Best Music-Related Movie Scenes

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I always quite dug the Yardbirds scene in Blow-Up with the slack jawed hipster crowd

For nostalgia, the scene in New Jack City with Flav on the mic over the 'The Show'

But really, I have to say that the scene in Boogie Nights, where Wahlberg and Reilly cut their 80's demo is a personal favorite:

Dirk Diggler: Look, man, all we need is the tapes, alright?
    Record Producer (Robert Downey Sr.): No, you don't get the tapes until you've paid.
    Dirk Diggler: In our situation, that doesn't make any fucking sense!
    Reed Rothchild: Look, we can not pay for the tapes, unless we take the tapes to the record company, and get paid.
    Dirk Diggler: Hello? Exactly!!
    Record Producer: That's not an MP, that's a YP, your problem. Come up with the money, or forget it.
    Reed Rothchild: Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are a uh um oh, you own them, alright, but the magic that is on those tapes. That fucking heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that! Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like assholes, man!

Anything and everything about Dirk and Reed recording their album is fucking great. On the two-disc DVD joint, they have outtakes of the end of the scene above, when Reed bitches out Michael Penn for not sticking up for them to the studio guy. They had to do a shitload of takes because John C. Reilly kept cracking everybody up with his speech. Michael Penn could barely hold it together.

There are also some classic deleted scenes, including one in which Dirk is adamant about wanting to do a slow song on his album, but wanting to do it a little faster than the typical slow song so it would really kick ass. So he tells Michael Penn to "speed it up a couple octaves." Genius.

I love that shit. To take the nerdiness to an even greater level, on the DVD for Transformers: The Movie, the soundtrack composer talks about how P.T. Anderson and Co. used "You Got the Touch."

A few of my favorites:

--Two old guys chatting about Gustav Mahler in Coffee & Cigarettes
    --The going-away party with the funk tracks in City of God
    --When Digital Underground and 2Pac get out of a speeding ticket by performing "Same Song" in Nothing But Trouble with Dan Akroyd on the harpsichord(!).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

A few of my favorites:

--Two old guys chatting about Gustav Mahler in Coffee & Cigarettes

I cried during that scene - it was beautiful and sad. Good one...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    my avatar got me thinking about all the great music used in the sopranos, especially:

police - every breath you take/henry mancini - peter gunn theme medley used in the first episode of season three when the feds are trying to plant a bug in tony's home, and they're tracking the family's every move

junior's operatic rendition of some ol' italian tune during the wake in artie's restaurant

frank sinatra - it was a very good year montauge, particularly the part with paulie

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mo Better Blues

Wesley Snipes(Shadow) tells Spike Lee(Giant) that his Denzel(Bleek) better not have scratched his rare out of print BIRD lp.

• Rosanna DeSoto breaking down in tears and Esai Morales screaming "Riiiiiitchieeeeeeeeee!" to the skies over Santo & Johnny's "Sleepwalk." (La Bamba)

• Rosanna DeSoto breaking down in tears and Esai Morales screaming "Riiiiiitchieeeeeeeeee!" to the skies over Santo & Johnny's "Sleepwalk." (La Bamba)

ahhhhhhhhh that seriously makes me tear up every time.

Esai Morales

so dreamy.

• my avatar got me thinking about all the great music used in the sopranos, especially:

police - every breath you take/henry mancini - peter gunn theme medley used in the first episode of season three when the feds are trying to plant a bug in tony's home, and they're tracking the family's every move

junior's operatic rendition of some ol' italian tune during the wake in artie's restaurant

frank sinatra - it was a very good year montauge, particularly the part with paulie

I thought the use of Van Morrison at the end of the last season worked really well. I can't wait for the new season to start.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The scene in Boogie Nights where they went up to the coke dealers house to rob him, Alfred Molina was talking about how he likes to make his own personal music tapes and Night Ranger's - "Sister Christian" is playing.

Also i like how they used Yaz's - "In my Room" in the movie "The Chocolate War"

• The scene in Boogie Nights where they went up to the coke dealers house to rob him, Alfred Molina was talking about how he likes to make his own personal music tapes and Night Ranger's - "Sister Christian" is playing.

That scene where the guy is setting firecrackers off the whole time totally had me on the edge of my seat.

The scene in Boogie Nights where they went up to the coke dealers house to rob him, Alfred Molina was talking about how he likes to make his own personal music tapes and Night Ranger's - "Sister Christian" is playing.

That scene where the guy is setting firecrackers off the whole time totally had me on the edge of my seat.

that scene is an ode to Putney Swope!

