Classic Thread ..... CTI talkin'

Comments

• bob james 1, 2, & 3 anyone?

• R.C. = "read here what they are sayin'"....

W.I. = "I agree..... ECM is connected to the street way more than Creed Taylor"
    ron carter's handlebar 'stache =

• Someone sell me David Matthews "Dune" for cheap.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    man, this thread reeks of fashion accesory music enjoyment.

I'll agree that dude put some stnkers up and asked how they sound but there are a few nice pieces on that label, Red Clay is not exactly a piece of shit nor is Milt Jackson's "Sunflower"

theres a nice Astrud Gilberto on there too.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    man, this thread reeks of fashion accesory music enjoyment.

yo what's new.

Milt Jackson 'Olinga' ain't too shabby either.

• Someone sell me David Matthews "Dune" for cheap.
    10 bucks. HOLLER.

• REAL TALK: there isn't a single CTI album that I can listen to (or feel like listening to) from start to finish. lot of nice 1 or 2 trackers though.

• REAL TALK: ........ lot of nice 1 or 2 trackers though.

that's true but you can describe the same way most of Prestige joints from the late 60's for example, so I simply don't understand all the sarcasm, irony and the whole snobbish attitude towards CTI when you ask opinon on some of their rackords .....

anybody can explain me please ?

• so I simply don't understand all the sarcasm, irony and the whole snobbish attitude towards CTI when you ask opinon on some of their rackords .....

anybody can explain me please?

When the CTI albums fail, they fail as Elevator Music. That might have something to do with it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On a serious note: I always loved the glossy, laminated CTI covers, but lately I found 2 or 3 where the laminated thingy starts to self-peeling-off. This is killing me, I can stare at a half-laminated cover. Just the other day I removed the thing completly from a Hubert Laws.

Ideas?

• so I simply don't understand all the sarcasm, irony and the whole snobbish attitude towards CTI when you ask opinon on some of their rackords .....

anybody can explain me please?

When the CTI albums fail, they fail as Elevator Music. That might have something to do with it.

I agree that the weak, late 70's stuff could be considered Elevator Music, but I'm sure that most of you are not so excited to hear all those Gene Ammons, Rusty Bryant fast paced bop, blues and ballad either ...... So I wonder why if you discuss Sonny Stitt's Soul Electricity they will not be that sarcastic

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I have to confess. Dune is one CTI I have not heard.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

CTI Disco record. It's as bad as you might imagine.
    If that was a George Benson rackord it would be beneath most folks' contempt, but since it's Dave Matthews it gets a pass. Oh, and I think it has a break. So there's the other reason for a pass.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

not that good...I like about 4 seconds of that record

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

not that good...I like about 4 seconds [/b] of that record
    Probably the break.

not that good...I like about 4 seconds [/b] of that record
    Probably the break.

The beginning of the song silent running....

• I have to confess. Dune is one CTI I have not heard.

If that was a George Benson rackord it would be beneath most folks' contempt, but since it's Dave Matthews it gets a pass. Oh, and I think it has a break. So there's the other reason for a pass.

man, y'all makin me not want this record now. lol. i've just been doin the knowledge on D. Matthews after getting that Grodeck Whipperjenny and readin' about him in Wax Po. Interesting cat. I guess I had imagined it had a real good chance to be a bad record, but I like the cover. Shoulda bought the one for $2 on ebay the other day.

maybe i should focus on "shoogie wanna boogie" instead...is that one any good? thanks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

man, y'all makin me not want this record now. lol. i've just been doin the knowledge on D. Matthews after getting that Grodeck Whipperjenny and readin' about him in Wax Po. Interesting cat. I guess I had imagined it had a real good chance to be a bad record, but I like the cover. Shoulda bought the one for $2 on ebay the other day.

maybe i should focus on "shoogie wanna boogie" instead...is that one any good? thanks.

I haven't heard any record credited to Matthews worth owning... and I don't particularly care for the Grodeck LP either... though I LOVE his JB arrangements...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Stick with the Whipperjenny - trust me.

I haven't heard any record credited to Matthews worth owning... and I don't particularly care for the Grodeck LP either... though I LOVE his JB arrangements...
    So is this guy (Matthews) an overrated terd?

• I have to confess. Dune is one CTI I have not heard.

do you know how many JB arrangments he worked on ?....just a bunch......the whole "JB arranger" hype around him is to me

do you know how many JB arrangments he worked on ?....just a bunch......the whole "JB arranger" hype around him is to me

Have you seen him dance? He killed it at Bonnaroo!

• Stick with the Whipperjenny - trust me.

and just let it end right there? the completist in screams "noooooo!!!"....so many pretty record covers i seen........

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Stick with the Whipperjenny - trust me.

and just let it end right there? the completist in screams "noooooo!!!"....so many pretty record covers i seen........

Ok, get "Sho is funky down here" too and call it a day.

• don't waste your time, one of the few arrangers that made great records is this guy ... look for his records NOW !!!

cosign on Johnny Pate

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    don't waste your time, one of the few arrangers that made great records is this guy ... look for his records NOW !!!

OK, but real life size picture was not necessary...

• don't waste your time, one of the few arrangers that made great records is this guy ... look for his records NOW !!!

OK, but real life size picture was not necessary...

he definitively deserve real life size picture anytime somebody refers to him....

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    please comment on the albums below

Skylark is a beautiful record by a great player.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    One from the archives