Beginning Of The Week Finds(Funk Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Found this at one of my stops on the way home from work today.....any info out there??

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    found a copy of this about a month ago unfortunately it is VG-/G+.

sounds good and I wish I had a cleaer copy. I've been wondering how well known this LP is too.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    what kind of music? blues? R&B?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I'd say "Funky Black Man Soul" but what the hell do I know..

Guzzo???

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I was out in El Paso again for a wedding and a friend told me about a new antiques shop with a load of cheap records. I only got to hit this one spot while in town but left with these five records. The Chicago 13 record on the right is a Mexican pressing.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    After a bad day, I stopped by a used bookstore on the way home:

Got from there some other dollarbins in nice shape: Sugarloaf - S/T, couple of ike and tina's, Sonny james in Prison, etc.

I also found a nice downtown apartment in an old building for cheap!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I love that Monito De Chocolate cover. I wanna frame mine but it's kinda beat. Those don't go for too much, do they? I mean, music-wise it's not nearly as dope as some of their others. Well, from a SoulStrut perspective at least. Now my MOM'S perspective on the other hand...

Herm

OH SHIT!!! I just realized you found that Missing Link LP, too!!! Plaese to send to me!!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Plus I got a WLP of Frank William's Rocketeers "The Spanish Flyer" /"You Got To Be A Man" 45 on Phil L.A. of Soul.

1. Nanette Workman - great Carrie Nations sounding b-side, veering between freakbeat and country rock w/ fuzz gtr solo. Got the album too - it's mostly moody 1970 UK MOR but really good IMO.

2. Frank Williams - all ya'll know the classic funk 45 JB-ripping flipside, but the a-side is a good funky instro too.

3. Orange Peel - killer "I Just Wanna Celebrate" sweat rock soundalike from these German(?) progsters, as comped by Bam-Caruso about 10 years ago.

4. Gal Costa - Great set of mellow '74 Brazilian grooviness, opening track comped on SAMBA SOUL 70. Thank you SoulStrut Gal Costa thread.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Most of this is from over the weekend, except I copped the Harlem River Drive
    OG and William Fischer tonight, at this tiny spot that never seems to have
    new records ... I went in at 8:58 and they were all, "we're closing" and I
    could see the bins were overflowing with an unexpected restocking...
    I only got from jazz A-H before they were like "OK GOTTA GO" and in just that
    2 minutes I scored the HRD and Fischer for $12 total! I seriously want to
    go back when they open tomorrow and see what other unpicked gems are in there.
    Mancini was sealed for $5.
    Got the Funkadelic on Friday, actually before the whole OG Funkadelics are common
    thread, and I'm almost embarassed to post it, cause that copy is VG at best
    and I was tired of having a reissue and bought a beat OG just to
    "have it" I guess scratched or not, it does sound better than
    my Scorpio boot/reissue joint. Muddy Waters on Cadet Concept, on the other
    hand, is one I patiently passed over lo-grade overpriced copies for a couple of years,
    and finally scored this NM beauty for a tenner.

That Eddie Henderson record is BANANAS!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yeah, that Eddie Henderson is dope. I'm gonna have to give that one a spin soon, it's been a while. That William Fischer is killer too. You best be going back tomorrow morning when they open and report with the last half of the alphabet, yaoming?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'd say "Funky Black Man Soul" but what the hell do I know..

Guzzo???

yeah you right about that.

southern sounding a la stax but a little more sloppy.

Anybody got any further info on this?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    nice scores, Soulonice!

southern sounding a la stax but a little more sloppy.

which is not a bad thing at all.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    when I can to that Shawn 45 I almost passed out until I realized it was the reissue. Oh well, great track though

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Plus I got a WLP of Frank William's Rocketeers "The Spanish Flyer" /"You Got To Be A Man" 45 on Phil L.A. of Soul.

1. Nanette Workman - great Carrie Nations sounding b-side, veering between freakbeat and country rock w/ fuzz gtr solo. Got the album too - it's mostly moody 1970 UK MOR but really good IMO.