• The scene in Boogie Nights where they went up to the coke dealers house to rob him, Alfred Molina was talking about how he likes to make his own personal music tapes and Night Ranger's - "Sister Christian" is playing.

Unfortunately never saw it.
    Is there a similar scene?

you GOT TO see it.

yes, a similar scene. an assistant/sidekick to a dangerous and powerful business man keeps setting off firecrackers during a volatile business meeting held in a hallway.

you GOT TO see it.

yes, a similar scene. an assistant/sidekick to a dangerous and powerful business man keeps setting off firecrackers during a volatile business meeting held in a hallway.

OK, you convinced me.
    I just added it to my Netflix queue...

you GOT TO see it.

OK, you convinced me.
    I just added it to my Netflix queue...

cool - make sure you tell me what you think about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I loved how Alfred Molina explained the behavior of the guy setting off the firecrackers by saying, "He's Chinese." Uhhhh...OK, then.

By the way, my heat will rock you. My heat will roll you. Feel feel feel feel feel...feel my heat. OK, let's lay it down. Were we recording that?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I got three:

Clapton in Goodfellas, the scene where all the bodies are turning up.

The doowop in bronx tale, only have eyes for you, completely sets the scene for the movie

Halftime in Zebrahead, first nas solo song? not sure if thats even a scene, might be opening credits....

Resisting temptation to hit federline graemlin...

• -

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I love when the dude is rocking runnin through the jungle and crashes his car into the dumpster.
    I believe it's Lookin' Out My Back Door.

He is rockin runnin through the jungle at one point. Nevertheless, lookin through my back-door + car crash = classic.

I remember one time I was hittin up this garage sale with my friend. I saw a CCR tape and his car only had a tape deck so I bought it for the hell of it. We were joking around like "man, it'd be hillarious if we just put it in and 'looking through my back door' came right on ()... then we'd have to crash this peice".

We put the tape in, and lookin through my back door started playing. I laughed for 2 hours.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    "Stuck in the Middle With You" from Reservoir Dogs has probably made the most lasting impression on me. Quentin's got lots of great music in his films.

gotta agree with that as well as sam cookes change gon come in X

• jltjlt 8 Posts
    Clockers- opening seen I think. Crooklyn starts playin.

• Here's a couple:

The scene in Breaking The Waves just after Emily Watson's character passes away and there is a still life scene of a stone bridge (if I remember correctly) with Elton John's Yellow Brick Road playing.

The end of Down By Law when Roberto Benini is dancing with the woman they meet at that shack deep in the woods to Irma Thomas' It's Raining.

Another Jarmusch film: In Ghost Dog when Forrest Whitaker pops in a CD of Andrew Cyrille after he steals a car.

• Lookin' back on the track for a little green bag

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    (Int. Night Club)
    HORSEMOUTH: I don't feel too good in this place. Rockers music don't play.
    DIRTY HARRY: I and I will change the mood. (goes to DJ) The man play too much soul music.
    DJ: No, you can't say that.
    DIRTY HARRY: I and I come to change the mood. This is a take-over!
    (Dirty Harry throws out DJ, locks him out of DJ booth, stops disco record currently playing, puts on The Jays' "Queen Majesty.")

we need an mp3 of this!!!! I love that scene!

• I really love the way that Scorsese and PTA use music in their films. Too many examples to list for these guys.

That reminds me - the opening scene of Bringing out the Dead, with Van M's TB Sheets when they're driving in the ambulance. That's been my favourite track by him since then - that harmonica wailing hard kills me every time. Prolly the highlight of that particular flick really.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "Boogie Nights" has some great moments. The other song that Dirk and Reed sing, "You Got the Touch," is a cover of a song from "The Transformers" movie. I didn't realize this until several years ago.

http://youtube.com/w/Transformers----The-Touch?v=r2NLThJ2bqA&search=transformers%20touch

I like "Ooh Child" in the last scene of "Over the Edge"...

• Stawberry Letter 23 -> Samuel L Jackson sitting in his car (Jackie Brown)

La La La means i love you -> the kids in crooklyn sitting on the stairway

You've lost that loving feeling / burning and looting -> from the french movie "la haine"

Ride of the valkyries(sp?) -> apokalypse now

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

The Cars - Moving In Stereo
    Fats Times At Ridgemont High

• Another favorite musical moment is the strip club scene in Buffalo '66 with the strippers dancing to Yes' Heart of the Sunrise. Strange choise, brilliant.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    There are too many too mention, but

Ride of the valkyries(sp?) -> apokalypse now

is definetely in the top 5.