Classic Thread ..... CTI talkin'

Comments

• luckily Birdman9 came to rescue ! thanks man I was alone here fronting all these hatters

• Now somebody is going to come on here and list some of the "good" CTIs. Don't.

Please. Just fucking spare us today.

Fair enough, I've always known CTI was one of those polarizing musical topics. I'm a fan, but I wouldn't even try to sell someone on why CTI is good. Guess I have bad taste in jazz. They put out tons of records I quite enjoy. What I like about them though is that they *aren't* expensive, and somehow I can always find one I don't have even in a place that's chock full of nothing but the shittiest and most common of rock records. Hey, I like records that fans of shitty rock records like!

• CTI is jazz for everyone..........down with the elitism in jazz !!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    pre-CTI Creed Taylor is a whole nother shit.

Plenty of crappy Verve Creed Taylor stuff. I can live without most of those Jimmy Smiths, some are good, some are terrible. But what do I know? I hate Rush and enjoy that Gabor Szabo on Salvation, or Kudu or CTI, whatever.

The CTI stuff is worth the 2 bucks you pay for it, and barely worth even trading in for credit if you find yerself with doubles. I think this is the source of many Mighty Collectro's frustration with CTI. They take up space, there's no bragging rights and the worst ones are barely discernible from the greats, because they all sound pretty much the same, AND they won't make you any money or trade.

hence the hatt.

faggit CTI trick tittie bitch.

keep you're Bad Bad Bensons and Uncle Funky(sic).

Just stay the fuck away from my shitty mid90s rap.

•  

to listen CTI !!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I have love for CTI. Not every record, but they put out records I still enjoy listening to. I don't understand the hatt.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

faggit CTI trick tittie bitch.

Leave my titties outta this, hairlip.

I fucking own Creed Taylor. Don't forget that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a perfect example of how SO cool alll you are.
    to cool for cti.
    get a life.

why?

why what?

[is this] a perfect example of how SO cool alll you are?
    [are we] to(sic) cool for cti?
    [do we need to] get a life?

i'm confused

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Serioulsy though, I doubt that any discriminating jazz heads EVER dug CTI. Untill "beatheadz" made them "all hip hop and shit", it was probably just a buncha creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections rockin' Grover Washington box sets.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this thread has been done before, i just dont see why the same people have to waste their time making people who might like a couple cti albums(how can you not)feel like insignificants that have bad taste in music, and the music they like sounds very similar just on a more rare label.

the elitism is overwhelming.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    a perfect example of how SO cool alll you are.
    to cool for cti.
    get a life.

why?

I dig a bunch of CTI LPs but I am not so obtuse as to not understand why some folks hate on it! CTI=easy target! Lots of redundant filler! Does not impede my enjoyment of the ones I like. So what.

Just like my hatred/lack of respect for Rush should in no way ruin Dubious' day. I mean, what correlation could there possibly be?

this thread has been done before, i just dont see why the same people have to waste their time making people who might like a couple cti albums(how can you not)feel like insignificants that have bad taste in music

It's fun, and our duty as people who have good taste.

and the music they like sounds very similar just on a more rare label.

Not true.

• " better leave now fellas, ain't no love for us here on soulstrut"

Creed was trying to do a new version of Impulse! Hiring RVG, big glossy gatefolds etc. Jazz heads paid attention for a while. But he went on to build a reputation for flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings. In retrospect he can also take credit for the foundations of what we now call smooth jazz.

• Serioulsy though, I doubt that any discriminating jazz heads EVER dug CTI. Untill "beatheadz" made them "all hip hop and shit", it was probably just a buncha creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections rockin' Grover Washington box sets.

cmon, I HATE beats, hi hop, rap music, still I love improvised jazz oriented combos with a funky rhythm section

and that came after being in a Deep Purple cover band wen I was younger

Serioulsy though, I doubt that any discriminating jazz heads EVER dug CTI. Untill "beatheadz" made them "all hip hop and shit", it was probably just a buncha creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections rockin' Grover Washington box sets.

cmon, I HATE beats, hi hop, rap music, still I love creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections.

and that came after being in a Deep Purple cover band wen I was younger

• Creed was trying to do a new version of Impulse! Hiring RVG, big glossy gatefolds etc. Jazz heads paid attention for a while. But he went on to build a reputation for flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings.

......and why one should dismiss that label's music ? just because of what Jazz Heads said thirty years ago ?

• Reading this thread makes me feel like listening to all that CTI stuff again!

Creed was trying to do a new version of Impulse! Hiring RVG, big glossy gatefolds etc. Jazz heads paid attention for a while. But he went on to build a reputation for flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings.

......and why one should dismiss that label's music ? just because of what Jazz Heads said thirty years ago ?

I'm saying this now. Not dismissing the label. But the crap/quality ratio is not in their favor.

• Serioulsy though, I doubt that any discriminating jazz heads EVER dug CTI. Untill "beatheadz" made them "all hip hop and shit", it was probably just a buncha creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections rockin' Grover Washington box sets.

cmon, I HATE beats, hi hop, rap music, still when I was 14 I loved creepy, hairy dudes with lotion collections, that helped me to get into improvised music.....

Reading this thread makes me feel like listening to all that CTI stuff again!

Because these threads come up every few months, I'm always going back and trying to weed out some CTIs. Outside of the 15 or so titles that are good, I keep trying to outbox about 20 medocire CTI titles, but I keep them and they just take up space and bother me. I think Birdman hit my feelings exactly.

• Creed was trying to do a new version of Impulse! Hiring RVG, big glossy gatefolds etc. Jazz heads paid attention for a while. But he went on to build a reputation for flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings.

I'm saying this now. Not dismissing the label. But the crap/quality ratio is not in their favor.

I asked some opinion on those specific records, but you can answer only if you listen to music not calculating the crap/quality ratio of the label before you spin the record ........

Damn - fatback is going soft on me. well, damnit - I have NO CTI's! NONE!

And I'm bloodthirsty to get my snob on! ECM? Muse?

Bring 'em!

Creed was trying to do a new version of Impulse! Hiring RVG, big glossy gatefolds etc. Jazz heads paid attention for a while. But he went on to build a reputation for flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings.

I asked some opinion on those specific records, but you can answer only if you listen to music not calculating the crap/quality ratio of the label before you spin the record ........

Well, all the records you mentioned fall under "flat production, simple/catchy solos and syrupy strings." Or they are not good. The Hubert Laws is fine, but it's no Mic Geronimo the Natural.

I own more ECM and Muse than CTI. That's for sure.

• C.T. = " are you sure ?, I'm afraid we are makin records that will take up Fatback space and bother him"

F.H.= " don't worry, in retrospect he will allow to give you credit for the foundations of what they will call smooth jazz."
    LaserWolf

• Damn - fatback is going soft on me. well, damnit - I have NO CTI's! NONE!

And I'm bloodthirsty to get my snob on! ECM? Muse?

Bring 'em!

First Terje Rypdal on ECM.

I can't listen to those ECM records...THEM SHITS AIN'T FONKY!!!!

• aint no elitism...really CTI is a style of music as well as a label...I just dont dig that style...slick, polished, cheesy keyboard tones, icky fusion chord voicings...not my thang. I dont think any CTI artist's best work is on CTI, 'cept for Bobby James. If you like CTI, you are a very lucky person, because you can get them for cheap and they are plentiful...more power to ya.