2. Frank Williams - all ya'll know the classic funk 45 JB-ripping flipside, but the a-side is a good funky instro too.

3. Orange Peel - killer "I Just Wanna Celebrate" sweat rock soundalike from these German(?) progsters, as comped by Bam-Caruso about 10 years ago.

4. Gal Costa - Great set of mellow '74 Brazilian grooviness, opening track comped on SAMBA SOUL 70. Thank you SoulStrut Gal Costa thread.

Am I correct in assuming you 'found' these in your mailbox?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yeah that Eddie Henderson is really good. I might have to break that out again soon as well. I found a .50 steel drum record that's got a couple nice cuts on it. It's by the Bermuda Steelers and it's called Life. I don't know shit about steel drum music but i was feelin' this one. that and a tell it like it is 45 are about the only things i've picked up in a few weeks. February was a rough month.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Chuck Armstrong was a journeyman of sorts originally from Texas, but made his name in Miami during the '70s.
    In addition to the R&R LP, he also issued these 45s:

"A Better Place/ See-Saw Love" (Black Rock 2001)
    "How Sweet It Is/ I'm Gonna Forget About You" (Sound Stage 7 2640) 1969
    "World Of Trouble/ Keep Your Mind On Me" (Sound Stage 7 2658) 1970
    "Poor Make Believer/ I'm A Lonely Man" (Top Hit 33079/ 80)
    "Poor Make Believer/ I'm A Lonely Man" (REW 33079/ 80)
    "Black Foxy Woman/ Foxy Funk" (Drive 6629) 1973
    "She Had The Right/ Give Me All Your Sweet Lovin" (R&R 15313)
    "Something Gotta Hold On Me/ Pt. 2" (Konduko X-10) 1979

Armstrong is backed by the mighty Oceanliners Band on his Drive 45.
    Local Florida producer Robert Reese issued "Poor Make Believer" twice (Top Hit for the Miami market and REW for the Chicago area).

• Options

Tough Roots Radics-backed DJ business.

Fucked up reggae funk by the master. A double.

Rootsy congo driven rasta ode. Same track as a soul-reggae 45 out of NEw York on the Nu Sound label (if I'm not mistaken)

Boom early digital thing. I'm getting into this stuff now.

Ill Familyman BArrett produced LP with a couple deep roots track, some Bob covers, and a straight soul version of Freddie Macgregor's "Zion Chant"

Um, bassy JA pressing of a reggae masterpiece.

with "behold" on the flip. 2 sided jamaican soul killer.

Killer ska track with high jazz quotient.

Funk JA style breaks monster (with awesome reggae soul "Holding On" on the flip). Old store stock. Get at me.

Amazing deep reggae soul track that I'd wager LARGE[/b] coin is arranged by Wayne McGhie.

A Day on the Bus, K in Canada.

• Options

Armstrong is backed by the mighty Oceanliners Band on his Drive 45.

The Konduko too?

K in Canada.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

Dam man those are some nice finds, you get thos in Toronto?

• Options
    Did.

K.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Am I correct in assuming you 'found' these in your mailbox?

"If posting mailbox finds is wrong / I don't wanna be Reynaldo"

• Options

Dam man those are some nice finds, you get thos in Toronto?

You happen to be a tall skinny kinda shy always asking for Perry early 20-something?

K.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    dont think so...since I dont know who perry is, first description fits though

• Options
    As in Lee Perry - must be a different kid.

Kevin.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    ohhh ok umm ya guess not, what shop was it at?

• Options
    Too much info.

K.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    haha alright, dont want to give up the spot

• Options
    Sure i will - my place.

K.

• I try not to do this too often but can any one give me a price czech on this kind of lame prog album that I picked up today? My usual on-line resources aren't giving me anything. It's Ache - Pictures From Cyclus Seven, Holland press. Oh, and I don't know if anyone cares about this stuff anymore but there's a pretty decent break on the first song.