one would have to have a deep interest in the UK stuff just to ever hear it.

If just one cat were to really get beyond the college/alt demograph, that would really help. I'm glad cats on here can drop some names I can check for. But good luck in convincing the "local HighSchool Black Experience".

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

And all ???Bronx??? lingo the the P-Brother use is just silly.

Not really, it's being used to reference to a certain artistic style or sound.
    Akin to Puts/Beatnuts copying CTI/Bluenote lp covers...or certain rappers renaming the hoods where they live after the worlds trouble spots...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

If just one cat were to really get beyond the college/alt demograph, that would really help. I'm glad cats on here can drop some names I can check for. But good luck in convincing the "local HighSchool Black Experience".

The Dizzie Rascal gig in Williamsburg was described as a hipster rave. I thought the beats were cool, rapping was bad. Really bad.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Akin to Puts/Beatnuts copying CTI/Bluenote lp covers...or certain rappers renaming the hoods where they live after the worlds trouble spots...

Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm
    Scarface
    Murder Inc.
    Khaddafi
    David Banner

Co-opting is quite a tradition. Is the goal is to mimic an era or distinguish oneself from the established styles?

BAPES anyone?

Do you think its an unjust comparison ???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm
    Scarface
    Murder Inc.
    Khaddafi
    David Banner

Co-opting is quite a tradition. Is the goal is to mimic an era or distinguish oneself from the established styles?

BAPES anyone?
    All of the people you mentioned are not associated with music in any fashion while all this Bronx shit is.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Until you can at least admit that the "Bronx" business is a bad look, I don't think any American on this board is going to take anything else you might have to say about UK hip-hop seriously. Just saying.

Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm
    Scarface
    Murder Inc.
    Khaddafi
    David Banner

BAPES anyone?
    All of the people you mentioned are not associated with music in any fashion while all this Bronx shit is.

True dat, true dat.

Just sayin'. Just to stretch the boundaries of BITING. The "rules" have been shattered some many times, I'm still on the fence on this concept.

Oh yeah.........................

I'm from/in THE BRONX.

Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm

BAPES anyone?

Yeah, the thing here is that Iraq is sufficiently far removed from Queens that it is clearly a metaphor--nobody ever mistook what CNN was doing for an effort to pass themselves of as genuine Iraquis or anything like that. Whereas these dudes are trying very hard to pass their music off as being rooted in a distinctly New York tradition and throwing "Bronx" around like that seems disingenuous.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i imagine all these mufuckahs acting like they're all down in the bronx and getting robbed just on the principle

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i imagine all these mufuckahs acting like they're all down in the bronx and getting robbed just on the principle

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a while.

Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm

BAPES anyone?

Yeah, the thing here is that Iraq is sufficiently far removed from Queens that it is clearly a metaphor--nobody ever mistook what CNN was doing for an effort to pass themselves of as genuine Iraquis or anything like that. Whereas these dudes are trying very hard to pass their music off as being rooted in a distinctly New York tradition and throwing "Bronx" around like that seems disingenuous.

Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm

BAPES anyone?

I think the difference is that CNN did that as effort to project a"Hardcore/Violent" image.
    While the P Brothers use the term "Bronx" to signify a more "traditional" hip hop sound.

So is it disingenous for Puts/Beatnuts to cover their product in direct copies of Bluenote/CTI sleeves???

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

There was a dude rocking this hat/hair combo in earnest at the shitty college bar I hung out at over the wknd

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i imagine all these mufuckahs acting like they're all down on Soul Strut and getting clowned just on the principle

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That "Bronx" shit is corny, no matter how you look at it.

I've always thought so.

Just be british, dammit. Rap about tea and double decker buses and shit. I don't think it's the accent either. Look at slick rick and, uh, dana dane.... hehe.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Noreaga
    Irag
    Desert Storm

BAPES anyone?

I think the difference is that CNN did that as effort to project a"Hardcore/Violent" image.
    While the P Brothers use the term "Bronx" to signify a more "traditional" hip hop sound.

Hmm, the Bronx is pretty hardcore and violent as well; seems like a lot of folks abroad eschew that for the "traditional hip hop sound" that doesn't even get much play in the present-day Bronx.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Hmm, the Bronx is pretty hardcore and violent as well; seems like a lot of folks abroad eschew that for the "traditional hip hop sound" that doesn't even get much play in the present-day world.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the funny thing about this whole bronx thing is that people who know rap will think they're out of touch and people who don't know rap will think they're out of their god damn minds

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

There was a dude rocking this hat/hair combo in Ernest Goes to the shitty college bar

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    P Brothers and Lewis Parker are holding it down for that "real hip hop schitt" for sure.
    I checked out Parker's myspace page,he got some nice beats,much better than the one ghost decided to use from him.
    Didn't he realize his boy Raekwon already used a beat with that dells sample on his last album.

• Who cares what the Americans think of UK hip hop. Its not for them & thankfully it has pretty much never been made for them. Us Aussies can relate more to UK hip hop that they could. Hence our liking of it.
    Its also a good tight community in each county/city.

Good music doesn't necessarily equate with financial success or public awareness...
    Industrious relentless promotional marketing has more to do with percieved success. I'd hardly judge anyone on that aspect.

...as for MIA, Mike Skinner, Dizzze, Lady Sov.... please...
    replace with Tempa, Skinnyman, Karl Hinds, C-Mone...

I'd probably rate Lewis Parket over Cappo, but then others would rate Jhest.

anyone seen this new UK film yet? KIDADULTHOOD[/b] Looks right proper..

• Just my tuppence worth, but I think y'all are getting WAY too het up about this Bronx thing. They way I see it, they're just tossing it around as a kind of joke term, like the way dudes say shit like 'Tepid Terds' 'You mad doggie' 'Ghey' etc etc here. Probably started off as something dumb someone said once, then they picked it up and started to use it as a catch-all term that could be slipped in anywhere.

British SOH doesn't always translate.

Right now some of you look like the sort of asshurt (hey there's another one) backpackers, that you'd make a concerted effort to distance yourself from. You're getting all passive-aggressive over the co-opting of 'Bronx' like they'd get all crysy over dudes not taking all that four elements stuff seriously.

Just my tuppence worth,

Right now some of you look like the sort of asshurt backpackers,

Indeed, people are taking this waaaay too seriously, at the end of the day they make good beats, have put out some quality records and mix cds.
    Maybe there is a little jealousy in the air...???

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Edit out the jealousy part, as it's kind of stupid.... you doing well up to then though...

Indeed, people are taking this waaaay too seriously, at the end of the day they make good beats, have put out some quality records and mix cds.
    Maybe there is a little jealousy in the air...???

Comedy

Edit out the jealousy part, as it's kind of stupid.... you doing well up to then though...

Do not listen to him--he just wants to stifle your comedic impulses.

Take the jealousy accusations further!