Classic Thread ..... CTI talkin'

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited October 2015 in Record Collecting
please comment on the albums below

Comments

• please comment on the albums below

one of the grossest things I have heard, I owned it for about the exact time it took to listen to it and went right out and got a dollar credit for it at a shop.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Well, that's a nice Sportster 883 cc engine.

one of the grossest things I have heard, I owned it for about the exact time it took to listen to it and went right out and got a dollar credit for it at a shop.

Out of the CTI lps listed, Macho would be the one I would snag first. Its no Mizrab, but its a decent session.

Out of the CTI lps listed, Macho would be the one I would snag first. Its no Mizrab, but its a decent session.

I once heard it as being used as background music in a record store....it didn't sound so terrible

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    C

I

• C

I

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I ain't got nothing to say except that this album is really dope!
    For me, Hubert Laws's best album.
    A must have.

• is this good ?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    More like CT,WHY????

• C

I

Not a fan, crink?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    If some CTI were hand-illustrated-pencil-covers-private-press-raers, people would be droolling all over them. There, I said it. Now talk to my lawyers.

If some CTI were hand-illustrated-pencil-covers-private-press-raers, people would be droolling all over them. There, I said it. Now talk to my lawyers.

This is true though.

C

I

Not a fan, crink?

I've tried to find a CTI title that I can really stand up for, but I can't. BJ1 is about as good as they come, and I can live without it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hand-illustrated-pencil-covers-private-press-raers

I always end up sellings these when they sound like low budget CTIs.

• C

I

Not a fan, crink?

I've tried to find a CTI title that I can really stand up for, but I can't. BJ1 is about as good as they come, and I can live without it.

Crink, not even moongerms?

C

I

Not a fan, crink?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    hand-illustrated-pencil-covers-private-press-raers

I always end up sellings these when they sound like low budget CTIs.

And not exactly for $ 5.99, right? They may not be your thing, but collectros still want them.

Now somebody is going to come on here and list some of the "good" CTIs. Don't.

Please. Just fucking spare us today.

• C

I

Not a fan, crink?

if we are including KUDU, the Esther Phillips "whisper.." is the best of anything CTI related....great record.

C

I

Not a fan, crink?

if we are including KUDU, the Esther Phillips "whisper.." is the best of anything CTI related....great record.

1000% co-sign. that is a great record that cannot be tainted by Creed Taylor Affiliation.

pre-CTI Creed Taylor is a whole nother shit.

Verve? yeah, definitely.

• C

I

Not a fan, crink?

mmmhh, without offending anyone, let me say that you people sound a bit snob...how can you listen to Muhammad Power of Soul and don't like it ?

now seems it's fashionable to dismiss CTI with sarcasm and irony, still I'm sure that some people (not collectors) that ACTUALLY enjoy the music produced by CTI

C

I

Not a fan, crink?

mmmhh, without offending anyone, let me say that you people sound a bit snob...how can you listen to Muhammad Power of Soul and don't like it ?

now seems it's fashionable to dismiss CTI with sarcasm and irony, still I'm sure that are people that are not collectors that ACTUALLY the music produced by CTI

Why listen to jazz, or collect records if you can't be a snob about it?

Why listen to jazz, or collect records if you can't be a snob about it?

For real.

• ask to charlie christian fan

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Plenty of crappy Verve Creed Taylor stuff. I can live without most of those Jimmy Smiths, some are good, some are terrible. But what do I know? I hate Rush and enjoy that Gabor Szabo on Salvation, or Kudu or CTI, whatever.

The CTI stuff is worth the 2 bucks you pay for it, and barely worth even trading in for credit if you find yerself with doubles. I think this is the source of many Mighty Collectro's frustration with CTI. They take up space, there's no bragging rights and the worst ones are barely discernible from the greats, because they all sound pretty much the same, AND they won't make you any money or trade.

hence the hatt.

• All those Kenyon Hopkins/Creed Taylor records are

Rite of Spring has been played in this house more than once.