Best Music-Related Movie Scenes

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
(Int. Night Club)HORSEMOUTH: I don't feel too good in this place. Rockers music don't play.DIRTY HARRY: I and I will change the mood. (goes to DJ) The man play too much soul music.DJ: No, you can't say that.DIRTY HARRY: I and I come to change the mood. This is a take-over!(Dirty Harry throws out DJ, locks him out of DJ booth, stops disco record currently playing, puts on The Jays' "Queen Majesty.")

Comments

• I always quite dug the Yardbirds scene in Blow-Up with the slack jawed hipster crowd

For nostalgia, the scene in New Jack City with Flav on the mic over the 'The Show'

But really, I have to say that the scene in Boogie Nights, where Wahlberg and Reilly cut their 80's demo is a personal favorite:

Dirk Diggler: Look, man, all we need is the tapes, alright?
    Record Producer (Robert Downey Sr.): No, you don't get the tapes until you've paid.
    Dirk Diggler: In our situation, that doesn't make any fucking sense!
    Reed Rothchild: Look, we can not pay for the tapes, unless we take the tapes to the record company, and get paid.
    Dirk Diggler: Hello? Exactly!!
    Record Producer: That's not an MP, that's a YP, your problem. Come up with the money, or forget it.
    Reed Rothchild: Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are a uh um oh, you own them, alright, but the magic that is on those tapes. That fucking heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that! Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like assholes, man!

• Blues Brothers...pretty much the entire movie. Aretha, John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, the MGs, etc etc...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DJ related:

Any of the scenes in House Party with either Martin or George.

"I did it, two tears in a bucket, fuck it, lets take it to the stage"[/b]

And I will forever love the scene of hooking up the electricity in Beat Street and hearing:

"It's working, it's working, party people if your ready to rock let me here you scream, well if you really came here to party, then let me here everybody say, we came to party... now here's a funky beat"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ok - way too many...but:

The electric fan commercial in Putney Swope - some insanely amazing dirty instrumental soul.

The beginning of Sexy Beast - The Stranglers' Peaches.

The girl in the silver outfit sa-shaying down the street to the club in Ghost Dog - Willie Williams' Armagideon Time.

The Circle Jerks playing in the background in the nightclub where the aliens are having drinks in Repo Man.

The beginning of Do The Right Thing with Ms Rosie Perez - Public Enemy's Fight the Power.

Faye Wong rolling around on the bed, walking through the city...just about every third scene in ChungKing Express - Mamas and Papas' California Dreaming.

Ray Liotta driving around coked out and freaked out in Goodfellas - Harry Nilsson's Jump into the Fire (one of the most amazing songs ever by the way).

The pool party scene in Boogie Nights - one of the best sequences cut to Chakachas' Jungle Fever.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The Circle Jerks playing in the background in the nightclub where the aliens are having drinks in Repo Man.

Yes. And might I add:

Lisa Bonet (daughter) in Angel Heart getting fucked by Mickey Rourke (father) while blood rains from the ceiling and Lavern Baker's "Soul On Fire" is playing. I've never been able to listen to that song the same way since.

• "Stuck in the Middle With You" from Reservoir Dogs has probably made the most lasting impression on me. Quentin's got lots of great music in his films.

also, George Clinton in PCU!

• I like the scene in POINT BLANK, with Lee Marvin when he's at the nightclub and he's fighting with that dude.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I love when the dude is rocking runnin through the jungle and crashes his car into the dumpster.

I like the scene in POINT BLANK, with Lee Marvin when he's at the nightclub and he's fighting with that dude.

not enough people know about this film. it is so good. so good.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The scene in Riot On Sunset Strip where The Chocolate Watchband
    play is pretty sick...they just show the band do the whole tune
    without cutting away to anything else...

