Weekend Finds AKA Let The Wang Measuring Begin!

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    enjoy's are pretty random.

can't remember if it was that one or not by funky four but i think i pulled $75 or $80 on it about four months ago.

• I found a copy of Funky Four +1 "That's The Joint" this morning, first time I've found that. Worth much?

~$30

Damn, those classic Enjoys are all over the place pricewise

This stuff can go for peanuts on the 'bay sometimes, then shoot up inexplicably

You mean classic Sugar Hill?

It's always been a good ebay piece, that one. The other stuff is all over the place, although I have no problem selling it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Keep that Funky Four - it's the shit.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    in the mail

The Millenium-Begin
    Fat Gaines Orchestra-Today and Yesterdays(this is wicked)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    shit i thought this thread was gonna be about my boy:

• Not much today.

This incredible album became an instant favorite. For some reason only
    $3 in a store that prices jazz up - maybe the 1985 date kept the cost down-
    but it is really quite a listen. When I'm feeling more eloquent, it may
    be my first stab at a Waxidermy piece - but for now, this AMG review
    does a pretty good job of painting the picture:

Conjure
    Music for the Texts of Ismael Reed
    Essentially the brainchild of Kip Hanrahan, the loose-knit group known as Conjure brings to bear all the elements that he had fused so successfully in the various projects released under his own name: avant-garde jazz, Latin (especially Afro-Cuban) rhythms, and a deep, funky blues sensibility. Here, using texts from the contemporary author Ishmael Reed, he distributes the composing duties to everyone from Lester Bowie to Taj Mahal to Allen Toussaint, mixes a heady instrumental gumbo, and allows things to percolate to a fine boil. The cast of musicians is certainly of all-star quality, but special mention should be made of trumpeter Olu Dara for some heart-rendingly beautiful playing, Taj Mahal for his wonderful, raspy vocal delivery, and the entire cast of percussionists, astounding in their diversity of attacks. The pieces tend toward relaxed pop forms with vocals and approachable structures but always sporting a sharply honed edge, both in their musical form and in the pointed lyrical observations that are philosophical while retaining street-level grit. As on other Hanrahan productions, there are several pieces (like Bowie's "Fool-Ology") which might be popular hits in a more benevolent universe. Highly recommended for all listeners.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Not much today.

That Emotions record is so underrated. Everybody sweats "untouched" but that one is just as good if not better imo.

• Not much today.

That Emotions record is so underrated. Everybody sweats "untouched" but that one is just as good if not better imo.

hell yeah. plus a classic example of the source being even better than the song that used it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Not much today

Detroit Emeralds - You Want It, You Got It
    The Ebonys - S/T
    Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - S/T
    Great Moments In The World Of Sports - Narrated by Jim McKay

Thrift stores in westside Phoenix were pretty dry today.

• Wonderful week.

Wow. That Can record is the bomb.
    What's up with the bottom left album?

• Dennis Olivieri - record has its moments - I Cry In The Morning is the best track on there.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Random pickups thrift steez

• $1.00 a pop, The Blues Busters is the best record I've heard this year, like Sam & Dave with a Jamaican horn section. The 2nd lp is by this guy Zima, it's a 1981 UK private press, great instrumental reggae, Google revealed nothing on him, anyone know this guy? Also a big load of hip hop 12"s from 1989. Some of these are for trade/sale.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Wonderful week.

Wow. Those West Coast Pop Art and Can records are fucking great. Thats a hell of a haul. Whats the middle one on the right? I've never heard Magma or that particular Braxton.

• Wonderful week.

Wow. Those West Coast Pop Art and Can records are fucking great. Thats a hell of a haul. Whats the middle one on the right? I've never heard Magma or that particular Braxton.

I think that one is Annette Peacock.
    she sings through crazy electronic effects, with psychy moody loops. Pretty interesting record.

• Middle right is Annette Peacock "I"m The One" Lp which is great - out there jazz/funk with a kind of trippy feel to it.

The Magma is a live LP and can be found pretty cheaply online - but after looking I can't find any for sale or that have sold with the labels on this one.

There's more - just a matter of time before dude sells the rest.

• gah, olivieri!

Want want

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

Nice day....is that Love LP a gold label Mono???

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

Nice day....is that Love LP a gold label Mono???
    thanks. it is but its not in the best shape. seams split and a few scratches but still plays good.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I found a copy of Funky Four +1 "That's The Joint" this morning, first time I've found that. Worth much?

~$30

Damn, those classic Enjoys are all over the place pricewise

This stuff can go for peanuts on the 'bay sometimes, then shoot up inexplicably

You mean classic Sugar Hill?

It's always been a good ebay piece, that one. The other stuff is all over the place, although I have no problem selling it.

Thats even more shocking to me though, I wouldn't have guessed any Sugar Hill single could get thirty

• 12 Inches.

"5"[/b] Inches.

You were hallucinatin'

• That Terry Reid lp is great. First side is all post CSNY country rock goodness, second side is on some laid back mildly funkiness w/ Fred Wesley horns. They coulda came w/ a better cover though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

12 Inches.

don't you mean "Whooooooooooooosh!"

lol