Classic Thread ..... CTI talkin'

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

C.T. = " are you sure ?, I'm afraid we are makin records that will take up Fatback space and bother him"

F.H.= " don't worry, in retrospect he will allow to give you credit for the foundations of what they will call smooth jazz."

HAHAHAHA!!!!

• Damn - fatback is going soft on me. well, damnit - I have NO CTI's! NONE!

And I'm bloodthirsty to get my snob on! ECM? Muse?

Bring 'em!

First Terje Rypdal on ECM.

I can't listen to those ECM records...THEM SHITS AIN'T FONKY!!!!

ECM is for people masturbating with Keith Jarret trio

there are a couple ECM's I'll tentatively stand up for.

• aint no elitism...really CTI is a style of music as well as a label...I just dont dig that style...slick, polished, cheesy keyboard tones, icky fusion chord voicings...not my thang. I dont think any CTI artist's best work is on CTI, 'cept for Bobby James. If you like CTI, you are a very lucky person, because you can get them for cheap and they are plentiful...more power to ya.

cheesy keyboard tone ?......mmhh I don't agree....... I like old raw atlantic records as well as some CTI..........it depends by the mood........but I would call Chick Corea fusion more than Muhammad's Power of Soul......and I agree that not everything is good but that's why I asked opinion to people abt those records you see in the 1st page of the thread........the whole thread was for people who dig CTI in the first place

the whole thread was for people who dig CTI in the first place

those three letters smell like blood in the water.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

C.T. = " are you sure ?, I'm afraid we are makin records that will take up Fatback space and bother him"

F.H.= " don't worry, in retrospect he will allow to give you credit for the foundations of what they will call smooth jazz."

Why would you even care what Fatback thinks about CTI?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

HAHAHAHA!!!!

that is funny as shit. especially since the Hubbard CTIs are what I've been thinking about.

• there are a couple ECM's I'll tentatively stand up for.

Abercrombie!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Then I got into Jack McDuff. I used to got to sleep listening to that shit, thats where the jazz inluence came from. Album wise is started buying jazz first  then a lot of soul. 

Growing up in Detroit

For me everything was always music, like from school, to marching bands, going to church  my parents forced me into it  Im glad. They made me play an instrument. It was very strict and kind of rough because I wanted to hang out and do what everyone else did. I guess I wouldnt be doing what Im doing now  so I thank God for that. 

What was happening club wise / DJs

3 clubs 

Dance Street  Techno Shelter
    Rhythm Kitchen  The first Underground Hip Hop club. 
    A very small percentage of Detroits population was going to this club and out of that club a lot of different MCs and DJs who were regulars, grew. Eminem for example.

Dance & techno

I used to also check out the dance and techno clubs, I love that music, disco classics  old school Sundays were incredible. Used to go to Chicago over there theyre into 
    something else. ShocK bar which my manager Timothy took me to. They were playing shit you would never hear in Detroit. In Chicago they would go further than standard classics.

From 92

Shopping a Slum Village tape around, then AMP Fiddler called me once again out of the blue. I hadnt talked to him in about a year and a half. There was a Tribe Called Quest concert. Amp, a good friend of Q  Tips recommended I bring my tape along. Cut a long story short Tip liked the beats, but wasnt too sure about what Slum Village were 
    saying, they were too Out there for him at the time. Tip managed me and thats when the Pharcyde came along. Madskills was the first artist on a major label that I produced in 1994, after that was the Pharcyde, then De La Soul.

Influences

My Dad, JBs, Jack McDuff, Sergio Mendez, Slave, Prince, Chaka Khan. Theres quite a few.

Instruments

Drums, keyboard, cello, trumpet, violin  mostly drums.

If you werent making music

Ok  either a director of X  rated movies, I cant lie Im 
    a nasty. Or Id be flying planes because I went to this crazy arse school in Detroit Davis Aerospace. There you could get your FAA license. I was thinking about going back, but the music started to take off.