Also the Ampitheater scene in Wild Style

the house party in Quadrophenia

Some scenes from old movies include "Drum Boogie" in Ball of Fire
    with Gene Krupa and Barbara Stanwyk, also the scene where Elijah Cook plays
    drums at an after-hours jazz "jam session" in the film noir "Phantom Lady"

And one of my all-time favorite scenes, from this super-old Jean Harlow
    film, The Red-Headed Woman, circa 1931, where she is all broken
    up over this guy and goes to her bedroom, pulls out a 78 of this
    amazing western swing version of "Frankie & Johnny," and they play
    the whole tune as she lies on her bed and moons...you had to be there...

• I like the scene in POINT BLANK, with Lee Marvin when he's at the nightclub and he's fighting with that dude.

And just came out on DVD this past year - one of my favorites!

If you like Lee Marvin, give PRIME CUT a try. Lee's the northern mafia hitman with a heart of gold, Gene Hackman is the southern villain who makes his enemies into link sausage, Sissy Spacek debuts as a naked sex slave, and future BAD NEWS BEAR director Michael Ritchie is at the helm. Pretty sleazy stuff, but 100% entertainment, at least until the interminable thresher chase at the end which looks great but goes on for what seems like 13 hours.

• I love when the dude is rocking runnin through the jungle and crashes his car into the dumpster.

I believe it's Lookin' Out My Back Door.

I like the scene in POINT BLANK, with Lee Marvin when he's at the nightclub and he's fighting with that dude.

And just came out on DVD this past year - one of my favorites!

If you like Lee Marvin, give PRIME CUT a try. Lee's the northern mafia hitman with a heart of gold, Gene Hackman is the southern villain who makes his enemies into link sausage, Sissy Spacek debuts as a naked sex slave, and future BAD NEWS BEAR director Michael Ritchie is at the helm. Pretty sleazy stuff, but 100% entertainment, at least until the interminable thresher chase at the end which looks great but goes on for what seems like 13 hours.

yup - I have actually seen this gem of a film, too. The scene with the girls in the animal pen in the meat factory was...uhhhmmm, far out. I really like the washed-out 70's film stock look of it.

I like Lee Marvin in his non-western roles.

Spacek was actually an extra in Warhol's Trash a couple of years before. Ask me about more totally usless trivia!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Purple Rain: "That ain't Lake Winnetonka"

Up In Smoke: Battle of the Bands.

• The scene in Riot On Sunset Strip where The Chocolate Watchband
    play is pretty sick...they just show the band do the whole tune
    without cutting away to anything else...

co sign. The girl wiggin out on acid set to different colored lights is so

I also liked in Donnie Darko during the whole scene where tears for fears is playing and their going through the school in slow motion.

An unused scene in High Fidelity where he goes to a house with the "best collection I've ever seen." On the wall is framed 13th floor elevators, he pulls a god save the queen 7."

Downtown 81 with Jean Michel Basquiat. He goes to different underground sets from dope bands. He then walks through the streets of NY set to Dillanger "Cocaine in my Brain"

There are so many more I can't think of now...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The death scene in "harold and maude" where Cat Steven's "Trouble" plays over the heartbbreak.

The reggae song playing in the bar in the movie smithereens. ANyone know what that is?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Dean Stockwell lip synching "In Dreams" in Blue Velvet

The scene in Mean Streets where De Niro walks into the bar to "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

• The party scene in Ms 45 (Angel of vengeance) with that totally demented hippy funk tune accompanying the massacre. We used to cover that with the band I was in.

There's a very trippy club scene in Scream and Scream again (with Amon Corner?).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I always like the scene in "Thelma and Louise" with the Rasta biker blowing ganga smoke into the trunk of the car to the sounds of "I can see clearly now".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    three come to mind...
    1.that william tell/hyperspace shit in clockwork orange.
    2.donovan's atlantis when all those doods are getting iced in goodfellas.
    3.circle jerks/wild in the streets when they're skating down the airport's spiral ramp in thrashin' (total classic).

plus one bonus...
    back in 1997, i had a coked-out friend in santa monica play pavement's "strings of nashville" over the chase scene in seven (morgan freeman/kevin spacey) that was pretty

• I like it when the two cat killing kids are riding their bikes in Gummo and Sleep's "Dragonaut" is playing...

