Weekend Finds AKA Let The Wang Measuring Begin!

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Top left- Kath, cool psych reish from rockadelic, thanks man
    Top right- Linda Rich- nice xian femme folk lp
    Bottom left- AJ "last song first side" great private psych recorded by dudes on acid on halloween circa 1973, thanks again Rich
    Bottom right- Gunter Hampel "cavana"
    and a Sly Slick and Wicked 45 on bad boys, confessin a feeling with love gonna pack up on the flip

• 12 Inches.

is this any good? a place I go to has had that the last three times and each time I almost get it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    found some basic shit for good prices over the past couple weeks:

• 12 Inches.

is this any good? a place I go to has had that the last three times and each time I almost get it.

It's just two sides of him talking in a relaxed kinda hypnotic way about LSD. It was actually more engaging/interesting than I thought it would be...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I did a gig a couple weeks ago & the sound guy for the band on after me was a guy I hadn't seen for about 10 years. Anyways, he said next time I was down his way to call in & I could have his record collection. I had to go to my cousin's birthday this weekend so I called in & picked up the vinyl on the way down. This is the result. Total cost 1 dozen Heineken.

I pulled about 50 keepers out of the pile, so it was definitely worthwhile.
    In related news, I have instantly gone from having no Sayer to having doubles of Endless Flight & a copy of his Greatest Hits as well as a couple hundred surplus $1 rock/pop records from the 70s/80s.
    Not shown is my green wheelie bin filled to the top with trashed broadway soundtracks & rock/pop commons. Fun times.

• That Terry Reid lp is great.

I swear that's Dante's favorite record.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    Bobby Thurston - "Sweetest Piece of the Pie" - Main-line, local DC label
    stone cold mint vinyl

Well, I dunno the man, but I recall a post a few months ago where he referred to Terry Reid's "River" as, I believe, an "easy glide stoner classic". The one pictured above is actally "Seed of Memory" from 76. "River" from 73 is more folk-oriented w/ little extra instrumentation throughout (except for some Willie Bobo percussion on one of the cuts). Really, they are both great and underlooked albums. Which do you prefer, Mr. Carfagna?

Well, I dunno the man, but I recall a post a few months ago where he referred to Terry Reid's "River" as, I believe, an "easy glide stoner classic". The one pictured above is actally "Seed of Memory" from 76. "River" from 73 is more folk-oriented w/ little extra instrumentation throughout (except for some Willie Bobo percussion on one of the cuts). Really, they are both great and underlooked albums. Which do you prefer, Mr. Carfagna?

FOR CHRISSAKE SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!!!

Haha. That's funny. I see how my post comes off, but it really stems from my obssession w/ tracking down Terry Reid albums over the past few months. I still need the second one. I just really dig those records and I am surprised the man didn't achieve more commercial success in the 70s (i.e., how come my dad didn't have these records?) Especially "Seed of Memory"....Graham Nash produced, they had Fred Wesley and a few other choice musicians on-hand......they must not've marketed this cat at all.

• Got an armload of stuff this weekend, but notably a cool conceptual music / art LP + booklet + pictures set that was put out in deerfield, MA (?).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    before the snow...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    stone cold mint vinyl

that's quite a find.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

There has been renewed interest in his work lately with the reissue of Terry Reid S/T. I am partial to July off that LP. Powerful yet sensitive solo acoustic guitar folk jammy about a girl. Mellow burn, indeed.

The River also can't be fuked with though.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hey Delay, is that the Turkish record for 7.95? I passed. no, it's good though, just no open braeks

Is that a Jakki in the bottom left?

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

That Terry Reid lp is great.

i really like bang bang. though ive heard his s/t is the best? still trying to find that one.

• Got an armload of stuff this weekend, but notably a cool conceptual music / art LP + booklet + pictures set that was put out in deerfield, MA (?).

Who's on it?

• gabor szabo - "jazz raga"
    blue magic - "s/t"
    oliver sain - "blue max"
    the astronauts - "everything is a-ok"
    the ventures - "surfing"
    big black - "lion walk"
    richie havens - "the great blind degree"
    the temptations - "cloud nine"
    marvin gaye - "trouble man" ost

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    stone cold mint vinyl

that's quite a find.

Thanks. Yeah It was the come up. I actually also got a grip of new school hip hop circa 1995. I'm going to bay the Bobby Thurston if anyone is interested. I got bills to pay!.
    S

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i found this in my mailbox, thanks m*tt

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo delay, big spliff---that turkish single was really nice. i heard it as they were pricing it.

anyways--here is my finds. fleas, thrifts and a auction house find (all 45s--about 400 of them for 5 bucks). 25 cents to a buck each (a few were 2 bucks each).

weird self-released/private horace silver lp (on his own label he made for that release-- with eddie harris, feather and bill cosby)

mega raer psych in that one -- private press pa. band brigg and a nirvana (60s psych-pop band) lp. also some taiwanese??? 60s pop/beat soundtrack lp? when searching this up--i came up with one of the soulstrut's 'ish' features with raj mentioning a similar record that he copped. weird how all things lead back to the stut!

12"s in that one that you can't see -- vin zee, ziggee toir's 'lectric ziggee groove' on tsom (sound of miami), jazzy d, etc)

garage/psych 45

garage/psych 45

rockabilly 45

a ton of other 45s--here is a list of the highlights:

elena black -- john steele/version (belomont 1982. joe gibbs produced)
    barbara & the uniques-- i'll never let you go/you're gonna make me cheat on you
    eddie bo - hook & sling - part 1/2 (scram)--awesome, awesome 45
    paul chaplain - shortin' bread/nicotine
    jennifer potter - star fish/if five years pass (weird psych-pop female vocals. very spacey)
    jj barnes - chains of love/baby please come back home
    john philips & his stone marching band -- the SOUL STRUT/that memphis thing
    general crook -- what time it is (part 1/2)
    fatback band - let the drums speak/yum yum (gimme some)
    a ton more...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    One score 5 bucks...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

PLease let me know if you're looking to trade or sell that Nirvana LP...

The Quest is one of my 10 favorite jazz LP's of all time, at least.
    I have the black cover with just proto-psychedelic text. Amazing album, maybe post-Bop's finest moment.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Bottom right, you got yourself a nice reissue of Jorge Lopez Ruiz "Un hombre de Buenos Aires". A 70's reissue, I think.

Why there is still no "King of finds" graemlin?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Now we're talking OG

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Crink

Drop names or you're soft.

Peace

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Crink

Drop names or you're soft.

Peace

It's a set (dunno if it's complete) of some Deutch Gramaphone Avant Garde imprint. Milton Babbit, George Crumb, Electronic stuff, etc..

Got a bunch records from the library of the University here. Their basement flooded and a dude I buy records from was called to come salvage stuff - so he ended up with 'em. They had all belonged to a semi-well known Bay Area jazz drummer.