DJs

The Wizard from Detroit brought more of the Hip Hop over. Mojo still going today play a lot of Parliament and Zapp sound to Detroit. DJ Fingers, DJ Zapp at the Dancestreet.

Labels

A lot of Verve, definitely CTI, Disco labels Salsoul Started buying records in 1989 Re- started collecting records in 1995. Production came from DJing. I was curious about how records were made. 

Whodinis Big Mouth.

I Always tell that story  I didnt understand how the drum sounds were made because they didnt sound like anything on a Stevie Wonder record and it just fucked my head up. So eventually one day I met this guy called Amp Fiddler, A keyboard player who guided me and let me see how records were made and also introduced me to different musical forms. He had a record collection I used to dig through  he really got me. I just met him walking around in tie dye clothes looking all crazy, into the Hip Hop thing. And he said, 'are you guys rappers or something?' I told him I was doing production but I was doing it on tape decks. So he was like oooh man, come on in and he showed me how to work the MPC.

First Production

Front Street  by First Down who is actually Phat Kat  who Im still messing with.

R.I.P. JAY DEE 
    LaserWolf

• Serioulsy thoug.... it was probably just a buncha creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections rockin' Grover Washington box sets

• rayray 77 Posts
    That Jim Hall Concierto is actually not that bad at all.

The first side doesn't do anything for me, but the title-track which takes up the enitre B-side is pretty good. They kind of screw around for the first minute of the song, but once the open bassline comes in, I am really feeling the rest of it...

But honestly, there aren't any CTI's that get regluar listening.
    I will admit to liking the 'Flow' album which I do listen to on occasion....

Labels
    A lot of Verve, definitely CTI, Disco labels Salsoul Started buying records in 1989 Re- started collecting records in 1995. Production came from DJ???ing. I was curious about how records were made.

oh come on!

sigh.

why you gotta bring him into this?

Oh, I get it, you're trying to rally a bunch of soulquarian nut nibblers to help us pretend these aren't crappy records. Cool. Where are they?

Save that shit for the next Salsoul thread or...

• R.C. = "read here what they are sayin'"....

W.I. = "I agree..... ECM is connected to the street way more than Creed Taylor"

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Tek it ez FATback yo!

You have your point of view, I got mine...

As a beat maker, musician (not collectro) CTI records are great.
    Plus, who can say that Don Sebesky is wack when it comes to arrange orchestrations or play piano (Giant Box)

There is a couple of CTI records I'm thinkin about right now that are really good, FOR ME.
    - G. Benson - "The Other Side Of Abbey Road"
    - G. Benson - "Shape Of Things To Come"

(...)

Bapt.

I see the crystal raindrops fall
    And see the beauty of it all
    Is when the sun comes shining through
    To make those rainbows in my mind
    When I think of you some time
    And I want to spend some time with you

Just the two of us

• D.S. : " beat makers , musicians (not collectro) knows that I'm not wack when it comes to arrange orchestrations or play piano (Giant Box)"

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This is getting boring. Can we talk about pedophilia or best time of the day to have sex?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

best time of the day to have sex?

I prefere the morning, you?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Morning too, with Airto "Fingers" as background music

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Morning too, with Airto "Fingers" as background music

:got it: I even have the poster...

Airto "Fingers"

good for certain times of the month

Not a Sebesky fan.

I love BJs strings on Johnny Hammond's version of Rock Steady though! That's my kinda shit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Airto "Fingers"

good for certain times of the month

and if youre feeling adventurous "Skydive"?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

cmon, I HATE beats, hi hop, rap music,

Why do some hatt on hip-hop and rap music?

And what the fuck is "hi hop"?
    LaserWolf

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    can we at least acknowledge this?? 

• all of these below probably fall in the weak "flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings" category

so pick the ones you actually listened and considered "more than listenable"

for example know this one below, it's a good album !