I also like the poker scene in "Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels" with the Castaways "Liar Liar"...

The party scene in Ms 45 (Angel of vengeance) with that totally demented hippy funk tune accompanying the massacre. We used to cover that with the band I was in.

whoa - i don't know too many people who have seen this.

what wasn't demented in that movie?

so good!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bubble bath scene in Superfly set to "Gimme Your Love." Old school back at it's finest.

• I also like the poker scene in "Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels" with the Castaways "Liar Liar"...

When dude loses everything, the camera is trained on his face as he's walking, it gets all jittery and "I Wanna Be Your Dog" starts up.... CLASSIC MOMENT!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I always quite dug the Yardbirds scene in Blow-Up with the slack jawed hipster crowd

For nostalgia, the scene in New Jack City with Flav on the mic over the 'The Show'

But really, I have to say that the scene in Boogie Nights, where Wahlberg and Reilly cut their 80's demo is a personal favorite:

Dirk Diggler: Look, man, all we need is the tapes, alright?
    Record Producer (Robert Downey Sr.): No, you don't get the tapes until you've paid.
    Dirk Diggler: In our situation, that doesn't make any fucking sense!
    Reed Rothchild: Look, we can not pay for the tapes, unless we take the tapes to the record company, and get paid.
    Dirk Diggler: Hello? Exactly!!
    Record Producer: That's not an MP, that's a YP, your problem. Come up with the money, or forget it.
    Reed Rothchild: Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are a uh um oh, you own them, alright, but the magic that is on those tapes. That fucking heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that! Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like assholes, man!

Anything and everything about Dirk and Reed recording their album is fucking great. On the two-disc DVD joint, they have outtakes of the end of the scene above, when Reed bitches out Michael Penn for not sticking up for them to the studio guy. They had to do a shitload of takes because John C. Reilly kept cracking everybody up with his speech. Michael Penn could barely hold it together.

There are also some classic deleted scenes, including one in which Dirk is adamant about wanting to do a slow song on his album, but wanting to do it a little faster than the typical slow song so it would really kick ass. So he tells Michael Penn to "speed it up a couple octaves." Genius.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Didn't even have to think about this one...

Laurel Canyon - Kate Beckinsale doing a striptease to Gainsbourg - Bonnie and Clyde. Sooo hot!

DJ Ferrari

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Practically every song in Shackle Me Not and Hokus Pokus.
    Tons of great songs

I've got a Dollar on a Platter and it doesn't really matter

• "Stuck in the Middle With You" from Reservoir Dogs has probably made the most lasting impression on me.
    For real - have never been able to hear this song in the same way since.

The death scene in "harold and maude" where Cat Steven's "Trouble" plays over the heartbbreak.
    That whole movie does the music right!

Another one I've always loved is in Drugstore Cowboy when Gus Van Sant uses Desmond Decker's Israelites during the road trip sequence.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    (Int. Night Club)
    HORSEMOUTH: I don't feel too good in this place. Rockers music don't play.
    DIRTY HARRY: I and I will change the mood. (goes to DJ) The man play too much soul music.
    DJ: No, you can't say that.
    DIRTY HARRY: I and I come to change the mood. This is a take-over!
    (Dirty Harry throws out DJ, locks him out of DJ booth, stops disco record currently playing, puts on The Jays' "Queen Majesty.")

Remooooooooooooooooooooooooove ya!

The intro to the movie was better though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I like it when the two cat killing kids are riding their bikes in Gummo and Sleep's "Dragonaut" is playing...

I also like the poker scene in "Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels" with the Castaways "Liar Liar"...

I love almost all the scenes in Lock, Stock when it comes to the music being involved. Right down to Police & Thieves to Zorba The Greek to the uses of J.B.

Quality flick