Video of beatmaking

rorororo 22 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
here's a video of a famous french beatmaker called 20syl.http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=KNB61CLF and here's his myspace : http://www.myspace.com/20syl peace from paris

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Watched it already. Very nice. He's so quick.

But that's what I was always thinking: a decent musician should be able to make hip hop beats within a few hours. It's not that hard, unless you're not a musician.

But that guy has a marvellous feeling (no homo). He plays the right instruments too. (He must be rich - playing a near mint Rhodes, a good guitar, all that equipment, all the records in his Expedit.)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i guess the file size is an issue, right?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• hatter

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

explain that. what are you missing?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    post some more comments on that video, please.

• Next Level...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

explain that. what are you missing?

Damn!! Isn't it clear!??

:Eh!: :WAX WAX: :Eh!:

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Nah! Seriously, don't ask me what I think about that video, nor the beat! Thank you.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Nah! Seriously, don't ask me what I think about that video, nor the beat! Thank you.

seriuosly, why? that ugly?

• a decent musician should be able to make hip hop beats within a few hours. It's not that hard, unless you're not a musician.

i cant say i agree with this at all. it IS that hard to make a GOOD hip hop beat. yeah anybody can make A hip hop beat. sometimes i feel when a "musician" is making hip hop beats, they tend to be too "musician" about it and not raw enough.

He plays the right instruments too.

and this brings me to my next point - anybody with all of this shit can make a hip hop beat sound nice. that doesn't mean they make the best hip hop beat, but it means that the more proper your equipment is the more likely your shits gonna sound clean, as long as you know how to work all your shit. you can have the best instruments and gear in the world but if your shit doen't have that edge to it, it's gonna go in one ear and out the other.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    a decent musician should be able to make hip hop beats within a few hours. It's not that hard, unless you're not a musician.

i cant say i agree with this at all. it IS that hard to make a GOOD hip hop beat. yeah anybody can make A hip hop beat. sometimes i feel when a "musician" is making hip hop beats, they tend to be too "musician" about it and not raw enough.

He plays the right instruments too.

and this brings me to my next point - anybody with all of this shit can make a hip hop beat sound nice. that doesn't mean they make the best hip hop beat, but it means that the more proper your equipment is the more likely your shits gonna sound clean, as long as you know how to work all your shit. you can have the best instruments and gear in the world but if your shit doen't have that edge to it, it's gonna go in one ear and out the other.

I understand that. But seriuosly, what do you think of that beat. Review it. Honestly, I think it's cool. There's nothing wrong about it.

I think he's still doing well. It's not easy to work that quick and still get the sound right. (Although I still think a "real" musician would son him anytime.)

His beat is lacking that certain edge?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Grope, com'on!!... this is just a video of a dude who's makin' a beat in his lab, with machines and instruments... nothing else.

What am I missing? I don't see, for real!!

And please, don't say I'm a cause I'm not.

I don't see nor hear something special.

BAPT

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yeah.

That dude is talented, though. He must be pretty paid too judging from the $1000's of dollars worth of equipment and instruments he had in there.
    I think it was cool but yeah, it was lacking something. It sounded kind of over produced and too clean. That's just my opinion. I think he's got skills though. Now I'm gonna go bite that little hi-hat trick he did.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

AYO

• dayday 9,611 Posts

AYO

haaahahahahaaa

the more I watch it with the "AYO" underneath the funnier that shit is

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I felt dude's head nod was a bit off. The chin squawk headnods are not a good look. You have to just come correct and bring the forehead down. He will never sell a beat to a client if it summons the spirit of an ostrich into his neck that's for sure. Well other than that I thought his bio de-quantization skills were pretty good, as Day noted (HI DAY!(How are ya?)). But yes this is an average beat that neither goes somewhere nor has the golden bars that sound great looped forever. I'd be interested in hearing his best music though, as this seems more of a quick little tutorial beat.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing his best music though, as this seems more of a quick little tutorial beat.

Do you mean that this is a "Eyh! Y'all I got beats" kind of thread...? Nahmsayin?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I liked the beats he had on his myspace page,he's not down playing his Jay dee influences for sure.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yeah.

That dude is talented, though. He must be pretty paid too judging from the $1000's of dollars worth of equipment and instruments he had in there.
    I think it was cool but yeah, it was lacking something. It sounded kind of over produced and too clean. That's just my opinion. I think he's got skills though. Now I'm gonna go bite that little hi-hat trick he did.

sayin'!

for a quick beat making tutorial, it's pretty decent. i wouldn't be able to work quick like that. but then again, i'm no musician. haha

yes, the certain edge is missing. i wasn't going to say that the beat is perfect or anything. but he's skilled. i think he could do pretty good stuff. with his equipment and his skills.

bapt, i know you're not hating, but i'm no producer. so i was trying to understand what other beatmakers would say to his stuff.

clean sound = mpc 2000? haha

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Shit no! It has to do with the way he recorded his instruments. I did the same thing years ago trying to sample them and use them in a beat. For some reason the grittiness gets lost unless you use some kind of external effects before hand.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Shit no! It has to do with the way he recorded his instruments. I did the same thing years ago trying to sample them and use them in a beat. For some reason the grittiness gets lost unless you use some kind of external effects before hand.

just kidding.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the heatmakerz make faster and better beats

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whats that little string instrument thing he plays right before the "the beat" segment comes on

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    whats that little string instrument thing he plays right before the "the beat" segment comes on

haha... looks like a traditional Bavarian instrument.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    The beat is dope , the guy got great skills, there's not much producers that can play instruments so

• Next Level...

How does a clip of Ph*l A**er's son on MPC make it onto the internet?

This is probably my favourite MPC related video

• ericeric 155 Posts
    word,